• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What grinds your gears in For Glory mode? (THE ROLLENING)

Astellius

Smash Ace
One thing I find pretty annoying is how, whenever someone plays Pacman, they always feel like there needs to be a fire hydrant on the stage at all points in time. This is especially annoying in 2v2, when you get paired up with that guy who always throws a fire hydrant down which the enemy then uses as a projectile against your team. Your "ally" doesn't care, because he thinks there always needs to be a fire hydrant on the stage. Pacmen apparently think that not having a fire hydrant on the stage is a fate worse than death, something so fearsome and terrible that it shouldn't be contemplated ever.

RandomAnimeGamer

Smash Rookie
NNID
Naruto-rox_1
3DS FC
0774-4508-4682
Anything having to do with R.O.B. and Ike.
(Also the immense lag some people have on FG. I play perfectly with people on the East Coast and in Japan, yet people in the West Coast of the USA lag like ****. I live in AZ to give a comparison to why it grinds my gears.)

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Wow. I fought a :4rob: today and there was so much lag. I mean, the match would stop every second kind of lag. Anyway, the R.O.B. kills me once and has the audacity to taunt. What kind of an idiot taunts during lag? It's not like we were fighting under normal conditions (and the kill wasn't anything special). I wanted to say something like "REALLY?" but he left right after.

Last edited:

RandomAnimeGamer

Smash Rookie
NNID
Naruto-rox_1
3DS FC
0774-4508-4682
Wow. I fought a :4rob: today and there was so much lag. I mean, the match would stop every second kind of lag. Anyway, the R.O.B. kills me once and has the audacity to taunt. What kind of an idiot taunts during lag? It's not like we were fighting under normal conditions (and the kill wasn't anything special). I wanted to say something like "REALLY?" but he left right after.
I love the :4rob: who just throw into aerial or spam Up Smash instead of actually use skill. Funny thing is that Lvl 9 CPUs do that too.

KevN くコ:彡

Smash Journeyman
I'm now fully convinced that For Glory is a disgusting cesspool of everything that is bad about the Smash community. You're better off fighting cpus than having to deal with the hell that is FG.

Aquasition

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1091-8948-2851
LINK. MOTHERF***** LINK. It's not even the standard FG links that get on my nerves, but the GOOD ones, the ones where you have to deal with the fact that they're going to force you into shield due to sheer projectile spam. The ones that force you into the air, meaning you have to deal with their godlike NAir priority and f***** Tethergrab. I could go on for ages about that Tethergrab, How it's the fastest tether in the game, how it's the longest tether in the game, how it has way too little endlag for such a move, how well it works with Jab 2, and how Link has a d-throw combo. Seriously, Link just forces you into shield/air with myriad projectile spam, then grabs you when you shield/land, thanks to a mix of relatively slow and relatively spammable projectiles.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
LINK. MOTHERF***** LINK. It's not even the standard FG links that get on my nerves, but the GOOD ones, the ones where you have to deal with the fact that they're going to force you into shield due to sheer projectile spam. The ones that force you into the air, meaning you have to deal with their godlike NAir priority and f***** Tethergrab. I could go on for ages about that Tethergrab, How it's the fastest tether in the game, how it's the longest tether in the game, how it has way too little endlag for such a move, how well it works with Jab 2, and how Link has a d-throw combo. Seriously, Link just forces you into shield/air with myriad projectile spam, then grabs you when you shield/land, thanks to a mix of relatively slow and relatively spammable projectiles.
I'm surprised you didn't mention his ridiculous range and kill power on his normals. Those smash attacks absolutely kill me every time. Then again, you main Ike, so I guess you're used to that, huh...

ghWyPakDzVvPncx76h2J

Smash Cadet
Honestly I'm surprised people get mad over the fact there's good ones. When I encounter a good projectile character I usually find it to be fun, then again I've been called SPAMMER countless amounts of times on FG just because I was using Duck Hunt. But it's also online where links dominate in that laggy environment, but I feel the smash 4 community is somewhat sheltered when it comes to projectile heavy characters. People should also remember that in games like Street Fighter you have projectiles, and you're going to have deal with them and let them swallow some of your lifebar for the sake of keeping yourself alive and alive in the neutral. Overall I can see to why some degree you are frustrated, but I don't really resonate with everything you say. But when you do fight a link player in real life hopefully you'll know that just DO NOT play against them on FD where they can abuse everything they have in their arsenal to work against your advantages.

DanceLouisDance

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1950-9158-5550
the lag and fg playerbase make me want to break my 3ds or smash up smash3ds soo bad i might as well this game is trash w/out online.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Oh don't worry, today was the worst on WiiU too.

I've never seen such an amount of coward, unfair, cocky morons.

People need to realise that Smash isn't a game of hide and seek, neither a 100 meters hurdles. Yeah yeah, I got it, you can jump, attack and fastfall. Now come fight? Please?

People NEVER take the initiative. FG is just a game of doing dash attacks and grabs, and predicting how long your opponent will shield your attacks or backroll now. It's really pitiful, it's a game where there's ZERO fun.

And For Fun is worse.

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
This is a weird one, but it's something that happens, so I'm gonna say it:
People who don't use the character they're best with just because there's a better MU.

Seriously, I have never touched DK, decided to pick him up literally (that needs underlining for emphasis - literally) an hour ago, run into a guy who counter-picks Sheik after doing respectably well with every other character he played, except Sheik. -and I mean it, my DK is not good, at all, and this guy was getting bodied (as Sheik) by me as DK, a character I picked up an hour ago...
I'm baffled, I'm genuinely baffled. Why counterpick a character you're awful as just because the game you just lost was literally a smash attack away from being yours?..

-actually, that in general. Why feel the need to counter-pick or re-pick again and again at all if you were doing really well? It's something I will never get. I at least tend to give a character a best out of 3 before I put them down and admit that character is defeated. It's like these people don't see or appreciate a close game when they get one. They obviously just see "all or nothing" which is totally wrong and potentially harmful to your skill. *sigh* Oh, FG people... -you disappoint me.

[Edit]: Oh, and I'm going to mention triple-taunting again because it's [SMAAAASH!!]ing annoying and keeps happening to me. One is enough, chill your ****, you egomaniac.

Last edited:

RandomAnimeGamer

Smash Rookie
NNID
Naruto-rox_1
3DS FC
0774-4508-4682
http://i.imgur.com/p7DZFl3.gifv
Every For Glory match with Link.

Poopencio

Smash Rookie
Make it short and sweet: What makes you rage in For Glory? What things does your opponent do in For Glory that sends you off and ticks you off?

For me, it's when I play a For Glory match and I fight a LINK user, and they just throw projectiles at me (As a Falco / R.O.B. / Pac-Man main, that's not smart.) And then when I get close they'll shield and up B out of shield or Down smash or just roll away til they're on the other side of the stage. And then when they get lucky enough to land a kill from spamming down smash or forward smash 1 and 2, they'll do his up taunt or down taunt and sometimes if they even WIN, they'll leave the room after being in the Viewing Results... thing for a long time, most likely saving a replay for them to laugh about how "good" they are or something. I only save For Glory replays when I go in deep with Falco , R.O.B. or especially Pac-Man. Or, if I get bodied by an ACTUAL good player who knows their character and does something flashy, like run off stage with Falcon and do a quick down air and it spikes.

What makes you guys mad in For Glory?
I hate fighting against Yoshi since he is very difficult to punish (especially down b >:( ) and rollout can sometimes be a painin the ass if you play a laggy character. Not to mention his recovery isn't **** anymore so it's even harder to deal with the damn thing. It is very satisfying watching Yoshis SD with side b or grab release

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
This is new one for me, surprisingly:
People who stop being polite when I start winning... It's cool to taunt at the beginning of matches, sure, but when you stop just because I kicked you into next week three times in a row, and then have the nerve to attack me while I'm taunting, you're a special, new level of assclown.

Shaymin slicker

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shadowshaymin
3DS FC
1547-5202-1903
This has been said so many times already but, I hate lag. Sometimes I will win because of lag and sometimes my opponent will win because of lag. Besides I hate having to look at the smash brothers logo in the bottom right corner while I do nothing for about thirty seconds. Also I can't pivot very well on FG either... (I can do it just fine offline though!)

Not only that, but when I see a :4falcon:player on FG I just roll my eyes. I've played really great Falcons before, and they are really fun to play. Most Falcons I see on FG are really...bad. He's the character I actually see the most on FG. I had a match where I didn't touch my controller for about a minute and the Falcon didn't move for a minute. He didn't even try to kill me. (I was at 97% second stock.)

Last edited:

Coolaid_Mix

Smash Cadet
NNID
Coolaid_Mix
3DS FC
5241-1940-9069
fight someone ONCE, win or lose, and then they leave immediately...

then there's tons of japanese players getting on and then immediately leaving without having a match, like I'm not worth their time or something, the nerve...
Gosh I hate that so much!

Coolaid_Mix

Smash Cadet
NNID
Coolaid_Mix
3DS FC
5241-1940-9069
Lets see. It is a long list.
1.) Lag
2.) Noss, Roy, and Little Mac players
3.) When people taunt
4.) Rolling
5.)Spamming (especially as Pikaqiu)
6.) People who purposely SD.
7.) Those Japanese people who join, then instantly leave. This always happens, and it is like 5 times in a row that this happens.
8.) People who post stuff like "USUK" as their name.
9.) The people who take for glory too seriously, or not serious at all.
10.) Lonk. I absolutely hate everything about Lonk. He is the worst character in smesh bras IMO.

D

Deleted member

:4link: is one of those characters that becomes a major pain in the arse online due to the inherent input lag (:4littlemac:, :4ganondorf: and :4dedede: are people I also see others have trouble with) since you'll have trouble powershielding his projectiles, especially against somebody who's spam-happy. Locally? Link isn't much of an issue. There's a good reason he has such low tournament representation.

KevN くコ:彡

Smash Journeyman
Dash dancing. Especially if it's only used as a taunt. Look, I know you probably just discovered comp smash and you want to show off just how good you are, but save it for the tournys. Otherwise you're just going to look like a douchebag.

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
Dash dancing. Especially if it's only used as a taunt. Look, I know you probably just discovered comp smash and you want to show off just how good you are, but save it for the tournys. Otherwise you're just going to look like a douchebag.
TBH Dash Dancing only ever peeves me if it's never actually used in a proper/useful sense. Had a Zelda player Dash Dance against me the other day after I accidentally SDd due to lag. Like, that's cute and all, you can mash left and right real fast, but do you know how to even utilise that strategy in a combat environment?.. No? Well stop pretending you know what a dash dance is really for... *eyeroll*

MacSmitty

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Seeker624
Switch FC
SW 1823 5909 5682
Last Night I fought two Wii Fit Trainers in Free For All where all they did most of the match was camp the ledge and spam Header. And since I had another player who often attacking me or one of the two, I often got hit by both soccerballs/footballs. I think they were in some type taunt party or something since they did that "hit-each-other-suicide" tactic.

Yoshister

Smash Champion
NNID
DinoandAllen1
3DS FC
5386-7994-1390
I reeeeeeeally hate it when people attack you while you're taunting. I find it more disrespectful and annoying than taunting three times in a row.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I reeeeeeeally hate it when people attack you while you're taunting. I find it more disrespectful and annoying than taunting three times in a row.
The worst is when they taunt as a sort of salute, then attack the second you start taunting back.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
This is definitely the worst indeed.

Same goes for people who attack you when you taunt to celebrate the good kill kill they did on you.

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
I don't see how people can complain about others hitting mid-taunt. Infact, the only time I hate hitting mid-taunt if it's during a mutual taunt, like at the start of matches, or when something incredible happens and you both just so happen to want to taunt it, and if someone hits me mid taunt like that, that's when I just show no mercy. I don't wanna be taunting your ass, have your taunt end early, then you charge me mid-taunt and KO combo me like everything's fine. Otherwise, it's just a hazard of the taunt.

If I think my kill was crap and you taunt it on respawn, you can bet your ass I'm gonna captilise on that waste of respawn invincibility. It sounds lame, but there it is. I love taunts, I do them often (Mostly side-taunt as Koops after a particularly good up-b2 hit.), I am the only one held responsible when I get my **** slapped in the middle of one, and so are you.

BarSoapSoup

Smash Journeyman
This is definitely the worst indeed.

Same goes for people who attack you when you taunt to celebrate the good kill kill they did on you.
I hate this. A Falcon player got an amazing reverse Falcon Lunch on me and did 'Show me ya moves!' I taunted as a sort of 'Nice one!' and he dash attacks me..

BarSoapSoup

Smash Journeyman
This one is odd, I have a lot of little annoyances (Sword characters, characters with counters, Ike in particular I struggle with, sadly), but the thing that gets me most is when my opponent slips up really bad due to lag or something, I give them a gentleman stock. But then when I slip up badly, they don't do the same. One DK player even taunted...

KirbCider

Smash Ace
The worst is when they taunt as a sort of salute, then attack the second you start taunting back.
I actually had a guy who did this to me a few days ago. He starts off with a Taunt, so I return the favor and he immediately charges at me and tries to attack. Thankfully I was able to dodge just in time, but one thing that peeved me the most is he kept trying to Taunt at the start of all the other matches. Did he really think I was going to fall for it again and let him get a free attack in or something?

I didn't bother to attack him during Mid-Taunt (although I should have), but I didn't exactly return Taunts anymore after the first incident.

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
I have a whole new level of hatred for people who treat you like trash in FG because you decide you're not gonna be the one to approach when you have a ranged game and they don't.

Just had a disturbingly stupid match that was me absolutely peeing projectiles as WFT at a powershielding/ledgecamping Roy for 2 minutes straight, catching the occasional roll with f-tilt (because if I got close, he just rolled to the other side of the stage), and occasionally just getting fed up and d-smashing him out of a roll at 150%. Only then did he bother actually attacking, at which point, I showed him how irritating he'd been by doing the same crap he had to which he responded by berserking me down, failing miserably, and eventually taking a fully charged, deep-breathing buffed F-smash to the face at about 80% while I was still on approx-50% and two stocks. Needless to say, he just quit after that. Probably crying and whining about spammers IRL or something, IDK, FG idiots know no upper level of idiocy.

Seriously, you're playing Roy and you're gonna try and camp WFT? Are you real? Are you really real? Just approach? What is wrong with you, this is a fighting game, not a "Be an idiot." game.

KirbCider

Smash Ace
Just had a disturbingly stupid match that was me absolutely peeing projectiles as WFT at a powershielding/ledgecamping Roy for 2 minutes straight, catching the occasional roll with f-tilt (because if I got close, he just rolled to the other side of the stage), and occasionally just getting fed up and d-smashing him out of a roll at 150%. Only then did he bother actually attacking, at which point, I showed him how irritating he'd been by doing the same crap he had to which he responded by berserking me down, failing miserably, and eventually taking a fully charged, deep-breathing buffed F-smash to the face at about 80% while I was still on approx-50% and two stocks. Needless to say, he just quit after that. Probably crying and whining about spammers IRL or something, IDK, FG idiots know no upper level of idiocy.
Ooooohhhhhh my god, yes. I wish I could Like this an infinite number of times but I cannot.

I've had several people just like this on For Glory who try to do this exact thing, especially when I'm a Stock ahead of them. I had a Ryu who did this while I was ROB. ROB you guys... He was so dodgy and always ran to the other side of the Stage. Never wanted to approach, or would fake one only to do a Hadoken and proceed to run away. Unless I tried to approach him he wouldn't really do a thing.

One match was even just us staring at each other for 30 full seconds at one point, but that was fine by me because oh I don't know... I was a Stock ahead so it didn't really matter anymore. I could wait all day and still win by default. I guess he didn't want to win that badly.

EleH

Smash Cadet
NNID
ssbguy13
3DS FC
3136-7287-8530
Picture this... You're stuck in the norm FG match with the stakes high at a single mistake. Not only that, but the lag spikes are incredibly annoying; striking at the worst times. After a good amount of effort though, you finally get a grab follow up. 'I can finally end this madness now!' you think, but just as you go up for the guarantee up air... LAG SPIKE!!! Delaying your input, which gives your opponent all the time in the world to air dodge and counterstrike because of your laggy up aerial. Said counterstrike kills you and sends you into outer space or wherever you go during a star KO.

And you wanna know the last thing you hear before you never see your opponent again?

"Oh, did I wiiiiiiin?"

Ugh, I hate Peach.

Her and Diddy, but that's another story.

Last edited:

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Laggy scrub Lucarios

Not normal FG lag, but actual unplayable lag.

Last edited:

Astellius

Smash Ace
I especially hate it when someone joins 2v2 and proceeds to be worse than useless by just utterly bringing one team down and making any attempt to have a match futile while they're still in the room. They die almost any time people knock them over the pit, and, plenty of times, they'll just die on their own. When someone like this enters the room, I usually then proceed to see how stupidly I can play and still kill them.

There was this one Lucina who pretty much only seemed to know how to do side-b. I then played as Mario and used my water cannon to just blow her over the edge all of the match. It was pretty ridiculous. By the end of the match, I literally had claimed 3 KO's while dealing 0 damage the entire match. I was both laughing and facepalming really hard.

BarSoapSoup

Smash Journeyman
Just came across a guy who taunted me 5 times thinking he got me. I choked so bad.....

Edit: That Mewtwo really kicked the **** out of me. So disheartening..

Last edited:

DarkAuraful

Torpid Dragon
Lag, especially during 1v1 FG matches.

Also, when I 1v1 someone with my Marth / Lucina and in the second or third matches, they switch to Marth. But it's all good though. It just means they will have to deal with my Link in the next match. (Personally I could understand if Marth is one of their mains or something, but it just annoys me for some reason because I often get the impression they think they could beat me with my own main.)

Also facing Ness players. I have nothing against the character himself, but all they do is spam PK fire then grab. Then I have to deal with the fair when I try to recover back to the ground.

Rinku リンク

Hero of "Likes"
NNID
JinnyK
When you main a character who revolves around projectile play like :4link:and they switch to a reflector character like :4falco:in an effort to "counter" you.

Then you just proceed to steam roll them again because you know how to handle those kind of MU's lol. You'd be surprised how many people I've fought panicked when I approached as Link the entire time. It's hilarious.

Shaymin slicker

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shadowshaymin
3DS FC
1547-5202-1903
I hate it when people just spam powerful moves like it's nothing and it doesn't hit at all (Like Ganon's U-Tilt). I played against a Falcon who tried to knee me throughout the whole entire match and one of those knees hit and it wasn't even the sweet spot (I ended up winning). However I don't think a Falcon would be going for knees every second. It's just very painful to watch in my opinion.

Last edited:

Goolloom

Smash Apprentice
Okay that might not be a For Glory only thing but who had the idea to make Sonic (or any othe character) say ''That was almost too easy!'' (Or the same sort of thing) when the have one stock left at 150%. I become a living salt mine when this happens.

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
When you main a character who revolves around projectile play like :4link:and they switch to a reflector character like :4falco:in an effort to "counter" you.

Then you just proceed to steam roll them again because you know how to handle those kind of MU's lol. You'd be surprised how many people I've fought panicked when I approached as Link the entire time. It's hilarious.
As someone who plays Falco, I've actually had moments where I've played projectile heavy as Falco and had my opponent counterpick Falco and spam reflector in some insane attempt to counter my projectile game (Yeah, I have no idea either.).

It's also something I used to face a lot when playing Duck Hunt, but since reflecting 2/3 of their projectiles is nigh-useless since they either break on reflect or just don't do enough/anything, and the other is impossibly easy to punish/dodge when reflected, you can imagine people didn't get the hint.

It's also something I infuriatingly come across painfully often as Robin. But at this point, I'm dead-set that Robin might as well just not have a sword because it's not like anyone in FG treats her like she does. >_>'' What makes this particular one worse is the fact that Robin's Levin Sword is probably her best tool IMO, and one of her (more common) projectiles whiffs 99% of the time when reflected (Arcfire. I can literally count the number of times I've been hit by a reflected arcfire on one finger. One.).
It's "By book, blade and crest of flame." not "By book, book and crest of book.", people!

Top Bottom