• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are your unpopular gaming opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
This may be an unpopular opinion:

I don't get the appeal of Let's Plays at all. I mean I guess it helps that I can afford most of the games I want (and consequently just play them myself), but even then, I'd rather experience games myself, even if I have to wait.
I don't watch Let's Plays much myself, but as a person who does watch competitive gaming, I'd liken it to watching sports. You're watching how other people react to certain games, how they play and such, and for many it's entertaining.

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
I don't watch Let's Plays much myself, but as a person who does watch competitive gaming, I'd liken it to watching sports. You're watching how other people react to certain games, how they play and such, and for many it's entertaining.
Mm. I guess. I watch sports and competitive video games and love both. Let's plays just don't click for me. Your explanation makes some sense, though. I guess there's some kind of enjoyment to be derived from spectating just about anything, depending on what you're into.

finalark

SNORLAX

I don't get the appeal of Let's Plays at all. I mean I guess it helps that I can afford most of the games I want (and consequently just play them myself), but even then, I'd rather experience games myself, even if I have to wait.
I personally don't like watching or reading lets plays of games I've never played before. Unless I'm passively interested in a game, then sometimes I'll check out a little bit of a lets play to see if it's my cup of tea.

Aside from that, occasionally I'll take a look at lets plays of games I'm familiar with because it's interesting to see someone else's take on it. Plus there's some fun times to be had if the LPer is actually funny. That being said, I'm not a big of the "watch, don't play" culture that's come up surrounding LPs.

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
I personally don't like watching or reading lets plays of games I've never played before. Unless I'm passively interested in a game, then sometimes I'll check out a little bit of a lets play to see if it's my cup of tea.

Aside from that, occasionally I'll take a look at lets plays of games I'm familiar with because it's interesting to see someone else's take on it. Plus there's some fun times to be had if the LPer is actually funny. That being said, I'm not a big of the "watch, don't play" culture that's come up surrounding LPs.
People that think they have informed opinions on games because of LPs and Game Grumps and **** make me want to explode.

That and the fact that Game Grumps and its constituent "entertainers" are aggressively unfunny.

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
People that think they have informed opinions on games because of LPs and Game Grumps and **** make me want to explode.

That and the fact that Game Grumps and its constituent "entertainers" are aggressively unfunny.
I can't hate on Game Grumps to that extent because I actually like some of their spin off shows. Mostly their stuff that doesn't have Egoraptor in it.

For me, my biggest pet peeve about the Let's Player boom is that now we have an entire generation of horror game "fans" who refuse to actually try the games they "love" and can't enjoy them unless there's some idiot in the corner overreacting to every single scare. Anyone who's actually down with the horror genre will tell you in real life nobody screams their heads off at a jump scare. You lurch back for a second, shake it off and keep going.

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
I can't hate on Game Grumps to that extent because I actually like some of their spin off shows. Mostly their stuff that doesn't have Egoraptor in it.

For me, my biggest pet peeve about the Let's Player boom is that now we have an entire generation of horror game "fans" who refuse to actually try the games they "love" and can't enjoy them unless there's some idiot in the corner overreacting to every single scare. Anyone who's actually down with the horror genre will tell you in real life nobody screams their heads off at a jump scare. You lurch back for a second, shake it off and keep going.
Yep. I'm not much of a horror guy myself, but any LP with a face cam is gonna have some hammed up acting.

The few times I've enjoyed watching internet people play 1P video games were when they were deeply knowledgeable of the game in question and had no face cam. Just a mic for quality, insightful narration of what was going on and what they were doing.

vexoskeleton

Smash Apprentice

aggressively unfunny id say is a very heavily opinionated statement to make. Especially if you go into those scenarios of watching them with the preconceived notion that they are unfunny then you won't find them funny. I personally watch game grumps very often and while they can regularly put out episodes that are meh in commentary or just not entertaining in part because they play a boring game to watch they also do regularly at least make me laugh.

On the subject of why i watch LP's though I'd just say cause I like video games and the people I watch I find to say funny or entertaining things while playing. I also have a very hard time deciding on what game to play or just getting my self to actually play a game on my own nowadays that isn't smash so having their regularly output content allows me to still atleast see gameplay on a regular basis so I don't feel I am missing out on the enjoyment I gain from just seeing a game be played whether by me or someone else

TacoLord9000

Smash Cadet
Majora's Mask and Ocarina of Time are the greatest video games ever made. I highly doubt anyone would put Majora's Mask in their top 5 games of all time.

TacoLord9000

Smash Cadet
Not sure if sarcasm, or if new to the internet.
Don't you know that thinking Majora's Mask is the best Zelda game makes you a complete hipster? It is true though that a lot of people put Ocarina of Time as #1.
A lot of people grief about the three day cycle even though it's one of the reasons why game is a masterpiece. So it's actually quite unpopular to like Majora's Mask to this extent.
I have seen so many people say that Wind Waker is the best or even A Link to the Past and don't even bother putting MM in their top 5 Zelda games.

My original post should have been Majora's Mask is better than Ocarina of Time. That is definitely an unpopular opinion.

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
Don't you know that thinking Majora's Mask is the best Zelda game makes you a complete hipster? It is true though that a lot of people put Ocarina of Time as #1.
A lot of people grief about the three day cycle even though it's one of the reasons why game is a masterpiece. So it's actually quite unpopular to like Majora's Mask to this extent.
I have seen so many people say that Wind Waker is the best or even A Link to the Past and don't even bother putting MM in their top 5 Zelda games.

My original post should have been Majora's Mask is better than Ocarina of Time. That is definitely an unpopular opinion.
I don't know if you just haven't been on the internet since 2005 or if you just visit some very unusual LoZ fansites, but MM is kinda well liked. Like, really, really well liked. As in, has an extremely enthusiastic fan base and is now pretty universally considered one of the best in the series.

TacoLord9000

Smash Cadet
I don't know if you just haven't been on the internet since 2005 or if you just visit some very unusual LoZ fansites, but MM is kinda well liked. Like, really, really well liked. As in, has an extremely enthusiastic fan base and is now pretty universally considered one of the best in the series.
I mean if you are talking about the cult followers of the game then yes it is well liked among them. Earthbound and the Mother series also have a cult following but I doubt many gamers in today's age even know what those games are. Heck most people probably only know Ness because he is in smash bros.

To be fair though I do remember seeing Majora's Mask listed as the game of the decade on Gamefaqs years ago. However I think the voters had a pretty large Nintendo bias. I will concede that the game is more loved than I originally gave it credit for.

However I also feel as if there is certain negative stigma attached to the game. I have seen so many people complain about the Great Bay Temple when it's not even that bad of a temple. I feel like the opinion on the game is pretty divided.

When I think of universal best I tend to see Ocarina of Time and sometimes A Link to the Past. Majora's Mask is an afterthought if you polled most gamers about the Zelda series in general. When I think of a "universal game" I tend to think a game that almost has a transcendent quality that allows it to connect to people that maybe wouldn't even normally play that type of video game. Ocarina of Time accomplishes this.
I think it takes a hardcore Zelda fan to truly appreciate Majora's Mask for its beauty. I think this game requires for you play Ocarina of Time or another 3D Zelda game in order to enjoy it, since it is a hard game for casual players.

Let's be real if you're not a hardcore Zelda fan you're definitely not going to put MM in your top 5 games of all time. I would argue that you can still put Ocarina of Time in your top 5 and not necessarily be a hardcore Zelda fan.

I'm sorry if my post came across as trying to say that Majora's Mask is an unpopular game which is what not what I was trying to imply. The point I was trying to emphasize is people actually thinking that it is the greatest video game ever made, which I can assure you is an unpopular opinion. If I had said OoT most people probably would have accepted it. But If I say MM, people are definitely going to turn their heads at that.

I guess my example though was kind of lame so I'll give a real unpopular opinion: Sonic 06 is a good game.

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
aggressively unfunny id say is a very heavily opinionated statement to make.
Well, then I guess I'm in the right thread.

Especially if you go into those scenarios of watching them with the preconceived notion that they are unfunny then you won't find them funny. I personally watch game grumps very often and while they can regularly put out episodes that are meh in commentary or just not entertaining in part because they play a boring game to watch they also do regularly at least make me laugh.
Just because I don't find something funny that you do doesn't mean it's because of some cognitive bias. For any hit comedian or comedy show, there's someone out there that thinks that comedian/show sucks. For Game Grumps, I'm one of those people.

On the subject of why i watch LP's though I'd just say cause I like video games and the people I watch I find to say funny or entertaining things while playing. I also have a very hard time deciding on what game to play or just getting my self to actually play a game on my own nowadays that isn't smash so having their regularly output content allows me to still atleast see gameplay on a regular basis so I don't feel I am missing out on the enjoyment I gain from just seeing a game be played whether by me or someone else
That makes sense. I could see how it could take away some of the anxiety, effort, and time necessary to invest in and enjoy games as people get busier.

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
I mean if you are talking about the cult followers of the game then yes it is well liked among them. Earthbound and the Mother series also have a cult following but I doubt many gamers in today's age even know what those games are. Heck most people probably only know Ness because he is in smash bros.
Today's age? Na, even back then most people didn't know what Earthbound was until Smash.

Although due to Ness (and now Lucas) being constant recurring characters in Smash EB's obscure cred is pretty much out the window.

However I also feel as if there is certain negative stigma attached to the game. I have seen so many people complain about the Great Bay Temple when it's not even that bad of a temple. I feel like the opinion on the game is pretty divided.
Years and years ago? Yeah. For a long time it was just kind a brushed off as "the weird Zelda" and forgotten about. These days? Good luck finding someone who will criticize the game without using the word "overrated" or some other synonym.

When I think of universal best I tend to see Ocarina of Time and sometimes A Link to the Past. Majora's Mask is an afterthought if you polled most gamers about the Zelda series in general. When I think of a "universal game" I tend to think a game that almost has a transcendent quality that allows it to connect to people that maybe wouldn't even normally play that type of video game. Ocarina of Time accomplishes this.
I think it takes a hardcore Zelda fan to truly appreciate Majora's Mask for its beauty. I think this game requires for you play Ocarina of Time or another 3D Zelda game in order to enjoy it, since it is a hard game for casual players.
I will agree that MM gets lost in the shuffle when talking about LoZ among the gaming community at large. That being said, series specific opinions are completely lost on the general gaming community. Like, if I were to say that I think that Rondo of Blood is a better game than Castlevania IV I'd probably get some eyebrows from people who have only plays CV in passing. But among CV fans Rondo being the best Classicvania game is borderline treated as fact.

I guess what I'm try to say is that the concept of unpopular opinions is lost when you try to apply them to larger community out side of said opinions fan base. Especially since most non-fans are pretty much only aware of the best selling game in any given series.

Let's be real if you're not a hardcore Zelda fan you're definitely not going to put MM in your top 5 games of all time. I would argue that you can still put Ocarina of Time in your top 5 and not necessarily be a hardcore Zelda fan.
Yes, but among LoZ fans MM being in your top 5 isn't exactly uncommon. Again, my point is that if you're trying to apply a series specific opinion to non-fans it's kind of like trying to apply bubble gum to a Popsicle.

I'm sorry if my post came across as trying to say that Majora's Mask is an unpopular game which is what not what I was trying to imply. The point I was trying to emphasize is people actually thinking that it is the greatest video game ever made, which I can assure you is an unpopular opinion. If I had said OoT most people probably would have accepted it. But If I say MM, people are definitely going to turn their heads at that.
Nintendo Life actually did a poll.

OoT and ALTTP tied for first, TP was second and MM was right behind that with only a 1% difference. MM is very beloved among LoZ fans, which is my point.

I guess my example though was kind of lame so I'll give a real unpopular opinion: Sonic 06 is a good game.
Define "good."

Last edited:

TacoLord9000

Smash Cadet
Define "good."
I don't actually think Sonic 06 is a good game however there are a few people that liked this game. How do they like it? I have no idea.

I actually went through the game and beat it this year and it was a pretty miserable experience for reasons that are not hard to look up on the internet. However for their sake I'll pretend I like this game. Though to be honest there are some aspects I liked about the game such as the music, playing as Blaze, the cutscene where Shadow uses Chaos Control to kick Silver in the back of the head, and I guess the final boss wasn't really that bad either, it was glitch free at least which is saying a lot when talking about this game.

So I define good as someone enjoyed the game on a moderate level. While this definition is rather ambiguous at the same time it's not like rating video games as good or bad is exactly objective. However this "good" is not "universal good" and should not be confused with one another. Universal good is the game was enjoyed at a moderate level by the majority of a common gaming audience. Sonic 06 fails miserably in that department.

I'll give a better example: Sonic Adventure. When Sonic Adventure was first released it was considered one of the better games on the Dreamcast and most people would consider the game to be very good if not amazing.
However in more recent days people tend to review Sonic Adventure much more harshly since they claim the game does not age well. They cite that the game has a lot of camera problems which I don't recall ever having much of. Perhaps since it was the first video game I ever played and in my top 10 video games, I wear nostalgia glasses when playing this game and subconsciously overlook it.

So while Sonic Adventure definitely was a universally good game in the past, today that distinction is in danger. In my opinion it is silly and unfair to rate an older game by today's standard because it has always been my opinion that graphics are not a determining factor of what makes a game good or not.

I don't see people saying Ocarina of Time isn't a good game, and ignoring the 3ds remake, you could argue the game hasn't aged well either. I mean the Water Temple is the most tedious and annoying temple in any Zelda game especially for a new player. However I don't see people saying that the original Ocarina of Time is suddenly not a masterpiece after 15+ years.

What is your opinion on a game losing its popularity over time? Can a game really go from being very good to tolerable?
Does the game itself become unpopular once a newer audience of gamers is issued in?

Last edited:

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
So while Sonic Adventure definitely was a universally good game in the past, today that distinction is in danger. In my opinion it is silly and unfair to rate an older game by today's standard because it has always been my opinion that graphics are not a determining factor of what makes a game good or not.
I think graphics are the least of Sonic Adventure's problems. Its real problem is that most of the characters' levels are pretty bad. To be honest, it sort of mystifies me that the game was as well received as it was. But whatevs. I think it's a fine game, just not a great or even good game.

Also, I would argue that a game's graphics should at least be serviceable, but what qualifies as "serviceable" obviously varies from person to person. For me, if I can more or less tell what's going on and the frame rate isn't too bad, that's pretty much all it takes. Anything else is gravy, but anything less weakens immersion.

TacoLord9000

Smash Cadet
I think graphics are the least of Sonic Adventure's problems. Its real problem is that most of the characters' levels are pretty bad.
The only levels I didn't enjoy were Big's. I can understand why people didn't enjoy Amy or Knuckles's stories though.

To be honest, it sort of mystifies me that the game was as well received as it was. But whatevs. I think it's a fine game, just not a great or even good game.
Well it was well received because it was Sonic's first venture into the 3D world and it excited people just like Super Mario 64 had. It also brought Sonic out of his coma that he had been in since Sonic 3 and Knuckles was the last good Sonic game at that time.
This game was released in 1999 and it absolutely captivated my very young self. I view it the same way today because it brings back feelings of nostalgia.

Also, I would argue that a game's graphics should at least be serviceable, but what qualifies as "serviceable" obviously varies from person to person. For me, if I can more or less tell what's going on and the frame rate isn't too bad, that's pretty much all it takes. Anything else is gravy, but anything less weakens immersion.
Nothing in this game other than Big's story weakens immersion into the game IMO.
Is it really fair though to give the game 6/10 nowadays because it hasn't aged well? I mean IMO Ocarina of Time is still a 10/10 even though it has the Water Temple and numerous glitches.

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
Nothing in this game other than Big's story weakens immersion into the game IMO.
Is it really fair though to give the game 6/10 nowadays because it hasn't aged well? I mean IMO Ocarina of Time is still a 10/10 even though it has the Water Temple and numerous glitches.
I didn't say Sonic Adventure had bad graphics. It doesn't. I was just saying that I feel that graphics are still relevant, to some degree, when speaking about the quality of a game.

And no, I don't think Sonic Adventure hasn't aged well. I think it has aged fine. It was just never good in the first place.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
To me, it's less what LPers do, and more how they got popular. Like it's gotten to the point to where putting any effort into anything is absolutely worthless when you can just scream into a camera over some ****ty horror game on Steam and get millions of views. Oh sure people like PewDiePie or Markiplier get their share of scorn and hatred, but that doesn't matter as they'll have millions of others defending them like the sacred cows they are.

Oh sure don't get me wrong, there are still decent LPers out there, and it's not like making a video doesn't require effort (far from it). But when screaming and yelling gets in more views than actually talking about the damn game, it's understandable why it's become the peanut gallery it is.

