• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are your unpopular gaming opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Okay I have no problem with that. However a lot of people will defend the games and say that they hold up by today's standards. Some even say they are the best Sonic games of all time and if that's the case then it doesn't say many positive things for the other games.

It seems to me that the majority are blinded by nostalgia.
They're great games, but hold up by today's standards they do not.

Eggggggggggbert

Smash Apprentice
Okay I have no problem with that. However a lot of people will defend the games and say that they hold up by today's standards. Some even say they are the best Sonic games of all time and if that's the case then it doesn't say many positive things for the other games.

It seems to me that the majority are blinded by nostalgia.
Sonic Adventure games is like watching a bad movie and enjoying how bad it is. I wrote above how those games can be enjoyed even in a modern context but it should never be considered the best game.
The Room is a great movie but its not like you can compare it to Good Will Hunting in terms of quality, you can say that you received the same amount of entertainment from watching them though because those two traits aren't necessarily connected.

yeah pretty much

Frisk.

Child of Mercy
I'm not one to tell people what they can and can't like, if you enjoy the games then more power to you.

On a side note I have heard people mention Sonic Adventure 2 as being one of the best games ever made, maybe I just can't see the brilliance lmao.

Last edited:

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
On a side note I have heard people mention Sonic Adventure 2 as being one of the best games ever made, maybe I just can't see the brilliance lmao.
I love Sonic Adventure 2, but it's nowhere near being best game ever. Who ever said this probably doesn't play many games.

finalark

SNORLAX
I love Sonic Adventure 2, but it's nowhere near being best game ever. Who ever said this probably doesn't play many games.
Or they were hooked on the Chao garden.

On that note, I never really got that into the Chao garden. I get why it's loved and why so many people were hooked on it, but I preferred completing missions over raising a Chao.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Alright here are some more that I have:

- I love the Zelda series yet I have zero interest to play TriForce Heroes.
- MVC2 is overrated.
- Bomberman Hero is just as good as Bomberman 64.
- While I enjoyed it at first (probably because the first season was so fresh in my mind), TellTale's The Walking Dead: Season 2 game was a mess filled with boring characters and really dumb plot decisions.
- I'm not a fan of the art style in both Shantae and the Pirate's Curse, and Half-Genie (especially the latter). I prefer the art style in Risky's Revenge.
- Steam's quality control is just as bad as Nintendo's.

Powerman293

Smash Ace
Fallout is overrated

Final Fantasy 15 is looking fantastic.

Final Fantasy 7 remake needs to be an action game if Square Enix wants its games to stay relevant.

AkumaKing

Smash Apprentice
ALTTP was the best Zelda game and Mother/Earthbound doesn't deserve all the praise it gets.

Orngeblu

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0104-1846-4809
I agree entirely with the shulk meme. It's really sad how Shulk's entire image within 80% of the smash community is memes. Kinda like Ike and C.Falcon
That's how it was for me until I actually played Xenoblade and started using the "This is the Monado's power!" taunt over "I'm really feeling it!".

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
I don't understand people who disagree with the existence of tier lists in competitive games. Is it that hard to accept the idea that some characters objectively have better options than others?

finalark

SNORLAX
- Steam's quality control is worse than Nintendo's.
Slight factual correction.

Final Fantasy 15 is looking fantastic.
This is an unpopular opinion?

I don't understand people who disagree with the existence of tier lists in competitive games. Is it that hard to accept the idea that some characters objectively have better options than others?
I think it has less to do with people not agreeing that some characters are just better than others as much as it is that some people don't like to be told that their favorite characters are bad.

Powerman293

Smash Ace
This is an unpopular opinion?
That was a popular opinion? Huh. Well, Colin Moriarty said the game didn't look that good, so I took his consensus as everyone's. I guess my bigger issue is that why more people aren't excited? I haven't seen too much FFXV gushing on the internet other then when it makes headline news. Everyone is way more excited for the FF7 remake then 15, which upsets me because it overshadows what could be a great game in its own right, much like what happened to FF12.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
That was a popular opinion? Huh. Well, Colin Moriarty said the game didn't look that good, so I took his consensus as everyone's. I guess my bigger issue is that why more people aren't excited? I haven't seen too much FFXV gushing on the internet other then when it makes headline news. Everyone is way more excited for the FF7 remake then 15, which upsets me because it overshadows what could be a great game in its own right, much like what happened to FF12.
I think a lot of people think FFXV is looking fantastic. It's just that we all think development itself is far from fantastic lol

Luminous engine having lots of issues right now, and they're still making changes to stuff like Regis's character design.
Hard to stay excited when the recent flow of information isn't at that big marketing phase yet.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Colin who? Trust me, people are excited for FFXV, especially those like me, who've been waiting since 2007 when it was known as FF Versus XIII. The more I see of it, the better it looks!

Powerman293

Smash Ace
Colin who? Trust me, people are excited for FFXV, especially those like me, who've been waiting since 2007 when it was known as FF Versus XIII. The more I see of it, the better it looks!
Well known former IGN (game news site) employee who splintered off with his friends to do his own thing, Kinda Funny. The dude supposedly loves JRPGS but sounds disinterested in this game and the Xenoblade series ( which in my mind is a crime, since he talks shop about modern JRPGS but not mentioning XBC is dumb).

Also, another unpopular gaming opinion, Colin Moriarty tries to sound smart while Greg Miller is actually the genius.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
It's due to that mindset of this

"WHY ARE YOU GIVING ME CRAP FOR PLAYING :roymelee::mewtwomelee:&:sonic:. LET ME HAVE FUN"

I'm not saying drop them for high tier characters but you do realize that those character aren't good whatsoever in their respective games, right?

And I think it's mostly of a mindset that they don't even like competitive play but still complain about tier list

finalark

SNORLAX
Luminous engine having lots of issues right now, and they're still making changes to stuff like Regis's character design.
Hard to stay excited when the recent flow of information isn't at that big marketing phase yet.
I think Square knows the game is a WIP and wants to keep hype low right now so they don't raise any unrealistic expectations or accidentally promise features that end up getting cut. I'm sure we'll see Squeenix start up the hype train once the game reaches its final stages of development and we get closer to the release date.

SurrealBrain

Smash Cadet
Amitie is the best Puyo Puyo character. She's just wonderful...and on that note, Puyo Puyo is the best puzzle series I played.

The Sonic series has had its ups and downs, but overaal, I still enjoy the games. On a related note, I actually like Pontac and Graff's work on the series, though I hear Shattered Crystal is their worst work. Still need to play it for myself.

I'd love toget an Xbone for Rare Replay. Yeah, my main draw for a new console is a collection of old games...sad, really.

I still like cartridges, though I can see how newer media like discs and downloads are more reliable.

SurrealBrain

Smash Cadet
Another one is that no matter how much I tried, I can't get into the Zelda series to save my life. Yet I enjoyed Hyrule Warriors, which was different gameplay altogether. Then I played Star Fox Adventures, and I loved it enough to beat it, so clearly the gameplay wasn't the issue.

Just that every time I think I found a Zelda game I like, something always makes me unmotivated to go further before the adventure is officially over.

You can kill me now.

Another one is that no matter how much I tried, I can't get into the Zelda series to save my life. Yet I enjoyed Hyrule Warriors, which was different gameplay altogether.
Well, that's understandable. Zelda's not for everyone. Hyrule Warriors is just Dynasty Warriors with a Zelda skin over it, anyway.

Then I played Star Fox Adventures, and I loved it enough to beat it
Alright, ya lost me.

finalark

SNORLAX
Star Fox Adventures is a perfectly decent game if you're willing to go into it as not a Star Fox game.

Then again, SFA was my first SF game so I was able to enjoy it unburdened by knowing what Star Fox is "supposed to be."

EDIT: Tricky is one of the most horribly annoying video game sidekicks ever, though.

Last edited:

SurrealBrain

Smash Cadet
Alright, ya lost me.
Understandable . Personally, I'm not sure I understand my own preferences. :p That's why I didn't elaborate on my issues with Zelda; I can't put my finger on it. I'm weird.

