• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What characters have priority?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
The character selection in Smash Bros Works like this: Sakurai gets a list of characters and cuts them down over time to fit development schedules. I think there's a few basic tiers from most to least important.

1. Third Party Characters: The only category they'll delay the game for. Understandable given the licencing involved.
2. Iconic Veterans: Mario, Link & crew. If they're not in it's not a Nintendo all star game.
3. Complete Newcomers: Characters that are new and have stand-alone movesets
4. Low-Priority Vets: Alas Mewtwo and Roy, at least you had more data hidden in Brawl's files than the ones below.
5. New Clones: Looking at Brawl's files it seems that Toon Zelda/Sheik was cut along with Dixie and one that is peculated to be Plusle/Minum.

The question is who fits into what category (except the third parties that's obvious.)

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Every one of Sakurai's four criteria are totally open to interpretation by Sakurai alone. Thus, the Sakurai variable is absolutely paramount in which characters have priority. That said, because we have no way of knowing how he feels about any character save for a very select few, all potential newcomers are essentially on the same starting ground for speculative purposes. From there, based on what we've seen in past games, a combination of character importance and character popularity boosts some characters to higher ground than others, putting them in a better position to be at least considered by Sakurai, if not outright added. But as the man likes to say, "I decide what goes into the game. No one else."

Morbi

Scavenger
With questionable choices like Toon Zelda on his priority list... I have no idea what characters have priority. This time around I assume veterans will have the highest priority (unfortunately).

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
With questionable choices like Toon Zelda on his priority list... I have no idea what characters have priority. This time around I assume veterans will have the highest priority (unfortunately).

After the backlash he received from Japan about Mewtwo and Roy getting cut being their biggest complaint about Brawl I can't exactly blame the man.

It's a shame though since newcomers are what gets Smash Veterans(players) excited. Smash Veterans(characters) ironically less so. I know Marth's inevitable return didn't exactly hype me for a new Smash game.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
So here's what we know so far

1. Mega Man, Sonic
2. Everyone unless otherwise stated
3. Villager, WFT, most other newcomers I hope.
4. The usual suspects (Ike, Wolf, Lucario, Ness/Lucas)
5. I don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom