• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What does a main mean to you?

Dr.Megaman

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dr.MM20XX
3DS FC
1392-5817-5075
How many mains do you think is the max. number in smash 4? I currently have 13 mains, and I plan on sticking to 13 or 14 if snake comes back as DLC....

Last edited:

SwoodGrommet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RIPinpieces
3DS FC
3652-0583-3903
I was lead to believe that you only had a single main, and then a secondary. :ohwell:

SwoodGrommet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RIPinpieces
3DS FC
3652-0583-3903
I was lead to believe that or you could have a lot of mains but no secondary...
I'm not criticising you for have a lot of mains. I have one main, but no secondary. A main is a character you put all your focus and energy into mastering; is that even possible with that many characters?

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
My interpretation is thusly:

"Main" refers to the character(s) you like the best and play most frequently. There is no arbitrary number to determine the optimal amount of "mains", but it's usually within the minority of characters you play.

"Secondary" refers to the character(s) you like to play, but not to the same extent as your "main". You can hold your own and choose to actively play them to some relatively proficient extent.

"Playabout" and "other" refers to the character(s) you can play, but don't generally choose to. The characters you wouldn't go out of your way to play in a serious match, but you wouldn't panic if you got them randomly.

"Good god what I am doing" refers to the character(s) you just can't play and don't understand at all. I'm being facetious with this term, but it's okay to admit that there are characters you just don't like or can't play!

So, for me right now, my "mains" would be: :4pit: :4palutena: :4lucina: :4rob: :4ludwig:

My "secondaries" would be: :4falcon: :4zss: :4greninja: :4duckhunt: :4drmario:

My "playabouts" / "others" would be: :4wario2: :4tlink: :4metaknight: :4pacman: :4robinf:

And then there's everybody else, really. That's just my interpretation, though, so do whatever you want to and enjoy doing it!

Last edited:

Raijinken

Smash Master
It's possible. Personally, since I'm average and not actually a competitor, I become suitably proficient with a large number of characters (something like :4falcon::4drmario::4falco::4ganondorf::4myfriends::4littlemac::4marth::4megaman::4ness::4pacman::4rob::4robinm::4shulk::4wario2: in Smash4 right now) and just focus on a smaller handful to pick from when friends challenge me main vs main (for that, I pick from :4robinm::4marth::4ness::4falcon: depending on the matchup).

There're a ton of characters in the game, and unless you really aim to compete (in which case you're more or less limited to picking from the "best" characters or struggling uphill to prove yours is the best), I personally don't see a reason to limit yourself to a small number of characters. Play as many as you find fun, but be at least good enough at those to put up a good fight in your normal play circle.

SevenYearItch

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3969-6079-3846
I'm not criticising you for have a lot of mains. I have one main, but no secondary. A main is a character you put all your focus and energy into mastering; is that even possible with that many characters?
A main would be your MAIN character. Saying "My main character is (lists 13 characters)" doesn't work to the definition of the word.

Anywho, my main is Falcon as of this gen. Literally went from never having touched Cpt Falcon to playing him solo and learning everything about him.

TypePositive

Smash Apprentice
**** I use to use greninja exclusively, but after 700 something games got bored and started punching stuff with little mac because trying to win gets tiresome.

XxBHunterxX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bryan
3DS FC
2766-9402-2187
I personally think it's about quality over quantity, I don't think you could realistically be equally good 13 characters and when you say "main" that's what you're implying.

For me 3 is the sweet spot, 4 is pushing it but it's not too bad

Raijinken

Smash Master
I personally think it's about quality over quantity, I don't think you could realistically be equally good 13 characters and when you say "main" that's what you're implying.

For me 3 is the sweet spot, 4 is pushing it but it's not too bad
I've typically had a "top five favorites" per game, with three that I considered my best, and one that I considered my main (Marth). But from a "I only play this character ever" stance, having a main at all is deliberately ignoring a huge portion of the game, in my opinion, so I try to at least play the majority of the roster "decently".

