• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What do you think happens to you after you die?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koskinator

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3308-4564-8881
Personally, I believe that after you die, your soul lives on in the next child that is born. Basically what I mean is, that when I die, my soul will enter the body of the next child born, no matter where that child may be, but that child will grow up to live and act and like all the things I did in my previous life. I don't think its too far fetched, nothing in this topic is at all really, being that no one can actually prove what happens to you. Thoughts?,

yossarian22

Smash Journeyman
I die. That's really about it for me. No reincarnation or heaven or hell.

Well, I suppose there is the idea that as our brain's consciousness collapses, time dilates making an instance seem like an eternity. The instance is either pleasure or pain. But that sounds a bit far fetched to me. I'll know when I'm dead; I am not in any hurry to find out.

D

Deleted member

I die. That's really about it for me. No reincarnation or heaven or hell.

Well, I suppose there is the idea that as our brain's consciousness collapses, time dilates making an instance seem like an eternity. The instance is either pleasure or pain. But that sounds a bit far fetched to me. I'll know when I'm dead; I am not in any hurry to find out.
I remember thinking when I was younger of a situation where a man was shot in the part of the brain that senses time...causing you to lose the normal concept of it.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
There is no debate here, but I'll let it go for a bit. Just stay on the topic of afterlife really.

Caturdayz

Smash Journeyman
I believe that I will be reincarnated into any lifeform that is about to be born upon my death.

I have no basis for this belief. But hey, blind belief works for theists it can work for me.

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
I can't see the significance for believing in reincarnation (If one cannot remember something, it is like it never happened) and as such I don't believe in it. I can't say much on death as I have never experienced it. I'm agnostic, I guess.

Caturdayz

Smash Journeyman
I can't see the significance for believing in reincarnation (If one cannot remember something, it is like it never happened) and as such I don't believe in it. I can't say much on death as I have never experienced it. I'm agnostic, I guess.
____

I agree... however reincarnation is far more appealing to me than being worm food.

If i am wrong than I can accept that...
If i am right than thats great!

Its like an atheist's version of Pascal's Wager. :)

behemoth

Smash Journeyman
To quote my roommate (a member of the Native American church), "Death is the next great journey."

I personally believe that the consciousness has to go somewhere. Regardless of the fact that my consciousness is essentially the volatile memory in my brain PC, the energy has to go somewhere.

Then, sometimes, I get the cold feeling that it doesn't, it merely dissipates.

..sad panda. :(

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
I'm very, uhm, down to earth I guess is a good way to describe it. I have a hard time believing things like I have a soul, just general items like that.

I think we'll just rot six feet under. My "beliefs" also consist of a cofusion to the point of life, which is ultimately what your asking. Where are we, generally leads to where are we going, which is the same as what are we doing here. IMO, we're doing nothing and going no where.

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
Then I will I will say, woah. Then move on with whatever we do.

This relates to religion almost too, which I have none. I don't believe we go anywhere after we die, so my logic just tells me we will stay where we were buried.

I do however, believe in another "presence" because there is no way we hare the only life forms. I agree with "The Butterfly Effect" (not the movie, its concept) and the ending of Men in Black (yes the movie).

Knyaguy

Smash Lord
I think that I would go to heaven... I have thought about idea of reincarnation but imo, your more likely going to end up in a box 6 feet under than reincarnated.

Knight-errant

Smash Apprentice
Here it is from a biblical perspective: Some people will try to tell that the bible teaches that you go to heaven/hell when you die. You don't.

Some proof:

Psa 6:4 Turn, O LORD, deliver my life; save me for the sake of your steadfast love.
Psa 6:5 For in death there is no remembrance of you; in Sheol who will give you praise?

There is no remembrance of God in death. Obviously if David (the writer of this psalm) died and went to heaven, then he would be praising God. More:

Acts 2:34 For David did not ascend into the heavens...

And if you want more, I can give them. What the bible actually teaches about "afterlife" (if you want to call it that) is that there is a resurrection. When Jesus returns to the earth to set up the Kingdom he will raise some people from the dead.

1Th 4:13 But we do not want you to be uninformed, brothers, about those who are asleep, that you may not grieve as others do who have no hope.
1Th 4:16 For the Lord himself will descend from heaven with a cry of command, with the voice of an archangel, and with the sound of the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first.

Nothing about heaven/hell there, but rather it's all about the resurrection. That's what the Christian hope is *supposed* to be. But you'll find that basically zero Christians talk about it, and instead there "hope" is in going to heaven, which has no biblical basis.

Teebs

Smash Champion
NNID
Teebs-kun
I've actually wondered if I could start my life over after I die, starting in 3rd grade, that would be awesome! Why 3rd grade? Well, 3rd grade is when my elem. education took a big brick fall, and I would get into hockey or lacrosse.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
I've actually wondered if I could start my life over after I die, starting in 3rd grade, that would be awesome! Why 3rd grade? Well, 3rd grade is when my elem. education took a big brick fall, and I would get into hockey or lacrosse.
I think something like this would be awesome too. But what about this, when you die, you go to a library type place, with recordings of all your choices in life, then you are able to pick through them and change those choices, and relive short periods of time, with that choice?

Teebs

Smash Champion
NNID
Teebs-kun
I think something like this would be awesome too. But what about this, when you die, you go to a library type place, with recordings of all your choices in life, then you are able to pick through them and change those choices, and relive short periods of time, with that choice?
That would be pretty cool. What would you consider a short period of time? I'd honestly, like for example, I did go back and decided to play Lacrosse, I'd want to live through my high school career again and actually those 4 years out, and even play in college if I got the choice.

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
This is the one question I don't enjoy thinking about.

Simply not existing, or going to some indeterminate afterlife of sorts.

Not existing is what worries me the most, I don't exactly believe in a god, but just not being is so incomprehensible to me. Even in sleep I feel alive, and I know I'm alive. But death? I'm afraid. Something I can't even make a theory upon, I can't even use somebody else's ideas, I just can't comprehend death. And because of that I am afraid. Death is rational, but what about the state of being dead? The end of biological life, what about the thoughts? The consciousness, the realization that you exist. Do our minds transcend our bodies? More than likely not. Which again, I fear. All that untold and undocumented information, gone.

In the context of death is the only time I wish and want to believe there is a god. Because at least a god is benevolent enough to let our minds live on.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
That would be pretty cool. What would you consider a short period of time? I'd honestly, like for example, I did go back and decided to play Lacrosse, I'd want to live through my high school career again and actually those 4 years out, and even play in college if I got the choice.
Well it could be say, 1-2 months at a time, but you can have more then one, that way you could skip ahead without being stuck with a bad choice

UberBob

Smash Apprentice
I'd like to think that I am reincarnated, but my practical side tells me I will just cease to exist forever... and ever... and ever...

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
This is the one question I don't enjoy thinking about.

Simply not existing, or going to some indeterminate afterlife of sorts.

Not existing is what worries me the most, I don't exactly believe in a god, but just not being is so incomprehensible to me. Even in sleep I feel alive, and I know I'm alive. But death? I'm afraid. Something I can't even make a theory upon, I can't even use somebody else's ideas, I just can't comprehend death. And because of that I am afraid. Death is rational, but what about the state of being dead? The end of biological life, what about the thoughts? The consciousness, the realization that you exist. Do our minds transcend our bodies? More than likely not. Which again, I fear. All that untold and undocumented information, gone.

In the context of death is the only time I wish and want to believe there is a god. Because at least a god is benevolent enough to let our minds live on.
You took the words right out of my mouth. I think this is a big reason why a lot of people convert to Christianity. They're scared of leaving their families and never seeing them again or they are afraid death and the possibility of going to Hell, so they change their beliefs just as a safety precaution.

I'm actually more afraid of losing someone close to me than dying myself, especially when you're with them before they die. I'd like to believe there is a Heaven or some sort of afterlife because it's a lot more comforting than just disappearing and forgetting everything. But i don't.

That's a very interesting idea. I'd love to look back on my life and see what would happen if i did certain things differently.

Cat Fight

Smash Lord
NNID
NoGoodEndings
I'm not particularly afraid of death, but I am afraid of dying... albeit worried about where I will end up in an indeterminate afterlife (as I don't practice religion).

However, I would like to believe that an individual's "soul" (thoughts, habits, etc) linger in new life after death, but lacking any sort of understanding and the personal inability to form a theory on such a thing... I can only hope there is existence beyond the gates of Tabula Rasa.

"Man is free at the moment he wishes to be " - Voltaire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom