• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What do you think about current video game/comic movie adaptations?

TerraCaty'

Smash Cadet
NNID
IndubitablyMe
3DS FC
1118-0357-0894
After seeing a majority of Pixels (quit a while in) and hearing about Fantastic 4 this popped into my head.
In my eye's for the most part they're absolutely dreadful, though comic's have it easier than video games. Marvel especially.
Poor Superman. Poor Spidey. POOR ARCADE ERA.
Batman's better off though (thank god)
There are like no straight video game adaptations that I can say I was pleased with, and though I can think of some VERY few homages.
In my eyes only Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World and Wreck It Ralph got it right and even then they're not about anything specific.
I just want a good adaption. It IS possible.
What are your thoughts on the subject?

Last edited:

Zink Imp

Smash Ace
I work in the film industry. Here's why most films off of video games end up bad:

-The executives want the name-brand, but because of the source material, they are hard to market. As such, movies are often rewritten, reshot, and reedited over and over again (see: Mario movie).

-Again, executives are only interested in the name. And as such, not as much is care and attention is put into them and the projects are made by amateur production companies with an amateur team and a not-so-big budget. (see: Chun Li movie).

-Some are just bad because they are bad. (see Prince of Persia).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Don't forget the spongebob movie game for XBOX/NGC/PS2/GBA/PC

even though it has recycled graphics, there is a saying:
"If it's already good, don't fix it."

Last edited by a moderator:

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
After seeing a majority of Pixels (quit a while in) and hearing about Fantastic 4 this popped into my head.
In my eye's for the most part they're absolutely dreadful, though comic's have it easier than video games. Marvel especially.
Poor Superman. Poor Spidey. POOR ARCADE ERA.
Batman's better off though (thank god)
There are like no straight video game adaptations that I can say I was pleased with, and though I can think of some VERY few homages.
In my eyes only Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World and Wreck It Ralph got it right and even then they're not about anything specific.
I just want a good adaption. It IS possible.
What are your thoughts on the subject?
Just figured I'd say, the movie Scott Pilgrim vs The World is adapted from the graphic novel.

TerraCaty'

Smash Cadet
NNID
IndubitablyMe
3DS FC
1118-0357-0894
Just figured I'd say, the movie Scott Pilgrim vs The World is adapted from the graphic novel.
True but it still owe's some of itself to gaming
I work in the film industry. Here's why most films off of video games end up bad:

-The executives want the name-brand, but because of the source material, they are hard to market. As such, movies are often rewritten, reshot, and reedited over and over again (see: Mario movie).

-Again, executives are only interested in the name. And as such, not as much is care and attention is put into them and the projects are made by amateur production companies with an amateur team and a not-so-big budget. (see: Chun Li movie).

Oh yeah I forgot about the executives having complete and total power on most projects, thanks for the insight man.
Don't forget the spongebob movie game for XBOX/NGC/PS2/GBA/PC
even though it has recycled graphics, there is a saying:
"If it's already good, don't fix it."
I couldn't EVER forget about those.
Even if I tried.

dezeray112

Smash Hero

I pretty much agree with this. I do feel that the Tekken and King of Fighters live action movies were pretty bad as well.

finalark

SNORLAX
True but it still owe's some of itself to gaming
Yeah, but calling Scott Pilgrim a video game movie instead of a comic book movie is like calling Lord of the Rings a mythology movie and not an adaptation of a book.

I haven't seen Fantastic Four and I don't plan to. I had really mixed feelings from the trailer, on the one hand I was excited to see the team get another shot at the big screen but on the other hand I was afraid it was going to try too hard to be epic and awe-inspiring. After hearing that it sucks, I'm disappointed but can't say I'm surprised. Fox obvious has no idea how to make a Fantastic Four movie. I really wish Marvel would buy the rights back. They're the only ones who seem to know how to balance camp, action and drama.

Zink Imp

Smash Ace
I pretty much agree with this. I do feel that the Tekken and King of Fighters live action movies were pretty bad as well.
I haven't seen the KoF but the Tekken movie is another good example. Harada said that he and Namco barely had any supervision over the movie. Also the production company is a company I have never heard of. The Tekken movie did have some good merits, like some pretty good choreography and production values. The plot was just dropped 3 quarters in, though.

I don't have high hopes for Warcraft.
I actually do. It's a big budget movie from Legendary, so I'm interested.

Plus Blizzard is known to be very protective of Warcraft and that was true with this movie. The movie was first announced in 2006 with Sam Raimi on board. It's taken so long because Raimi's script didn't please Blizzard, so they threw it out.

But hey, just because the game creators are involved also doesn't mean a lot. They're game creators...not movie makers.

Yoshi

Smash Lord
I think the "genre" is being approached the wrong way. Anytime you see a video game being adapted, you only see the name itself on the final product. Hitman (both movies) didn't really have much resemblance to the original series. As a whole, not much of the elements from the game are in the movie, and that's a crime to fans. Marvel (and hopefully DC) is doing somewhat similar things, where plots and elements from the adapted comics are used, but still respective the source materials to a degree while also giving new ideas. Maybe I'm bitter towards the countless "video games turned movies" that were duds in all forms, or maybe I'm just wishing one movie would be a respectful adaptation, but right now the genre as a whole is pretty insulting to gamers. Just my take.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
My opinion is that there's simply way too many of both. Just cut down on the amount, and the quality will return.

Right now, though, the glut of comic movies slated from here to at least 2020 has turned me off of film as a medium for the time being.

Nona

Power of the Nonado♥
I rewatched Batman & Robin for the umpteenth time and I'm still not tired of those ice puns.
"What killed the dinosaurs? The ice age!"

Also, the Mortal Kombat movies (from the 90s) are so bad they're good imo. I never get tired of them. The one-liners kill me.
The Persona 3 movies thus far are doing a good job at mirroring the game while making it somewhat of a new experience.

The Resident Evil movies need a reboot tho. They've gone down super hard since the 2nd film (with Nemesis). I'm tired of Mary-Sue Milla Jovovich and minor roles for the official characters (sans a few, like Jill/Wesker/Claire). They should have gone with the original Romero script. Reading the wiki makes me flustered, "According to an interview in Electronic Gaming Monthly, Yoshiki Okamoto cites that Capcom disliked Romero's script and he was fired[7]. The belief was that the story was too altered from the game's original premise and that it would ultimately alienate newcomers and fans alike[8]" As if the current Resident Evil films aren't doing that.

...Still waiting on a Sonic movie tho:

PS. It's not a movie, but I've started reading the Walking Dead and so far I don't think the TV show has ruined anything. A few plot point changes here and there but it's not so major. Then again, I haven't read that far. :)

Last edited:

TerraCaty'

Smash Cadet
NNID
IndubitablyMe
3DS FC
1118-0357-0894
So, which comic and video game movie adaptions would you say are good and bad examples?
WHOOOO Lets see here
Uhhh
Notably Good:
Wreck It Ralph
Guardians of the Galaxy (IMO) some people have beef with that and I kinda don't get why
can't think of much more that aren't about the nitty-gritty of making the actual comics/games
Bad:
Street Fighter (Not the Animated ones)
Mortal Kombat (I'll admit they are funny)
Silent Hill
Resident Evil (ALL OF THEM) Sorry they're enjoyable but they're constructed badly
Super Mario Bros
Not really a video game but Battleships
ALL of the Superman movies
Most of the Batman movies
Spiderman 3 and everything after
A good chunk of the X men flicks
Fantastic 4 (OBVS)
DC comic movies in general
Tomb Raider
Hitman
Prince of Persia
Doom (even though I enjoy it a slight bit)

PS. It's not a movie, but I've started reading the Walking Dead and so far I don't think the TV show has ruined anything. A few plot point changes here and there but it's not so major. Then again, I haven't read that far. :)
Season 2 Will kill you.
Season 2 is a mockery of the comic.
Season 2 and AMC can burn.
Sorry I got really angry after finding out about what AMC did to the original creators and the cast
I suggest you find out too

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
ALL of the Superman movies
Most of the Batman movies
Spiderman 3 and everything after
DC comic movies in general
I thought the early Superman movies were pretty good. Mostly just Superman I and II. Although those movies really aren't holding up all that well these days TBH. Aside from that, III and IV are bad, Returns is boring and forgettable, and Man of Steel suffered from pacing issues, Clark's numerous OOC moments (killing Zod wasn't the only one, and for the record as a Superman fan I was actually not really bothered by it) and trying too damn hard to be the Nolan Batman movies. Comic book writers have written a ton of good stories about Superman. Why can't Hollywood seem to do it?

As far as Batman goes, IMO the only ones worth seeing is the first Burton movie, Begins and The Dark Knight. Although Batman and Robin can be enjoyable if you like campy Batman. If that's not your cup of tea its a stupid, stupid movie though.

Right now I'm cautiously optimistic about DC's future. The Suicide Squad trailer looks promising. I'm less hopeful for Batman/Superman, though. I've been wanting a Bman/Sman movie for years now but it looks like it, just like Man of Steel before it, is going to be trapped in the shadow of the Nolan Batman movies. I am excited to see them show off the DCU in it, though. So there's some hope.

On that note, I really don't get people's beef with DC's (or whoever is in charge of these movies) casting choices. I have no issue with Ben Affleck at Batman and I'm fine with Jared Leto as the Joker. Although his performance in the Suicide Squad trailer leaves me to believe he's going to spend the entire movie trying to recreate Ledger's Joker. Which is a shame, I'd rather he put his own spin on it.

On an unrelated note, the only Spider-Man movie I've ever liked was the first Amazing movie. There's a lot of things I don't like about the Raimi films. The tone, style and characterization just doesn't do it for me. I'm really disappointed that Amazing 2 was bad, since I thought the new series had some real potential. Oh well.

TerraCaty'

Smash Cadet
NNID
IndubitablyMe
3DS FC
1118-0357-0894
Honestly I am really not looking forward to suicide squad.
Like when you take the Joker and tattoo "damaged" on his head.
I can't.
I just can't get into that.
Also I don't have been with Affleck or Leto either but I do think there were better choices.

Kneutronic

Lurker By Nature
3DS FC
2062-9725-8885
Switch FC
SW-1036-7436-7807
Well... Comic movies aren't too bad, I particularly love the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Video game films are not that good, though... To top that all off, FNAF is being made into a movie at some point...

Top Bottom