• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Do you Get out of Winning?

Tojiro2

Smash Rookie
First I'll start off by saying YES I GET MAD SOMETIMES AT THIS GAME THEN GIVE UP AND GIVE FREE WINS OVER AND OVER.

Now that I've said that,

What do you guys get out of easy wins? Like whats the point, because when i get salty as hell and put myself on random then basically just kinda play around to ease my nerves, the same guy stays for all those matches for the free wins, but why? Isnt the point of playing smash online (for glory) to improve yourself, like fighting people who are as good as you so you can learn how to do things and deal with different characters. What does a battle record online do for you? It's not like its a tourney or anything, its literally just record of your last matches that basically only you could care about.

KRBAY

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SSBBSonic
3DS FC
0774-4477-0228
On 3DS, it made me happy somehow, knowing that the next player I would play will totally pwn me.

Though these days, I usually don't do that, and will quit after one or two of those types of matches.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
Why do you stay in said matches against said people? You can leave anytime and hope that the game pairs you with someone that is more on your skill level.

The thing is, most people play to win. And whenever people start winning a whole lot, they feel no need to leave a match.

Blablabug

Smash Cadet
It's not our fault if a guy in your case doesn't want to leave, he has the possibility to do it and he doesn't... We can in still hope that he will improve by playing against a better player than him and learn his mistakes.

Last edited:

stancosmos

Smash Journeyman
First I'll start off by saying YES I GET MAD SOMETIMES AT THIS GAME THEN GIVE UP AND GIVE FREE WINS OVER AND OVER.

Now that I've said that,

What do you guys get out of easy wins? Like whats the point, because when i get salty as hell and put myself on random then basically just kinda play around to ease my nerves, the same guy stays for all those matches for the free wins, but why? Isnt the point of playing smash online (for glory) to improve yourself, like fighting people who are as good as you so you can learn how to do things and deal with different characters. What does a battle record online do for you? It's not like its a tourney or anything, its literally just record of your last matches that basically only you could care about.
practice is practice. As long as a player isn't awful there is something to be gained from playing him. Personally if i find a player to be worse than me and he keeps playing games, I'll use that time to train my secondaries. It has nothing to do with Win/Loss ratio. I never back out of games when i'm losing too much, I actually stay as long as possible because it so much more beneficial for me to lose against a high level player than to avoid playing against high level players.

Tojiro2

Smash Rookie
Why do you stay in said matches against said people? You can leave anytime and hope that the game pairs you with someone that is more on your skill level.

The thing is, most people play to win. And whenever people start winning a whole lot, they feel no need to leave a match.
Play to win for what though? What are they proving or what are they gaining out of this?

And i dont consider myself to be bad, but if im going against links or DhD's who roll across stage and spam i dont tend to put foward much effort (and theres a lot of these people online that i get matched with)

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
Play to win for what though? What are they proving or what are they gaining out of this?

And i dont consider myself to be bad, but if im going against links or DhD's who roll across stage and spam i dont tend to put foward much effort (and theres a lot of these people online that i get matched with)
It doesn't matter what someone's motives are. If someone is winning, they are naturally inclined to keep playing, since winning makes people feel good. They do not feel pressured into leaving a match.

Blablabug

Smash Cadet
Even when you can tell the other person isnt trying at all? (or is just bad in general)
Hitting things in videogames always feels good, of course it's boring if the foe is killing himself though...

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I know this is an unhealthy mindset, but my win percentage gives me a feeling of self-worth when it rises. Like maybe I'm not that much the scum of the Earth.

I am a very unhealthy and unstable individual with debilitating issues with depression and stress. Being regularly creamed doesn't help with that, especially since competitive Smash 4 was my final gambit at finally getting some relief.

I'm desperate and hopeless, that's what I'm saying.

Tyketto

Smash Cadet
I don't enjoy easy wins. I have the most fun playing against evenly matched opponents. With that in mind, I have a little system I go by when playing For Glory:

-If I 2 stock an opponent and barely take any damage, I tend to think I outmatch them, so I'll leave and find a new opponent.

-If the opponent 2 stocks me and barely takes any damage, I tend to think they outmatch me, so I'll leave and find a new opponent.

-If I play a match and we get each other down to 1 stock, I tend to think it's a even match. From there, I like to do a Best of 3 system. I beat them twice in a row, GG, new opponent. They beat me twice in a row, GG, new opponent. Or, they win one, I win one, they win one, GG, new opponent, etc. etc.

I should also note that I rarely switch out characters in a given For Glory session. I tend to enter with the intention of playing one particular character for that session. In other words, if I'm doing my Best of 3, I wont swap to another character.

Last edited:

PCHU

Smash Lord
I get little joy out of easy wins, and not much out of tedious matches.
The most fun I have is when I fight someone with an actually solid style that doesn't rely on a wall of projectiles to do half the work for them; they're few and far between.

What do I get out of winning in general?
I dunno; I just kinda play it to play nowadays.

Tojiro2

Smash Rookie
The most fun I have is when I fight someone with an actually solid style that doesn't rely on a wall of projectiles to do half the work for them; they're few and far between.
I Agree with this, but this is normally why i get to the point of "i dont effing care anymore" because i fight people who either spam projectiles, or if i'm owning them and fall off by misclick or (BNF) they start taunting like they did well and it annoys me to hell, so i just set myself to random and mess around. But so many people spam projectiles i just can never find intense/fun battles anymore

JNET

Smash Cadet
NNID
Traeks
I don't get anything out of 'easy wins'. That said I'll stay a few rounds at least after pummeling someone to give them the benefit of the doubt (might be bad luck, MU, or w/e). If I don't see modest improvement out of 2-3 games, I'll leave, but more often then not they'll rage out after game two anyways if they really are 'that bad'.

As much as a lot of us like to always play people 'better then us' or 'as good' (I am this way), I think its good to remember we all learn from someone who comes in and stomps our face in a little. That is partly why I stay for a few games as well. While I might not be getting much of anything from the match, my opponent might be. I always hate when I finally find that person better then me, and I get pumped for the next match and they leave after the first game.. Or that guy who switches to his 'main' after you stomp his 'alts' and *wows* you for a match, and makes you want to go hard main vs. main.. but leaves instantly after they win. I never really get that.

That said, I think most of us have had some absolute SALT times, where destroying some random has made us feel better about ourselves and calm down. Lol

Last edited:

Ryuji

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ryuji777x
3DS FC
0044-3176-2969
I usually leave 1v1 matches after I win. For me, it's a matter of what I didn't get out of match. If I'm not satisfied, I have to find someone that will satisfy me. Sorry, but I like fighting against people who can give me good matches, no matter the character.

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
Isnt the point of playing smash online (for glory) to improve yourself, like fighting people who are as good as you so you can learn how to do things and deal with different characters.
The point of online is to play wifi randoms because you have no IRL partners. Encountering competent and skilled players to increase your own performance is just an added perk.
There's no need for the winning player to quit because his opponent is bad. In the end, the experience is benefiting both players: the loser can learn from their failures and the winner gets a slight bit of MU experience with a non-AI.

Top Bottom