• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What grinds your gears in For Glory mode? (THE ROLLENING)

jakplays

Smash Rookie
NNID
JakPlaysSmash
3DS FC
5129-0529-3866
I really hate when people ledge guard and spam moves. It makes me really angry.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Only thing that really bugs me online are the 3rd worlders and their absolutely horrible connections that pop up every now and then. I guess also the players abusing ledge camp strategies. They work Because there are no platforms sure but this is the awful online mode and there is literally nothing on the line so why do something so unfun and not hype?

1FC0

Smash Lord
Nope. This is one of the reasons I kinda like the 3DS version more than Wii U.
That is too bad really because I would love to taunt those noobs for getting owned. Now all I can do is a few taunts and repeating my uptilt which in R.O.B'.s case can pass as a taunt IMO.

1FC0

Smash Lord
When a player loses and switches to :4diddy: or :4littlemac: and spams Fsmash or Dthrow into Up air
This is another way of saying that you hate losing to Mac and Diddy mains who are better than you are and use a lot of Dthrow->Uair or Fsmash respectively.

I sometimes use characters that I am crap with and when I get beaten I then sometimes switch to R.O.B. and own them like the noobs that they are and if they are noob enough to have a great weakness to a certain move or combo like Dthrow->Uair then I, being the nice guy that I am, help them to overcome their weakness by giving them enough opportunity to practice. In other words I spam the move or combo that they do not have enough skill to counter giving them opportunity to get those skills. Few noobs accept that opportunity off course and most leave after this because if they did accept opportunities like these when they arise then they would probably not be such huge scrubs anymore.

Dr.Megaman

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dr.MM20XX
3DS FC
1392-5817-5075
This is another way of saying that you hate losing to Mac and Diddy mains who are better than you are and use a lot of Dthrow->Uair or Fsmash respectively.

I sometimes use characters that I am crap with and when I get beaten I then sometimes switch to R.O.B. and own them like the noobs that they are and if they are noob enough to have a great weakness to a certain move or combo like Dthrow->Uair then I, being the nice guy that I am, help them to overcome their weakness by giving them enough opportunity to practice. In other words I spam the move or combo that they do not have enough skill to counter giving them opportunity to get those skills. Few noobs accept that opportunity off course and most leave after this because if they did accept opportunities like these when they arise then they would probably not be such huge scrubs anymore.
No, its not the characters, its the spammers I can't stand

Aphistemi

Smash Ace
NNID
MasterOfTheToots
When people on for glory beat you once with 1 Stock and 120+ damage changing their name to "scrub" "usuck" or "ursht" and leave immediately after.

When people lag extremely bad and talk trash after the match, Like, okay you are a wifi hero congrats.

And finally those kids who do poor or mediocre kills and spam taunts or jump around kicking as if this game is melee, then when you respawn, they are back to doing the same moves, (not using those short hop uairs when I died), I honestly dont care for their showoff moves just fight.

1FC0

Smash Lord
And finally those kids who do poor or mediocre kills and spam taunts or jump around kicking as if this game is melee, then when you respawn, they are back to doing the same moves, (not using those short hop uairs when I died), I honestly dont care for their showoff moves just fight.
Oh you care because it grinds your gears!

Storm Erion

Smash Cadet
Personally, I hate it when people complain about zoning characters.

I'm not trying to start anything, it's just getting annoying to see so many people saying it. I mean, I can understand why, but if someone can't get around my projectiles, why should I HAVE to go in to fight you besides just to get the kill? I don't want to do something that isn't necessary. If they can get around what I'm doing, THEN I stop focusing on trying to throw them out all the time and combo off of them.

1FC0

Smash Lord
Personally, I hate it when people complain about zoning characters.

