• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

what did i miss that everyone is saying this game is 1080p?

itsaxelol

Smash Ace
60 fps is a given on the wii u. but he went out of his way in the direct to mention it was 60 fps on the gameboy, which really is an impressive feat. no information was given on the resolution of the wii u version. and 1080 in a game like this is incredible. yet he never mentioned it

over in the "is 1080/60 a good choice" thread, everyone is making it seem as if 1080 is confirmed? why? i get some screenshot are 1080p res, but that can just be upscaled like every xbox1 and ps3/4 game that has those screenshots and then runs 720p. is there any other reason people are claiming its 1080p?

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
I believe Eurogamer and other sites confirmed it to be native 1080p, and the screenshots so far have been shot at said resolution. Apparently, screenshots of other Wii U games have only been at 720p, which is why this game's presumably 1080p.

Plus, the graphics technically don't look good compared to other Wii U games, so they're presumably sacrificed in order to achieve native 1080p. If Sakurai is ambitious enough to do 60 FPS with 3D enabled on the 3DS, then I'm pretty sure this will be at full resolution and solid 60 FPS, too.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
I was really tempted to not respond seriously when you called the 3DS a gameboy. But yes, as ^ he said, a few outlets have confirmed it as 1080p

KingBroly

Smash Lord
Nintendo sent out 1 native, uncompressed 1080p screen at E3 last year featuring Bowser and Wii Fit Trainer. The game has no AA, though. I don't know how they're doing it, though.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Yeah, I was surprised that the ports from last gen are native 1080p as well and run at 60fps, including COD Black Ops, Assassins Creed 3, and Monster Hunter 3 U. So its not that surprising that it can handle graphics from Smash Bros and Rayman Legends.
Anyone know why Mario 3D world and Tropical Freeze are 720p? XD

I only play games on the gamepad screen so 1080p is overkill.

Last edited:

itsaxelol

Smash Ace
none of this seems like confirmation

and yea i wrote this in a rush, i always call nintendo handhelds gameboys. old habbits

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
none of this seems like confirmation

and yea i wrote this in a rush, i always call nintendo handhelds gameboys. old habbits
I can understand you're disbelief in the wii u's power, as nintendo games so far haven't really pushed the graphics, and mario 3d world and tropical freeze run at 720p, although I think that that might have something to do with the second screen on the gamepad.
But I mean the next smash isn't really doing anything gameplay-wise that the gamecube couldn't do, and the graphics aren't that much of a jump from brawl.
It's been confirmed for 1080p http://mynintendonews.com/2013/06/12/super-smash-bros-wii-u-runs-at-1080p/
although not sure if native 1080p.
There are a few other games on wii u running 1080p 60fps.
I feel that they shouldn't really try to push for 1080p and just make sure the game is lag free.

Also I call 3DSs gameboys as well.

Last edited:

itsaxelol

Smash Ace
i wish there was a direct quote. its still seems odd to me that he would go out of his way to tout 60fps on handheld and then not mention 1080p on wii

regardless, thanks, i hope its true. this game is going to be breathtaking on 50+ inch sammys and sonys if this is the case

Ta1nted_4ngel29

Smash Ace
NNID
Ta1nted_4ngel29
The Wii U can handle 60fps at 1080p no problem because it's ahead of the PS3/360 in power but still comes up short to PS4/XBone in the same aspects. Also have to factor in that it's simultaneously sending the same images on the tv to the pad at 480p with no lag between the two.

That's still pretty powerful.

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
The Wii U can handle 60fps at 1080p no problem because it's ahead of the PS3/360 in power but still comes up short to PS4/XBone in the same aspects. Also have to factor in that it's simultaneously sending the same images on the tv to the pad at 480p with no lag between the two.

That's still pretty powerful.
Exactly. Have you seen Mario Kart 8? That's 60FPS in 1080 with no issues at ALL. And it has a LOT more to process than smash brothers. I think Sm4sh is going to look better than it currently is shown off as. The game is still in development, and has until November before release.

There were several things wrong I saw in the screenshots released to the press. Sheiks fingers were on backwards in several of her images. What we're seeing was probably taken months in advance and doesn't properly reflect how the game currently looks.

itsaxelol

Smash Ace
im not saying wii u can't do it. its just you can count the amount of huge games that are 1080/60 on one hand. and sakurai still hasn't mentioned it being 1080p. thats just something you announce

and mario kart does have its issues, it drops to 30fps in multiplayer

skstylez

Smash Journeyman
Exactly. Have you seen Mario Kart 8? That's 60FPS in 1080 with no issues at ALL. And it has a LOT more to process than smash brothers. I think Sm4sh is going to look better than it currently is shown off as. The game is still in development, and has until November before release.

There were several things wrong I saw in the screenshots released to the press. Sheiks fingers were on backwards in several of her images. What we're seeing was probably taken months in advance and doesn't properly reflect how the game currently looks.
MK8 isn't confirmed 1080p native. 1080p really isn't very important. 60 fps is priority in these games, and then beauty. And a detailed 720p 60fps often looks better than a shallow 1080p game

aBBYS

Smash Journeyman
Well, truth to be told, there's no Nintendo source, as far as I know, which has confirmed this game to be 1080p. We all trust what Eurogamer said back then, plus is makes sense because all screenshots are 1080 and Nintendo usually don't do bullshots. If a game is 720, which is the most common on Wii U, they send out 720 screenshots.

Additionally, as people have already mentioned, the technical quality of the graphics in Smash isn't that impressive if you compare to MK8, leading people to believe there's a reason for the totally flat lightning on the characters in Smash, and other missing effects.

QuickRat

Smash Journeyman
I believe the game is 720p @ 60 fps. In fact, what I see in that 1920 x 1080 px images is 1280 x 720 px re-scaled images. I remember, when Super Mario Galaxy was about to be launched, Nintendo sent lots of infinite AA, 720p images. Same situation with Disaster: Day of Crisis and some other games.

Apart from the poor and awful textures, look at Yoshi's tongue. Man, it's jaggies party or something... And please, for your health, do not look at the point in which Yoshi's green noise touches his white mouth...

aBBYS

Smash Journeyman
Well, we'll have to see for 100 % confirmation. But I'll be really disappointed if this is 720 with these graphics. The models have barely any more polygons than the Wii models.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731

Apart from the poor and awful textures, look at Yoshi's tongue. Man, it's jaggies party or something... And please, for your health, do not look at the point in which Yoshi's green noise touches his white mouth...
Yeah, both Yoshi and Diddy look a bit rough in those images. If it's a case like this it may be best if the game isn't native 1080.

Also what's the issue with calling a 3DS a gameboy? I just don't get the problem at all, gameboy's just a more general term.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Some models look better then others.

Mega Man and Rosalina>>>>>>>>A lot of the roster

Sheik, Toon Link, and Link>>>>>>>Zelda

Substitute doll>>>>>>everything.

Last edited:

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
Substitute doll>>>>>>everything.
I think someone had a little too much Sake one night.

"MEWTWO? WHAT ARE YOU DOIN' IN THERE YOU CRAZY *******. REMOVE HIM, PUT IN GRENINJA, PUT ALL OF OUR RESOURCES INTO THE SUBSTITUTE DOLL."

aBBYS

Smash Journeyman
lol, I almost want to say the model for the substitute doll is better than Greninja's.
Polygon-wise, the substitute doll is not that good. What makes it look so good is the super smooth lightings/shadows on it, plus the simple but sharp textures.

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
im not saying wii u can't do it. its just you can count the amount of huge games that are 1080/60 on one hand. and sakurai still hasn't mentioned it being 1080p. thats just something you announce

and mario kart does have its issues, it drops to 30fps in multiplayer
Mario Kart 8's multiplayer is confirmed to run at 60 FPS on two-player split screen but 30 FPS on three-to-four-player modes. That's a relatively significant jump where the previous Mario Kart games could only do 30 FPS on two-player split screens.

Yeah, I was surprised that the ports from last gen are native 1080p as well and run at 60fps, including COD Black Ops, Assassins Creed 3, and Monster Hunter 3 U. So its not that surprising that it can handle graphics from Smash Bros and Rayman Legends.
Anyone know why Mario 3D world and Tropical Freeze are 720p? XD

I only play games on the gamepad screen so 1080p is overkill.
Actually, Call of Duty: Black Ops II runs at sub-HD at 60 FPS and Assassin's Creed III and IV run at 720p at 30 FPS. Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate runs at native 1080p at an average of 38 FPS. While the power of the system mostly plays a role on the resolution, some games are chosen to run at a certain resolution partly due to game budget. Perhaps Nintendo didn't want to spend too much resources on Super Mario 3D World and Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze in order to release them as soon as possible, which is why they're 720p 60 FPS.

For future reference, here are some of the Wii U games that run at a certain native resolution and frame rate. I must also note that most first-party titles run at native 720, but can output upscaled 1080p.

720p
Nintendo Land - 720p | 60 FPS
New Super Mario Bros. U
- 720p | 60 FPS
Super Mario 3D World - 720p | 60 FPS
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - 720p | 60 FPS
Sonic Lost World - 720p | 60 FPS
The Wonderful 101 - 720p | 30-60 FPS
Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge - 720p | 30-60 FPS
Pikmin 3 - 720p | 30 FPS
ZombiU - 720p | 30 FPS
Assassin's Creed III - 720p | 30 FPS
Batman: Arkham City - Armored Edition - 720p | 30 FPS
Need for Speed Most Wanted U - 704p | 30 FPS
Call of Duty: Black Ops II - 640p | 60 FPS

1080p
Rayman Legends - 1080p | 60 FPS
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD - 1080p | 30 FPS
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate - 1080p | 30-60 FPS

TBD
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U - 1080p | 60 FPS
Mario Kart 8 - 720p | 60 FPS
Bayonetta 2 - 720p | 60 FPS
New title developed by MONOLITH SOFTWARE INC. - 720p | 30 FPS

aBBYS

Smash Journeyman
Mario Kart 8's multiplayer is confirmed to run at 60 FPS on two-player split screen but 30 FPS on three-to-four-player modes. That's a relatively significant jump where the previous Mario Kart games could only do 30 FPS on two-player split screens.

Actually, Call of Duty: Black Ops II runs at sub-HD at 60 FPS and Assassin's Creed III and IV run at 720p at 30 FPS. Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate runs at native 1080p at an average of 38 FPS. While the power of the system mostly plays a role on the resolution, some games are chosen to run at a certain resolution partly due to game budget. Perhaps Nintendo didn't want to spend too much resources on Super Mario 3D World and Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze in order to release them as soon as possible, which is why they're 720p 60 FPS.

For future reference, here are some of the Wii U games that run at a certain native resolution and frame rate. I must also note that most first-party titles run at native 720, but can output upscaled 1080p.

720p
Nintendo Land - 720p | 60 FPS
New Super Mario Bros. U - 720p | 60 FPS
Super Mario 3D World - 720p | 60 FPS
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - 720p | 60 FPS
Sonic Lost World - 720p | 60 FPS
The Wonderful 101 - 720p | 30-60 FPS
Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge - 720p | 30-60 FPS
Pikmin 3 - 720p | 30 FPS
ZombiU - 720p | 30 FPS
Assassin's Creed III - 720p | 30 FPS
Batman: Arkham City - Armored Edition - 720p | 30 FPS
Need for Speed Most Wanted U - 704p | 30 FPS
Call of Duty: Black Ops II - 640p | 60 FPS

1080p
Rayman Legends - 1080p | 60 FPS
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD - 1080p | 30 FPS
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate - 1080p | 30-60 FPS

TBD
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U - 1080p | 60 FPS
Mario Kart 8 - 720p | 60 FPS
Bayonetta 2 - 720p | 60 FPS
New title developed by MONOLITH SOFTWARE INC. - 720p | 30 FPS
What is "640p"? Can developers really choose any resolution they want like that?

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
What is "640p"? Can developers really choose any resolution they want like that?
It's a sub-HD resolution that's basically 880x720p, but I really don't know why it's called "640p" for some. I think Treyarch/Activision has said that they chose this resolution to achieve 60 FPS by just cutting the width of the resolution.

aBBYS

Smash Journeyman
It's a sub-HD resolution that's basically 880x720p, but I really don't know why it's called "640p" for some. I think Treyarch/Activision has said that they chose this resolution to achieve 60 FPS by just cutting the width of the resolution.
OK... so if I understand this correctly, they don't lower the resolution, but the decrease the screen size? Like small, black borders?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
OK... so if I understand this correctly, they don't lower the resolution, but the decrease the screen size? Like small, black borders?
No, they just upscale the resolution. There are no black borders when playing on these custom resolutions on consoles.

Katy Parry

NNID
justysuxx
MK8 isn't confirmed 1080p native. 1080p really isn't very important. 60 fps is priority in these games, and then beauty. And a detailed 720p 60fps often looks better than a shallow 1080p game
http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/...meplay-new-characters-courses-items-revealed/

The upside? The game is spectacular, at 1080p, 60FPS. As the first HD Mario Kart, the game looks just stunning. Now, it does take a drop in this department when you come to three or four person multiplayer, dropping to 30FPS and with some graphical downsides, but none of these will affect gameplay.

The game's visuals are beautiful, 1080p and 60fps even in two-player split-screen

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...rio-kart-8-retro-tracks-compared-to-originals
---
That's just one of many websites that state Mario Kart runs in 1080p native.

Last edited:

aBBYS

Smash Journeyman
http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/...meplay-new-characters-courses-items-revealed/

The upside? The game is spectacular, at 1080p, 60FPS. As the first HD Mario Kart, the game looks just stunning. Now, it does take a drop in this department when you come to three or four person multiplayer, dropping to 30FPS and with some graphical downsides, but none of these will affect gameplay.

The game's visuals are beautiful, 1080p and 60fps even in two-player split-screen

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...rio-kart-8-retro-tracks-compared-to-originals
---
That's just one of many websites that state Mario Kart runs in 1080p native.
But can we trust them? Some media said DKC Tropical Freeze was 1080o, too...

Katy Parry

NNID
justysuxx
But can we trust them? Some media said DKC Tropical Freeze was 1080o, too...
Well I think its safe to say Mario Kart (and Smash Bros) is Nintendo's triple A threat to sell systems. They're putting all of their efforts into the game, and therefore they're taking it seriously.

It does say the game takes a hit when playing 3 or more players, going to 30FPS, but that's with most racing games anyway. However, it stays at a native 1080p. Every article states this.

Here's a more in depth article.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/04/preview_mario_kart_8

QuickRat

Smash Journeyman
We won't know anything until a playable demo over E3. Then we will be able to say "oh my GOD, it's teneighty peeeeeeeee" or "whatta fack are those sevntwenie pee?". The only thing we can do now is analyzing those Flickr images, and they seem to have been up-scaled.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The amusing part about all of this is that if you're using an emulator for Wii titles, you could easily get a high quality .png screenshot with the proper settings.

[collapse=Examples]

[/collapse]

With the Wii U games, however, because of the way that Miiverse handles screenshot postings, you can't get a screenshot with a 1280x720 size (not even 1600x900). Add the fact that the Miiverse screenshots use the .jpg image format, and the screenshot quality drops even further.

Khao

Smash Lord
Still, watching that at full quality, makes me think it's not upscaled. Normally, it's very easy to catch 720p footage of games even in ****ty youtube videos because of stuff flickering in the background when the camera moves, I don't see any of that in here. Some screenshots had made me think it's 720, but looking at that video, I think it's at least higher than that.

Top Bottom