• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

what do you do with someone who stays on the edge all day?

red stone

Smash Ace
I have a friend who, once they have a lead, will stay on the edge all day just continuously refreshing the invincibility. If I approach, they will hit me and I can't get a hit in because of their invincibility. If I try to steal the ledge, I usually get hit. It's very high risk to try to get the ledge.

My strategy is usually to call them a coward until they get up, but what is the real strategy against someone who knows how to stall for days on end?

Bones0

Smash Legend
Watch Dr. PP vs. Mew2king. In almost all of their sets there are points where M2K stays on the ledge for a little, and PP does a great job of dealing with it. The main things I would recommend are:

1. Stay patient. Simply waiting a little makes you less predictable. If you always wait 2-3 seconds and then go for the ledge, it makes it super easy for him to LH and smack you away. You have the advantage, so just take your time and be as safe as possible.

2. Watch their patterns. People who regrab the ledge will have a pattern of some sort. They may mix up their timings, but ultimately there isn't a single timing that they can always use. They have to adjust when they regrab for invinc based on where you are. Once you know how they will react to a certain movement that you do, you can abuse it by baiting an attack and hitting them or making them feel safe about regrabbing and then WD onto the ledge before them.

3. Use your shield. Shielding is the best and simplest bait you can do when they are just LHing attacks every time you get close. If it's Sheik, for example, you simply WD towards her, she reacts by LH fairing, and then you just bair OoS. If they know you will shield and just try to regrab, that would be your chance to grab the ledge. Again, don't feel like you have to do this right away. Simply staying close to them when they're on the ledge puts on a lot of pressure even if you can't tell by their actions. They have to maintain constant concentration in order to stay on the ledge, and they are bound to be baited or fail to attack at the proper time eventually.

red stone

Smash Ace
we are talking about against a marth and a sheik that can teleport stall.

I like the ideas bones. wavedashing backwards into them with my sheild up is a great idea for pressure. plus I'm already facing the right way to steal the ledge and set up for oos bair or nair.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
You can always turn your back to them, short hop, then waveland backwards to grab the edge. Once they catch on to that and start attacking from the ledge or whatever just wait and own them.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Practice the art of picking up your controller really fast.

Then put your controller on the ground when they start to s0ft.

With your superior meta-tactic under your belt you will easily bait the opponent to stop waiting on the ledge and try to come and get you.

Geenareeno

Smash Lord
Someone want to explain the inputs for PC turnaround? I can't remember what it looks like so it might be super simple, I just don't know.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
dash->wd->PC turnaround->fastfall

Its much easier for some characters than others (as Marth its fantastic), but its viable for most of the cast.
Apparently, Peach can do this, too (timing is super tight, though). It blew my mind.

gm jack

Smash Lord
Steal the ledge from them.

If you are on low percents, you can just cc their ledge hop attack.

Or as others have said, learn the timing of the wd to the ledge between sheiks explosions. Realising when people can't do it is a major relief to me as a sheik, so don't be lazy and give them an easier time.

Top Bottom