• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are your unpopular gaming opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
Bad fanbase or not: Awakening is a really fun game, to me, and that's what matters.
Changing back to the Melee subject: I don't think Smash ever got unlockable characters and Stages right:
  • Smash 64 only had 4 unlockable characters and one unlockable stage. Considering there's not that many unlockables, it's pretty weird the game gives you all of them for doing pretty mundane stuff. Finish Classic, finish Classic in less than 20 minutes (which everybody can do), finish Classic with 3 lives n Normal and higher, and finish Break the Targets with all of the 8 original characters. Wow, complicated stuff.
  • Melee is far better when it comes to giving you unlockables but some of it is perhaps a tad too unrelasonable. For Mewtwo: Play 20 combined hours of Vs. Mode, or 700 Vs Mode battles? Most of the other unlockables have bugger-all to do with Vs. Mode, so odds are this is gonna take you a long while. Unlocking Luigi requires you to finish the first level of Adventure Mode with a "2" as the last digit on the seconds counter? Pretty damn specific. Final Destination requires you to finish Event Mode? Look, I know it makes sense for them to want to push their new mode... but that mode is frankly terrible, and I don't want to have anything to do with it.
  • Brawl? If you play the SSE, you get all the charaters for free. Sure, it takes some time to finish it, but not that much.
  • And Sm4sh. 110 Vs. battles unlocks all of the characters and most of the stages. I know Sakurai didn't even want this game to have unlockables at first... but this? ...Too much. Or maybe too little?

finalark

SNORLAX
Well, my reaction when I played FE: Shadow Dragon:
"I don't get it, this isn't fun."

and my reaction when I played FE: Awakening:
"I get it, now, this is really fun, why don't more people like this?"

Soooooooo as an outsider to the FE series, I will say Awakening is far more appealing than any the other titles, atleast more appealing than SD.
To be fair, most people don't like SD.

It was a remake of the first (Japanese) game in the series that was barely touched when it got a remake. Unfortunately, most westerners didn't grow up with the original leaving it with no nostalgia barrier to save it from criticism.

That being said, I agree with @Zink Imp that the multiplayer was a ton of fun.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
To be honest, in recent years my opinion of unlockable characters in fighting games has faltered quite a bit. Take Smash Bros for example: The more I play Smash Bros the more it feels like unlocking characters can be a chore. Like you need to get the other characters you'll never play; the stages that are neat the first time and then just collect dust; and when the next game comes out, it's the same ol' schlock again.

Now I understand why unlockable characters are there in general: it gives replay value. And it gives you an excuse to play again because different characters can mean a different playthrough. But with fighting games it just feels more like busy work than anything.

Last edited:

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
Xenoblade Chronicles X bad opinion train coming up! No spoilers, of course. I've been spoiled twice in the past week; I don't want anyone else becoming prematurely aware of the plot.

Having actually played XCX now, I'm actually a little disappointed they removed the breast size slider. I was kind of looking forward to having a character that had smaller breasts. Now if you pick the female character, she has the same breast size as nearly every other adult female character, which is of course, on the larger size. I think Irina is the only woman with small breasts! Lin is obviously flat because she's 13, but it really rubs me the wrong way when the only girls with small boobs are the pre- and pubescent ones. There are adult women out there who are below the average bust size; they're not developmentally delayed or anything. You wouldn't know this looking at video games, of course, where all the adult women are at least above average in size. I get that most people prefer big boobs, that's fine, but I'm a little salty my one opportunity to have a grown-up lady with small boobs was removed.

The breast size slider was really poorly implemented either way, though. The larger size options were, quite frankly, grotesque. I know we're in New Los Angeles, but that doesn't mean all big boobs have to look like poorly done plastic surgery. I get that the boob slider was probably more fanservice for the guys that choose female characters as opposed to women playing, but I just can't get over how that max setting looked ridiculous. I've never seen a woman have that shape without copious amounts of plastic surgery.

I'll just go all the way - I disliked the character customization aspect of XCX. The eyes... are terrifying. The face options are very limited and I wasn't really satisfied with any of them. For women, I didn't like any of the voices (but I hate the one I ended up going with, why did I pick "mature", it sounds like a female voice actor trying to do a young boy). The hair options were pretty bad, too. All this at the cost of having a protagonist I can't really relate to. I hate the idea of the silent protagonist. I know you're supposed to pretend it's you, but being that the character doesn't react to things the way I actually would, and nobody reacts to my actual reaction, it makes it really hard to pretend. I find it much easier to relate to actual characters like Elma and Lin, because I can empathize with them. It's more rewarding for me to play with characters I can relate to than it is for me to play as a blank, mute slate that isn't really me.

To top it off, of course you can't remove your character from your party. My character and their awful, awful voice will always haunt me (unless I change avatars, which is apparently possible but I haven't looked into it and I stick by my stupid decisions). I've made bad decisions in my life, but that voice in XCX is on a whole nother level.

The game definitely lives up to its promise of being HUGE, but I don't know if that's a good thing. I wish it were a little smaller! Traveling through the regions is kind of a pain. And it's a shame we only have one living settlement to explore, whereas before we had a bunch (I'm starting chapter 7, so if we all end up moving to a Nopon village, please don't tell me). Travel through NLA is the worst, what with having to switch through the different districts on the Gamepad. I wish there was an option to have them all on the Gamepad screen at once, for those times when you're traveling between them a lot. Characters that are not named Elma and Lin get little screen time. There's affinity missions, of course, but I really miss having that whole-party interaction like we had in XC. And the heart-to-hearts don't seem as charming for some reason. Maybe it's the lack of branching to give me incentive to see all the choices. And not being able to see their faces because of the weird zoom thing. I can't get a good angle, so I just look at the whole party to see who else got affinity.

Also, while the digital manual is a great idea, it doesn't actually explain everything you need. Not to mention it's huge - you can't read this in one sitting. Overdrive was poorly explained and I only got a slight idea of how it works by going online (where I also got spoiled). People will keep telling you to "read the manual," but it hasn't really helped me as much as I thought it would. Still, having it on the menu at all times is very nice, in case you forget something.

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
If you're playing on an emulator once you get to like Event thirty the CPUs start going like 3 times faster than you can actually input.
I'm playing on an emulator now, and it's not like I can input anything properly on the controller I'm using... a wavedash is completely out of question.
Here's a really unpopular one: I don't like LoL or Dota. Dota to me was a lot like Madoka Magica. I took a good look at it once, went "Not my thing" then never touched it again, but people talk about it to this day.

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
Xenoblade Chronicles X bad opinion train coming up! No spoilers, of course. I've been spoiled twice in the past week; I don't want anyone else becoming prematurely aware of the plot.

Having actually played XCX now, I'm actually a little disappointed they removed the breast size slider. I was kind of looking forward to having a character that had smaller breasts. Now if you pick the female character, she has the same breast size as nearly every other adult female character, which is of course, on the larger size. I think Irina is the only woman with small breasts! Lin is obviously flat because she's 13, but it really rubs me the wrong way when the only girls with small boobs are the pre- and pubescent ones. There are adult women out there who are below the average bust size; they're not developmentally delayed or anything. You wouldn't know this looking at video games, of course, where all the adult women are at least above average in size. I get that most people prefer big boobs, that's fine, but I'm a little salty my one opportunity to have a grown-up lady with small boobs was removed.

The breast size slider was really poorly implemented either way, though. The larger size options were, quite frankly, grotesque. I know we're in New Los Angeles, but that doesn't mean all big boobs have to look like poorly done plastic surgery. I get that the boob slider was probably more fanservice for the guys that choose female characters as opposed to women playing, but I just can't get over how that max setting looked ridiculous. I've never seen a woman have that shape without copious amounts of plastic surgery.

I'll just go all the way - I disliked the character customization aspect of XCX. The eyes... are terrifying. The face options are very limited and I wasn't really satisfied with any of them. For women, I didn't like any of the voices (but I hate the one I ended up going with, why did I pick "mature", it sounds like a female voice actor trying to do a young boy). The hair options were pretty bad, too. All this at the cost of having a protagonist I can't really relate to. I hate the idea of the silent protagonist. I know you're supposed to pretend it's you, but being that the character doesn't react to things the way I actually would, and nobody reacts to my actual reaction, it makes it really hard to pretend. I find it much easier to relate to actual characters like Elma and Lin, because I can empathize with them. It's more rewarding for me to play with characters I can relate to than it is for me to play as a blank, mute slate that isn't really me.

To top it off, of course you can't remove your character from your party. My character and their awful, awful voice will always haunt me (unless I change avatars, which is apparently possible but I haven't looked into it and I stick by my stupid decisions). I've made bad decisions in my life, but that voice in XCX is on a whole nother level.

The game definitely lives up to its promise of being HUGE, but I don't know if that's a good thing. I wish it were a little smaller! Traveling through the regions is kind of a pain. And it's a shame we only have one living settlement to explore, whereas before we had a bunch (I'm starting chapter 7, so if we all end up moving to a Nopon village, please don't tell me). Travel through NLA is the worst, what with having to switch through the different districts on the Gamepad. I wish there was an option to have them all on the Gamepad screen at once, for those times when you're traveling between them a lot. Characters that are not named Elma and Lin get little screen time. There's affinity missions, of course, but I really miss having that whole-party interaction like we had in XC. And the heart-to-hearts don't seem as charming for some reason. Maybe it's the lack of branching to give me incentive to see all the choices. And not being able to see their faces because of the weird zoom thing. I can't get a good angle, so I just look at the whole party to see who else got affinity.

Also, while the digital manual is a great idea, it doesn't actually explain everything you need. Not to mention it's huge - you can't read this in one sitting. Overdrive was poorly explained and I only got a slight idea of how it works by going online (where I also got spoiled). People will keep telling you to "read the manual," but it hasn't really helped me as much as I thought it would. Still, having it on the menu at all times is very nice, in case you forget something.
Yeah, I kinda agree with you on the character customization part. It didn't feel as complete as I'd hoped it would be, it seems somewhat...minimal. I was hoping for a customization feature at least as big as the Phantasy Star Portable series(don't know if you've played it). Granted, those games aren't nowhere near as big as Xenoblade, but between the two Phantasy Star has a more well thought out character creation feature(at least I think so). I can't say I know anything about the female voices that were provided as I chose the male character which has some good voices provided, in this case my choice was Yuri Lowenthal(too bad no David Vincent though). That's another thing I like about PSP, if you don't like the voice you initially chose, you can always change it later on in the game. While I'm on the topic, you can pretty much change anything on your character, from eyes to hair style to body proportions(and body types if you had chosen a cast as your race), with the lone exceptions being your character's gender and race, if memory serves. Other than that, it wasn't bad, they just could've done more with it. Much more.

I don't mind the whole silent protagonist thing, but at the very least have them speak during story events. I mean, what's the point of choosing voices to use if they're not really involved in the events as they happen? Seems like a waste of assets. I'm not really looking to place myself in any characters' shoes, I'm a gameplay-comes-first kind of guy, which so far, the game delivers quite well.

If there's anything I don't like about the game, it's the lack of detailed information on the Collectopedia. Specifically in regards to missions where you have to find multiples of a somewhat rare item that you may or may not have found before. If you had found the item at a certain point before, you might not remember where it was found which results in you just wandering around for hours on end unsuccessfully. At least a general area would've helped. I suppose this can be extended to various Indigens, but they aren't so much of a crapshoot. Well, at least having a Skell can make certain trips more bearable due to their speed.

thisisdredre

Smash Rookie
NNID
thisisdredre
3DS FC
2552-1386-9664
I mean, as far as unpopular opinions go, I'm very open about my dislike of Skyrim. The game had repetitive dungeon design and often only spawned the same handful of enemies to throw at me as I made my way around the deceptively large map. This maybe wouldn't have been so bad if the main quest wasn't so dull as well, it really felt like I was trudging along as opposed to the side-quests that really managed to keep me hooked. Only with mods did I ever find a true satisfaction with the game.

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
If there's anything I don't like about the game, it's the lack of detailed information on the Collectopedia.
Have you played the original Xenoblade? It, unfortunately, had the same problem. It was worse because there was no reward ticket system to buy monster drops for quest, and if you teleported to a location or loaded a save, item drops took 60 seconds to reload, making save-scumming for rare item drops an annoying endeavor. There was, however, a trading system where you could trade with NPCs for collectibles, which doesn't seem to be present in XCX. The trading system didn't cover every rare item (black liver beans), but it covered a lot of the obnoxious ones. Xenoblade has the advantage of having been out for a couple of years, so collectible information is very well documented online. This game has been out for a couple of weeks, there have apparently been copyright claims on people putting up collectible info (buy the guide, I guess?), and the game is significantly larger than XC, so that makes it even worse. Buuuut with the whole hexagons marking the areas, I'm certain that with time, it will become easy for fans to mark where collectibles and monster drops are.

Having now gotten 3/4s through the game, and having done more quests and affinity missions, I can safely say that I like the game. Not as much as XC - that game had a unique charm that this game, for all its splendor and size, doesn't have. But I'm liking the characters, I'm finding myself intrigued by the plot so far (and I'm hoping out for some crazy plot twists!), and the combat is pretty rewarding. I don't want anyone getting the wrong impression from my big post up there that I dislike the game.

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
Have you played the original Xenoblade? It, unfortunately, had the same problem. It was worse because there was no reward ticket system to buy monster drops for quest, and if you teleported to a location or loaded a save, item drops took 60 seconds to reload, making save-scumming for rare item drops an annoying endeavor. There was, however, a trading system where you could trade with NPCs for collectibles, which doesn't seem to be present in XCX. The trading system didn't cover every rare item (black liver beans), but it covered a lot of the obnoxious ones. Xenoblade has the advantage of having been out for a couple of years, so collectible information is very well documented online. This game has been out for a couple of weeks, there have apparently been copyright claims on people putting up collectible info (buy the guide, I guess?), and the game is significantly larger than XC, so that makes it even worse. Buuuut with the whole hexagons marking the areas, I'm certain that with time, it will become easy for fans to mark where collectibles and monster drops are.

Having now gotten 3/4s through the game, and having done more quests and affinity missions, I can safely say that I like the game. Not as much as XC - that game had a unique charm that this game, for all its splendor and size, doesn't have. But I'm liking the characters, I'm finding myself intrigued by the plot so far (and I'm hoping out for some crazy plot twists!), and the combat is pretty rewarding. I don't want anyone getting the wrong impression from my big post up there that I dislike the game.
I do have Xenoblade(even though I never made a complete playthrough.....for some reason), and while I do like the game it felt slow at times, not like now with the ability to sprint for a quicker pace and not to mention Skells. And yeah, while X corrected certain flaws of XC, it failed to address the Collectopedia.

X may lack the overall charm that XC had, but I love how the battles were improved in X, being that there are guns involved to compliment the amount of swordplay that XC is known for. And they eliminated the need to have a designated healer around with the way Soul Voices work. AND you aren't locked to a specific battle style(though your partners are), so you can change things up whenever you wish to see what might work best in whatever situation. Kinda similar to PSP now that I think about it, maybe that's why I'm liking X so much.

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
I do have Xenoblade(even though I never made a complete playthrough.....for some reason), and while I do like the game it felt slow at times, not like now with the ability to sprint for a quicker pace and not to mention Skells. And yeah, while X corrected certain flaws of XC, it failed to address the Collectopedia.

X may lack the overall charm that XC had, but I love how the battles were improved in X, being that there are guns involved to compliment the amount of swordplay that XC is known for. And they eliminated the need to have a designated healer around with the way Soul Voices work. AND you aren't locked to a specific battle style(though your partners are), so you can change things up whenever you wish to see what might work best in whatever situation. Kinda similar to PSP now that I think about it, maybe that's why I'm liking X so much.
The addition of guns is a godsend, considering how Sharla sucked. The appendage system is very cool, too. But I miss having an actual heal art I could access at will. All in all, the combat system here is definitely deeper than in XC.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Unpopular opinion: I am waiting for Xenoblade Chronicles to come out on the Wii U Virtual Console before I even think about getting Xenoblade Chronicles X.
I really enjoyed Awakening, but it did have a lack of variety in mission objectives and map design compared to older games in the series.

That being said the story and dialogue was some of the best I've seen from a FE game.
Pretty much these are my thoughts on Awakening. What it added was great, though I did miss a lot of stuff from earlier games in the series. I loved the over world and ability to grind for multiplayer. Those two additions probably made it my favorite Fire Emblem game, though if not for them I would prefer 6 and 7 still.

Also, one complaint about the Fire Emblem fanbase in the West: They like broken gameplay stuff too much. If something isn't broken (as in like "so good it takes effort to lose") or ridiculously overpowered in their favor, they complain. It's pretty weird how a huge chunk of the Western Fire Emblem fanbase dislikes good balanced.
To be fair, most people don't like SD.

It was a remake of the first (Japanese) game in the series that was barely touched when it got a remake. Unfortunately, most westerners didn't grow up with the original leaving it with no nostalgia barrier to save it from criticism.
On top of that, as games objectively, Fire Emblem 1 and 3 are poorly designed games. Their remakes didn't seek to change that as much as integrate them with more modern Fire Emblem gameplay, which is why the remakes aren't any good.
Honestly, I think the real reason why a number of hardcore fans actually hate Awakening is because it pushed the series into the mainstream in the west. IMO most of it is just an elitist "I liked FE before it was cool" attitude. At least from what I've observed.
Some of the dislike is because it took out unit types, map variety, certain map elements, and specific challenges. Also, it wasn't a very hard game to break. Some people also disliked the story, which story is something objective people can dislike. The same is true of disliking the way the characters act or work, which again, I get.

I just overall don't get the huge hate for it, though I do get the discontent with the direction it took the series, namely on some gameplay variety and changes.

Still, I never understood the elitist "new fans suck" attitude per say. Due to a lack of interest and sales of games in the series, it almost got canned multiple times. I've been a Fire Emblem fan since I got 7 in like 2004, and when I hear someone playing a new Fire Emblem game and enjoying it, I say and/or think "good" because I think it is a fantastic series that a lot of people haven't played, and would enjoy it if they played.

The fact we can even still have a continuing Fire Emblem series is because of Awakening, which saved us from the Radiant games not being printed enough and the garbage that is the 2 Shadow Dragon games.

\\

While we're on the topic of Fire Emblem remakes and re-releases, can we get a re-release of the two Radiant games on the eShop? I so want to play those games legally without forking up nearly $100.

Last edited:

Arcturian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Arcturian
Unpopular opinion: I am waiting for Xenoblade Chronicles to come out on the Wii U Virtual Console before I even think about getting Xenoblade Chronicles X.

Pretty much these are my thoughts on Awakening. What it added was great, though I did miss a lot of stuff from earlier games in the series. I loved the over world and ability to grind for multiplayer. Those two additions probably made it my favorite Fire Emblem game, though if not for them I would prefer 6 and 7 still.

Also, one complaint about the Fire Emblem fanbase in the West: They like broken gameplay stuff too much. If something isn't broken (as in like "so good it takes effort to lose") or ridiculously overpowered in their favor, they complain. It's pretty weird how a huge chunk of the Western Fire Emblem fanbase dislikes good balanced.

On top of that, as games objectively, Fire Emblem 1 and 3 are poorly designed games. Their remakes didn't seek to change that as much as integrate them with more modern Fire Emblem gameplay, which is why the remakes aren't any good.

While we're on the topic of Fire Emblem remakes and re-releases, can we get a re-release of the two Radiant games on the eShop? I so want to play those games legally without forking up nearly $100.
Completely agree with the need for the Radiant games on the eshop.

Another opinion here, though I don't know if it's an unpopular one or not:

The virtual console sucks. With the amount of effort it takes to put the roms up for sale (very little), there should be way more games available. The prices for these old games could be better too, but my main thing is just being able to own these games without spending a ton on a physical copy.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Completely agree with the need for the Radiant games on the eshop.
Really glad they got 8 up (even if I didn't really like it), but like... they gotta add the Radiant games. I keep hearing they're so good, and I want to actually play them for myself.
Another opinion here, though I don't know if it's an unpopular one or not:

The virtual console sucks. With the amount of effort it takes to put the roms up for sale (very little), there should be way more games available. The prices for these old games could be better too, but my main thing is just being able to own these games without spending a ton on a physical copy.
That's not an unpopular opinion, that is A FACT!!!!

The Wii had tons more games on the eShop at this time than the WiiU, and a much better NES, SNES, and N64 collection; especially the N64.

I'm glad that Nintendo has used it to localize EarthBound Beginnings and bring back EarthBound, but it is lacking so many titles in the West.

All the Metal Gear games on Nintendo consoles, 0 GameCube games, a weak N64 library, a lacking library of Square Enix games (Chrono Trigger/Cross? Final Fantasy? Dragon Quest?), tons of missing 3rd parties entirely in eShop games (Ubisoft, EA), no real plans to get games that were Sony or Microsoft exclusives on the eShop as classic games (FF VII, Fable, Street Fighter III, etc), and nowhere near enough Wii games across all the Western regions (The Americas only have 7!).

It is terrible that Nintendo just doesn't have contracts to start up the next eShop with their previous progress like Sony has done with the PlayStation Network (and sort of what Microsoft does with the Xbox Live Store or whatever it is called). Really, I dislike how Nintendo console "upgrades" work. It's like you have to start anew every time, which is not how consoles should work anymore.

Last edited:

Xavix

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xavix5
To build on the virtual console, Microsoft is doing a horrible job of porting Xbox 360 games. Why not just let me put the disk for these games in my Xbox? Brushing off the dust on my Xbox 360 just to play Doom (does anyone play that anymore? Holds up well) on Xbox One is a pain. Sony sort of got it right, porting games quickly and effectively, but i really don't like much of the PS1 library.

Last edited:

Kasran

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kasran
To build on the virtual console, Microsoft is doing a horrible job of porting Xbox 360 games. Why not just let me put the disk for these games in my Xbox? Brushing off the dust on my Xbox 360 just to play Doom (does anyone play that anymore? Holds up well) on Xbox One is a pain. Sony sort of got it right, porting games quickly and effectively, but i really don't like much of the PS1 library.
This is typically because you usually need special hardware or software on the console in order to play a previous generation's games. The Xbox 360 uses a software emulator for back-compatibility with Xbox games; this is why some games don't work properly. As far as I know, the PS2 and Wii are compatible with their ancestors' games by hardware. However, because of how much beefier tech is getting, it is becoming more difficult to be able to replicate a previous console's functionality on newer consoles without just expensively cramming the old console's hardware into the new one. That's how I understand it, anyway.

Megakoopax

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Supermario196
3DS FC
2320-6609-3767
- Smash 64 aged badly
- I love Mario Kart Super Circuit
- I prefer Fire Emblem 3 over 11 and 12
- I prefer the older Pokemon/Sonic games because they were less story heavy
- Earthbound/Mother 2 is my least favorite out of the 3 Mother games
- Most Smash tournaments bore me

VillageofFitness

Smash Apprentice
Slightly off topic: My Super Mario 64 DS Wii U port wish has come true! Hooray for me!

On topic: I've realized Goldeneye 64 is insufferable to play in terms of multiplayer. Everyone has such nostalgia goggles about it, and I can understand it, and maybe my revelation can be to accredited to the fact that I've been spoiled by modern FPS, but it's awful. First of all, the lack of the ability to toggle how many weapons are laying around on the field make the game unbalanced, as the arena size has you way too liable to get shot up when you don't have a gun. Plus the balancing issues are attrocious (Oddjob anyone?)
Games such as Timesplitters 2 made that engine of FPS much more playable but Goldeneye 64 gets all the praise despite being an awful multiplayer mode.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
The Xbox One can let you your physical versions of your games, the biggest issue is how limited the library is.

Sony's way of porting is 'if you own the physical versions of these games, buy them again'. I don't care about trophies or upscaling (when it should do that regardless), why can't I use my physical copy of Jak 2 on my PS4 but I have to rebuy it again.

Atleast with VC, it's hard to replay a few games on recent consoles with prices of physical Nintendo games (Hi, Radiant Dawn and Super Punch Out)

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
This is typically because you usually need special hardware or software on the console in order to play a previous generation's games. The Xbox 360 uses a software emulator for back-compatibility with Xbox games; this is why some games don't work properly. As far as I know, the PS2 and Wii are compatible with their ancestors' games by hardware. However, because of how much beefier tech is getting, it is becoming more difficult to be able to replicate a previous console's functionality on newer consoles without just expensively cramming the old console's hardware into the new one. That's how I understand it, anyway.
Yup, pretty much why the original PS3 was super expensive.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Yup, pretty much why the original PS3 was super expensive.
Still... the cell-based technology on that thing wasn't as efficient as Sony had hoped or said it was.

Sony claimed it would increase the lifespan of the console and it sort of did... with games running at sub-30 frames per second trying to look like weaker versions of Gen 8 games like MGS V, GTA V, and The Last Of Us.

Still, the Xbox 360 and PS3 were at least ahead of their times, so those issues at 720p didn't pop up until the end of the generation. The Xbox One and PS4 are so weak compared to modern specs even for their price points (for a console) it is laughable, and those consoles ran into those issues at 1080p immediately.

The fact the Xbox One and PS4 got 1.7 and 1.75 GHZ a few generations old AMD CPU's respectively, which probably are worth $20 each. It's hilarious to see Microsoft and Sony defend this by saying "modern gaming isn't very CPU dependent" when it is more CPU dependent now more than ever.

Yet, they claim these consoles can run games at full 1080p. Now, both consoles are struggling to run games like the new Tomb Raider and Fallout 4 at 30fps at 1080p the same way the PS3 struggled to run The Last Of Us at 30fps, if not moreso.

This is made even worse considering Microsoft wasted $100 of the price tag of the Xbox One on the stupid second Kinect. If they put $70 more into a CPU (allowing for better frame rates, more graphical fidelity, and more game physics possibilities) and a bit more to give the console SSD memory instead of HDD (so memory loads would be way faster, and loading screens would be short plus few and far between one another) over a mandatory $100+ to produce new Kinect, the Xbox One would be blowing the PS4 out of the sky in terms of technology, frame rate, game stability, and sales.

Instead, both companies are making good money now, but will suffer from a very short 8th generation life cycle after 2 great and long console life cycles. Expect the Xbox Two and the PS5 to hit the shelves in 2018, especially if the NX is as revolutionary in its' design (definitely look up some videos) and starts blowing away those consoles.

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
Sony claimed it would increase the lifespan of the console and it sort of did... with games running at sub-30 frames per second trying to look like weaker versions of Gen 8 games like MGS V, GTA V, and The Last Of Us.
GTA V and TLOU most certainly aren't eight gen games, though.

EDIT: GTA5, not 4, never mind.

That being said, what did you expect when you're running a game on weaker hardware?

Last edited:

Ocarina Stealer

Smash Apprentice
On topic: I've realized Goldeneye 64 is insufferable to play in terms of multiplayer. Everyone has such nostalgia goggles about it, and I can understand it, and maybe my revelation can be to accredited to the fact that I've been spoiled by modern FPS, but it's awful. First of all, the lack of the ability to toggle how many weapons are laying around on the field make the game unbalanced, as the arena size has you way too liable to get shot up when you don't have a gun. Plus the balancing issues are attrocious (Oddjob anyone?)
That isn't unpopular.....

My SSB4 DLC ranking is Corrin > Cloud > Roy > Mewtwo > Ryu > Bayonetta > Lucas

Last edited:

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
- Smash 64 aged badly
- I love Mario Kart Super Circuit
- I prefer Fire Emblem 3 over 11 and 12
- I prefer the older Pokemon/Sonic games because they were less story heavy
- Earthbound/Mother 2 is my least favorite out of the 3 Mother games
- Most Smash tournaments bore me
Well I don't know about you, but I don't find Colors/Generations/Lost World to be that story heavy.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Just wanna say I have played thousands of games, but I am finally going to play a MOBA for the first time (DOTA 2).

If I blow up, I want you all to know to avoid MOBA's because they are poisoned!!!
GTA V and TLOU most certainly aren't eight gen games, though.

EDIT: GTA5, not 4, never mind.
In terms of what it takes to run them they are.

GTA V's specs are so high that the PS4 and Xbox One can't even come close to maintaining the supposed locked 60fps it has.

TLOU at 60fps looks like visually very weak on PS4, although at least they let you choose between graphic fidelity and frame rate.
That being said, what did you expect when you're running a game on weaker hardware?
I mean... my point was is that the PS3 and Xbox 360 struggled with those games in 2012, 7 and 8 years into their livespans, yet 2 years into the PS4's and the Xbox One's lifespans, those consoles are struggling almost as bad with games like Fallout 4 and Rise of the Tomb Raider.

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
The Toon Link Zelda games are far more interesting than any other Zelda game.
Things didn't go downhill for the Classic Mega Man series after Mega Man 3.
Brawl is not that bad of a game.
People hate on Sonic WAY too much.
I prefer the Kirby series to the Mario series (though Mario is still great).

Ocarina Stealer

Smash Apprentice
The Toon Link Zelda games are far more interesting than any other Zelda game.
Things didn't go downhill for the Classic Mega Man series after Mega Man 3.
Brawl is not that bad of a game.
People hate on Sonic WAY too much.
I prefer the Kirby series to the Mario series (though Mario is still great).
1. More interesting but poor in the gameplay department. Of course it would be more interesting as the other ones have been released with the same formula over and over.

3. No one says it's bad just it doesn't have the competitive capabilities of Melee or Sm4sh due to it being horribly unbalanced.

4. Making terrible games on a consistent basis means the hate is justified.

5. No just... no.

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
1. More interesting but poor in the gameplay department. Of course it would be more interesting as the other ones have been released with the same formula over and over.

3. No one says it's bad just it doesn't have the competitive capabilities of Melee or Sm4sh due to it being horribly unbalanced.

4. Making terrible games on a consistent basis means the hate is justified.

5. No just... no.
1. Keep in mind this is from an art style perspective. I just find the other Zelda games to either look alright, or in Skyward Sword's case, ugly. Don't kill me for saying that.
3. Oh, I've seen people bitterly resent Brawl because it's "not Melee." No joke, that's how they explain their hatred towards Brawl.
4. I'm not denying the Sonic series had terrible games on a consistent basis, but I've seen others shun people just for liking Sonic. I don't care how much you hate something, but shunning someone else just because they happen to like a video game series is just stupid and petty.
5. Is something wrong with me preferring Kirby to Mario? Forgive me for assuming this, but from how I read that, it came off as a way of saying "You naive fool."

finalark

SNORLAX
Brawl is actually a pretty good game, it's just not competitive. And frankly speaking, no Smash game will ever be as competitive as Melee because everything that made it so was an accident.

On the topic of Sonic, I agree that people hate on the series way too much. Yes, Heroes, '06 and Unleashed are bad and the Adventure series doesn't hold but people conveniently forget that we had pretty consistently good games starting at Colors and ending at Boom.

At this point people hate on Sonic because it's socially acceptable.

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
Brawl is actually a pretty good game, it's just not competitive. And frankly speaking, no Smash game will ever be as competitive as Melee because everything that made it so was an accident.

On the topic of Sonic, I agree that people hate on the series way too much. Yes, Heroes, '06 and Unleashed are bad and the Adventure series doesn't hold but people conveniently forget that we had pretty consistently good games starting at Colors and ending at Boom.

Excuse me? Heroes and Unleashed bad? You're kidding right?

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103

I love Adventure 1. As dated as it is, I enjoy it for being close to the Classics in a lot of ways and having one of the best soundtracks in the series. Adventure 2 is good too, but I think it's not as good as some fans make it out to be. Heroes is okay. 06 doesn't need explaining, and while I don't like Unleashed as a game, I consider the best Sonic movie never made.

finalark

SNORLAX
Excuse me? Heroes and Unleashed bad? You're kidding right?
I used to totally be in camp Heroes, but after revisiting it a few years ago I quickly found that it's honestly a pretty bad game IMO.

Controls so slippery and imprecise it makes soap blush

Levels that drag on forever

Baddies that take multiple hits to kill, wrecking the game's pacing

Having to play through what amounts to the same exact game four times to get to the true ending

More glitches than SA1 and 2 combined

As for Unleashed, it's been a while since I played but I found the werehog segments to be boring and poorly implemented and I didn't find boost Sonic to be all that fun either. In that game boost Sonic had a habit of hitting instant death traps and suffering from clunkly controls. IMO they didn't get boost Sonic right until Colors.

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
This technically counts as an opinion that's unpopular and game-related.
Sheik looks hotter than Zelda.
(runs away)

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
I used to totally be in camp Heroes, but after revisiting it a few years ago I quickly found that it's honestly a pretty bad game IMO.

Controls so slippery and imprecise it makes soap blush

Levels that drag on forever

Baddies that take multiple hits to kill, wrecking the game's pacing

Having to play through what amounts to the same exact game four times to get to the true ending

More glitches than SA1 and 2 combined

As for Unleashed, it's been a while since I played but I found the werehog segments to be boring and poorly implemented and I didn't find boost Sonic to be all that fun either. In that game boost Sonic had a habit of hitting instant death traps and suffering from clunkly controls. IMO they didn't get boost Sonic right until Colors.
I see where you're coming from with the slipperyness, but it never personally bothered me

Yeah, some levels do. Especially the Chaotix

That's what the power characters are for

Like the first one, I see where you're coming from, but I enjoyed a majority of the levels and the music in them was pretty great too, so I never minded that either

I never found too many. In fact, I barely found any at all

And for Unleashed, I wasn't that big on the Werehog, but I don't hate it like most others do. And Boost Sonic in Unleashed is some of the most fun I've had in any video game. Yeah, I mean that.

Anyway, I don't mean any of this in an argumentative way. I just expressed my opinions on the things you mentioned.

finalark

SNORLAX
I see where you're coming from with the slipperyness, but it never personally bothered me

Yeah, some levels do. Especially the Chaotix

That's what the power characters are for

Like the first one, I see where you're coming from, but I enjoyed a majority of the levels and the music in them was pretty great too, so I never minded that either

I never found too many. In fact, I barely found any at all

And for Unleashed, I wasn't that big on the Werehog, but I don't hate it like most others do. And Boost Sonic in Unleashed is some of the most fun I've had in any video game. Yeah, I mean that.

Anyway, I don't mean any of this in an argumentative way. I just expressed my opinions on the things you mentioned.
If you had fun with the games then more power to you. Those were just my personal reasons for why I didn't.

And yes, I do know that you're supposed to use the power characters to defeat enemies but for me having to suddenly stop all momentum to beat up robots wasn't very much fun. I really found it annoying TBH.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom