• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What changes to the game did you like the most?

The Eggplantwizard

Smash Rookie
What are some of your favorite changes to the game in smash 4. This iteration of Smash Bros. brought a lot of changes, but I noticed there is a lot of salt complaining and focus on changes that people don't like. I thought it would be a good
change of pace to focus on the positives instead of the negatives.

Enderwoman

Smash Journeyman
I like the updated art style, I don't like the direction Melee and Brawl were going.

Ledgehogging was removed, thank god.

kinbobbobkin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Remybunny14
3DS FC
1822-1654-6056
I guess the shield regeneration, the techs, and the removing of ledgehogging.

33percentgod

Smash Apprentice
I commend every iteration of the game that focuses more on characters and moves rather than manipulating code, exploiting glitches and bugs in the game engine, and studying frames.

If I lose, I want it to be because you perfected the timing of your moves, not because you sat in training and beat me because you found a bug that's not supposed to be part of the game and exploited it.

That's the reason I never even bothered to touch Melee. It's a broken hunk that the community exploited to high hell. It's not a feature, it's a bug/coding issue.

COLINBG

Smash Journeyman
NNID
COLINBG
3DS FC
3067-5729-5039
I commend every iteration of the game that focuses more on characters and moves rather than manipulating code, exploiting glitches and bugs in the game engine, and studying frames.

If I lose, I want it to be because you perfected the timing of your moves, not because you sat in training and beat me because you found a bug that's not supposed to be part of the game and exploited it.

That's the reason I never even bothered to touch Melee. It's a broken hunk that the community exploited to high hell. It's not a feature, it's a bug/coding issue.
I agree with the ''don't use glitches'' mentality, generally, but I'd like to take melee's defense here.

Suff like wavedashing were known by Sakurai and the team, but they chose to leave it in the game. They simply didn't think it would be THAT exploitable, but it still doesn't make it a glitch. But even then; it's relatively easy to perform. Everyone can do it with some practice. It's not a glitch that can randomly kill players, it's simply something that expands your options and can offer richer gameplay.

You can become good by learning the characters/moves. You can also become good by learning frames/advanced technical stuff. But a GREAT player will be able to do both of these, and actually combine them to make the game richer. Knowing how to do things like wavedashing (or perfect pivoting, for example) lets you use yourcharacters' moves to their full potential, so I believe these ''glitches'' are actually good for competitive gaming.

I only talked about wavedashing, but my point still stands for other techniques like this. If everyone can do it reliably, and it's not broken to the point where it makes gameplay degenerates, it can't be bad.

I get where you're going with your point, though. Sm4sh is more focused on characters and the psychological side than melee, which is more focused on technical skill. None of these two games is inferior to the other, they simply give more importance to two separate areas of the game (which is also why few people are great at both games).

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
No. More. Random. Tripping.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
Better online than Brawl. I never feel hopeless in a match up. The amount of characters. DLC :4lucas:. Ledge trumping (ledge trump almost always leads into a sweet spotted B-air with Pit :awesome:), which helps out heavyweights with edge guarding. I know most people don't agree with me on this, but rage mode. Heavy weights benefit from this so much, and Lucario with rage + aura is amazing.

Last edited:

Quarium

Smash Journeyman
The ledge mechanics for sure, edgehogging was such an easy to do and outright unprofessional technique, now we get awesome ledge fights and so many more characters are viable simply due to this!

Also, the artstyle for sure... can't even look at brawl the same way after playing 4.

ParanoidAndroid

Smash Cadet
I like a lot of what has already been mentioned. One thing I didn't see when looking through the posts quickly is the lighting effect when you hit someone really hard. I also how when you get a KO your character flashes quickly indicating who got the KO. Small nice touches they got right.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
I like a lot of what has already been mentioned. One thing I didn't see when looking through the posts quickly is the lighting effect when you hit someone really hard.
What's the lighting effect? Is that when you launch an opponent far, they have your player's color? Or is it the attacks like Pit's Upperdash Arm where it has a red effect when you connect? I think the same thing applies to Little Mac's KO punch

ParanoidAndroid

Smash Cadet
What's the lighting effect? Is that when you launch an opponent far, they have your player's color? Or is it the attacks like Pit's Upperdash Arm where it has a red effect when you connect? I think the same thing applies to Little Mac's KO punch
Yeah the red and black effect, it reminds me of lightning. I found the pick of the day about it. I guess there is no official name for it.

Last edited:

Swampertrulz

Smash Lord
NNID
Swampertrulz
3DS FC
3883-9003-2472
Better online. Thank GOD there is no more of that TERRIBLE Brawl online.

Riuvee

Smash Cadet
NNID
RiuAuraeon
3DS FC
4296-3444-5420
Definitely the Ledge Mechanics / lack of grab chains. Also the more colorful art direction, despite that I liked Melee / Brawl's take (though Brawl's Bowser looked so creepy, in my opinion...) It feels much more Nintendo-ish, if that makes any sense.

One last thing I love is that Meteor Effect noise. Makes them feel even more exciting than before.

Top Bottom