• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What if I just LIKE to Wavedash/Waveland, etc?

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I've been playing a lot of Project M recently, though I have no interest in being competitive at the game at all, I just find it fun (not that I could find decent places to play here, in Panama XP) and I've found out something.

I really enjoy wavedashing. Like...I'm not the best at it. I might just do a jump to airdodge by accident sometimes, but mostly I AM very consistent with it. Especially wavelanding, since it's much easier, but I just find it...fun.

Thus, even if I'm playing around with like, my little brother, or whatever, I'd just wavedash or waveland, because it just feels nice to move like that.

I was always under the impression that wavedashing and wavelanding were all things only competitive players used often in their arsenals, to get the better of their opponents and whatnot.

Does anyone else get this feeling of, like, freedom? Like you can just go anywhere, with no boundaries.

It's just really damn fun XP

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Yessss yessss

Soon you will learn the other wonders of freedom of movement

The options are limitless, you will understand soon. Eventually you will fufil your part of the great smash continuum. Everyone has a roll, and a place.

One of us, one of us.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Yessss yessss

Soon you will learn the other wonders of freedom of movement

The options are limitless, you will understand soon. Eventually you will fufil your part of the great smash continuum. Everyone has a roll, and a place.

One of us, one of us.
Are there any other wonders? XP

I've been experimenting with wavedashing back to grab the edge, if that counts.

5 successes, and 4 SDs so far.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
a tip i picked up for working on that (and anything that might get you killed, for that matter) is stamina with the blastzone wrap turned on. that way you just need to fall from the top back to the stage, which is typically faster than dying and respawning.

for more "fun stuff to do" you can see if marth can moonwalk decently. more practical movement tech is rar-wavedash, though. helps with the edgehogs.

Narpas_sword

a tip i picked up for working on that (and anything that might get you killed, for that matter) is stamina with the blastzone wrap turned on. that way you just need to fall from the top back to the stage, which is typically faster than dying and respawning.

for more "fun stuff to do" you can see if marth can moonwalk decently. more practical movement tech is rar-wavedash, though. helps with the edgehogs.
People forget about temple?

best place to try edge things, other than deep recovery things.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530

...oh yeah, how DOES one proceed to moonwalk? XP I've seen Ganon do it...

And yeah, I've practiced a bit of rar-wavedashing, specifically FOR getting on the ledge. ^.^ just need to get better at it.

Also Luigi just takes 2 wavedashes to cross Infinite Glacier. It's hilarious.

Last edited:

Bleck

Smash Master
N64 platformer, has lots of movement things reminiscent of wavedashing and such

CORY

wut
BRoomer
People forget about temple?

best place to try edge things, other than deep recovery things.
actually, yeah, i did : o

...oh yeah, how DOES one proceed to moonwalk? XP I've seen Ganon do it...

And yeah, I've practiced a bit of rar-wavedashing, specifically FOR getting on the ledge. ^.^ just need to get better at it.

Also Luigi just takes 2 wavedashes to cross Infinite Glacier. It's hilarious.
basically, you dash forward, then quickly move the stick to the opposite side, without returning the neutral OR pointing straight down. it's almost a half circle back motion. that's the basic idea, i think...

Last edited:

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
actually, yeah, i did : o

basically, you dash forward, then quickly move the stick to the opposite side, without returning the neutral OR pointing straight down. it's almost a half circle back motion. that's the basic idea, i think...
Wouldn't that just make me do a dash dance? >:

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Ahh, okay I getchu. So a semi-elliptical slide back ;3 I shall try it!~

Can all characters do this or just a few?

EDIT: nvm, just saw the wiki XP

Last edited:

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961

Marth can't moonwalk... Right?

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
Every character can moonwalk. Just wait till you're moonwalking all the way across the stages. It's such a great feels.
When we play at school casually (PM to give the newer players a "home-y" feeling coming in from Brawl), I just moonwalk during matches for no reason. If not that, Luigi wavedashes all the time. When you "master" these techs, so to speak, there's such a feeling of accomplishment every time you do it, since you don't have to get frustrated from the times that you mess up anymore.

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
Some characters can't moonwalk without first having momentum in the direction you want to moonwalk.

Starbuck

Smash Rookie
I know that you just play casually but maybe give l-cancelling a try. When I first picked it up I was amazed how quickly I started being able to move my character around the stage during play. If you enjoy the feeling of having freedom of movement, I definitely got that when I learned.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I know that you just play casually but maybe give l-cancelling a try. When I first picked it up I was amazed how quickly I started being able to move my character around the stage during play. If you enjoy the feeling of having freedom of movement, I definitely got that when I learned.
I already got that down ;P maybe not something I always remember to use, but when I consciously think "I'll attack with a SH dair and lcancel into a grab" or something, I can do it no prob.

Does l-cancelling work with every aerial btw?

As in, even Link's dair? XD

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
Every aerial attack, not specials. Link's dair is annoying to l-cancel because if you don't fastfall, he bounces off opponents when it connects. I think it might even do that when you are fastfalling.

MysticSkarps

Smash Cadet
any aerial move can be l-canceled, and it'll help link's and marth's aeiral game by a lot.

Phaiyte

Smash Ace
Every function of the game is accessible for everyone. No one just automatically receives basic skills by declaring themselves a privileged competitive player lol. I don't think anyone that's ever done it thinks wavelanding is unfun either.

Every aerial attack, not specials. Link's dair is annoying to l-cancel because if you don't fastfall, he bounces off opponents when it connects. I think it might even do that when you are fastfalling.
That mostly just occurs when you land on the ground and hit them at the same time. Fast falling makes it infinitely easier tho

Last edited:
Top Bottom