Last edited:

Sünta

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sünta_Foot
3DS FC
2234-7187-3957
6) DKC64 is boring with all the collecting
Can't agree more, that's why speedrunning it is fun, you don't have to collect squat

Anyway-
-Four Swords Adventure is a solid Zelda game
-Gen 5 Pokemon was good
-Gen 3 Pokemon was not good
-Mario 64 is kind of boring outside of 120 star speedruns
-The souls series isn't the hardest gaming series. half of the nes library is harder
-Roller Coaster Tycoon is the only simulator game that should exist besides the sims (I can't believe I said that)
-Rust Bucket Bay not rage inducing
-Ocarina of Time was one of the better 3d Zelda games because the glitches let you play the game however you wish.
-Fire Emblem Awakening was mediocre compared to the other Fire Emblems
-Mario Kart Wii is the best mario kart
-League of Legends looks really boring
-Sonic Adventure 1&2 were both bad.
-There was no point on making Lucina a playable character especially since they can just put her model over Marth (like what they did with Alph)

Sünta

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sünta_Foot
3DS FC
2234-7187-3957
People don't like gen 5? Sounds like heresy to me.
Surprisingly yes, all the people I know think its the worst generation

Is this really that unpopular, though? Back when I was really active on the serenesforest forums, all of the more "dedicated" FE players agreed.
Same as the previous statement, the people I know think Awakening is the best game ever

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
Is this really that unpopular, though? Back when I was really active on the serenesforest forums, all of the more "dedicated" FE players agreed.
That's because hardcore long-time fans of any series get salty when an "inferior" entry gets extremely popular. Just ask Elder Scrolls who have been around since Morrowind how the feel about Oblivion or Skyrim.

Then again, back in the earlier 2000s Morrowind was considered an example of "dumbing down a game for console 'tards" so in actuality it has little to do with the quality of the game and more to do with elitism.

Surprisingly yes, all the people I know think its the worst generation
I don't know if you've been hanging around genwunners or what, but damn near every Pokemon fan who actually love the series and not their nostalgia for it considers gen 5 to be the pinnacle of the entire franchise at most or one of the better games at least.

Last edited:

Lichi

This is my war snarl
Final Fantasy games became way too overhyped since part 7 and are on a steep decline in quality.

I think Banjo Kazooie is the better Super Mario 64.

Diddy Kong Racing is the better Mario Kart 64.

Every Pokémon game past Gen I is rubbish.

Assassin's Creed 2 is not only the best AC, it is the only one really worth playing.

Open World is a trend that needs to stop ASAP. It has ruined so many promising games (like Dragon Age Inquisition) and will continue to do so.

TES games are nothing more than sandboxes for modders and not worth playing without mods.

To this date, Heroes of Newerth is the best moba like game in terms of feeling 'on point' mechanics wise. It is oh so crisp.

I honestly believe that Windwaker is a better Zelda game than Ocarina of Time, despite being very easy.

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
Since we're on the topic of Assassin's Creed:

The first was the best, at least out of the three I've played (1, 2, and Brotherhood). Don't get me wrong, AC1 needed some tweaking here and there, but overall it was way better than 2 and Brotherhood. Shops? Who needs shops? Your health recovers when you're socially invisible, so you don't need potions. You don't need weapons, your arsenal is upgraded as you advance in the game. You need refills on throwing knives, but you can jack those easily. Altair da bes assassin.

The second was worse in every way. Ignoring the always-online DRM bull**** the PC version was saddled with (that naturally made the game run like ****, no matter what your specs are), the gameplay simply didn't work as well and the story received a massive downgrade. There were a whole bunch of unnecessary new mechanics foisted on AC2. The gameplay was revamped to feel less like an out-of-body experience and more like a traditional video game. You even get instant-healing medicine (read: health potions), in a game that's set on Earth, in the past. The stealth mechanic is practically removed, made worthless by the new AI and the environment. If the guards notice you, all you can do is slaughter them, because trying to run will only get more on your tail before you finally remember that hiding is pointless in AC2 and you have to kill them all. Ezio sucks.

Brotherhood was better than 2, but that's not saying a whole lot. Some of the fat got trimmed, but overall it was more like 2 than 1. I didn't outright hate it like I did with AC2, but I was pretty bored with it. So bored, in fact, that I never finished it. I had to kill a bunch of soldiers invading a castle, and I was going for 100% sync (in this mission, it means not getting hit at all), with the game lagging thanks to forced Uplay. In the end, I decided I didn't care enough to try and power through it, or even enough to play without trying for 100% synchronization. The assist mechanic was neat, and did a lot to bring back stealth. Ezio still sucks, but not nearly as much.

finalark

SNORLAX
Claiming that the new Pokemon games suck because you don't like the design of the monsters is the most ridiculous and nostalgia driven reason to not like a game I've ever heard. Not to mention it sounds absolutely nuts in the context of other games. Could you imaging someone saying "Yeah, I thought all of the Castlevania games after the NES series were pretty trash. The monsters were so ugly."

On a completely unrelated note, I liked the Goldeneye remake, even if it was CoD lite.

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
Claiming that the new Pokemon games suck because you don't like the design of the monsters is the most ridiculous and nostalgia driven reason to not like a game I've ever heard. Not to mention it sounds absolutely nuts in the context of other games. Could you imaging someone saying "Yeah, I thought all of the Castlevania games after the NES series were pretty trash. The monsters were so ugly.".
I disagree. Art shifts can change the entire tone of the game. For example, Twilight Princess's fascination with bloom effects made the game look (and feel) rather dull and depressing, compared to the more vibrant OoT, MM, and WW.

Heroine of Winds

Smash Ace
Amitie is the best Puyo Puyo character. She's just wonderful...and on that note, Puyo Puyo is the best puzzle series I played.

The Sonic series has had its ups and downs, but overaal, I still enjoy the games. On a related note, I actually like Pontac and Graff's work on the series, though I hear Shattered Crystal is their worst work. Still need to play it for myself.
I need to get back into Puyo Puyo someday. I remember being a pretty big Amitie fan back in the day even though she's still a favorite of mine. XD

I really didn't care about Shattered Crystal all that much, but it did feel like a better game compared to Rise of Lyric. However, Pontaff's writing for the game is a lot worse than Colors, Generations, & Lost World. I can't get over how awful some of the 'jokes' are.

I honestly believe that Windwaker is a better Zelda game than Ocarina of Time, despite being very easy.
I didn't think OOT aged all that well personally. WW felt like a better game to me.

SurrealBrain

Smash Cadet
Playing Star Fox 1, I personally think that while the graphics have aged poorly, everything else hold up very well. Gameplay, soundtrack, yeah, it's amazing. And no, this isn't nostalgia; I only played it for the very first time yesterday.

Star Fox 2 was similar, but I don't like it as much...though one programmer said we don't have the complete Star Fox 2 experience. Not yet, at least.

oZzIIgk

Smash Journeyman
- Steam's quality control is just as bad as Nintendo's.
Which company are people more likely to point fingers at in terms of poor quality control? I mean, it seems like the company you're giving a hard time is Nintendo. Is that what you intended?

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
I know a lot of people may not enjoy them, but I love the extra features on consoles, even if I don't use half of them. It makes it feel more than just a console to me. Before, if I wanted to listen to tunes while playing games, assuming a music player was near by, I'd have to boot up two things. The music player would generally drown out the audio from the game and I do enjoy listening to the sfx, so most often I wouldn't listen to music. PS4 comes by with Spotify, and now I can seamlessly score goals in Rocket League while bumping to Porter Robinson. That's awesome!

During EVO, booted up my PS4 and watched it through Twitch. It's pretty cool.

Sure, you have to traverse multiple menus (two menus; login, then choose game) to play your games now, but I don't mind it, I may even prefer it. The only console I do mind going through menus is the Wii U, but that's because it feels so barebones compared to the Xbox One and PS4's, even the 360's and PS3's.

I don't want to say I don't care, because I do, but I don't really mind less games coming out with split-screen. If it's a series where split-screen is a focal point and they drop it (I'm looking at you Halo 5), then it is saddening, but if Rocket League didn't come with split-screen, I wouldn't have cared. This is probably influenced by the fact that the main way I play with my friends isn't through split-screen but online with a VOIP service open (i.e Mumble). You can't really play a MOBA split-screen.

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
A lot of the newer Sonic characters get hate (and for good reason) but I'm actually very fond of Blaze the Cat. She's wonderful for numerous reasons. Unlike characters like Big the Cat, her abilities actually lend themselves toward fast-paced platforming gameplay since she's both fast and acrobatic. Unlike Rouge, she isn't weirdly oversexualized. She debuted in a relatively good Sonic game unlike Silver the Hedgehog. And unlike all of the other female characters in Sonic, she's the only one with a super form. She's also proven that she can go toe to toe with Sonic in a fight. She's really a character I wish they'd do more with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom