• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What control scheme are you gonna use?

igloo9

Smash Apprentice
So, which of the four control schemes are you gonna use for Brawl?

Theres the Wii remote on its side.
The wii remote and nunchuk
The classic controller
And the gamecube controller

What are you gonna use?

I'm either gonna use the wii remote on its side, or the gamecube controller.

But I'm almost positive it will be the wii remote on its side. It seems easier.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
definetly the Gamecube scheme which always work best for me, i might try out the classic controller just for a SNES feeling, but the least and will hardly ever use will be the Wii+Nunchuck which I despise

Magic

Smash Apprentice
Classic Controller was far superior to sideways Wiimote at E4All. But I still think Gamecube will be the best overall.

Ekaru

Smash Apprentice
Either Classic or Gamecube. Depends on if they fix the sensitivity issue. If they don't, then I'll just use Gamecube, and switch A and X, because having jump on a central location = win for me. I just hated the control scheme in Melee... Ugh, was it annoying.

jc1sttwin

Smash Journeyman
GC controller

with the original controls from melee

i don't really want to do all that adjusting but i might to see if it's any better

ksadkiller

Smash Apprentice
im gonna try the wiimote nunckuck combo. just because you can hold ur hands far apart while playing. hahaha i dunno i guess i like comfort

Magic

Smash Apprentice
Either Classic or Gamecube. Depends on if they fix the sensitivity issue. If they don't, then I'll just use Gamecube, and switch A and X, because having jump on a central location = win for me. I just hated the control scheme in Melee... Ugh, was it annoying.
From how Sakurai worded it, it sounds like you can fully customize your controls. :)

But then...I think that's only for Wiimote ones, because the Gamecube controller doesn't have any memory I'm pretty sure..

SonicZeroX

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4425-1491-5645
From how Sakurai worded it, it sounds like you can fully customize your controls. :)

But then...I think that's only for Wiimote ones, because the Gamecube controller doesn't have any memory I'm pretty sure..
It saves the buttons configs with the nametag.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Gamecube Controller

then probably Wiimote with Nunchuck

then probably just the wiimote

Have no reason to get a CC

ZenJestr

Smash Lord
NNID
ZenJestr
3DS FC
4897-6268-7794
GameCube Controller
Wiimote wiff Nunchuck

'tis all I need to play so far...especially since I dont want to waste 20 bucks on a Classic Controller and find out it might be crap compared to the GC...

UsernameLink

Smash Journeyman
GameCube Controller
Wiimote with Nunchuck

why? When im doing 4 palyer i can use a gamecube controller, lets someone else use one, give the others the wii remote/nunchuck. All this means i dont spend more money, win win

tennisthehilife

Smash Lord
I have 4 wiimotes, 2 nunchucks, and 4 wired GCs. (2 are really not smash quality (buttons worn out, not responsive, control stick sticks/ I would buy 4 new ones if I could.)

-GCs: I would need a 8 foot extension cord to play neatly on my wii, wavebirds are too expensive

-wiimote sideways: hard to use, worried about wearing out the D-pad

-CC: not worth it, $20 and is very optional and is not super comfortable

My Choice:
Wiimote/Nunchuck Combo
-most games will use nunchucks so might as well have 4 total
-20 dollars each = same price as CC
-CC is kind of optional compared to Nunchucks
-Don't have to buy new GC controllers
-Seems pretty comfortable, maybe more than GCs, for sure better than wiimote sideways
-Cheap so I can replace the nunchucks only if the control sticks wear out.

KaosAssassin

Smash Apprentice
I will be using the wii-mote on it's side or with the nunchuck because that's what I have available to me and I'm not going to buy a gc controller just to have a better advantage in a game and once I get used to one control scheme I won't be able to switch because it will be weird for me

Maben

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty sure the GC controller will be the universally preferred method. I could get proved wrong in time though :lick:. I plan on using the GC controller myself, as far as customization goes:

-I may remove the jump ability of UP on the analog stick, would make tilts easier but it's hard to tell if I use it to jump more than I think.
-If you can set the L and R buttons seperately I may make the R button my grab button. I never really liked hitting the Z button (feels weird?) and I use L for shielding/rolling 100% of the time anyways.

shadepaw

Smash Apprentice
I'd use the GC controller, sine it's the one I'm mos used to. As far as controls, I'd take the jump from pushing UP as well, it's too awkward.

Muffin_man

Smash Journeyman
I'll try all of them, but I'm becoming more and more paranoid about how great the Wiimote on its own is.

Musica Amante

Smash Apprentice
I'm going to plug in the ol' Gamecube controller when I first give the game a go.

But I'm actually looking forward to the Nunchuck-Remote combo, I have a little custom setup planned out in my mind and I'm really wanting to try it out.

Heegu

Smash Apprentice
Cube when i'm playing alone/online and mote+nunchuck as additional controllers when playing with friends.

ZenJestr

Smash Lord
NNID
ZenJestr
3DS FC
4897-6268-7794
I dont think anyone is ruling out any control scheme...we are merely guessing which control scheme we are most likely to use...someone may say GC controller but end up using the Wiimote on its side the most....just our own little speculation...thats all...

I for one am guessing Im gunna use GC more not only because Im used to it...but because I dont wanna keep getting batteries...

miller483

Smash Ace
I'm gonna try out the Wiichuck combo. I think the control scheme will be something like this:

Nunchuk
Control Stick: Move (tap to dash)
C button: Jump
Z button: shield

Wiimote

A button: basic attacks
B button: special attacks
- Button: quick grab
+ button: pause
Control Pad: taunts
1 button: quick smashes
2 button: not sure at the moment

Wii enthusiast

Smash Cadet
please no one call me a smash n00b right now but I have i have only played smash a few times so i really don't know that much. But...
I have recently borrowed melee from my friend for a weekend and I have to say that the gamecube controller is so easy to use. Seriously in like 2 or 3 hours I already was pwning like the best characters set to level 9 in versus mode.
I know that playing against another human is a lot harder but in 2 hours That is f***ing awesome.
Well yeah it definitely has a better learning curve to it.
the wii mote looks stupid because you have to press up on the d-pad to jump
when i play melee i never do that and i only press the x and y buttons
it is so much easier
the other combinations just look stupid

Invader_JDGir

Smash Rookie
i don't own a classic controller, i want a change from the gc controller, and the wiimote on it's side looks a little hard, so i will most likely use the nunchuck and wiimote.

Tobi-

Smash Ace
Well maybe when I get some money to purchase a classic controller I will test it out. But I really see no point in changing if I'm doing perfect with the GC controller.

kinghippo99

Smash Lord
Wiimote on side=fail
wiimote+nunchuck=fail
classic controller=semi-fail
GC controller=epic win
thread CLOSED!!! do not argue against my verdict

I

i8waffles612

Since its not coming out before X-mas, for X-mas im gonna be getting a classic controller and a GC controller, so then i can have all 4 types <3 . I will probably play with all for types.

SirroMinus1

SiNiStEr MiNiStEr
NNID
Ajarudaru
So, which of the four control schemes are you gonna use for Brawl?

Theres the Wii remote on its side.
The wii remote and nunchuk
The classic controller
And the gamecube controller

What are you gonna use?

I'm either gonna use the wii remote on its side, or the gamecube controller.

But I'm almost positive it will be the wii remote on its side. It seems easier.
now i see why mic_128 hate the brawl discussion fourms. im gettimg pretty annoyed myself seeing this 1 topic over and over

Wyvern

Smash Journeyman
I was considering trying out the Classic Controller at one point, but its size and shape are just such that it doesn't quite fit comfortably in my hand. Mainly that the control stick is too far away. Plus, it sounds like it currently is suffering from sensitivity issues anyway, based on what I've heard from the E for All attendees.

So, I'm sure I'll stick with the Gamecube controller with slightly modified controls. I'd love for the C-stick to be tilts instead of smashes, and I'm sure I could figure out something useful to bind to the X and R buttons.

Top Bottom