• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What buttons do you use for what?

Eranthe

Smash Rookie
As everyone knows, there are multiple ways to do a lot of things in melee. You can jump with x, y, or up on control stick. You can do smash attacks with control stick+a or c-stick or control stick+z (i think?). you can grab with z or l/r+a.

The fact that you can do all these things differently is important. For example, I usually wavedash with R, but if for some reason my hand is in a weird place or i'm doing something that disallows me from using R, I use L as backup. I am still a pretty new falco player and I have just recently started implementing wavedashing, l canceling, and some of the other basic falco techniques, but I'm wondering if they would be easier to do consistently with another method of input.

I'm interesting in learning how to wavedash into dash into wavedash for serious ground covering movements that can be combo'd out of, but I'm not really sure what the optimal inputs are for that. I'm also curious to know if I'm inputting my moves differently than other falcos, or if there's a correlation between top falcos and how they move.

I'll list the button I use (with a note if there's relevant information)

Jump (x)
Wavedash (x, control stick+r) [sometimes l instead of r if my hands are tied up]
Aerials (almost primarily control stick+a) [i think this is probably bad; sometimes my down airs are really low because i
fastfall accidentally when trying to down air]
Shffled down air (x, control stick+a, l)
L cancel (l) [i never use r to l cancel, is that bad?]
Waveshine (control stick+b, x, control stick+r)
Grab (z) [i haven't really mastered grabbing yet. i can see a lot of good uses for shield grabbing but i just haven't implemented them yet]

These are pretty much the only concepts I use regularly in playing that I can think of. I'm curious to know if there's a better/more consistent way to do any of them and any additional skills anyone can add.

Please post your inputs if they're different than mine and tell me if you think you way is better so I can try it and hopefully improve my game.

Epic563

Smash Cadet
NNID
lacoot
Jump (Y)
Wavedash (Y, control stick + L)
Aerials (c-stick, but I occasionally use control stick+a if my hands aren't fast enough to move down, however 90% of the time I use c-stick)
SHFFLS (Y, c-stick [or just A if i'm doing nair, I know some people use Z] L)
L-Cancel (L)
Waveshine (shine, y, control stick+L)
Grab (Z, for JC grabs Y+Z, and for shield grabs I use L+A)
Shield (L)
Wavedash OOS (hold down shield for the full shield, but don't click, than jump with Y, than use the click to wavedash)(if i click down by accident I jump with Y OOS, than quickly let go of shield and hit l to wavedash in a few frames. It's super hard so I rarely do this.)

My inputs are in no way optimal. I do not use R for anything, my hands are simply more comfortable. By using the click method, I don't have to use R for wavedash OOS. The only two things for you I would change for you is getting used to Y for jumping instead of X, because you can move your fingers faster and more easier with Y. X is still possible, I mean Dark, arguably the most technical Fox, uses X. However, I'd still try out Y to see if you like it. Also, use c-stick for aerials. It's fine to try control stick+A in situations that I mentioned before, but your punish game with be so much better if you use c-stick. It only took me a few days to get used to. Also, no more accidentaly fast falls and SD's, which is critical for offstage Falco play.

dufuss

Smash Rookie
I use the same inputs as Epic563 above me with a few exceptions.

I find tap jump to be extremely useful for shine quick dairs and shine quick turn around bairs, since I can use the c-stick the moment I jump out of shine instead of having to move my thumb all the way from y to c-stick.

Eranthe

Smash Rookie
The only two things for you I would change for you is getting used to Y for jumping instead of X, because you can move your fingers faster and more easier with Y. X is still possible, I mean Dark, arguably the most technical Fox, uses X. However, I'd still try out Y to see if you like it. Also, use c-stick for aerials. It's fine to try control stick+A in situations that I mentioned before, but your punish game with be so much better if you use c-stick. It only took me a few days to get used to. Also, no more accidentaly fast falls and SD's, which is critical for offstage Falco play.
that's a great point as far as the c-stick. i'm sure you're right with y as well; since it's more centrally located, you don't have to move so far to hit another button.

I use the same inputs as Epic563 above me with a few exceptions.

I find tap jump to be extremely useful for shine quick dairs and shine quick turn around bairs, since I can use the c-stick the moment I jump out of shine instead of having to move my thumb all the way from y to c-stick.
i probably need to try this. i never use stick to jump but i'm sure there are some situations that it would work better.

thanks for the replies! and anyone else with some insight feel free

Fargoth_

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4313-0528-5701
I use Y for jumping, R for shielding and wavedashing, L for l-cancelling, mostly the c-stick for aerials, and the A button plus the control stick for smash attacks. Grab is always Y and Z for the JCG.

blargh257

Smash Apprentice
NNID
blargh257
Y to jump, R for wavedashing, c stick most aerials. I never use L.
This is simply because I can't really do much with my left hand and it was easier for me to get the wavedash timing down with the one hand doing Y and R.

CrackaaJack

Smash Cadet
Jump (X)
Wavedash (X, control stick + R)
Aerials (Control stick + A and C-stick for Dair)
SHFFLS (X, c-stick [or just A if i'm doing nair] R)
L-Cancel (R)
Waveshine (shine, X, control stick+R)
Grab (Z, for JC grabs R+Z, and for shield grabs I use L+A)
Shield (R)
Wavedash OOS (hold down shield for the full shield, but don't click, than jump with X, than use the click to wavedash)

samp6956

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3866-8784-6739
This might be a little off topic but when you shine into wavedash, do you guys return the control stick to neutral or keep it held down and just slide it over? It feels a little uncomfortable for me to just slide it over.

CrackaaJack

Smash Cadet
This might be a little off topic but when you shine into wavedash, do you guys return the control stick to neutral or keep it held down and just slide it over? It feels a little uncomfortable for me to just slide it over.
I hold it down for shine, then slide it a little right to wavedash. It may be a little uncomfortable at first getting used to not returning to neutral but you will get the hang of it.

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
Jump: X
WD: X, ctrl stick, L (this is due to how I hold the controller. It's not possible with my grip style to WD with R)
Aerials: A for fair when I use it (and nair obviously XD), C stick for everything else
SHFFL: X, c-stick, R
L-Cancel: R
Waveshine: Ctrl stick, B, then my typical WD input
Grab: Z in place, sometimes R+A for OoS, and X+Z for JC grabs

Top Bottom