• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What do you think of the Smash community compared to other communities you are/have been in?

Dokokashira

Smash Journeyman
(I apologize if this is in the wrong section or forum. This seemed like the closest section to it.)

I've recently started participating in the competitive Smash community as my second competitive community after Pokémon, and after only a little time in it, I noticed that I had a lot more enjoyment with Smash than I ever did Pokémon. The Smash community is really welcoming, friendly, and helpful! People always offer genuine advice that's actually useful (stop using x move so much, since it's laggy, predictable, etc., try using y instead, but use x in z situation), and will support you no matter what kind of path you want to take in competitive. From what I've seen as well, elitist or arrogant people tend to be ignored or frowned upon. I really feel at home here in the Smash community.

The Pokémon community (Smogon/Showdown in particular, where I frequent), on the other hand... I don't know, playing Smash has really opened my eyes to all the problems with it. While there's obviously kind, legitimate people there as well, they're much rarer than Smash. Headstrong people are pretty much the norm there, among both famous and new players. They give you vague advice that barely helps (use x Pokémon, it's OP) and often tend to ridicule you if you attempt to experiment with new teams, Pokémon, or strategies. Everyone seems to use the same things, with only really high level players using anything different. Of course, this is just my personal experience with the community... for all I know I could have been thrown into a massive batch of bad apples.

So, I was curious! For anyone else who has had experience in communities (competitive gaming or not) other than Smash, what's your thoughts on them in comparison to Smash?

D

Deleted member

So far I'm liking the Smash community more than the Mario Kart community I used to be involved in. A bunch of people my age act like 8 year olds whenever they lose a race and take the game too seriously. Clans were a huge thing and it was high school cliques all over again. If you weren't too good at the game you'll get lambasted and will insult you. Fortunately the clan I was in were nice and didn't care that I wasn't as good as the others but many others weren't so tolerable about it.

That said, the Smash community has its flaws too (seriously every community has its ups and downs) but I like it more than the MK community.

Aphistemi

Smash Ace
NNID
MasterOfTheToots
NRS community was pretty bad, I used to play for a clan called KHAOTIC, the clan itself was cool, but people looked down on you for a clan tag, they automatically assume you are scum or lower level than they are,

people threating to kill you and hack your ps3/xbox. lying and framing others to protect themselves, Cheating in clan wars....

IMO NRS is the worst community around when it comes to fighting games.

Smash is an amazing community, you get a few bad ones but overall I love it.

Roukiske

Smash Journeyman
My impression: Sm4sh comes off as a friendly community, but perhaps too soft and a bit whiny at times. Some complaints asked on here would be chewed out by SF, Marvel, Melee, and the like. Most can be responded with "Don't be a bi#%$", but it wouldn't be accepted around here, though it is a perfectly legitimate response sometimes. I like to say we are more "Family Friendly" and supportive, though I wish we could be slightly more mature. It has it's pros and cons really.

Overall, I like you guys, well... most of you guys... :]

As a side note: I think the Monster Hunter community might be my favorite community.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
As a side note: I think the Monster Hunter community might be my favorite community.
Like no joke, those guys might as well be a family.

Never have I met a community so warm to everyone.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Smash is a great community. Very diverse and interesting.

The Skullgirls community is weird and hilarious.

And, honestly, the vast majority of the MLP fans I've met at cons and such are great, friendly people.

D

Deleted member 269706

We've got the know it all's, the "been there from the beginning", the newbies, and the trolls.

Nah but seriously, I think we have one of the closest and most well developed communities out there. People constantly experimenting and sharing their findings with their characters. Showing off new techniques and discussing what changes need to be made to the rules. There's really not many problems, and almost all of them are dealt with in a good manner. And that's saying a lot, because we've got a pretty big community.

Acadian Flycatcher

Smash Journeyman
From my experience it's been a bunch of immature, entitled people that are extremely vocal about what they believe makes a Smash Bros. game playable. Maybe that's why I'm so sour nowadays...

I've been off and on with this site. But I joined this forum before the launch of Brawl. I never really posted, I just came here to soak in the hype. So once Brawl came out I spent more time playing it then on this forum. So when I returned a few months after it was literally a battle field. There was the huge discussion of Melee vs Brawl that lasted for years. The basic argument was how Brawl "sucked" and the Brawl fans were just tired of Melee fans ****ting on the game. And for the most part that was true. In the Brawl vs. Melee war it was never an argument as to which game was better. The argument was basically Melee fans saying how much the game sucked and Brawl fans defending it because they enjoyed it.

So seeing all that soured my opinion on the internet community for Smash. It seems like you couldn't say you liked Brawl without looking over your shoulder in fear someone may call you a filthy casual and question your mental state. No matter how many times you tried to tell them that Brawl is supposed to be different than Melee, so they Melee mentality won't work, it never swayed them. They all wanted Melee 2.0 with better graphics, more characters and stages, but they won't straight up admit it. They wanted it to be heavier, to be quicker, to have wavedashing, but when you asked "why not just Melee 2.0?" they would reply with "no I want something different". So Brawl was too different for their taste, and they made anyone who enjoyed it feel bad about it.

So then some people hated Brawl so much and they couldn't adapt that they created project M. And peace was somewhat restored.

So here comes Smash 4 where COUNTLESS threads were created basically saying "oh **** it's another Brawl".
And this mentality continued for a while, where some people even wanted a Project M for Smash 4.
So now it's at the point where they want Sakurai's head and someone new in charge. But what they don't understand is the new guy isn't going to be a tournament style advocate kissing the feet of the players and catering to their needs.

So in my experience, it hasn't been pleasant. However I do understand that the Nazi-like Melee advocates are not the majority but just the vocal minority, but it's like when you get a single hair in a slice of pizza and you never want to get pizza from that place again.

Last edited:

Aygent

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ayygent
3DS FC
4570-7961-7152
I've been apart of the COD scene since COD 3, and in a public eye it's extremely toxic. However at a competitive level (outside of the web) it's generally not so bad. Guild Wars has always been a very close knit group, and Mortal Kombat has been a growing yet welcoming scene. The smash community gets so many things right and so many things wrong. The biggest sin of the smash community is not having one game to move forward to in my eyes. There's currently what I view as this ugly divorce from Melee and Sm4sh in regards to what and who is more deserving to be called " the real smash community". I see so much hate to sm4sh, and I see hate to melee PM as equally to where it's not even fun at some events because of the bias one could feel. However, the smash community brings alot of folks together, and the pop offs are the best of any scene period. Hype moments? Got em'. Big numbers? Got em'. I just hope the smash community can be less hateful to one another.

aethermaster

Smash Ace
NNID
Aethermaster
3DS FC
2552-2699-1664
In the year and a half I've been in this community I've seen a lot of good being done but equally as much bad. This community is very interesting because we take the reins of being "outcasts" within the fgc, in other words not as accepted as other mainstream fighting games, yet both Smash 4 and Melee are at EVO. We're a community who pretty much accepted a full mod into the circuit for a little while, something that I don't think I've ever seen, and that was a community effort because we wanted to make Smash what it could be competitively.

Then Smash 4 came out. While people resent the game for being Brawl 2.0 and taking PM's spotlight, its only now that its gaining some slight traction and being accepted even though it's not what everybody wanted (thanks in part to the Diddy patch I feel). At this point, if the Melee and 4 community can't get along or come to terms I think it should stay separated, but at the same time what is that showing the other communities? That we can't get along? I don't see third strike fans fight against 4 fans (even though 4 moves at a slower pace). I dunno, everybody just seems to get a long better which I theorize could be caused by feeling neglected by other communities.

I'm not going to hail Smash 4. It has its problems yes, but if people want to play it competitively, then let them. But all this fight whether it should be 2 stock vs 3 stock and customs is tearing a hole deep and its something that needs to be decided upon as the community begins it's first year in the meta.

tl;dr I love this community as it is diverse and unique from the other games, but it can be better. melee vs smash 4 arguments and smash 4's ruleset argument are hurting the community.

Top Bottom