• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are your unpopular gaming opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I really wish people would stop acting like Bloodstained is some amazing revival and that we haven't had a CV like it since the 90s. Why does everyone love SotN but act like the GBA and DS games don't exist?

Probably has something to do with Youtubers acting like CV stopped at SotN and everything that came after is irrelevant.
To be fair, none of the GBA or DS iterations ever sold as much as SotN, which was the best-selling Castlevania game until the first Lords of Shadow exceeded it in that regard.

Still, I do agree that more gamers should acknowledge their existence.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sandy34

Smash Rookie
NNID
MattSD34
3DS FC
1908-1459-4966
Switch FC
SW 4428 9832 3695
Okay, I'll go.
I don't like Final Fantasy. I think it's a really strange game, and I just can't get into it. Actually, expand that to all turn-based RPGs, except maybe Pokemon. Maybe.

Super Mario Sunshine is a horrible game. The voice acting's bad, controls are wonky, and the gameplay made me want to gouge my eyeballs out. At least it gave us Bowser Jr.

Sonic Adventure 2 is, in my opinion, is a godawful game. It's annoying, repetitive, and all around bland.

I think the New Super Mario Bros. games are actually very good, and deserve more recognition.

Mario Kart 64 is actually not that good. I grew up with that game, but I still don't really like it.

I'm actually really excited for Metroid Prime: Federation Force. Looks really fun.

I don't like Donkey Kong 64 (Except for that monkey rap, though. That ****'s dope.)

Metal Gear Solid is overrated.

Wind Waker is the best Zelda game.

Mega Man I... Just can't get into.

finalark

SNORLAX
~I detested Every Final Fantasy since 10 aside from Type 0 and Crisis Core.
This is unpopular? XI is basically ignored by a majority of fans, XII is cult at best (although more and more people have been revisiting it and liking it lately), XIII is polarizing and even people who like the game generally admit that it's not that great and XIV is in the same boat as XI.

Although the spin-offs has been getting better. I don't think there were any pre-X spins off that I liked.

~Gaming is continually getting less appealing with each passing generation due to casualizing the medium more and more...
I kinda disagree. Games are becoming more accessible, but there's always indie games to scratch that old school itch. Not to mention games like Dark Souls. Plus its worth mentioning that most modern mainstream games come with adjustable difficulty and other options to increase the challenge. IMO most games are actually pretty challenging if you play that above normal.

Supersteve45

Smash Rookie
I really like games like Ghosts n Goblins and Castlevania 3 however I've met a lot of people who hate these games because of how hard they are. I'm not sure if it's unpopular to like these games or if it's just the people I know that don't like them. :143:

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I really like games like Ghosts n Goblins and Castlevania 3 however I've met a lot of people who hate these games because of how hard they are. I'm not sure if it's unpopular to like these games or if it's just the people I know that don't like them. :143:
Castlevania 3 has those moments that make you upset but it's fine. Ghosts n Goblins is a different beast. From the amount of hell it brings you, the dickish level design and how you have to do it twice makes it really tiring to most people.

Plus it doesn't help that the sequels and remake are much better

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
I find the main pokemon games boring, I just can't get into them for the life of me

I hate random encounters in most turn RPGs. That's the one thing that needs to go away forever. It just take me out of the game and makes it a chore for me to finish, I can deal with it in the past but now I can't stand it.

I think I will never play a golden sun game ever. My bias will make me misjudge the games as a whole, because the fans really left a bad taste in my mouth (you can thank the smash community for that). I don't see why they feel the need to compare Xenoblade with their beloved game. Shulk had nothing to do with Isaac not getting into smash, The only thing these two have in common is they are both blondes, have swords and are from JRPGS. I'm sorry I can't play these games until my bias goes away.

I love Star fox assault a little more the Star fox 64.

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
I think I will never play a golden sun game ever. My bias will make me misjudge the games as a whole, because the fans really left a bad taste in my mouth (you can thank the smash community for that). I don't see why they feel the need to compare Xenoblade with their beloved game. Shulk had nothing to do with Isaac not getting into smash, The only thing these two have in common is they are both blondes, have swords and are from JRPGS. I'm sorry I can't play these games until my bias goes away.
Explain further please, I have no idea what you're talking about.

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
Explain further please, I have no idea what you're talking about.
I hate some Isaac fanboys so much that I refuse to play any of the golden sun games, because I think I will hate the games because of them.

They seem to think Shulk getting into smash killed their chances of getting Isaac smash. Like they see Shulk as competition or something.

D

Deleted member

Sonic Unleashed is my favorite Sonic game, with CD being a close second. Even though it does have its flaws (forced medal collecting near the end of the game, some of Werehog stages being overlong... Empire City was an hour long last time I checked, EGGMANLAND), I still find tons to admire about the game. It's the last game I could name where Sonic Team put in a ton of honest-to-god effort, there's just so much attention to detail in the game that for anyone coming from '06 they'd definitely be stumped. All the townspeople and their conversations, the details in the levels and the hub worlds, and just the visuals overall. It's been seven years and it's still the most beautiful Sonic game to date. That and speedrunning through the day levels are genuinely great fun, I love speeding past everything and even playing the extra levels which are more platforming/rail-based.

As usual for any Sonic game, the music is outright fantastic. Jungle Joyride Night, Rooftop Run Day, The World Adventure, Endless Possibilities, Windmill Isle Day, Eggmanland, Arid Sands Night... I could go on. The characters are also developed reasonably well, and the writing is decent by Sonic game standards as well and the story was nice even if it felt somewhat derivative of Sonic Adventure. I don't care what y'all say either, I'll never dislike Chip.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
IMO I just feel like Sonic Colors took pretty much everything Unleashed did better...and without the Werehog that really should have been like Knuckles or something. I mean, beating the **** out of enemies? That's Knuckles' thing. Using his unique features (in his case, rather than bendy arms it's gliding and climbing) to reach areas normal Sonic can't? Knuckles' thing.
/rant
But anyways, the mechanics, the level design, music, etc. all felt more superior in Colors to me. I also feel like, even though it did have a lot of thought put into it, the world of Sonic Unleashed is still a weird fit for Sonic...Colors' rave-tastic rollercoasters and sprawling alien hillsides were more in line with what I'd want from a Sonic game.

Two things Unleashed does have in it's favour though:

- Jason Anthony Griffith's Sonic. This is the point where he actually started doing a really good job as Sonic, and FYI Roger Craig Smith will never be a good Sonic and you can never convince me otherwise.

- The music in this game still kicks all kinds of ass. As it should. Very impressive, inspired "worldly" soundtrack. Some of those songs you listed are very dear to me.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

IMO I just feel like Sonic Colors took pretty much everything Unleashed did better...and without the Werehog that really should have been like Knuckles or something. I mean, beating the **** out of enemies? That's Knuckles' thing. Using his unique features (in his case, rather than bendy arms it's gliding and climbing) to reach areas normal Sonic can't? Knuckles' thing.
/rant
But anyways, the mechanics, the level design, music, etc. all felt more superior in Colors to me. I also feel like, even though it did have a lot of thought put into it, the world of Sonic Unleashed is still a weird fit for Sonic...Colors' rave-tastic rollercoasters and sprawling alien hillsides were more in line with what I'd want from a Sonic game.

Two things Unleashed does have in it's favour though:

- Jason Anthony Griffith's Sonic. This is the point where he actually started doing a really job as Sonic, and FYI Roger Craig Smith will never be a good Sonic and you can never convince me otherwise.

- The music in this game still kicks all kinds of ***. As it should. Very impressive, inspired "worldly" soundtrack. Some of those songs you listed are very dear to me.
The Werehog really should have been Knuckles. Knuckles and Shadow were actually supposed to be in the game (idk what roles exactly, probably not playable) but were cut from the game for unknown reasons.

I'm not big on Colors, even if it's probably objectively the better game. I don't like the overemphasis on 2D sections, which sucks considering what 3D sections there are are really, really nice. I enjoyed how they handled the humans in Unleashed, and I don't mind seeing them around in the Sonic universe personally. Instead of going the "realistik" route with the Adventure games and '06, they went with making the humans cartoony and it fit perfectly. I will say nonetheless Colors has great level tropes though, Planet Wisp, Mountain and Tropical Resort for lyfe. Colors has awesome music too but I prefer Unleashed's more orchestral take.

And yes, Jason will always be Sonic to me. He really stepped up his game in Unleashed and Black Knight compared to Sonic X and games like Shadow and '06, shame that he was replaced when he was getting legit good as Sonic.

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
They seem to think Shulk getting into smash killed their chances of getting Isaac smash. Like they see Shulk as competition or something.
...What? I want Isaac in as much as the next guy, but seriously? As a lover of Xenoblade and Golden Sun I can't help but be both very confused and curious as to whether you're trolling or have been trolled.

D

Deleted member

...What? I want Isaac in as much as the next guy, but seriously? As a lover of Xenoblade and Golden Sun I can't help but be both very confused and curious as to whether you're trolling or have been trolled.
There is some truth to her statement. During pre-release Smash 4 speculation, Shulk actually was seen as Isaac's competition due to them both being blonde JRPG protagonists. However, as of now, I have yet to come across anyone claiming that Shulk outright killed Isaac's chances. Either they think he's unlikely due to the Golden Sun franchise's uncertain future, or they are confident in his chances thanks to his immense ballot support.

Last edited by a moderator:

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
There is some truth to her statement. During pre-release Smash 4 speculation, Shulk actually was seen as Isaac's competition due to them both being blonde JRPG protagonists. However, as of now, I have yet to come across anyone claiming that Shulk outright killed Isaac's chances. Either they think he's unlikely due to the Golden Sun franchise's uncertain future, or they are confident in his chances thanks to his immense ballot support.
Okay, that makes a lot more sense. I really want Isaac in, but I don't think he'll get in. Golden Sun isn't popular in Japan, and Japan doesn't really care about what happens outside of Japan. So unless Isaac is top of the ballot, I wouldn't bet on his chances.

That said, I voted four times for Isaac so hopefully he's got some sort of shot.

finalark

SNORLAX
/rant
Had this been the case I feel like Unleashed would have gotten significantly less **** from the press and community.

- Jason Anthony Griffith's Sonic. This is the point where he actually started doing a really job as Sonic, and FYI Roger Craig Smith will never be a good Sonic and you can never convince me otherwise.
I didn't like Smith's Sonic for a really long time, but after watching the Boom Cartoon I can confidently say that he's gotten a lot better. I still like Griffith a bit more, though.

But don't you know guys?
People only want to play as Sonic
I never got why this was a problem for some people. Having multiple playable character has always been part of Sonic. Prior to Unleashed, the only main series game where Sonic was the only playable character was Sonic 1.

I actually really miss being able to play as other characters.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
See, I don't mind having other characters. In fact I'm all for it. More than one type of character can not only help with those of different playstyles, but also give a new experience. What Sega does with it however is not building up the other characters, but rather adding more to the collection. And it gets to the point to where maybe having just one guy isn't that bad.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Every time I come in here there's a discussion about Sonic

I never got why this was a problem for some people. Having multiple playable character has always been part of Sonic. Prior to Unleashed, the only main series game where Sonic was the only playable character was Sonic 1.
It's probably because Sonic's gameplay is generally the most popular, which, to be fair, you can't fault them, he does have the better experience.

Sonic 3&K: Sonic has a Super AND Hyper form, and goes through Doomsday Zone
Sonic Adventure: Sonic goes through all but 1 or 2 stages while other characters go through less than half
Sonic Adventure 2: Sonic/Shadow stages are seen to be the best parts, but Sonic gets the better level design and more upgrades
Sonic Rush: Sonic gets special stages
etc.

Even when the other characters are fun, they're usually seen as extras (i.e. Sonic Adventure).

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
We've had a few but they usually end up sinking to the depths of the Light House.

A new one tends to pop up whenever a new Sonic game is announced, though.
Sonic Lost Worlds was announced for PC so that's technically new.

I know there are people who believe Sonic should stick to Nintendo consoles only or rather, should be bought by Nintendo entirely, but I'd be deeply saddened if my favorite blue hedgehog wasn't multiplat anymore. Aside from handhelds, the best Sonic games imo were the multiplats and the best versions were the PS360.

windlessusher

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hakudamashi
3DS FC
3050-7676-0039
3rd Party exclusivity in general just rub me the wrong way, I'm sorry.

I'm actually happy it's coming to other platforms. Nintendo has the 1st party IPs to support their own consoles.

Unless it's a real extreme case like Bayonetta 2.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I just want to know why people are making a big fuss over it. I mean, I get the whole exclusivity thing. But it's not like Lost World was that much of a killer app either. Plus games being ported to other consoles/PC has been around for quite a long while, Sonic especially. So maybe it being monocle popping is a bit much.

What I am wondering about is what they'll do for DLC, since I doubt the Zelda and Yoshi levels are coming their way. Sure there's modding, but I'm curious if they're going to do something else (TF2 level maybe?).

Last edited:

windlessusher

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hakudamashi
3DS FC
3050-7676-0039
Sonic and All Stars Racing got different extra content depending on the console, maybe they'll do that again.

Tho the NiGHTS stage could return, I don't see why not.

finalark

SNORLAX
I just want to know why people are making a big fuss over it. I mean, I get the whole exclusivity thing. But it's not like Lost World was that much of a killer app either. Plus games being ported to other consoles/PC has been around for quite a long while, Sonic especially. So maybe it being monocle popping is a bit much.
Plus SEGA was in the business of porting their games to PC long before that become a trend. Games like Daytona and Panzer Dragoon got PC ports while the Saturn was still a thing.

Biogoji

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1306-4994-7436
Not sure if this is unpopular or not but I disagree with Sakurai's opinion of Squeals, if people want them then you may as well give the people what they want.

Heroine of Winds

Smash Ace
I honestly don't see the problem with Sonic Lost World being ported to PC. I mean, the Wii U version really didn't do all that well sales-wise, so I think this might be why Sega decided to put the game on Steam. They wanted to see if it'll sell better on there, but I'm not too sure if it will. Sonic Lost World isn't all that great to me, but it's far from terrible. At least they didn't port Rise of Lyric to Steam, and I hope to God they don't.

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
I honestly don't see the problem with Sonic Lost World being ported to PC. I mean, the Wii U version really didn't do all that well sales-wise, so I think this might be why Sega decided to put the game on Steam. They wanted to see if it'll sell better on there, but I'm not too sure if it will. Sonic Lost World isn't all that great to me, but it's far from terrible. At least they didn't port Rise of Lyric to Steam, and I hope to God they don't.
Sonic Lost Worlds was announced for PC so that's technically new.

I know there are people who believe Sonic should stick to Nintendo consoles only or rather, should be bought by Nintendo entirely, but I'd be deeply saddened if my favorite blue hedgehog wasn't multiplat anymore.
Anyone that has a problem with a company putting its product on a piece of hardware in hopes that it might sell units isn't really worth talking to. Tune out the platform warriors and never go back. You don't have to engage the 14 year olds.

Aside from handhelds, the best Sonic games imo were the multiplats and the best versions were the PS360.
Have you heard of the Sega Genesis (Mega Drive)? Or perhaps you were only referring to Sonic games since Sega went 3rd party.

Last edited:

windlessusher

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hakudamashi
3DS FC
3050-7676-0039
I HATE Sonic 1 and 2
I, for the life of me, can't see the appeal.
For Sonic 1, I dislike the level design post Green Hill Zone, and I don't like how Sonic controls.
In Sonic 2, the level design ranges from "eh" to frustrating, and Metropolis Zone is complete ********

I do, however, love Sonic 3 & Knuckles, by far one of, if not my absolute favourite 2D platformer.

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
I HATE Sonic 1 and 2
I, for the life of me, can't see the appeal.
For Sonic 1, I dislike the level design post Green Hill Zone, and I don't like how Sonic controls.
In Sonic 2, the level design ranges from "eh" to frustrating, and Metropolis Zone is complete ********

I do, however, love Sonic 3 & Knuckles, by far one of, if not my absolute favourite 2D platformer.
IMO...

Sonic 1 is fine, but the worst of the first 3.
Sonic 2 is a masterpiece. Yes, even Metropolis Zone.
Sonic 3 is fine.

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
IMO...

Sonic 1 is fine, but the worst of the first 3.
Sonic 2 is a masterpiece. Yes, even Metropolis Zone.
Sonic 3 is fine.
Sonic 1 is....pretty average in my eyes.
Sonic 2 was a pretty big step up, but I dislike its special stage somewhat.
Sonic 3 is BY FAR the best of the series.

Anyone here a fan of CD?

D

Deleted member

Sonic 1 is....pretty average in my eyes.
Sonic 2 was a pretty big step up, but I dislike its special stage somewhat.
Sonic 3 is BY FAR the best of the series.

Anyone here a fan of CD?
I'd be lying if I said that CD wasn't my favorite 2D Sonic game.

windlessusher

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hakudamashi
3DS FC
3050-7676-0039
I am a fan of CD.

I enjoyed it's attempt at non linear level design, tho some stages are a bit of a mess.
And none of them have bottomless pits sans the last level if I recall.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Sonic 3&K>Sonic Advance 1>Sonic CD>Sonic 2>Sonic 1>Sonic 4

This is the definitive list folks.

Sonic 2 is showing some issues but it's a great game but don't bother 100% it, EVER.

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
Okay, so I actually think Sonic 3 is a messy, unpleasant disaster compared to Sonic 2, but still good.

I don't understand why people think Sonic 3 is so good. I personally think it's riddled with problems.

Hmm... so we don't derail the thread too much with just Sonic, though, let me come up with another unpopular opinion...

I like all of the Persona 3 & 4 spinoff games that have come out so far, and I would not mind if they came out with even more. In fact, I would welcome a Persona 3 rhythm game with open arms.

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
The original SMRPG characters should go to the final fantasy seires and appear in square Enix crossover games if they already own the original SMRPG characters and if it's difficult for them to put them in Nintendo games.
Geno and Mallow should have their own games.
Alex Kidd seires should come back as open world game.
Black Mage should be square Enix mascot.
Captain Rainbow 2 needs to happen.
Bubsy needs to come back.
Nester from Nintendo Power should be in smash
Erdrick from Dragon Quest should stay with his old design (when he was a kid).
Slime shouldn't be Dragon Quest mascot.
Minecraft is one of the best games.
Crash bandicoot seires needs to live in Nintendo console and stay away from Sony.

finalark

SNORLAX
I like all of the Persona 3 & 4 spinoff games that have come out so far, and I would not mind if they came out with even more. In fact, I would welcome a Persona 3 rhythm game with open arms.
On this note, I really don't think P3 is all that great of a game. Dungeon crawling gets really dull, I don't like having an AI controlled party, IMO none of the social links are all that interesting or memorable (save for Elizabeth's) and the story feels like it's trying too hard this edgy thought-provoking masterpiece.

I am biased since I played P4 first, but I can't help but feel like P3 is good, but not great.

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
Okay, so I actually think Sonic 3 is a messy, unpleasant disaster compared to Sonic 2, but still good.

I don't understand why people think Sonic 3 is so good. I personally think it's riddled with problems.

Hmm... so we don't derail the thread too much with just Sonic, though, let me come up with another unpopular opinion...

The only issue I see with Sonic 3 is the fact that Carnival Night exists.

Anyway.....

Super-realistic graphics are dumb. Cel-shading is superior.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom