• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What grinds your gears in For Glory mode? (THE ROLLENING)

SonicNKnux

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SonicNKnux
3DS FC
2251-4823-9526
I've been getting into :4jigglypuff: again since about 2 weeks ago, since she's faster in the air, and it's straight-up hard for me to stay on people as :4kirby: with any regularity without single-jumping or walking my way over to them. General consensus is, whatever strategy my opponent was going to use, they threw it out the window when they saw the :4jigglypuff: portrait. The game becomes an "I chase you around all game" match. It's fun sometimes, because 90% of the time I get to be the aggressor, but holy cow, no one wants me to get even a little close D: So yeah, having to chase people around all match unless I rollout can be a pain in the ass, especially :4sonic: and anything with a sword ( T_T)

During the 3-month period I played smash 64 on emulator in 2011(first time I ever played smash anything), I played :jigglypuff64:, :kirby64: and :ness64: a lot, but I really like the pink puffballs in this game enough to pick them up and play them again.

Abyssal Lagiacrus

Fly across the high seas and mountains
NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399
Facing Bowser Jr and the Koopalings. Screw that side special.
I've only come across like 2 legitimate players of the character (not counting when they salty counterpick to him after I win) and man they are terrible. They have no idea how to actually implement and use said special, and instead just think they can zoom all over the stage willy-nilly, with no plan whatsoever. Probably since it has some armor.
They got another thing coming when they face me. Since I main the character, I know all the ins and outs and how to fight against it.

Kind of sad how underplayed this character is, there's barely anyone who actually knows how to play as them without making a fool of themselves. When they salty counterpick him against me, it's always been super sad watching them try to use him as I destroy them and gimp the daylights out of them.

---

Also something that has always irked me on For Glory is the amount of people who think that the only viable approach option is:

Jump -> Air-dodge -> Aerial

No matter how many times I punish it, they just keep doing it as if it's super safe because "xd airdodge so i'm safe"

Last edited:

Mario123311

Smash Ace
The fact that pretty much every server I tend to go has either a Shulk or one of the "Three Marths" as I like to call them. If you're wondering why, it's because of like Little Mac was back in For Glory's hay day: They become annoying to fight and only become more and more common. Doesn't help that I constantly also have to hear "BACKSLASH" from Shulk either IMO. :U

Something unrelated though: I love Jigglypuff's who try to abuse rest just because they always end up failing, Cue a strong attack from Pac-Main.

If there's anything more, I remember playing a match with one guy who kept Bowserciding us as his only means of attack, sure he lost but it was freaking annoying.

Last edited:

MonadoBoii

Smash Rookie
Personally, when im fighting a laggy player (FPS and Input) and they get like a basic kill and they taunt. Like tf

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
I don't know if it's my Internet connection or what, but ever since V 1.11 came out, For Glory has been MUCH laggier than usual. I can deal with minor lag for a few seconds, but having lag drag out a match and mess me up is a different story. Has anyone else experienced this?

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
:4falcon:. That masked idiot. I snapped yesterday, those in for glory are the most cocky, obnoxious, ***hole players I encounter.

I already stoped to respond to opening taunts again :4falcon:, as I know that they WILL attack you during yours. ONLY Falcon does that.

But when you encounter one that taunt, wait, taunt again... You think that the guy is actually nice but NO. It's the same flowchart cocky Falcon that loves memes and attack you during your salutation.
First time he won because I SD myself because of the stage, but I proceedeed to spike him twice on the next match. I rarely insult, I know that I'm wrong, but I HAD to say "take that" followed by an insult. And leave because I don't want to witness how much of a troll he can become.

I swear that in For Glory, the next Falcons I encounter will be attacked during their taunts, simply because they are Falcon. No mercy.

The worst thing about that is that I really love F-Zero (GX, played that one only). So it's sadden me that one online mode can make me hate a character so much.

Purin a.k.a. José

Smash Lord
NNID
purinsmash
3DS FC
1418-7121-0144
Today I've finally had the moment someone copied the same character AND color palette after it beat me.
It was this Dark Toon Link, and I was playing as the Red-White Ness. He was pretty good and respectful, and then I've killed him with a cool F-Smash Roll read. I did the "Okay" taunt in a good mood, and wasn't even thinking about offending the dude. He gone wild, and ended up winning, and he taunted too when he took my both stocks. I didn't care, until he switched to the exact same character with the exact same color. I was thinking "Let's see how do you know Ness then!". Some seconds later, he completely messes up the PKThunder recovery, and it wasn't even close to hitting him. I taunted again, now 3 times. He came back, and did the backthrow on me - and I had 24% damage. Then, I've noticed he would use PSIMagnet every time I would edgeguard him using PKThunder. What I did next? PSIMagnet his PKThunder2 recovery! It was sweet.
:4falcon:. That masked idiot. I snapped yesterday, those in for glory are the most cocky, obnoxious, ***hole players I encounter.

I already stoped to respond to opening taunts again :4falcon:, as I know that they WILL attack you during yours. ONLY Falcon does that.

But when you encounter one that taunt, wait, taunt again... You think that the guy is actually nice but NO. It's the same flowchart cocky Falcon that loves memes and attack you during your salutation.
First time he won because I SD myself because of the stage, but I proceedeed to spike him twice on the next match. I rarely insult, I know that I'm wrong, but I HAD to say "take that" followed by an insult. And leave because I don't want to witness how much of a troll he can become.

I swear that in For Glory, the next Falcons I encounter will be attacked during their taunts, simply because they are Falcon. No mercy.

The worst thing about that is that I really love F-Zero (GX, played that one only). So it's sadden me that one online mode can make me hate a character so much.
I used to play as Falcon, but he became so annoying I can't anymore. As much as I like Alpharad, I don't doubt they're little fanboys of him who took his Falcon x Falcon video seriously. Also,

Last edited:

ArcanaXIII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ArcanaXIII
Quite a few things to be honest....
1. People that lag and I die(Doesn't matter how I die, as long as I die) and they start popping off.
2. People that gotta pick the same character AND color as me in the next match.
3. People that leave after 1 match when there was no lag whatsoever.
4. People that play in the most random and annoying ways(Kirby players that literally sit at the ledge the whole game and hold B, players that purposely run away and play SUPER lame without even throwing projectiles, people that throw out the most random and unsafe moves in lag and it manages to work, and so forth.)
5. Lag ruining my punishes and kill opportunities.
6. People that STILL try to play seriously when there's heavy lag and/or there's input delay.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Link spammers. Using only 'charged arrows', boomerangs and bombs from a far while I'm far from them, and when I get close they apply only Smash attacks with a little bit of grabbing-hookshots when I'm close to them.

Happened to me yesterday night, and it was annoying. Not sure if that's a 'correct' way of playing as Link, but it happens. It dind't help the fact that I was playing as Pac-Man, who in my case didn't seem to be as friendly with projectiles going at him every chance possible.

:glare:

KirbCider

Smash Ace

I'm so sorry you had to deal with that.

This gives me yet another reason to truly despise Falcon players with the deepest rage I can possibly muster. I really don't know what it is about this particular character that makes people act like unholy spawns that should of never been born. When I encounter extremely rude, cocky players on For Glory it doesn't surprise me when they finally pull out Captain Falcon, which is often the case.

I will say this though, you may actually encounter a Captain Falcon that actually has a heart one day. I've encountered two Falcon players my entire time of playing around in For Glory that proved to me that not all of them are disrespectful jerks. I even have a Replay or two uploaded on Youtube of these rare specimens of Falcons. Still, I can understand your rage in full and don't blame you.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
KirbCider KirbCider I actually know two good and fairplay Falcons mains, so I know that there's hope. But they are not For Glory players, so...

It's almost frightening that Falcon can gather so many cocky players.

D

Deleted member

I used to be one of those "lololo captain fabulous" CF players that always chose the pink alt and taunted after every kill, then I dropped doing a few months ago since I made a promise to myself that I'd be respectful towards my opponents and not taunt unless it's a very good KO, greeting at the start of the match or when my opponent and I die in a very ridiculous way. I don't get the mindset of cocky Falcon players. Just because you can do flowchart combos and use the taunt button doesn't mean you can play the character well. Hell it's why I'm nervous to use Falcon nowadays because I feel like I'd rub others the wrong way.

That moment when the opponent you JUST DEFEATED uses the same character as you.
lol, so many people on FG have done this to me when I end up wrecking them with Dedede. They usually just spam Gordo and constantly go for fsmashes or dash attacks, so I can easily punish them to hell and back.

Last edited by a moderator:

Abyssal Lagiacrus

NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399
I used to only play pink Falcon when I played him, but I use the blue color now. Never was one of the cocky pricks though, and when I do go Falcon on For Glory, I usually get GGs and NICE from the other person when they realize I'm actually a good-minded Falcon.

kendikong

Smash Journeyman
Jesus ***king christ I hate campy 1vs1 battles. I'm a charizard chasing this decent Greninja that keeps rolling and rolling and rolling until it goes to sudden death. Stop being such a godam p*ssy people.

Last edited:

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
I used to be one of those "lololo captain fabulous" CF players that always chose the pink alt and taunted after every kill, then I dropped doing a few months ago since I made a promise to myself that I'd be respectful towards my opponents and not taunt unless it's a very good KO, greeting at the start of the match or when my opponent and I die in a very ridiculous way. I don't get the mindset of cocky Falcon players. Just because you can do flowchart combos and use the taunt button doesn't mean you can play the character well. Hell it's why I'm nervous to use Falcon nowadays because I feel like I'd rub others the wrong way.

lol, so many people on FG have done this to me when I end up wrecking them with Dedede. They usually just spam Gordo and constantly go for fsmashes or dash attacks, so I can easily punish them to hell and back.
But once you defeat them, they either get salty or LEAVE IMMEDIATELY. Serves them right... :yeahboi:

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Happens almost every time I play Little Mac.
And then uses the same palette.

Only to lose even more miserably afterward because you get triggered.
Yikes that sucks. Not much of Little Mac in my case since my gamestyle is mostly air-fast in the battlefield than just on the ground. Sad that it happens with Mac too.

That is like the last nail on the coffin to be honest. One thing is use the same character BUT the same palette...? That just asks for you to give them the same treatment that a spammer would in those kind of situations.

:facepalm:

Izayoi

zzz
NNID
iza-tomato
That is like the last nail on the coffin to be honest. One thing is use the same character BUT the same palette...? That just asks for you to give them the same treatment that a spammer would in those kind of situations.

Yeah, it really grinds my gears... I put my 200% when I encounter those kinda people.

...And yes, it's happened more than once. Which is the sad part.

Last edited:

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Dang it.

And that goes to 300% when the only thing they do is SPAM with your character. But hey, at least once you beat them, they go away with their pride enveloped in SALT. :cool:

Rinku リンク

Hero of "Likes"
NNID
JinnyK
That moment when the opponent you JUST DEFEATED uses the same character as you.
This happens to me quite often as a Link main. People think you can just throw projectiles in any random manner, there's a difference between spam and projectile play.

It's amusing to see people get salty because I out-camp them because I actually know how to angle my boomerangs. Better yet, sometimes I don't even bother using projectiles and still end up beating them.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
If only more Link players were in that mindset. EACH AND EVERY LINK I have ever faced is a spammy jerk and the only way to beat them is to be in close or spam back.

Rinku リンク

Hero of "Likes"
NNID
JinnyK
If only more Link players were in that mindset. EACH AND EVERY LINK I have ever faced is a spammy jerk and the only way to beat them is to be in close or spam back.
In my experience there's two types of FG Link players.

The "Spammer" - The typical Link player who only uses projectiles to rack up percent. They tend to run away the entire time and won't approach you until you're within kill percent.

The "Hero" - The typical Link player who likes to use his sword. They might pull out a bomb or throw a rang here and there but majority of the time they'll be trying to just fight you up close.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Yikes. Well pretty much that. Arrows, Boomerangs, Bombs AND Hookshots are the ONLY thing that these guys do. And if they ever use a sword is when I'm in critical condition. Their sword attacks I can deal, but I can't against proyectiles that come one after another...

D

Deleted member

Oh man, I have a story to tell. I came across this utter pansy who was probably one of the most disrespectful people I've come across on FG in recent memory.

So, I go on For Glory for some quick matches. I get matched up with this guy named Zai. On the CSS before we even fight, he changes his tags between "MAC", "DADDY", " GETMYBOY", "MAC". I thought to myself "...Sigh, it's one of these guys ain't it?" Sadly, I was right.

He played Little Mac, and did the typical ****. Roll away and behind me when I try to approach, and just spam down smash and forward smash. He narrowly beat me first match, and switched between the same tags, but this time said "NO COMPLAIN", HAHAHAHA", "YEAHHH", " BABY : )" in addition. I didn't respond, and just trucked on. He did the same stuff and ended up losing again. He alternated through the same tags again, then I decided to do something go crush the souls of any cocky FG player: use Pikachu.

I spaced him out with Thunder Jolt, tripped him any opportunity I could with jab, and even did quick attack locks just to to pour on the salt. I ended up two-stocking him, both with Thunderspikes.

However, he doesn't back down.

At the CSS, he puts the tags "LAG.", "UR BAD", "GETMYBOY", "LUCARIO", " MYMAIN!". I groaned at how persistent this guy was but figured I'd humor him some more.

All he did was Lucario was do the same shtick, roll and constantly go for grabs, and spam the everloving hell out of Aura Sphere. Thankfully I picked R.O.B. and two stocked him again since I reflected the spheres back at him while he was in near full Aura.

He kept flinging insults at me in the CSS, but I just left without saying anything. Why people are just utter pillocks to others like this on FG I'll never understand. It's a friggin' video game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rinku リンク

Hero of "Likes"
NNID
JinnyK
Oh man, I have a story to tell. I came across this utter pansy who was probably one of the most disrespectful people I've come across on FG in recent memory.

So, I go on For Glory for some quick matches. I get matched up with this guy named Zai. On the CSS before we even fight, he changes his tags between "MAC", "DADDY", " GETMYBOY", "MAC". I thought to myself "...Sigh, it's one of these guys ain't it?" Sadly, I was right.

He played Little Mac, and did the typical ****. Roll away and behind me when I try to approach, and just spam down smash and forward smash. He narrowly beat me first match, and switched between the same tags, but this time said "NO COMPLAIN", HAHAHAHA*, "YEAHHH", " BABY : )" in addition. I didn't respond, and just trucked on. He did the same stuff and ended up losing again. He alternated through the same tags again, then I decided to do something go crush the souls of any cocky FG player: use Pikachu.

I spaced him out with Thunder Jolt, tripped him any opportunity I could with jab, and even did quick attack locks just to to pour on the salt. I ended up two-stocking him, both with Thunderspikes.

However, he doesn't back down.

At the CSS, he puts the tags "LAG.", "UR BAD", "GETMYBOY", "LUCARIO", " MYMAIN!". I groaned at how persistent this guy was but figured I'd humor him some more.

All he did was Lucario was do the same shtick, roll and constantly go for grabs, and spam the everloving hell out of Aura Sphere. Thankfully I picked R.O.B. and two stocked him again since I reflected the spheres back at him while he was in near full Aura.

He kept flinging insults at me in the CSS, but I just left without saying anything. Why people are just utter pillocks to others like this on FG I'll never understand. It's a friggin' video game.
It's the thrill of trolling honestly. Some people LIVE on receiving reactions from people by doing these sort of things.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
That moment when you play a guy on FG who lags and blames you for it. Lol
That happen to me yesterday. I fought against some guy, and he was actively going after me in a match EVEN with the lag going on, and once I beat him, the guy got mad went all like- 'Dam Lag' and left right away. :dazwa:

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
Goodness gracious, I don't think I can bear through Team For Glory anymore.
The way people just play on there is absolutely ridiculous! It's absurd! Preposterous! Maddening!
The so-called "teams" on there just huddle up together like penguins in a snowstorm. They refuse to leave their partner, so they gang up on their opponents instead. You can't separate them for long either; they'll just pass by through you to reach their ally. And whenever someone is on high percent, all the team does is continuously and desperately follow and Smash Attack them until they get a KO.
Maybe it's just the people I'm facing, I don't know. But a Friendly Fire option needs to be a thing so nobody can get Ice Climber'd again.

Abyssal Lagiacrus

NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399
I can't stand Team For Glory. The few times me and my bud have tried it, it's been a ****fest. The biggest no-no is that it's timed instead of stocks, and timed battles are horrible for competitive play. Also the fact that friendly fire is off, most teams you encounter will just charge randy smash attacks through their partners so you can't do anything about it.

ItsRy

Smash Cadet
NNID
Elibe-Guardian
3DS FC
3239-2802-5492
I can't stand Team For Glory. The few times me and my bud have tried it, it's been a ****fest. The biggest no-no is that it's timed instead of stocks, and timed battles are horrible for competitive play. Also the fact that friendly fire is off, most teams you encounter will just charge randy smash attacks through their partners so you can't do anything about it.
Now try fighting two smash-spam happy Little Macs under those conditions, with a pinch of lag to spice things up.

KirbCider

Smash Ace
Goodness gracious, I don't think I can bear through Team For Glory anymore.
The way people just play on there is absolutely ridiculous! It's absurd! Preposterous! Maddening!
The so-called "teams" on there just huddle up together like penguins in a snowstorm. They refuse to leave their partner, so they gang up on their opponents instead. You can't separate them for long either; they'll just pass by through you to reach their ally. And whenever someone is on high percent, all the team does is continuously and desperately follow and Smash Attack them until they get a KO.
Maybe it's just the people I'm facing, I don't know. But a Friendly Fire option needs to be a thing so nobody can get Ice Climber'd again.
Oh no, believe me it is a thing in For Glory Teams. It's not a problem you face constantly, but people do huddle together like that often.

A friend of mine and I do a lot of 2V2s, whether it's in For Glory or in For Fun. It's mostly For Glory most of the time though. The thing is, we typically play as King Dedede and Ganondorf. We use our other mains too occasionally but this is usually our go-to duo. Huddling together like that while against two heavy hitter characters? Yeaaahhh, not the brightest idea some players have on For Glory sometimes...

It doesn't help that I tend to cover the air a lot while my friend covers the ground. Our different play styles combined can be a serious pain, not to mention makes it all the more easier to punish people to hell and back when they group up like that. We recently went against a King Dedede and Peach a few hours ago actually where the Peach constantly hid in their Dedede partner no matter what.

They wouldn't separate unless we forcibly separated them. Needless to say, while it was a pain to deal with it didn't do them any favors.

As a side note, one thing that grinds my gears the most in 2V2 For Glory? When they only focus on one person and one person only.

I feel somewhat insulted and left out when they go after my friend a lot of the time, even when I'm the one that ends up brutally KOing them in the end because they're just so focused on him constantly. I could be kicking their tails the entire time for it and even have 130% or so and they won't care. What the heck is wrong with you people? Do I have bad breath? Do I smell bad or something...?

I want some attention too. I'm so lonely... So, so lonely...

Sometimes I will be put into the spotlight though, although not as often. Funnily enough my friend often responds with "I know how you feel now...". Seriously people, there's more than one person in a team battle. Don't just focus on one you greedy fools!

Last edited:

Rinku リンク

Hero of "Likes"
NNID
JinnyK
All I want for Christmas issssss~
Stock and Team Attack On please Sakurai...

Top Bottom