• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are your unpopular gaming opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Mine is that I Square Enix does gaming right. I'd rather wait a long time and get a super fun product than get poop flung at my face. Yes they do make mistakes (Final Fantasy 15 trailer) but they make fantastic games.
What was wrong with the trailer?

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
I actually actually prefer some of the newer Final Fantasy XV trailers to the earlier ones. The earlier ones tried way too hard to make the game seem larger than life without showing us any real substance or charm.

https://youtu.be/P3xKbPooKAo?t=189

That particular moment in the E3 2013 trailer gives me no reason to care at all. It's a splitscreen with a cast of characters I don't even recognize for the most part. I have no understanding of the context and for the most part, I can't understand why it's so epic.

The newer ones focus more on the gameplay features XV has to offer and they ooze of charm in my opinion. They've been very low-key but I actually enjoy seeing the more humble side of Final Fantasy XV.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
I actually actually prefer some of the newer Final Fantasy XV trailers to the earlier ones. The earlier ones tried way too hard to make the game seem larger than life without showing us any real substance or charm.

https://youtu.be/P3xKbPooKAo?t=189

That particular moment in the E3 2013 trailer gives me no reason to care at all. It's a splitscreen with a cast of characters I don't even recognize for the most part. I have no understanding of the context and for the most part, I can't understand why it's so epic.

The newer ones focus more on the gameplay features XV has to offer and they ooze of charm in my opinion. They've been very low-key but I actually enjoy seeing the more humble side of Final Fantasy XV.
They're epic because I've been waiting since 2006 for this. The way I see it, the trailer is less of a look how epic this is and more of a this is still alive. Seeing Noctis and his gang after all these years got me so hyped.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I think Super Mario Galaxy is a very weak Mario platformer and that I've had more fun playing Super Mario Sunshine than that game.

The soundtrack is still amazing, though.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I think Super Mario Galaxy is a very weak Mario platformer and that I've had more fun playing Super Mario Sunshine than that game.

The soundtrack is still amazing, though.

I played Galaxy 2 and it was amazing, then i played the first one and it felt weak. I think that's because two was better in every way, though.

Also SMS is amazing, period.

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
Unpopular opinions, huh?

I despise the fact that Jiggs is still in Smash.

Snake isn't my cup of tea either.

I think Gen II is superior to every other generation of Pokemon(though Gen IV comes close).

Mario Sunshine was pretty good, not quite 64 good, but still good.

I prefer Legend of Dragoon over FF VII.

I actually like X6, despite its issues.

That's all I have for now.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
The Gen II comment is hardly unpopular, lol Infact I think that's quite popular. Now if you said Gen IV..

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
The Gen II comment is hardly unpopular, lol Infact I think that's quite popular. Now if you said Gen IV..
I don't know dude, people tend to like their Gen I so much that it's almost obnoxious. Almost. I have a lot of love for Gen IV, though.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I don't know dude, people tend to like their Gen I so much that it's almost obnoxious. Almost. I have a lot of love for Gen IV, though.
One of the funniest nostalgia arguements I ever see:

"Dude they made a freaking trashbag pokemone [Garbador] they are clearly running out of ideas."

Meanwhile Muk....

hahaha XD.

I love Gen II as well, hell look at my profile pic it's my favorite pokemon ;]

finalark

SNORLAX

"Dude they made a freaking trashbag pokemone [Garbador] they are clearly running out of ideas."

Meanwhile Muk....

hahaha XD.
On that note, IMO gen 1 has some of the least imaginative designs in the entire series.

Like, I know Charizard is well loved by the fans due to him being the first Pokemon that most players ever adventured with, but you can't pretend like making the game's first fire monster a dragon is incredibly creative or original.

Or how about the seal named seel?

Or how about how Pidgey is a cartoon bird who evolves into a bigger bird who evolves into an even bigger bird (to be fair, all games have dud mons like this one).

Not to mention the infamous "Pokeball with eyes" electrode.

IMO mon designs have only gotten more and more creative as the series has progressed. If anything, they've gotten more ideas, not less.

Nona

Power of the Nonado♥

Meanwhile Muk....

hahaha XD.

I love Gen II as well, hell look at my profile pic it's my favorite pokemon ;]
I love when people make the "running out of ideas" argument. I mean... come on. Exeggcute is a pile of eggs. Voltorb is a Pokeball that evolves into an upside-down Pokeball. SEEL.

I do, however, love Gen I's broken mechanics. Persian + Slash for DAYS.
STAB + Persian's high speed + Slash's crit rate = crits all day erry day
and it can learn Bubblebeam for whatever reason to deal with rock types.

... I'm lost when it comes to fighting Psychics and Ghosts, but it's Gen I Psychics

Last edited:

windlessusher

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hakudamashi
3DS FC
3050-7676-0039
Gen IV houses my favourite Pokemon, Infernape, so for a long time Gen IV was my favourite until X/Y.
They made breeding so much easier, I'd be a fool to go back.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I mean, my favorite Pokemon is Tyranitar. It's a very unique Pseudo Legendary (Along with Metagross, breaking the Dragon onry mold)

I'm quite fond of VI, honestly. Non-Dragon legendaries, I like how the starters have a Rpg Char build reference, and that instead of 150ish they made ...what 70? good ones.

The more I think on it, a like a lot of V/VII Pokemon lol XD.

Back on Unpopular opinions though, I feel like Star Wars games are a bad games (At least, Story wise) <.>

/Flameshield

Last edited:

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Well the only Star Wars game I care about is the Battlefront series and I don't play that for story anyways.

finalark

SNORLAX
I thought the Jedi Knight series was pretty good. I couldn't tell you a single thing that goes down in those games other than the third one's hilariously bad evil ending. Still, they're fun.

On that note, I feel like Knights of the Old Republic really isn't holding up all that well these days. Especially the combat, which I thought was confusing and a bit nonsensical back in 2004 and is just as confusing and nonsensical today.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
^ I tried playing KOTOR I and II and they aged about as bad as Morrowind. Also, my issue with the story is the reverse power creep. I get Sith used to be a race and be stronger, but ...the power difference between the planet eating mask guy (who has no body) or Revan/Malik or w/e compared to say, Sidious is odd. >.>

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
Me fighting Jigglypuff:

Something so cute and sweet shouldn't make me a salty pirate :(
Jiggs? You must be joking. At the very least, anyone who has seen the anime knows that Jiggs is the biggest jerk there. The "cute and sweet" thing is just an illusion to hide the total cesspit that is its soul.

I mean, my favorite Pokemon is Tyranitar. It's a very unique Pseudo Legendary (Along with Metagross, breaking the Dragon onry mold)

I'm quite fond of VI, honestly. Non-Dragon legendaries, I like how the starters have a Rpg Char build reference, and that instead of 150ish they made ...what 70? good ones.

The more I think on it, a like a lot of V/VII Pokemon lol XD.

Back on Unpopular opinions though, I feel like Star Wars games are a bad games (At least, Story wise) <.>

/Flameshield
Espeon fan over here. This is one of the reasons why I think Eevee was the greatest thing in Gen I. And every subsequent even-numbered Gen added new Eeveelutions.

I haven't played many Star Wars games, just wasn't that interested in the series. I did enjoy Rogue Squadron, though.

People who play games for story-related reasons are doing it wrong(don't know if that's really an unpopular opinion, but I'm posting it anyway). But seriously, if a game has a good story I got no issue with that, it just shouldn't be the primary reason to get involved with it.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
^ Sadly the gameplay of (at least in KOTOR/FE games) are not well either.

I disagree with that, btw. Games like Telltale games are almost 100% story driven, so you kinda have to play them for story.

swampthingcs

Smash Apprentice
People who play games for story-related reasons are doing it wrong(don't know if that's really an unpopular opinion, but I'm posting it anyway). But seriously, if a game has a good story I got no issue with that, it just shouldn't be the primary reason to get involved with it.
thank you

finalark

SNORLAX
I think it depends entirely on the game, with things like visual novels and adventure games where the story is 80% of the experience.

But yeah, for the most part if the only reason why play video games is for the story then maybe you should change hobbies. Books are way more suited for what you're looking for and will provide you with a much better narrative.

lordmud

Smash Rookie
I do a lot of gaming critic stuff, and I put Replay value above all else when it comes to rating a game. mostpeople think that's weird. lol

swampthingcs

Smash Apprentice
I do a lot of gaming critic stuff, and I put Replay value above all else when it comes to rating a game. mostpeople think that's weird. lol
It really depends on the type of game.
Though I can align with your point. I don't play games much if I can't play them a lot.

Powerman293

Smash Ace
I think Smash Bros should bust the door open for third party characters in the next game, as there is so much potential that is being missed out on focusing only on the biggest characters in gaming being in the game. Every Smash Bros game at least adds 10-15 characters, and there's enough worthy 3rd party characters to fill up that entire space.

I really don't get the people who want 3rd party characters to stay limited to Sonic, Mega Man Pac-man (and sometimes Ryu). You're missing out on potientally great characters like Zero, Dr. Eggman, Bomberman, Chrono and so many more by feeling this way.

swampthingcs

Smash Apprentice
I think Smash Bros should bust the door open for third party characters in the next game, as there is so much potential that is being missed out on focusing only on the biggest characters in gaming being in the game. Every Smash Bros game at least adds 10-15 characters, and there's enough worthy 3rd party characters to fill up that entire space.

I really don't get the people who want 3rd party characters to stay limited to Sonic, Mega Man Pac-man (and sometimes Ryu). You're missing out on potientally great characters like Zero, Dr. Eggman, Bomberman, Chrono and so many more by feeling this way.
snake is the only one we need

/Flameshield
I will not stand for this blatant disregard for the legendary narrative in the hit fighting game classic, Star Wars: Masters of Teras Kasi.

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
Snake was a terrible addition to Brawl, and easily the worst addition to the roster of any Smash Bros. game. The point of Smash Bros. is that it's a Nintendo fighter - In other words, only characters that are strongly tied to Nintendo or its hardware should be in the game. Solid Snake had three games on Nintendo consoles - Metal Gear on NES, a terrible port of an MSX game, Snake's Revenge, a non-canon game that nobody ever played or cared about, and Metal Gear Solid - The Twin Snakes, a port (that nobody cared about) of a game released the previous generation. Every other game Metal Gear game has either been Microsoft/Sony exclusive or Sony exclusive. Don't get me wrong, Pac-Man is an awful addition to Smash 4, but at least he's one of the most well-known characters in gaming.

swampthingcs

Smash Apprentice
Snake was a terrible addition to Brawl, and easily the worst addition to the roster of any Smash Bros. game. The point of Smash Bros. is that it's a Nintendo fighter - In other words, only characters that are strongly tied to Nintendo or its hardware should be in the game. Solid Snake had three games on Nintendo consoles - Metal Gear on NES, a terrible port of an MSX game, Snake's Revenge, a non-canon game that nobody ever played or cared about, and Metal Gear Solid - The Twin Snakes, a port (that nobody cared about) of a game released the previous generation. Every other game Metal Gear game has either been Microsoft/Sony exclusive or Sony exclusive. Don't get me wrong, Pac-Man is an awful addition to Smash 4, but at least he's one of the most well-known characters in gaming.
Pac-Man is a ****ing legend dude
and if you don't like Snake in brawl then uh
play pm

Don't get me wrong, Pac-Man is an awful addition to Smash 4, but at least he's one of the most well-known characters in gaming.
I mean, so is Solid Snake. Maybe the general public isn't aware of him, but anyone who has payed any attention to video games in the past million years could probably look at him and go "Oh yeah, that's Solid Snake."

I also can't imagine why anyone would say Pac-Man is a terrible addition to Smash, considering he's like, the most iconic video game character of all time. The fact that he's in a game alongside characters like Mario, Sonic, and Mega Man is pretty fantastic.

finalark

SNORLAX
You're forgetting that Snake was in the greatest Game Boy Color game ever made, Metal Gear Ghost Babel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom