• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What dictates whether a buffered smash or roll happens?

MrWeavile

Smash Apprentice
I find every now and then when I try and buffer roll or spotdodge after a getup I would get the corresponding smash attack instead. Obviously this can cost stocks sometimes and is very frustrating. I was wondering, what determines whether you get a smash or a buffered roll/spotdodge?

Oldiz

Smash Apprentice
You can't buffer smash attacks, make sure you are holding in shield when using the c stick and you will roll.

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
EDIT: Ignore, I was tired lol

As I'm sure you realized, he's referring to getup attack. I've had this experience too - there are times where I intentionally miss tech and plan to wait a bit before rolling/standing/attacking (so I know to not touch any controls), but asap after landing, my character starts a getup roll or getup attack anyways. Never regular standing getup, which may or may not help. It's pretty annoying. My guess has been that either buffer windows for missed-tech getup options are unusually long, or...idk, bad buttons? I've used several controllers with such minor slants on the control stick that they aren't apparent at all through gameplay, but are enough to rotate the pause screen when left untouched in "neutral" position (and always returns to that slant if you attempt to keep it from rotating, by nudging/holding it at the actual position for the neutral input).

Last edited:

MrWeavile

Smash Apprentice
As I'm sure you realized, he's referring to getup attack. I've had this experience too - there are times where I intentionally miss tech and plan to wait a bit before rolling/standing/attacking (so I know to not touch any controls), but asap after landing, my character starts a getup roll or getup attack anyways. Never regular standing getup, which may or may not help. It's pretty annoying. My guess has been that either buffer windows for missed-tech getup options are unusually long, or...idk, bad buttons? I've used several controllers with such minor slants on the control stick that they aren't apparent at all through gameplay, but are enough to rotate the pause screen when left untouched in "neutral" position (and always returns to that slant if you attempt to keep it from rotating, by nudging/holding it at the actual position for the neutral input).
Actually this wasn't what I was talking about, haha. I know what you mean, but specifically it's when you do any sort of get up option, buffer a roll/spot-dodge/jump while doing so, but instead of getting it you get a smash attack.
I'm on my second controller and it's still happening every now and then so I don't think it's a problem with the pad. I just wanted to know the logistics of it so I could find a way of stopping it happening. It's irritating when you lose a stock because you read what they were going to do but instead of rolling/spot-dodging you just do a smash and they punish it.

Stride

Smash Ace
North-west England (near Manchester/Liverpool)
To buffer an out of shield option you have to be in shield for at least 1 frame. C-stick inputs takes priority over shield inputs when done on the same frame. Therefore, if you input a smash attack/out of shield option on the first actionable frame after lag, or on the same frame as the shield input when you're already in an actionable state, then you won't go into shield and will instead do a smash attack.

If you're buffering something from an actionable state (e.g. standing or walking), then delay your C-stick input slightly (at least 1 frame after your shield input). If you're buffering an action out of lag (e.g. in landing lag or during a move), then do that too, or start holding the C-stick earlier (on any frame other than the one immediately before you're actionable).

It's funny when this happens and what are supposed to be panic buffer rolls turn into successful "hard read" forward smashes and reverse the situation completely; though more often you do just get horribly punished for it.

Last edited:

tauKhan

Smash Lord
If you want to spotdodge immediately out of get up or hitstun etc. it's better to use control stick down instead of c-stick, since you don't have to enter shield that way. Spotdodge input is active for 4 frames with control stick, so it's not that hard to time. Rolling with control stick usually isn't faster though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom