• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

what character is good against lucas?

GofG

Smash Champion
There are several characters that are good against him, depending on what stage. If you are looking for an easy Lucas counter, Metaknight is your bet.

By the way, this was NOT worth posting a new thread.

Manu

Smash Cadet
meh, i feel like he might as well ask. The lucas forum is generally full of rapid fanboys so to have a Lucas hater is a nice change of pace /tease

Though really in my experience Diddy Kong is a monster. Lucas is already a trip magnet (I swear he trips the most) and with the peels and Diddy's ability to punish missed smash attacks I would put that monkey at the top. I fear space animals might tear him apart but have yet to find a decent one.

GofG

Smash Champion
I've had almost no trouble with every diddy i've played... Know any good Diddies? I'm interested now.

kyle?!

Smash Cadet
I had an interesting match against one of my friends' Lucario. I'd say he has potential to be a good Lucas counter character.

kyle?!

Smash Cadet
I hadn't. But I just watched one of his tourney vids on youtube against Wolf. He definitely has a solid Lucario.

Manu

Smash Cadet
I've had almost no trouble with every diddy i've played... Know any good Diddies? I'm interested now.
Only in Seattle, and I doubt you'd enjoy the match over wifi. I tried it here with a friend who lives a mile away and it was terrible.

PK Starstorm

Smash Journeyman
In lucas' basement paying rent in doggy treats for
Zelda is pretty good too. that din's fire recovers alot of his life with psi magnet, but when he's trying to recover with pk thunder, it is very annoying. the explosion is also a bit unpredictable and has good range. I hate fighting her with my lucas. Good lord is she strong.

TechnoMonster

Smash Ace
Sonic is effective as well, a good one is too unpredictable to plant your kicks and smash attacks are very ineffective.

onlymaskde

Smash Lord
Toon Link is probably the character I have the most trouble with.

I've played some really good Zeldas, but I haven't had big problems with her. A Lucas player with good reflexes can use PSI Magnet to rid of the annoyance of her side B and dodge away from quick smashes. Other than that, I don't have any other annoyances from her.

Levitas

the moon
Honestly, I think that Peach is a solid choice against Lucas.

She has something nobody else has that gets around his fire: Floating.

If someone thought of some brilliant strat. that'll 0-death her, that's cool, but until then, she's got the approach angle on lucas.

I don't know if you guys have noticed, but Lucas has a hard time covering attacks from diagonally up in front of him. It's just noticable enough to bother me, but not enough to really hurt...

GofG

Smash Champion
No one else said metaknight?

LUCAS CANNOT EVEN HIT METAKNIGHT

He just has to sit there and spam his smashes and neutral-b when we shoot projectiles at him, and we can't touch him!

Levitas

the moon
Not true, PK fire hits through his tornado, and the waveland helps us avoid him.

you have to think though, because he's fast enough to short hop airdodge the bstick pk fire and run up and grab.

Broly

Smash Lord
Only prob i have is snake and olimar. diddy-not even, wolf can be but pk fire destroy him, zelda-wtf? shes good but one psi magnet of dins fire heals like crazy. falco is the toughest due to chaingrab from 0-40. olimar comes in second due to pikmin shields him from pk fire, n they hurt lucas. u can only edgeguard him easily. And snakes missles and c4 is tough to defend, plus his f-tilt is crazy strong. other than that, he can be beaten

shae_hawk

Smash Rookie
I agree that Peach is a good counter. She is annoying with her floating (you can usually hop fire her, but its slower) and her forward tilt. That kick is a monster, it out ranges a ton of Luke's moves and pops him up for some great juggling.
Seems like a solid matchup so far.

I'm interested in trying my Lucas out against others too, I'm in the Seattle/Bellevue area if anyone is interested in wifi or meet up.

Lord of the Flies

Smash Rookie
Counters...lol

First off I just want to make a bold statement here and say...no one counters Lucas.

Aside from that...the person I've had the most trouble with is Ike, just because Lucas is kind of light, and if Ike does happen to get off those smashes then boom...ouch. But other than one or two, fairly good Ikes, and bad timing on my part, good on theirs. I've had no consistant problem playing any of those characters you've mentioned.

Metaknight - ^smash kills his neutral B, usually kills him too...
Zelda - Lucas can shine with his Psi Magnet...yeah, no problems there.
Diddy - Shuffling fairs and nairs seem to take care of him rather quickly.
Snake - The Snake I usually play is fairly advanced, so I usually wait till he tries to drop me, place a sticky on my face...I roll dodge through him, to make it stick to him, then wait till he blows himself up, usually staying in the vicinity so I can air combo/^smash him. Just use PK fire to keep him far enough off, fair him if he tries to get back onto the ledge...
Marth - Use your spacing to gain advantage, wavebouncing the PK fire helps a lot. Or just throw out some running ^smashes, to get him in the air then use Bair to spike/repeat.
Peach - Wavebounce the PK fires, should keep her away, wavebouncing Psi magnet is good against her, because of the semi-shine attribute.
Toon Link - Watch for the Dair, hit him with a ^smash, shuffle nairs and uptilts to get him into position to try and dair, you'll have no real problem, unless they spam items. Just keep your distance and wait for an opening, Lucas can dodge fairly well.

All the others are either rather simple, or I haven't played them enough to develop a strat, though I haven't played anyone good out of the Wolfs, Olimars, Sonics, or Lucarios.

Keep distance from Luc and you'll be fine...

Lucas is one of the best characters in the game, don't bring him down with this counter talk...

~LOTF

Manu

Smash Cadet
Lucas is great but you do know that Snaks Nikita is unaffacted and can easily be used against Lucas. And with Lucas's ****ty grabs, close quarter fights goes to the person who can shield grab the best.

There is no shffling by the way, without L cancel you just have to hope you land properly and aren't too laggy which means either you fast fall and eat the lag or stay in the air and land when the attack is done. This means your shffl strat for diddy is flawed, he can easily shield grab Lucas on the approach. Wavebouce eats diddy's peanut gun and the banana peals hinder aerial approaches because you can't run away.

I'm not saying its an unwinnable matchup but if somebody can come with a surefire way to deal with diddy I'm all ears, cuz I don't have one.

Running Upsmash? Its a great move but the solution to all of your problems seems counterproductive. Marth especially, hell Toon Link have fsmashes that are quick and can easily punish that attack. Now if Lucas had Snakes, Wario or Squirtle's running up smash that would be a different story. What is the criteria for sliding, has anyone tried it with Lucas?

shae_hawk

Smash Rookie
Wavebouncing PK fire against Peach helps, but doesn't solve all of your problems. If the PK fire is shielded from Peach at the correct range, you are in lag of the fire longer than it takes her to running smash you. If the Peach player is patient and exploits your mistakes you are going to have a tough match.

Peach also is not as ledge guardable as other characters. Since she can float around she can kick your PK thunders that you send out and still recover nicely. Not trying to bring him down, just trying to get his weaknesses out on the table so we can come up with some fixes to his problems.

Top Bottom