• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What brawl has done to me....

Dav657

Smash Apprentice
Every since playing brawl non stop with no melee I have forgotten how to do the following

L-Cancel-I get this 1 out of 5 tries
Waveshining-This is even worse. 1 out of 8
Shine spiking- This isn't as bad but still is terrible. 1out of 3
Illusion Cancel-I cant even get it....
Shffl-Grrrrr.....
/Vent
So am pretty mad at myself for letting me get like this. and the next week or so its only melee.
Sorry am just mad that brawl has done this to me. Anyone else get like this from not playing melee for a while?

Nesveri

Smash Rookie
Same thing here. First I didn't even use L-cancel and nowadays I don't remember to use WD.

DragonBlade

Smash Journeyman
People who care about being decent at smash should just play Melee, I think. Theres so much more to learn going from Brawl to Melee than going from Melee to Brawl. Theres also all the additional thinking and dexterity thats needed for being able to play at Melee's pace and perform all the techniques well.

Brilliance

Smash Rookie
People who care about being decent at smash should just play Melee, I think. Theres so much more to learn going from Brawl to Melee than going from Melee to Brawl. Theres also all the additional thinking and dexterity thats needed for being able to play at Melee's pace and perform all the techniques well.
Yeah, i havent touched brawl for about a week now.

~rh

Smash Lord
I was playing some Melee Marth the other day and I'm still decent... but not nearly as good as I used to be. Forgetting to lcancel my dair spikes = minus one too many stocks.

D:

§leepy God

Smash Master
This happened to me ever since I went to E For All. O_o

But for my option only, when Brawl came out in the U.S., I nevered played Melee ever again.

Tomato Kirby

Smash Ace
^Really? I think that there are still several people still honing their SSBM abilities (if "buddies" refers to the entire SSBM community, disregard).

For me, after playing SSBB for a couple of hours once a week, my SSBM skills (especially with my Kirby) have a slight decline.

Zodiac

Smash Master
Yea, My skill declined somewhat, but I just about never play it anymore, although im still not up to snuff in my technical skill like I was yet, but with my tournament hopefully that will change.

N355

Smash Apprentice
I quit brawl altogether. I don't like what nintendo is doing, making all their games very easy. Look at mario kart. I played it, but I am not going to spend 50 bucks on it when I have mario kart ds, which is imo the best mario kart game out.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Look at mario kart. I played it, but I am not going to spend 50 bucks on it when I have mario kart ds, which is imo the best mario kart game out.
You have got to be kidding me. Kart Wii has more better features, chracters, and online than Kart DS. The AI's are more harder to lose than the one on the DS, (one reason is becasue snaking is out :p), and becides, a Kart without Toadette is like death. D:

I understand if you said Super Paper Mario, or even Mario Galaxy, (not really).

Ryan-K

Smash Master
nintendos a piece of ****. they abandoned their hardcore fanbase which made them successful in order to make games for 3 year olds and grandpa who dont even give a ****.

Best101

Smash Ace
You have got to be kidding me. Kart Wii has more better features, chracters, and online than Kart DS. The AI's are more harder to lose than the one on the DS, (one reason is becasue snaking is out :p), and becides, a Kart without Toadette is like death. D:

The AI isn't better in Mario Kart Wii. You just get item ***** so hard to the point where even if you're the best player in the world you could still lose to complete n00bs. MKW is like 50% skill and 50% luck most of the time

Salevits

Smash Apprentice
Brawl kills thew the touch to Melee. But it comes back in a day or two, if you play a lot of Melee. The most annoying thing is how fast Melee feels like after Brawl :S Gah.

Salevits

Smash Apprentice
The AI isn't better in Mario Kart Wii. You just get item ***** so hard to the point where even if you're the best player in the world you could still lose to complete n00bs. MKW is like 50% skill and 50% luck most of the time
-Play with basic items? Or no items at all, if you will. MCW is a good game. (Which is rare from Nintendo nowadays.)

Zema

Smash Journeyman
I wish we could have a Brawl update that would fix the game :(.

Or a Brawl Channel.

I mean seriously, it even has a badass name! Brawl?! OMG!

Amide

Smash Lord

Yeah, but the constant overpowered items made it not as good.

_
I was pretty unskilled at Melee, but I don't know what it would be like now because I got rid of Melee.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
I hear that

Melee feels so odd to me now and even though I know it's not at all but it even felt slower to me then Brawl

I could still wave dash and land but not well.

I could barely L cancel

and all my approaches where pretty much crap.

...I also killed myself twice be trying to use the chain to recover.

N355

Smash Apprentice

More features doesn't necessarily make a game better, just look at brawl in the eyes of many people including myself. The first time I played Mario Kart Wii I got first place against my two people who have played before and the cpus were on. I love the DS one. Snaking is a technique that adds more depth to the game as well.

Red the Ghost

Smash Ace
More like give me back my Mario RPG
Exactly.

I never got into competitive Melee before, unfortunately, but even though I knew I wasn't good, I still felt I was playing worse than I usually was. :laugh:

Mario Kart Wii felt like a gimmick to me. OMFG WII WHEEL! BIKES!
I played Mario Kart DS, and snaking did add a nice depth to the game... but people always got pissed when you did it on wifi and quit.

peeeetah

Smash Cadet
i dunno. i think i got better at melee after playing brawl. for example. i learned to ledgehop in brawl. the slower pace made it easier to practice and now i can pretty much do most of the advanced melee techs. but you guys are right too. brawl gives you some bad habits i.e. facing the wrong way when you recover, not sweetspotting your recovery, etc. i look at brawl like a training program for melee. it's worked out pretty well so far. my melee game has improved so much.

L__

Smash Master
Well, Brawl. >.< I still attempt to L-cancel in Brawl to leave myself somewhat intact with Melee.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Sakurai forgot to warn people that: Brawl will slowly deminish your technical Melee skills if Melee isn't played in a while which sucks

JrdnS

Smash Ace
the only time i play brawl is with my friends,we play melee too, i never practice brawl by myself. but im always trying to improve my melee game.

icincelli

Smash Cadet
nintendos a piece of ****. they abandoned their hardcore fanbase which made them successful in order to make games for 3 year olds and grandpa who dont even give a ****.

nintendo doesnt care about there fans thats why there focus is on wii fit. and the next wii sports. They do this to try to make money. Which is dumb because if nintendo came out with a Expansion pack that came with a bunch of stuff bundled in it.(brawl update with wavedashing, good dance dashing, no tripping, good melee levels lie fountain and original fd, and fixed the piece of crap excuse of wi-fi and gave me xbox live like online. melee ledges/no auto sweetspot etc.) If that update did at least that and the sold it for fifty dollars tomorrow i would by it without thinking. I actually would feel like im ripping nintendo off because that would be the first good thing they have done in a while.

brawl to melee i cant ice climber chain grab i forgot how so im trying to learn again. I still know how to wobble but dance dashing and applying wavedashing into mindgames is hard now.

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
I dont understand why Nintendo made brawl so gay. It's not like they wouldve lost anything in making the game appealable to the competetive smash community. They couldve made it appealable to both competitive and casual gamers, they succeeded in doing that in melee (and SSB64), so whats the problem?

Blarfenzo

Smash Journeyman
I dont understand why Nintendo made brawl so gay. It's not like they wouldve lost anything in making the game appealable to the competetive smash community. They couldve made it appealable to both competitive and casual gamers, they succeeded in doing that in melee (and SSB64), so whats the problem?
Because then the slim chance that a casual plays a pro, he'll get butt hurt.
WE WOULDN'T WANT THAT, everyone must be a winner!

Andrew Ott

Smash Journeyman
Lol, after 6 years of L-cancelling and wavedashing those habits aren't going anywhere. I actually continue to use my L-cancel habit in Brawl because it's a reaction and has no negative effects.

The only thing I personally have trouble with between Brawl and Melee is that the character select hand in Melee moves faster on the screen with the same stick motion. XD

Top Bottom