• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What button do you use for jump?

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
What do you think the best button is for jumping? I currently use the R button and it's terrible.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
I just go with the Default controls so I can use either X or Y for jump, but I use X.

Character and task dependent.

In melee, I think tap was better since a few things you wanted to do quickly. Falco's ledgehop lasers with two lasers low to the stage was easily done with tap, but you had to move faster with your hand if you used X or Y.

Now in brawl, the only real incentive for tap jump is out of shield stuff. You use one hand to jump, then the other to c-stick or press a button. Without tap jump, you might have to jump and press an attack with the same hand. That adds in a delay between the time from jumping and actually attack. Even then, you have the option for shoulder buttons which gives you an extra finger to work with.

I think Y will almost always be the best jump button. Its right in line between A, B and C-stick. So pressing jump and going to any of those buttons is easily within reach. X is more awkward, and I am not sure why you would want to use jump on a shoulder button, but imagine some character has a reason for doing it.

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
Character and task dependent.

In melee, I think tap was better since a few things you wanted to do quickly. Falco's ledgehop lasers with two lasers low to the stage was easily done with tap, but you had to move faster with your hand if you used X or Y.

Now in brawl, the only real incentive for tap jump is out of shield stuff. You use one hand to jump, then the other to c-stick or press a button. Without tap jump, you might have to jump and press an attack with the same hand. That adds in a delay between the time from jumping and actually attack. Even then, you have the option for shoulder buttons which gives you an extra finger to work with.

I think Y will almost always be the best jump button. Its right in line between A, B and C-stick. So pressing jump and going to any of those buttons is easily within reach. X is more awkward, and I am not sure why you would want to use jump on a shoulder button, but imagine some character has a reason for doing it.
Thankyou everyone! I chose R for jump because when I first tried the gcc, I expected R to be jump, but i found out it was sheild and I changed it to jump.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Thankyou everyone! I chose R for jump because when I first tried the gcc, I expected R to be jump, but i found out it was sheild and I changed it to jump.
Not to be rude or anything, but uh... why did you expect R to be the jump button?

Before this thread I never imagined that people would use shoulder buttons to jump, but I guess it's possible.

:phone:

Ah, I remember why a character would want to use R for jump. Look at Snake. He has to hold down the special button to walk with a nade and not throw it. Control stick to move left and right, thumb to hold down on B, and R for jump. While holding down B, its sort of hard to jump without clawing or without using tap jump. I guess this is another reason why tap jump would be effective.

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
How do you utilt with tap jump on? Thankyou for more answers everyone.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
How do you utilt with tap jump on? Thankyou for more answers everyone.
I always found it a pain to do that, but I think you just tilt it slightly up.

EDIT: Ninja'd. :c

Double edit combo: Oh. I just looked at my GC controller again and realized I mixed X and Y up. ...
I use Y to jump. X is the awkward one.

lol Yea, you learn to have rather finesse thumbs when working the control stick. If you apply the same sort of half-stick movement that you would do for an Utilt, but for Dtilt instead you can skip having to crouch at all.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Up tilting isn't hard at all if you've played Melee.

Tap jump is quite good - It lets me always have my thumb on the C-Stick ready to SDI or do aerials, depending on the situation.
I don't need fast fingers to do things like wavedash out of shine (in Melee).

Downsides are that I wear through sticks quite quickly, always buying new controllers... I'm extra-sensitive to controllers so I can't just pick one up and start playing. Techniques where you have to jump several times in a row are a lot harder to do (multi-shining in Melee) and it is difficult to get the maximum horizontal distance from your jumps because you can't be holding left/right from the get-go.

I'd recommend claw to anyone starting or thinking of changing.

DJ Arcatek

Smash Champion
I use X to jump in every occasion (OoS option, short hop laser, jumping in general, etc.) but I also set L to Jump so I can do instant phantasms while on stage.

Cereal Bawks

Smash Ace
NNID
cereal_bawks
I use the default controls. I use the X button... Or Y, whichever button is on the right side of A (never really payed attention to that, so...)

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
I changed my controller settings on a new name. Please tell me if its good.
r/l - sheild
z- grab (cant use z because my gcc has a terrible z button)
X- grab (the one i will use)
tap jump off
b - special
a - attack
c stick- smashes

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
I have been using tap jump since Smash 64. I find button jump to be more convenient since it makes Strong-Up attacks easier to execute, but I'm too used to tap jump to make the change.

Donyoku

Greed
I've always used X, Y seemed always out of the way and put my fingers in an awkward position. But I do use my L trigger for Oos options and other AT's
Never used tap jump, I never could be consistent with it.

Pheta Ray

Smash Ace
I discarded tap jump. X is my default jump solely for the reason that Y is more comfortable for grabs for me. Grabs with :ike: are essential for some unavoidable combos and I wanted a button that wouldn't be nearly as annoying as Z grab.

Back from a tangent, I use X for jump with tap jump off.

Top Bottom