• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What do you thing is the most important thing about playing Pac-Man?

Neutricity

Smash Apprentice
I think the most important thing is having the mix-ups to really punish your opponent. But let's all collaborate together and build off ideas and find new kill set-ups or things we never knew :)

Mochamico

Smash Cadet
NNID
FancyPancy
3DS FC
3437-4422-3883
Utilizing your projectiles while also not having them be used against you.

Neutricity

Smash Apprentice
Utilizing your projectiles while also not having them be used against you.
To be honest, I think any character that is faster than pac-man can POTENTIALLY beat pac-man. Like sonic. If he takes that fruit he could run until time goes out, which I hate with a burning passion. Let's be careful of what we throw at sanic

Mochamico

Smash Cadet
NNID
FancyPancy
3DS FC
3437-4422-3883
To be honest, I think any character that is faster than pac-man can POTENTIALLY beat pac-man. Like sonic. If he takes that fruit he could run until time goes out, which I hate with a burning passion. Let's be careful of what we throw at sanic
Well, that's why you shouldn't only use fruit. You should rely on them, but should the situation arise, you need to be able to fight without them. This isn't Villager we're talking about, knowing close-range and far away offense is vital when you're playing PAC-MAN, because you'll always be in one situation or the other.

BSP

Smash Legend
Speed isn't that big of a deal. Little Mac and Falcon are both significantly faster than us. We beat Mac for sure, and I'm pretty close to saying we have an advantage on Falcon. Trampoline does massive work.

As for the stolen fruit, yes, we need to be smart. Don't throw the fruits that are easy to catch without applying some pressure yourself. There's also getting the fruit in your hand so they can't pick it up after it's thrown.

All isn't lost if a fast character gets your fruit though. Another thing to consider when your fruit is stolen is that phantom fruit will automatically work, meaning you have a very easy way to cancel your dash in smashes and tilts. As long as they're holding the fruit, the worst punishes you can take are them throwing it (mission accomplished) or a special, which really isn't that big of a deal unless you're against Sonic.

To answer the OP, I say the most important thing about Pac-Man is being able to adapt to the situation and knowing what strategy or strategies each MU calls for. You also need to know your fruits inside and out + how they interact with your hydrant water, and how the hydrant water interacts with them.

Neutricity

Smash Apprentice
Well, that's why you shouldn't only use fruit. You should rely on them, but should the situation arise, you need to be able to fight without them. This isn't Villager we're talking about, knowing close-range and far away offense is vital when you're playing PAC-MAN, because you'll always be in one situation or the other.
You don't have to correct me. I was just saying. But for those that don't know, you idea is fresh knowledge to them.

@ BSP BSP , like I was telling @ Mochamico Mochamico , if you're opponent is a meanie he gets a lead on you then timing you out is a posibility. I play dudes with that play to win mentality and I wanna just let other pac's that do know.

Tell us some of your pac stories and favorite hydrant related set-ups :)

Last edited:

Megamon

Smash Cadet
I play w/o fruit a lot against people online. Feel like I have a greater understanding of his actual fighting game. Good thing about doing this is you can always switch up your playstyle in the middle of a match, and it can be so dramatic of a switch that your opponent can't adapt quick enough.

Last edited:

Neutricity

Smash Apprentice
You don't have to correct me. I was just saying. But for those that don't know, you idea is fresh knowledge to them.

@ BSP BSP , like I was telling @ Mochamico Mochamico , if you're opponent is a jerk like that and he gets a lead on you then timing you out is a posibility. I play dudes with that play to win mentality and I wanna just let other pac's that do know.
I play w/o fruit a lot against people online. Feel like I have a greater understanding of his actual fighting game. Good thing about doing this is you can always switch up your playstyle in the middle of a match, and it can be so dramatic of a switch that your opponent can't adapt quick enough.
Switching up the playstyle is one of my favorite things about him :)

LittleToys

Smash Cadet
Always be on the agressive, and use the orange as you pivot to catch em off guard

Neutricity

Smash Apprentice
Always be on the agressive, and use the orange as you pivot to catch em off guard
I actually just got back from a tournament. I bodied an Olimar and Fox by not being aggressive. And these were some player that were up there on my state's power ranking. But I love match ups where I can be over aggressive :)

ToxoT

Smash Apprentice
once you understand how to use all of pac's specials, you'll find it a lot easier to condition your opponent's approach. this i think is the most important thing with playing pacman, i hardly even notice it anymore but laying trampolines and throwing out aerials like fair and nair and covering the stage with projectiles makes the enemy unsure how to approach. but of course every one of our projectiles can be used against us, this is another important thing to know, don't commit to launching a hydrant after you lay it or using a fruit once you charge to it, keep your opponent guessing and try to bait them into shielding. baiting and conditioning applies to any character but with all the crap we can have flying around the stage chances are they're gonna mess up and be punished harder than anyone else.

Last edited:

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
Having fun wile simultaneously frustrating your opponent.

Last edited:

NimbusSpark

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NimbusSpark
In a serious manner, the most important thing for playing Pac-Man has to be adaption. You're playing as one of the most versatile characters in Smash 4, and most of the cast will literally become more difficult unless he shifts the game to his own hands (Although, characters like Sonic and Fox are significantly harder to beat due to their overall mobility and moveset preventing us from playing how we normally do against your bread-and-butter rushdown character, like Falcon or Diddy). It's how we thought that Rosa was our biggest counter until we gathered data and now, we think that she's not as bad as we originally thought.

On a more light-hearted turn, playing Pac is also about recognising the fact that you're playing the first truly recognised video game character. Send these new video game characters 'Pac'-ing.

ZeoLightning

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZeoLightning
3DS FC
5455-9919-4674
Making good landing decisions, ledge decisions, traps is key, but also knowing which fruit applies to which situation. most important imo is patiance

Neutricity

Smash Apprentice
In a serious manner, the most important thing for playing Pac-Man has to be adaption. You're playing as one of the most versatile characters in Smash 4, and most of the cast will literally become more difficult unless he shifts the game to his own hands (Although, characters like Sonic and Fox are significantly harder to beat due to their overall mobility and moveset preventing us from playing how we normally do against your bread-and-butter rushdown character, like Falcon or Diddy). It's how we thought that Rosa was our biggest counter until we gathered data and now, we think that she's not as bad as we originally thought.
On a more light-hearted turn, playing Pac is also about recognising the fact that you're playing the first truly recognised video game character. Send these new video game characters 'Pac'-ing.
I agree with you totally. Pac-Man is so versatile in how he's played. I don't think too many Pac-Man Players have the game play or do the same options.

LittleToys

Smash Cadet
I agree with you totally. Pac-Man is so versatile in how he's played. I don't think too many Pac-Man Players have the game play or do the same options.
Most of the Pac-Men i run into usually have a campy playstyle and i understand its a thing to stay safe and all i feel like a douche if i play like that

Neutricity

Smash Apprentice
Most of the Pac-Men i run into usually have a campy playstyle and i understand its a thing to stay safe and all i feel like a douche if i play like that
Some go in and some don't. As long as you're picking safe options then you're on point

ZeoLightning

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZeoLightning
3DS FC
5455-9919-4674
alot of times i wish Down air could spike, that would be dope and make Pac-Man REALLY good at edge guarding. However Down air beats spot dodge and Power shields so its a good option if you notice your opponent doing that alot I think something people need to get better with is mix ups with Side B.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAeADNmt05U

this video shows how could you can be at it.

It's also important to punish landing, Pac-Man has moves that can from a distance or up close

Last edited:

Neutricity

Smash Apprentice
alot of times i wish Down air could spike, that would be dope and make Pac-Man REALLY good at edge guarding. However Down air beats spot dodge and Power shields so its a good option if you notice your opponent doing that alot I think something people need to get better with is mix ups with Side B.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAeADNmt05U

this video shows how could you can be at it.

It's also important to punish landing, Pac-Man has moves that can from a distance or up close
Hahaha this video is great. I remember my first time seeing it XD.
The side b tricks were just the greatest but some of those other tricks work on For Glory opponents lol
Example: What is that Ness even doing at 1:05?

Goggalor

Smash Cadet
I'm surprised nobody has said Z-Dropping. I'd imagine it's something that any Smash player can utilize, but not as much as Pac-Man. Pac-Man already has a powerful tool in his Bonus Fruit, specifically in the fact that they all have entirely different properties. The greatest thing is that every one of the fruit, with the exception of the Bell, retains their property while they are Z-Dropped.

My current fruit obsession is the Melon because of this. Being able to Z-Drop something that deals 12% with great knock-back and kill poewr is absolutely incredible. It's great for edgeguarding because of how it bounces, and it has closed some solid percent gaps that I'm not a big fan of. Obviously it's not something I'd suggest doing constantly through the match since your opponent could easily use it against you, I'll throw my melon away quite often to make sure my opponent doesn't get it.

Top Bottom