• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What does each PM character boil down to?

D

Deleted member

Hi, everyone! New to this website and competitive PM, so I thought I'd start by asking a question that's been bugging me for months.

How would you sum up each Project M character's playstyle? The assorted Smash wikis around the web haven't been too helpful in providing a condensed explanation of how best to play them, and it would go a long way in helping me figure out the roster.

For example, you could say "Ivysaur's playstyle revolves around keeping the foe at a distance or in the air before finishing them off" or "Lucario's playstyle involves quickly transitioning between attacks to rack up damage and aura".

If you can help, thanks! I think I have a lot I can learn from this site.

Narpas_sword

Samus would boil down to some weird metal and a kinda fleshy soup with bits of blue lycra like material.

Projectile Zoner. Relies more on knowledge of the opponents movements than spamming techskill. Heavy, Floaty. Weird. Awesome.

pershona

Smash Journeyman
:marth: is all about spacing, and lot's of dashdancing into grabs.
:roypm: is more about lot's of poking with Dtilt into combos and pressure.
:fox: is about Nair and Shine pressure, dashdance into grabs with Uthrow to Uair, and gimping with shine+ being able to also camp with lasers.

ChiePet

*~About That BASS.~*
NNID
ChiePet
:peach:
Peach is the asinine combination of aggressive play being purely defensive; She is THE Neutral game character. period. relies on player skill but has the optimal answer for the aggresive characters and the hard to get in on types as well, as well as her own BS Melee esque tricks. she's also an extremely adapt character at aerial control; her biggest flaws are being a floaty (killed off the top easier than sideways) and she has a difficult time getting back to the ground (C.Falcons UAir is the worst.) Pretty much All even MUs across the board with a few she has positives on and a few that really rely on knowing your MU, but all in all, she's the Neutral.

Last edited:

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I would like to think that the character design in Project M is complex and unique enough that it isn't possible to capture their essence in a short description, or say that they "boil down to" something. There are an absurdly high number of intricacies to every character and they often approach different matchups extremely differently.

EpixAura

Smash Journeyman
If people don't take things too seriously this can probably end up being one of the funniest threads I've seen in a while.

Ivysaur = Throw out vines a lot.

Squirtle = Move around a lot, accomplishing nothing because you're Squirtle.

Falco = Laser until they get close. Mash buttons.

Fox = Dash around a lot. Mash buttons.

Falcon = Dash around a lot. Grab, miss the techchase, go back to dashing, grab again, get the techchase this time, knock them offstage, die trying to style on them with an edgeguard.

Olimar = Don't use Olimar.

Ganondorf = Get combo'd across the stage and back, hit them 3 times to even it up, then remember you have a float and lose because you keep trying to incorporate it.

D

Deleted member

This thread has derailed in all the right ways.

Last edited by a moderator:

MegaMissingno

Smash Ace
NNID
missingno
:kirby2: = Kirbycide, every match ends up being a tie.
:lucario: = Fish for a hit and then just mash buttons and hope you get good damage. Aura Bomb whenever you have it, only for it get powershielded back in your face.
:mario2: = Autopilot: The Character: The Movie. Close your eyes and win without trying.
:squirtle: = Get carpal tunnel syndrome.
:sonic: = Spin to win.
:lucas: = Dat upsmash.

D

Deleted member

Okay, I think I can do this.

:bowser2:= Ignore everything for now but use super armor attacks when you get up to 400% and attacks start tickling you.

:charizard:= Up throw for poops and giggles.

:ganondorf:= Get whooped until you line up the perfect shot for a Warlock Punch but then get further whooped because you forgot Ganon no longer has a Warlock Punch.

TreK

Is "that guy"
:dk2: : Marth (with 2 swords)
:ivysaur: : Marth (with lazers)
:roypm: : Marth (with PH1R3)

DahremRuhar

Smash Ace
Looks like a lot of the people in this thread have never played a competent Ganon main, or
If people don't take things too seriously this can probably end up being one of the funniest threads I've seen in a while.

Ganondorf = Get combo'd across the stage and back, hit them 3 times to even it up, then remember you have a float and lose because you keep trying to incorporate it.
You main Fox.

Okay, I think I can do this.

:ganondorf:= Get whooped until you line up the perfect shot for a Warlock Punch but then get further whooped because you forgot Ganon no longer has a Warlock Punch.
You main Ivysaur.

No competent Ganon main wouldn't bust out a secondary for those matchups, unless they think you are scrub tier.

With that said, Ganon's playstyle boils down to stomping, dunking and choking out people who are garbage at P:M and looking very handsome while doing so.

D

Deleted member

...the joke being that no Ganon main would consider using Warlock Punch in the first place?

Ganon's a ridiculously powerful character, and there's a video somewhere on YT of Ganon zero-to-KOing a pro Ice Climbers player, which is quite an accomplishment considering that the matchup wasn't in Ganon's favor.

D

Deleted member

...the joke being that no Ganon main would consider using Warlock Punch in the first place?

Ganon's a ridiculously powerful character, and there's a video somewhere on YT of Ganon zero-to-KOing a pro Ice Climbers player, which is quite an accomplishment considering that the matchup wasn't in Ganon's favor.
(Forgive the double post. Still getting the hang of this.)

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
:4ness: PK Fire to Dthrow to Fair chain, Uair or Nair, PK Thunder harassing, B-Throw kills, yo-yo disrespect and D-Air is a piece of....oh wait, wrong game.
:ness2:DJC aerials all around for approach, juggles, Dair DJC shieldbreaker, DJC Bair for shieldpokes and killing, PK Flash for kabooms, PK Thunder is a piece of ****, yo-yo gimps, PK Fire to grab to U Throw to Uairs.

ninjuh1124

Smash Cadet
:bowser2: Armor
:falcon: Speed
:diddy: Stage Control
:dk2: Range
:falco::fox::wolf: Precision
:ganondorf: Disrespect
:popo: Buffs (pls?)
:ike: Mobility
:ivysaur::jigglypuff: Bair
:kirby2: Combo Breaker