• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Character Can Punish With Combo's The Most?

Lead Infidel

Smash Rookie
What I mean is what character can punish the most from one mistake by the other player. I am currently trying to learn Falco after playing a semi-competitive Marth but, I want to learn someone more technical to force me to really look at the game in a fresh way and not get stuck in my stale casual gameplay.

I look at Dr Pee Pee's Falco, Hax's Capt. Falcon, and Chillin's Fox and they all seem like they can combo almost from 0% to kill if they read the DI correctly. Are all of the top tier characters capable of 0 to kill with perfect DI reading? I mean true combo's where they are under hitstun and not just pseudo-combo's that use disjointed hitboxs.

Alexo30

Smash Journeyman
You should definitely look into Captain Falcon if you are looking for a hard punish game and a character that requires tech skill. You can get big punishes on rolls and reads. You can also punish hard on missed techs. Heck you can punish a lot with Captain Falcon.

Most of the top tiers can punish off of improper DI, yes.

P.S. most hitboxes in the game are pretty disjointed.

Smasher89

Smash Lord
Play ICs, figure out how you should pressure to get guarantied shieldbreaks or grabs>profit (note that that is really highlevel and not utilized, yet)

Lead Infidel

Smash Rookie
Captain Falcon is really intriguing to me, he went from being one of my worst to being semi-viable to viable after several days of practice probably playing 6+ hours a day. I think he is really fun to play and forces you to learn really good tech skill if you want to play well. I will take a look into ICs but, I wonder how much are they dependent on wobbling to be good because I see a lot of tournaments banning wobbling.

Alexo30

Smash Journeyman
Captain Falcon is really intriguing to me, he went from being one of my worst to being semi-viable to viable after several days of practice probably playing 6+ hours a day. I think he is really fun to play and forces you to learn really good tech skill if you want to play well. I will take a look into ICs but, I wonder how much are they dependent on wobbling to be good because I see a lot of tournaments banning wobbling.
Well you can take a look at the old school pro Chu Dat and even Fly Amanita. They are two IC players that dont wobble. They have had success.

Zodiac

Smash Master
It's Falco, everyone knows it's Falco, why is there any discussion at all?

WWGenesis

Smash Cadet
IC if you can get wobbling off for sure.

Otherwise, I find that characters like Peach or Marth have an incredible punish game as well.

Superspright

Smash Lord
Falco can flow chart you off the map with little interaction from the opponent after hit confirm aside from a few DI options. Captain Falcon is always chasing DI and rolls...I say Falco has it easier, and can definitely CAUSE more mistakes than CF ever could dream of.

hamyojo

Smash Ace
Captain Falcon combos the most?

actually i just wanted to use this gif

Bones0

Smash Legend
Falco can flow chart you off the map with little interaction from the opponent after hit confirm aside from a few DI options. Captain Falcon is always chasing DI and rolls...I say Falco has it easier, and can definitely CAUSE more mistakes than CF ever could dream of.
lol WUT... Falcon has autocombos out the wazoo. There's no doubt Falco can bust out some broken looking combos, but you rarely see straight 02ds, and when you do they are huge strings with lots of options being covered perfectly. I don't want to say Falcon's combos are easier because some aspects are easier while others are more difficult, but his combos last about half the length of Falco's. Falco dittos, you need to rack up the damage, get them by the ledge, knock them off, then edgeguard. Falcon vs. Falco only has to get a grab/knockdown, a couple guaranteed tech chases, then a stomp or two into knee/double uair.

These are vast generalizations, but if you just watch top Falcos and top Falcons, it's pretty obvious that Falcon's combos are shorter and sweeter on average, and that's not even addressing the fact that Falco's throw "combos" are a joke, and Falcon has combos on floaties that Falco can't match even under the best circumstances.

Superspright

Smash Lord
lol WUT... Falcon has autocombos out the wazoo. There's no doubt Falco can bust out some broken looking combos, but you rarely see straight 02ds, and when you do they are huge strings with lots of options being covered perfectly. I don't want to say Falcon's combos are easier because some aspects are easier while others are more difficult, but his combos last about half the length of Falco's. Falco dittos, you need to rack up the damage, get them by the ledge, knock them off, then edgeguard. Falcon vs. Falco only has to get a grab/knockdown, a couple guaranteed tech chases, then a stomp or two into knee/double uair.

These are vast generalizations, but if you just watch top Falcos and top Falcons, it's pretty obvious that Falcon's combos are shorter and sweeter on average, and that's not even addressing the fact that Falco's throw "combos" are a joke, and Falcon has combos on floaties that Falco can't match even under the best circumstances.
I suppose from one mistake CF could do more, but Falco can force mistakes again and again with his lasers.

Superspright

Smash Lord
He asked what characters can punish the most from a single mistake, not which characters can force the most mistakes.
I guess under those very strict conditions...but then you're supposing you don't need to interact with your opponent to get them to make mistakes. I still feel it's Falco. You won't see as many opportunities to punish your opponent as you will with Falco and you can actually make them make mistakes with Falco whereas with CF it's a lot harder to do that to a human. I mean theoretically Fox has the best punish after a mistake but it's not easy.

JKJ

Smash Ace
Lol if sheik only had to play fastfallers itd be her no questions asked. B***H has like 4 hit death combos.
Falco is probably best right now, but falcon isnt far behind once you techchase into a stomp. Good falco combos require at least one techchase or option coverage too though.

Bones0

Smash Legend
I guess under those very strict conditions...but then you're supposing you don't need to interact with your opponent to get them to make mistakes. I still feel it's Falco. You won't see as many opportunities to punish your opponent as you will with Falco and you can actually make them make mistakes with Falco whereas with CF it's a lot harder to do that to a human. I mean theoretically Fox has the best punish after a mistake but it's not easy.
What strict conditions? That's what he was asking. If someone asks who has the better punish game, I'm not sure why you would consider how good characters are at getting initial hits. Saying Falco gets more openings to punish is completely irrelevant to the question of how well he can combo. The idea that Fox has the best punish game is laughable to me, but whatever, it's not really worth arguing if you are trying to include a character's neutral game in a discussion about combo strength/deadliness.

JJTheJetPlane

Smash Cadet
In order to be good at your character you need to have mastered their punish game, regardless of who you are playing against. If you can turn an opponent's mistake into them losing a stock, it doesn't matter who you are playing as.

1MachGO

Smash Ace
You guys are looking at this the wrong way:

Falcon = best lateral combo game. Very consistent against floaties, poor at low %s vs. fast fallers.

Falco = best vertical and platform oriented combo game. Very consistent against fast to mid falling speed characters, has some short comings vs. floaties.

Other things worth mentioning...

Marth definitely doesn't have the best combo game overall, but if we are strictly talking combo-punish game, Marth's is the best at low to mid%s due to the high BKB on his attacks.

Fox doesn't have any long combos, but correct shine and uthrow combos against certain characters are among the most inescapable in the game.

Hax

Smash Champion
Fox and Falco have the best combos in the game hands down

Jockmaster

Smash Ace
Nobody said Sheik?

Like..that ***** grabs you and she's just free comboing for days...in fact it's arguably the best aspect of the character

dRevan64

Smash Journeyman
Well you can take a look at the old school pro Chu Dat and even Fly Amanita. They are two IC players that dont wobble. They have had success.
chu dat was doing his stuff like a week or two ago at bar wars, it still works
icies have like 30 thousand infinites, wobbling is just the easiest one

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
it depends on how you're applying the combos

falcon, marth, and falco are all very RELIANT on them in order to win

fox, jigglypuff, and sheik are CAPABLE of excellent combos but do not always require long ones to win

ice climbers have many escapable variations, so i see them more as grab resets rather than combos. the handoff and wobbling don't count as combos IMO

if you're looking for extremely strong combo punishes from a single read, i would say falcon can do it the best. however he can have a very difficult time penetrating good defense

"falcon sucks" - hax

Ezzee

Smash Apprentice
"falcon sucks" - hax
I think mango described Hax pretty well
"He's like that guy whose been married for a long time and knows he can do better, but he's been in the relationship to long to leave"

Top Bottom