To use Wintropy's words, the only "Oh god what am I doing"-tier characters for me are :4jigglypuff::4sonic::4olimar::4diddy::4villager::4zss:and :4sheik:, and the last two hardly count since they're so easy to be effective with at my level of play. Everyone else I've either been playing for six to fifteen years, or is pretty easy to pick up and play (in my opinion).

XxBHunterxX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bryan
3DS FC
2766-9402-2187
I've typically had a "top five favorites" per game, with three that I considered my best, and one that I considered my main (Marth). But from a "I only play this character ever" stance, having a main at all is deliberately ignoring a huge portion of the game, in my opinion, so I try to at least play the majority of the roster "decently".

To use Wintropy's words, the only "Oh god what am I doing"-tier characters for me are :4jigglypuff::4sonic::4olimar::4diddy::4villager::4zss:and :4sheik:, and the last two hardly count since they're so easy to be effective with at my level of play. Everyone else I've either been playing for six to fifteen years, or is pretty easy to pick up and play (in my opinion).
I understand, I have 6 different characters I like to goof off with, it's just when I here a number as high as that for mains only I just compare it to myself and how I would never be able to do such a thing

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
"Main" typically means the main character you do best among all others with. One or two alternate is acceptable but you claim more than that i find it hard to believe you play that many characters equally in all situations.

There were only 3-4 characters in Brawl i didnt like to use (either useless or just didnt like how they worked, like Snake) but i still claimed Wolf/Wario as my mains because even though i'd play everyone else and win often, if you wanted to get serious with me i pulled wolf or wario out because i knew them way better than the rest, even if that wasnt saying much it still matters.

Ryuji

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ryuji777x
3DS FC
0044-3176-2969
I don't believe when people say they have 1839423 mains. I would define a main as a character who you are most likely to use and are most adept with. There can be more than one, but when the number is too high, there's no way you can claim you use them all equally for the same amount of time and are just as proficient as opposed to only a couple of mains. Having said that though, there is no point at which the number of mains you use becomes the max; however in general I would say that the number is always low. Now, there may be characters other than your mains who you like to use, but don't go calling them 'mains' when you're only half-decent.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
My "mains" are the characters I love the most. I have a large number because I only add to them with each game, and I have only ever lost one (with Snake being cut). I'm sorry if this doesn't fit someone else's specific criteria, but this is how I do things.

In Smash 64, Kirby was the character I went with from the start, once I unlocked Ness and Falcon, they fell into my mains.
:ness64::kirby64::falcon64:
In Melee, Mr. Game & Watch was the only newcomer that really got me, but I added Link to keep my mains even.
:gawmelee::nessmelee::kirbymelee::falconmelee::linkmelee:
Brawl gave me a few, Olimar, Dedede, Meta Knight, Snake, all great characters that I loved.
:gw::olimar::ness2::dedede::kirby2::metaknight::falcon::link2::snake:
While Smash 4 has taken away one of my mains, I also got many more with Pac-Man, Duck Hunt, Shulk, Robin, and Palutena.
:4pacman::4gaw::4duckhunt::4olimar::4ness::4dedede::4kirby::4metaknight::4falcon::4link::4shulk::4robinf::4palutena:

So yes, I have thirteen mains. I don't think that's a lot, considering the size of the roster. Am I great with all of them? No, Captain Falcon is probably the worst of my mains, while I'm at my best with Olimar, but I still enjoy playing as them all. Had Snake not been cut, I would have fifteen mains, as to keep things even, R.O.B. is the next in line to be bumped up like Link was.
Though I have Ness as my "main main," that is mostly for consistency, as he's been in every game since the beginning. If I had to pick a single character to be my main (best with, use the most, is my favorite, etc) then it would be Snake, but of course...

Of course, I also have secondaries:
:4rob::4megaman::4zss::4samus::4littlemac::4dk::4diddy::4miisword::4luigi::4wendy::4ganondorf::4zelda::4sheik::4pit::4darkpit:
I'm not as strict with these but I've mostly kept them the same, they do change around some though.

SevenYearItch

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3969-6079-3846
My "mains" are the characters I love the most. I have a large number because I only add to them with each game, and I have only ever lost one (with Snake being cut). I'm sorry if this doesn't fit someone else's specific criteria, but this is how I do things.

In Smash 64, Kirby was the character I went with from the start, once I unlocked Ness and Falcon, they fell into my mains.
:ness64::kirby64::falcon64:
In Melee, Mr. Game & Watch was the only newcomer that really got me, but I added Link to keep my mains even.
:gawmelee::nessmelee::kirbymelee::falconmelee::linkmelee:
Brawl gave me a few, Olimar, Dedede, Meta Knight, Snake, all great characters that I loved.
:gw::olimar::ness2::dedede::kirby2::metaknight::falcon::link2::snake:
While Smash 4 has taken away one of my mains, I also got many more with Pac-Man, Duck Hunt, Shulk, Robin, and Palutena.
:4pacman::4gaw::4duckhunt::4olimar::4ness::4dedede::4kirby::4metaknight::4falcon::4link::4shulk::4robinf::4palutena:

So yes, I have thirteen mains. I don't think that's a lot, considering the size of the roster. Am I great with all of them? No, Captain Falcon is probably the worst of my mains, while I'm at my best with Olimar, but I still enjoy playing as them all. Had Snake not been cut, I would have fifteen mains, as to keep things even, R.O.B. is the next in line to be bumped up like Link was.
Though I have Ness as my "main main," that is mostly for consistency, as he's been in every game since the beginning. If I had to pick a single character to be my main (best with, use the most, is my favorite, etc) then it would be Snake, but of course...

Of course, I also have secondaries:
:4rob::4megaman::4zss::4samus::4littlemac::4dk::4diddy::4miisword::4luigi::4wendy::4ganondorf::4zelda::4sheik::4pit::4darkpit:
I'm not as strict with these but I've mostly kept them the same, they do change around some though.

But thats not the definition of a main......Characters you love most is just fine. You have tons of characters you love to play. But if you're best with Olimar and play him enough to know that. He would be your main

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
But thats not the definition of a main......Characters you love most is just fine. You have tons of characters you love to play. But if you're best with Olimar and play him enough to know that. He would be your main
It's not your definition of a main.
I cannot pick Olimar over any of my other mains, just because he is my best does not make him my favorite.

main (meɪn)
adj (prenominal)
1. chief or principal in rank, importance, size, etc

All of my mains are equally important to me. Trying to pick one is like trying to pick a favorite child.

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
My interpretation is thusly:

"Main" refers to the character(s) you like the best and play most frequently. There is no arbitrary number to determine the optimal amount of "mains", but it's usually within the minority of characters you play.

"Secondary" refers to the character(s) you like to play, but not to the same extent as your "main". You can hold your own and choose to actively play them to some relatively proficient extent.

"Playabout" and "other" refers to the character(s) you can play, but don't generally choose to. The characters you wouldn't go out of your way to play in a serious match, but that you wouldn''t panic over if you got them randomly.

"Good god what I am doing" refers to the character(s) you just can't play and don't understand at all. I'm being facetious with this term, but it's okay to admit that there are characters you just don't like or can't play!

So, for me right now, my "mains" would be: :4pit: :4palutena: :4lucina: :4rob: :4ludwig:

My "secondaries" would be: :4falcon: :4zss: :4greninja: :4duckhunt: :4drmario:

My "playabouts" / "others" would be: :4wario2: :4tlink: :4metaknight: :4pacman: :4robinf:

And then there's everybody else, really. That's just my interpretation, though, so do whatever you want to and enjoy doing it!
Took the words right out of my mouth, as usual haha! XD Thanks for explaining my thought process on mains in great detail, I'm glad we're on the same page once again. :3

For me my mains tend to revolve around characters and games that I enjoy the most but they also fall to the best or most frequently played characters in the roster.

My "mains" currently are : :4robinm::4lucina::4shulk::4pit::4palutena::4darkpit: because they come from my three favourite games of all time, Fire Emblem: Awakening, Xenoblade Chronicles and Kid Icarus: Uprising respectfully.

My "secondaries" are: :4roy::4pacman::4drmario::4zss::4megaman::4greninja:

My "playabouts/others" are: :4tlink::4littlemac::4kirby::4bowser::4rob::4falcon:

Everyone else I usually don't play as unless I have to but that could change quite drastically with the Wii U version coming out soon. Essentially, you can have as many mains or secondaries as you want, it's completely subjective and up to you. Having more characters to pick and choose, at least in my humble opinion, is FAR better than limiting yourself to just one or two characters. But of course, that line of thinking revolves around my play style and everyone else is different, which perfectly fine of course.

XxBHunterxX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bryan
3DS FC
2766-9402-2187
It's not your definition of a main.
I cannot pick Olimar over any of my other mains, just because he is my best does not make him my favorite.

main (meɪn)
adj (prenominal)
1. chief or principal in rank, importance, size, etc

All of my mains are equally important to me. Trying to pick one is like trying to pick a favorite child.
But it seems you know what people mean when they ask you who your main is though, they're asking you who's your best character not your favorites and it wouldn't really make sense for you to name 15 different fighters knowing that someone only asked for 1 especially if you're knowingly answering it in a different context altogether

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
But it seems you know what people mean when they ask you who your main is though, they're asking you who's your best character not your favorites and it wouldn't really make sense for you to name 15 different fighters knowing that someone only asked for 1 especially if you're knowingly answering it in a different context altogether
Main =/= best.

Anyone who wants to know my mains asks who my mains are, anyone who wants to know my best asks me who I'm best with.

TeamEvil

Smash Rookie
I think 3 is a reasonably number of characters to put time and effort into. 13 seems a bit much. I've been maining Falcon and Robin. The bird Alliance!

Last edited:

XxBHunterxX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bryan
3DS FC
2766-9402-2187
Main =/= best.

Anyone who wants to know my mains asks who my mains are, anyone who wants to know my best asks me who I'm best with.
I noticed when you make profile here they ask you who your "main" is for each smash game, given your definition of "main" why is ness the only one I see?

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I noticed when you make profile here they ask you who your "main" is for each smash game, given your definition of "main" why is ness the only one I see?
If you had bothered to read my first post, then you would know the answer to that.

Zage

Smash Journeyman
Oh look, a topic that pertains to my signature. Anyway, One.

If you use the word main, but list more than one character. I can't take you seriously.

Last edited:

Itty Bit

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Itty Bit♪
3DS FC
2878-9679-6999
I've still yet to find my absolute favorite character, despite having played quite a bit since the release.
I mean, I feel like my best is Villager, but I also reeeeally love playing Pac Man and Peach, too.
I think recently I've found myself playing Peach the most, but that's because I really want to get good with her.

Cammed Z28

SB-Jgd = My FG gamer tag
3DS FC
2852-9484-2780
Yeah....

Nothing like people ignoring definitions and or creating their own to support their argument. Trying to play semantic games lulz

"Well I like to think this means that"

WRONG.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
If we're following based on the "Main"/"Secondary"/"Playabout" setup mine would likely be...

Secondary and Playabout being split into 2 sets because I have several I play a lot and several I switch to but don't always touch.

Main :4pikachu::4sonic:
Secondary 1 :4darkpit::4tlink::4greninja::4metaknight:
Secondary 2 :4miisword::4falco::4pacman::4megaman:
Playabout 1 :4myfriends::4marth::4kirby::4falcon:
Playabout 2 :4wario::4bowserjr::4mario::4luigi::4duckhunt::4bowser:

Everyone else I almost never or will never touch lol

Last edited:

Ehn Jolly

Smash Journeyman
I'm on the Main=One myself, that's kind of the definition of it. For me, if there's more than one, I'd consider that your primaries, since Main is singular. Like my Main is :4littlemac: but my primaries are :4littlemac: :4lucina: :4darkpit: and :4shulk: since the latter 3 are all characters I'm trying to learn, and could eventually unseat :4littlemac: as my true main. But I'd consider :4lucina: :4darkpit: and :4shulk: as secondaries first and foremost.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
If pros can have 2-3 mains in Tournament, I don't see why a person can't have 2-3 mains. However, I think having too many is stretching it.

Cruncher93

Smash Cadet
Well one way to find out which from the 13 or so characters you like is your main could be to imagine two scenarios:
a) It's the finals of a tournament, you don't know what character your opponent chooses. Who do you play as?
b) There is a bug in the game that lets you play only one character until its fixed, which one do you choose?

If you answer with the same one both times, that's definitely your main. Otherwise one of those two might be. If you can't decide for a single character, you should at least narrow it down to a few.

For me: a) Ganondorf b) Yoshi.
I would say my main is Yoshi since he is more fun to play for a long time, but I'm simply much better with Ganondorf (even if he has more weaknesses).

Saturnity

Smash Rookie
Wouldn't a 2nd or 3rd main just be considered a secondary? Splitting your time exactly evenly doesn't sound like a very good idea.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Main =/= best.

That hits it pretty well. Especially in Smash4, I definitely feel like I play best on Ness or Marth. But Robin is my most-played and favorite character in Smash4 specifically, despite having thirteen years of experience playing Marth and fifteen years playing Ness and Captain Falcon. Which one does that make my main? Your answer might be Marth (he's the one I spent the most time with in past games). But if you ask me my main, then I'll certainly answer that it's Robin.

Last edited:

XxBHunterxX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bryan
3DS FC
2766-9402-2187
If you had bothered to read my first post, then you would know the answer to that.
I did read it and I'm not trying to devalue all of the characters you use it would be hypocritical for me to do so because I have a very similar pattern with my characters throughout the series

I was just pointing out that you use the literal definition of main instead of the one used by the smash community, I'm just trying to figure out why you use the the literal one instead of the smash one, main doesn't have a plural and you say you don't put any of you're mains above one another so by you're definition you wouldn't have a main at all

DadPalindrome

Smash Cadet
NNID
DadPalindrome
3DS FC
3780-9241-3996
Hey, If you are equally proficient with 13 characters and have played the exact amount of time with all of them, then sure, I guess you have 13 "mains".
As for me, I main Little Mac, Pac-Man is my secondary, and I play about with Ness, DHD and Sheik.

pinkhairedprotagonist

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0103-9004-1386
I think as long as you don't have too many it's fine.

My personal definition of a main is the characters you spend the most time with and if you were trying to seriously win, you'd use. But that's just how I think of it.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I was just pointing out that you use the literal definition of main instead of the one used by the smash community, I'm just trying to figure out why you use the the literal one instead of the smash one, main doesn't have a plural and you say you don't put any of you're mains above one another so by you're definition you wouldn't have a main at all
The Smash community also bastardized the term "retro" to fit their own uses. Some people might use it that way, but that's just not how it works. I won't restrict myself to one character, that would just get boring, and I can use them all well enough anyway.

They are my mains because they are all the most important, it's as simple as that.
If you use the word main, but list more than one character. I can't take you seriously.
If you restrict yourself to one character and hate the rest of the roster, I can't take you seriously. :4pacman:
Excuse me for not being closed minded, I enjoy playing as the entire roster. Why on earth would I ignore every other character?
My personal definition of a main is the characters you spend the most time with and if you were trying to seriously win, you'd use.
By that definition, I may as well be maining everyone. I try to win no matter who I use, and I play well with 99% of the roster.

pinkhairedprotagonist

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0103-9004-1386
By that definition, I may as well be maining everyone. I try to win no matter who I use, and I play well with 99% of the roster.
I said it was my personal definition for a reason, as it's the one I go by. I wasn't trying to convince anyone, I was just sharing.

It also should be noted I said seriously because otherwise I play pretty silly, so while I am trying to normally win, if I wasn't trying to seriously win then I'd attempt to do really risky but fun things, like off stage rests.

Top Bottom