I'm not trying to start anything, it's just getting annoying to see so many people saying it. I mean, I can understand why, but if someone can't get around my projectiles, why should I HAVE to go in to fight you besides just to get the kill? I don't want to do something that isn't necessary. If they can get around what I'm doing, THEN I stop focusing on trying to throw them out all the time and combo off of them.
If they have trouble with your projectile spam then you need to be a nice guy and help them overcome their weakness by giving them more opportunities to practice by spamming more projectiles. That is what I do.
Nah, I mean like if they are doing it to intimidate me, or show off their speed, the only thing it does is annoys me.
I like showing off glitches and weird ATs when I am winning but I often do it as a taunt. Too bad patch 1.0.5 bring a huge nerf to R.O.B.'s taunt game.

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
People who play characters they're obviously not genuinely good at just because they have easy strats to learn. The amount of times I've played Links and Nesses who just can't put up a good recovery game (Even Villagers. VILLAGERS WHO CAN'T RECOVER.), but have won because of spam or overwhelm tactics is rediculous.

Some of my alts are pretty susceptible to this kinda thing from time to time, (Ganondorf and Marth, just to name two.) so it usually just resorts to me playing a main or counter that can teach them a lesson.

-also, to a lesser extent, people who, regardless of win or loss, cycle through literally every top-tier character on the roster. MU diversity is already a huge issue online, so when your line-up consists of a half-arsed Diddy, Shiek, and Rosa/Luma, I physically reel back in disgust. Especially insulting if these players have a main they do much better as.

Drig786

Smash Journeyman
NNID
i-DRIG-i
Leaving a game when you made one fatal error causing you to SD while they taunt and knowing full well you could get back at them

ansossy

Smash Apprentice
I have played For Glory a LOT. And I've encountered so many aggrevating stuff. I generally do not care about win to lose ratio because way too many people spam the cheesiest **** during the most horrendously laggy conditions.
But from my experiences here is what I've encountered.

I've encountered three of these types of people that just play as fox or falco and spam their laser then run to the other side and repeat. They just coward out and when you're at 120% then they'll just smash attack you. It's only really a problem when you're slow and don't have a reflector for this type of bull****.

Also hate these people that play as characters only because they're women (yes these people are VERY common in 1 v 1) and just do nothing but get all defensive and run away from you and act like complete *******. I've encountered a whole ton of these children and I'll give you some examples. And playing Little Mac against these people is a pain in the ass because the first moment they see you they're going to throw you off the ****ing stage.
Zero Suit Samus: These people that play as her tend to usually spam grab you and throw you off the stage and use their stun gun and nothing else. They also mostly pick the half naked skin and I'm not kidding. These little kids do exist. They also taunt excessively. And it seems like most of the spammy people I encounter use these types of characters.
Palutena: Spams her Autoreticle and tends to teleport away or throw you off the stage if you get close. They tend to use side taunt a lot.
Female Robin: These people are the most annoying. They run away and throw you off the stage charge their neutral b, once you get they throw you off and charges their neutral b. These people only know how to use the throw button and neutral b button. Once their magic is gone they ****ing have to stall the match. Speaking of stalling.
Rosalina: These are the biggest *******. These assholes only use their luma to fight and once luma is dead they excessively stall the **** out of the match and run away. Encountered way too much of these people to count and this does not include the people that keep distance and at least try to fight. It's only those that do not fight at all when their luma is dead. And here's a even bigger ****ing staller I've seen a bit of.
Jigglypuff: Not sure if boy or girl, but a lot of these assholes go under the stage or run away excessively not doing anything. Not sure why, but when it's sudden death I'm ****ing dead because of the bomb omb and when you SD they up taunt you and they try to sneak a down grab every now and then just to piss you off. These are the biggest assholes.

I also hate people who taunt when you SD. It just shows how much of an ass you are. I don't have a problem with those who taunt if they kill you, just the ones when you SD and they taunt. I also hate people who taunt after they just knocked you off the stage and just wait for you to get back on just so they can kill you.

Next on my biggest list of assholes is these excessive-grabbers who just grab you throw you off a ledge then dodge every one of your attacks then grab again sometimes they might have follow up attacks such as diddy kong's infamous down throw up air. And sometimes it's really annoying if this is some long ranged grab character like Samus or Zero Suit Samus. These people rely ABSOLUTELY on their grabs and these people just ****ing suck because I can not get past any of these people nor and I can I train on trying to beat them because they leave after they beat me. Speaking of that.

Assholes who leaves after they beat you. It's only a problem if this person is a spammer or a person who plays just for the kills and won't let you learn their strategy so they leave leaving you helpless to learn how to counteract it.

I also hate sonic players who use spindash to up aerial you then repeat. These people have no skill and die very fast and are just not fun to play with because they tend to run away from you and are hard as **** to hit.

Spammers are annoying as these people don't give you a real match and are easily killable, but I don't have much of a problem if they suck at dodging.

Now as for 2 v 2s...
The worst section of online play is local 2 people vs 2 other people. When you do for glory team battle two players vs two assholes who love sucking ****. This is by far the most disgraceful piece of **** place in online there is. First off most of these people pick characters based off of themes or colors. For example bowser and bowser jr.,red robin and red megaman, etc.. Next these people NEVER switch characters, but when they do they usually pick the characters you are just to be assholes and they taunt excessively and try to show it off in your face. Also encountered a bunch of pac man pricks who abuse the infamous up b glitch to stall the match. Not sure if they patched that yet, but I've encountered it 4 times before..... They also love picking on one person and they'll tend to spam very very very VERY frequently.

As for online 2 v 2s that are one players I see wayyy too many Ness's, Zelda's, Robin's who spam. For Ness it's pk thunder and pk fire spamming and for Zelda it's side b and down b spamming and for robin it's thoron and arcfire spamming. I've also seen some asswipes who try to rig the game in favor of the other team by letting the enemy hit them once then dying and repeat.

I've also had the unfortunate result of meeting bowser's or ganondorf's who side b you when you have 1 stock to suicide kill you. Honestly, just fight the rest of the match, don't use cheap **** as that is complete bull**** I can prevent the bowser one from happening, but not the ganondorf one and I can't counteract so easily. Next the kirbyciders are the worst ones. I once was in a ****ing normal free for all match and every asshole was a kirby and all they were doing was using suck or backgrabbin' off the stage. This sucks if you're little mac because if you're sucked near the edge then you're dead...

I've played LOTS of for glory and as far as I know there are endless amounts of douchebags who will do whatever to troll or win the game no matter how scumbaggy it is. And I've seen a lot of trends. I've also asked my friends if they've encountered the same and it appears I'm not the only one. I tend to try and report people that appear to be in major violation like the Pac man one or the guy who is betraying his team, but it doesn't seem like anything is done about those people. This took a long time to compile, but I've posted this so that people can be aware of these tricks and know what they'll encounter when they're doing this mode.

Riposte__

Smash Apprentice
People who think smash4 isn't the most casual game since bejeweled.

-Edit: BEcause top 8 of smash 4 looks alot like FG with every complaint listed from all 4 pages.

Last edited:

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
All right I went back to every single post and liked all the ones that complained about lag.
I fought against a Ganon right now and frankly I couldn't win because his lag made both Down b and Side B unreactable and untechable. It sucks especially because I'm a villager so under a good connection I beat these guys so easily but noooooooooooo...
Uhg i need to play more Anther's Ladder.

Aphistemi

Smash Ace
NNID
MasterOfTheToots
All right I went back to every single post and liked all the ones that complained about lag.
I fought against a Ganon right now and frankly I couldn't win because his lag made both Down b and Side B unreactable and untechable. It sucks especially because I'm a villager so under a good connection I beat these guys so easily but noooooooooooo...
Uhg i need to play more Anther's Ladder.
Ganon in lag is funny, half his move list become safe, even on block lol

Dr.Megaman

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dr.MM20XX
3DS FC
1392-5817-5075
I have played For Glory a LOT. And I've encountered so many aggrevating stuff. I generally do not care about win to lose ratio because way too many people spam the cheesiest **** during the most horrendously laggy conditions.
But from my experiences here is what I've encountered.

I've encountered three of these types of people that just play as fox or falco and spam their laser then run to the other side and repeat. They just coward out and when you're at 120% then they'll just smash attack you. It's only really a problem when you're slow and don't have a reflector for this type of bull****.

Also hate these people that play as characters only because they're women (yes these people are VERY common in 1 v 1) and just do nothing but get all defensive and run away from you and act like complete ****ies. I've encountered a whole ton of these children and I'll give you some examples. And playing Little Mac against these people is a pain in the *** because the first moment they see you they're going to throw you off the ****ing stage.
Zero Suit Samus: These people that play as her tend to usually spam grab you and throw you off the stage and use their stun gun and nothing else. They also mostly pick the half naked skin and I'm not kidding. These little kids do exist. They also taunt excessively. And it seems like most of the spammy people I encounter use these types of characters.
Palutena: Spams her Autoreticle and tends to teleport away or throw you off the stage if you get close. They tend to use side taunt a lot.
Female Robin: These people are the most annoying. They run away and throw you off the stage charge their neutral b, once you get they throw you off and charges their neutral b. These people only know how to use the throw button and neutral b button. Once their magic is gone they ****ing have to stall the match. Speaking of stalling.
Rosalina: These are the biggest ****ies. These *******s only use their luma to fight and once luma is dead they excessively stall the **** out of the match and run away. Encountered way too much of these people to count and this does not include the people that keep distance and at least try to fight. It's only those that do not fight at all when their luma is dead. And here's a even bigger ****ing staller I've seen a bit of.
Jigglypuff: Not sure if boy or girl, but a lot of these *******s go under the stage or run away excessively not doing anything. Not sure why, but when it's sudden death I'm ****ing dead because of the bomb omb and when you SD they up taunt you and they try to sneak a down grab every now and then just to piss you off. These are the biggest *******s.

I also hate people who taunt when you SD. It just shows how much of an *** you are. I don't have a problem with those who taunt if they kill you, just the ones when you SD and they taunt. I also hate people who taunt after they just knocked you off the stage and just wait for you to get back on just so they can kill you.

Next on my biggest list of *******s is these excessive-grabbers who just grab you throw you off a ledge then dodge every one of your attacks then grab again sometimes they might have follow up attacks such as diddy kong's infamous down throw up air. And sometimes it's really annoying if this is some long ranged grab character like Samus or Zero Suit Samus. These people rely ABSOLUTELY on their grabs and these people just ****ing suck because I can not get past any of these people nor and I can I train on trying to beat them because they leave after they beat me. Speaking of that.

*******s who leaves after they beat you. It's only a problem if this person is a spammer or a person who plays just for the kills and won't let you learn their strategy so they leave leaving you helpless to learn how to counteract it.

I also hate sonic players who use spindash to up aerial you then repeat. These people have no skill and die very fast and are just not fun to play with because they tend to run away from you and are hard as **** to hit.

Spammers are annoying as these people don't give you a real match and are easily killable, but I don't have much of a problem if they suck at dodging.

Now as for 2 v 2s...
The worst section of online play is local 2 people vs 2 other people. When you do for glory team battle two players vs two *******s who love sucking ****. This is by far the most disgraceful piece of **** place in online there is. First off most of these people pick characters based off of themes or colors. For example bowser and bowser jr.,red robin and red megaman, etc.. Next these people NEVER switch characters, but when they do they usually pick the characters you are just to be *******s and they taunt excessively and try to show it off in your face. Also encountered a bunch of pac man pricks who abuse the infamous up b glitch to stall the match. Not sure if they patched that yet, but I've encountered it 4 times before..... They also love picking on one person and they'll tend to spam very very very VERY frequently.

As for online 2 v 2s that are one players I see wayyy too many Ness's, Zelda's, Robin's who spam. For Ness it's pk thunder and pk fire spamming and for Zelda it's side b and down b spamming and for robin it's thoron and arcfire spamming. I've also seen some *******s who try to rig the game in favor of the other team by letting the enemy hit them once then dying and repeat.

I've also had the unfortunate result of meeting bowser's or ganondorf's who side b you when you have 1 stock to suicide kill you. Honestly, just fight the rest of the match, don't use cheap **** as that is complete bull**** I can prevent the bowser one from happening, but not the ganondorf one and I can't counteract so easily. Next the kirbyciders are the worst ones. I once was in a ****ing normal free for all match and every ******* was a kirby and all they were doing was using suck or backgrabbin' off the stage. This sucks if you're little mac because if you're sucked near the edge then you're dead...

I've played LOTS of for glory and as far as I know there are endless amounts of douchebags who will do whatever to troll or win the game no matter how scumbaggy it is. And I've seen a lot of trends. I've also asked my friends if they've encountered the same and it appears I'm not the only one. I tend to try and report people that appear to be in major violation like the Pac man one or the guy who is betraying his team, but it doesn't seem like anything is done about those people. This took a long time to compile, but I've posted this so that people can be aware of these tricks and know what they'll encounter when they're doing this mode.

Flawed

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheFlawedOne
I hate fighting the same people over and over.

Theres this pikachu main that id have to look on my Wii U for the name, that Ive been matched with like 7 times.

Each time I'm like "maybe his connection will be better"

I end up waiting 3 minutes for myself to suicide while he/she taunts

Pink'd

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5112-3624-7812
The ******* ******* on 3DS For Glory 1v1 that leave after you BARELY lose to them. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

KurashiDragon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KurashiDragon
3DS FC
3952-7603-8923
Switch FC
7836 7746 6189
...... 2 things.

1. Japanese players: XENOPHOBIA, I SWEAR! Every single time a Japanese player joins, they just leave. At one point, I legitimately got 4 Japanese players in a row and all of them left without battling. Why won't you let me love you japan? :c

2. One round players: Ok, I lost. maybe I was playing a secondary or maybe I was a just derping or w/e but this player seems pretty good and I want another shot at them. *They leave.* ............................................................................................................... why you gotta do me like that?

Last edited:

TotallyNotMikey

Smash Cadet
Warrington, Cheshire, North West of England.
...... 2 things.

1. Japanese players: XENOPHOBIA, I SWEAR! Every single time a Japanese player joins, they just leave. At one point, I legitimately got 4 Japanese players in a row and all of them left without battling. Why won't you let me love you japan? :c
Happens all the time, think they wanna avoid laggy matches. Can't blame em.

2. One round players: Ok, I lost. maybe I was playing a secondary or maybe I was a just derping or w/e but this player seems pretty good and I want another shot at them. *They leave.* ............................................................................................................... why you gotta do me like that?
Clearly they are tournament level players and mustnt waste time on the scrubs. /sarc

Nah I have no idea why they do this, guess they think themselves as good players. If they were legit good, they'd stay best 2/3. That's what I do unless it's laggy.

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
People who instantly start getting cocky after winning a mirror match.

-also, semi-related, people who switch to Ganon after you win as him and spam suicide choke. Especially frequent after you get one in yourself (It's not a tactic I use on purpose ever, so this gets especially annoying.).

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
People who know all the strats as a character, but blatantly have no real experience as them. Hoo-hah spam Diddys and PK fire-to-throw spam Nesses are all the rage in FG and... They lose...

They just... Lose. It's not fun.

TehGuitarLord

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Slice_O_Pie
3DS FC
1203-9544-5962
LAG. Both input lag and game lag.

Here me out. My WiiU is hardwired, and has been since I first got it 2 years ago. I haven't lagged in ANY game on WiiU because of that, so why am I lagging in Smash? Because people have the nerve to go online, knowing their internet is dooty, play Link and spam boomerang arrow, someone that can counter spam, that greedy yellow basturd who goes back and forth on his bike taunting on it while you can't do anything about it, or little mac (who can't recover cuz he ate too many big macs and has no energy in his hammies anymoree). It's annying because I should have no lag, and I know it's the other person, and it can't be me. I've been in matches where I could cook a pizza pie, wait for it to finish, and i will have only lost 40%. Also, when you push a and the move takes a century to come out (the amount of time that it'll take for me to get unbanned for quitting against this feeg).

People, if ur internet is bad, don't troll other people by trying to play for glory. It sux for both of us, and you know that I can 360 noscope you with 420 stomp knees, so there's no real point to try huh.

ansossy

Smash Apprentice
I forgot to mention people who play as Bowser in team mode who side grab you and if they do it enough it'll count as you (yes the one who got grabbed) as a self destruct while bowser will get away with a -1 rather than the -2 the other person is getting giving the team an unfair advantage. These people really need to stop playing online.... And the people who stall team matches leaving it a 2 v 1 because the other teamate is chickening out and running away while I'm getting gangbanged and what's worse if you're the person attacking that innocent player you will be disconnected and given' a temporary couple minute ban for targeting one player, that is probably the most assholish thing you can do in a team match.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Happens all the time, think they wanna avoid laggy matches. Can't blame em.

Clearly they are tournament level players and mustnt waste time on the scrubs. /sarc

Nah I have no idea why they do this, guess they think themselves as good players. If they were legit good, they'd stay best 2/3. That's what I do unless it's laggy.
I'm going to admit I am guilty of leaving after one battle, quite frankly those people are clearly bad players that threaten to make me lose with their badness. I just want to find the crazy players.

MacSmitty

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Seeker624
Switch FC
SW 1823 5909 5682
1) Whenever I'm playing a laggy match with a ROB, and whenever the player uses the gyro, I land on the ground, the ROB catches it, I roll towards them and get hit by it again, repeat a couple of times.

2) Villagers and their damn stalling with their UP B. C'mon! Fight Me!

3) Dark Pit's spamming Electroshock Arm.

4) People who keep on spamming their grabs with characters like Mario, Captain Falcon, and Ness.

5) Rosalina's and their ****ing stalling

6)ZSS and their ****ing Paralyzer combo.

Edit: Wario's and their ****ing BIKES!

Last edited:

Ifrit_Smash

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Skyloftknight123
3DS FC
1375-7213-2200
definitely when robin charges thunder while running from edge to edge. or when they play yoshi/jiggly puff and just spam the roll moves. and specifically when they play charizard and spam side B (or the warlock punch spammers)

Goolloom

Smash Apprentice
Some things that grinds my gears is that there is about 35% of players who picks spammy characters, like :4robinf:,:4zss:,:4samus:,:4link:,:4lucario:, :4ness:, sometimes :4fox:that spams smashes and lasers, and scrubs :4littlemac:. They usually think they are so good they double or triple taunt after every kill, and leave after the first match either because you beat them or they go ''Win and Run'' style. You know, those scrubs who only cares about their win ratio.
Another thing is the occationnal match that runs at 4 FPS, or has a whopping 1,5 seconds of input lag, or both. Worse if they taunt when you SD due to their sh*t connection, and there is no way to tell them they lag on 3DS version. At least they can't insult you throught name tags.
And last thing that gets me is those players that are getting salty and switch to :rosalina: (provided they didn't leave first game) still thinking she's the most OP character in Smash 4.

MacSmitty

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Seeker624
Switch FC
SW 1823 5909 5682
Alright. After a couple of matches yesterday, all I can say is **** Captain Falcon and Luigi.
Those two ****ers keep on giving me hell with their ****ing dash grab combos.
Captain Falcon's keep on using their annoying *** dash grab to D-Throw and then U-Air and it get very annoying.
Luigi's also keep using that ****ing D-Throw to F-Air combo while also using that annoying Luigi Cyclone.
To all the users who main those I mentioned, I DECLAR WAR!
...Man it felt good releasing my rage in this comment.

Last edited:

Dr.Megaman

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dr.MM20XX
3DS FC
1392-5817-5075
Alright. After a couple of matches yesterday, all I can say is **** Captain Falcon and Luigi.
Those two ****ers keep on giving me hell with their ****ing dash grab combos.
Captain Falcon's keep on using their annoying *** dash grab to D-Throw and then U-Air and it get very annoying.
Luigi's also keep using that ****ing D-Throw to F-Air combo while also using that annoying Luigi Cyclone.
To all the users who main those I mentioned, I DECLAR WAR!
...Man it felt good releasing my rage in this comment.

Top Bottom