• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

what does it take to be a good smasher?

Samus1031

Smash Apprentice
ive always wanted to know what does it takes to be pro so if anybody know tell me what i need to do to be pro thanks

2-Tone

Smash Journeyman
that really can't be answered so simply. First you have to answer some questions. Like, who is the character you want to use, do you know how to wavedash with said character, can you space, can you dash dance, do you know what moves to use at what time? Shield-Grabbing? Short Hopping? SHFFLING?
Mindgames?

And how about the most important question. Do you have the time, dedication, skill, natural talent, patience, and will to practice hard enough to be pro?

Before you walk you must crawl, no? If I were you I would set my sights more towards being a competetive smasher rather than pro. Besides, I've seen many average, run of the mill smashers go toe-to-toe with pros and hold their own.

BTW, if you don't know what a lot of those questions meant then you have sort of a long way to go.
Actually, you should be focused more on being competetive in Brawl. Melee's metagame is dying down with the release of the new game and many of the pro smashers are retiring.

But, I guess that's all I'll say. Anything to help a new smasher learn the ropes. Good luck.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
To be recognized as a pro, all you have to do is make top 32 brackets in a major tournament like OC, FC, or *pound*. Of course, to do that, you pretty much have to be better than 224 other players in the country...

no. 1 smash daddy

Smash Ace
1st. you gotta love the game and be dedicated
2nd. learn how to use the advanced tactics
3rd. play a lot human players, and best, better players than you.
4th. mind games, and more mind games, the more mind games you learn, the better you´ll become.

the game is about thinking and planning, other fighting games where the kind of game where the combos counted the most, but in this game, you got to think, find an entry for a combo or followup, etc., this is where mind games come out, and actually shows the difference between players, it´s not only about knowing the tactics, as I said, mind games play a huge role in the game that in any other fighting game.

well, that´s all, Im speechless now, hope that helped.

ZeldaDestiny

Smash Rookie
ive always wanted to know what does it takes to be pro so if anybody know tell me what i need to do to be pro thanks
First off everyone has a main, BUT ALSO, LOW TIER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Playing with fox or Marth all the time, and spamming he up kick and the Dragon slash= bad. yes youjwill dominate against most casual players if you get good a tit, but still its no good.

However take a character like Zelda or Kirby, and start using them. Zelda's lightning kick, alhtough almost as good as the tipper and the upkick, is a lot slower and easier to dodge, and they know it s coming since its practically her only instant kill move, and accounts for 4 of her moves(fa air ba air and fsmash and bsmash air)

this teachs you how to read people in order to shove a foot up their butts at appropriate times, instead of getting dodged or deflected. this makes you both better at reading players AND mind games.

This is STILL true in brawl as well. Zelda's move list has not changed although her tier may go up because of other characters getting nerfed while she basically remained unchanged.

Having played the Japanese version the only 2 characters that give Zelda a real fight in the hands of the untrained (AKA American players that only have about 5 hours in max on a friend's modded Wii) are pit and Marth. This means that's theres more opportunity to learn with her without instantly getting KO"d all the time. Although better players will have a easier time handing you, but you aren't getting out tiered quite as bad as in Melee(IE a Proper Marth, Roy, Fox, Falco or Samus even in the hands of a player that just barely knows what he is doing, will KILL your Zelda off real quick, and even if you know what you are doing)

2-Tone

Smash Journeyman
Ahhh!!! You must recover!! Lol.
Don't forget when they're off the edge....INTERCEPT!

But yeah, I got really lucky and started hanging out with a group of dudes that pretty much taught me everything I know today. Seriously, if you hear about a tourney in your area, just go! You learn so much just by getting destroyed all the time. Eventually, your experiences will catch up with you and manifest in your gameplay.

For the longest time I was getting 4 stocked, then later down the road it became 3, then 2....
Now I'm making it a lot harder on my friends when we play, 'cause I'm no longer a push-over, and most of our matches are really close.

Pi

Smash Hero
I think don't get hit is better than 'you must recover', because in order to recover it would mean you had gotten put into a position in which your main goal is to get back in control of the match, or onto the stage. If you don't get hit then well...you have nothing to fear. Sept marth and his **** ****ing sword.

To be pro you just have to think, don't forget the things that work, but also don't rely on them. Sidestepping is good but if you it too much it becomes predictable, know what your character is good at, what moves come out fastest and what moves have the best priority. Grab game is key at higher levels of play, it leads into combo's and really determines the match if used correctly.

You need 'NEED' high level competition as others have said, you need it to know what you'll be going up against in the well...higher levels. How they play what they do, how to avoid what they do, that stuff. Computers and noobs don't offer this to you.

Joe_Sumo

Smash Apprentice
You need a lot of time, patiance, and tournaments. at least one person around your skill level you can play several times a week is good to. computers will make you stupid

Top Bottom