Blue Ninjakoopa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlueNinjakoopa
3DS FC
3265-5187-8163
Oh man, I have quite a few unpopular opinions.

I think Pokemon Red, Blue, and Yellow Versions were horrible games not worth playing. They were glitchfests, and the glitches weren't even interesting except for the Hyper Beam glitch (Missingno is overrated). Yellow had nice visuals (look at Machamp in Red/Blue, then look at Machamp in Yellow lol), but that's all it had over the other games.

Super Mario 64 DS is a better game than the original imo. It had a lot more content (including multiplayer) and was much more challenging if you didn't abuse Luigi's backflip to get around... well, anything.

Mario Kart 64 sucked (sucks). The game has aged very poorly; 2D on 3D is awful on the eyes (even back then it was barely impressive) and the physics are wonky. The items were programmed incorrectly and thus behave strangely (ever shoot a red shell, then it ****ing turns around and hits you?), though the balance was pretty good (you could get mushrooms in 4th place). I can't stay interested in this game for more than 15 minutes, even if I'm playing with other people. The battle mode is great on paper but it's awkward because of the game's weird physics. The soundtrack and English voice cast were great, though. In my opinion, Diddy Kong Racing is the much better late 90's racing game. Even Hotwheels Turbo Racing is better.

Mario Party 1 is one of the worst in the series, I'd even rank it lower than Mario Party 4 (but still above 9, Advance, and 10). Most of the minigames are annoying (except for the ones that made it to the sequel, including Mushroom Mixup, which became Hexagon Heat) and the boards are very poorly designed. Mario Party 2 is a gigantic improvement and I'm glad it was chosen to be released on the Virtual Console.

Melee SD Remix is a step in the right direction, I'm not sure why character balance is such an unpopular idea. I know it can never truly be achieved as long as characters in a game are different (especially with so many characters), but giving the bad characters in Melee options to help deal with Fox is a good thing. We should embrace mods like SD Remix and Brawl Minus, not **** on them.

Mario Party 8 is great, as are 7, 6, 5 (marginally), and 4 (marginally). 8 and all the GameCube ones are better than 1.

I liked the Animal Friends from Kirby's Dream Land 2 and 3, they should return.

The third Generation of Pokemon has the best-designed Pokemon, and they have the best names. Gen III also has the best starters design- and function-wise overall (though I think the Squirtle and Turtwig families are the best ever).

I think Kirby Air Ride is a good game.

I think Star Fox: Assault is a good game.

I think Pokemon Battle Revolution is a good game.

98% of the time, remakes are better than the original (referring to games).

Sonic Adventure 2: Battle is great, but so is Sonic Battle for the GBA. A really good fighter with interesting physics. I would play it competitively tbh, though everyone would hate me because I main Chaos with an E-102 second and the latter's dash attack is pretty busted (the former's moves just overrode everyone else's because they covered such a wide area and dealt insane amounts of damage).

finalark

SNORLAX
I'll give a better example: Sonic Adventure. When Sonic Adventure was first released it was considered one of the better games on the Dreamcast and most people would consider the game to be very good if not amazing.
However in more recent days people tend to review Sonic Adventure much more harshly since they claim the game does not age well. They cite that the game has a lot of camera problems which I don't recall ever having much of. Perhaps since it was the first video game I ever played and in my top 10 video games, I wear nostalgia glasses when playing this game and subconsciously overlook it.
As someone who grew up with the Adventure series and still loves playing them from time to time, I can confirm that yes, Sonic Adventure has not aged well. Back in '99 the game was actually considered a step above very good, most considered it amazing. But years later, around the time the game got a digital rerelease, a lot of people went back and revisited it with a different mindset and found that there were a ton of things they didn't like about the game.

And honestly, they're not unjustified. As someone who loves Sonic and still frequently plays his games, I could probably write an entire book on why Sonic Adventure doesn't hold up over a decade later.

I'm pretty sure nobody is talking about graphics when they talk about how well something has aged (unless the graphics in question are incredibly unpleasant to look at). Most of the time it's game play and design related.

I don't see people saying Ocarina of Time isn't a good game, and ignoring the 3ds remake, you could argue the game hasn't aged well either. I mean the Water Temple is the most tedious and annoying temple in any Zelda game especially for a new player. However I don't see people saying that the original Ocarina of Time is suddenly not a masterpiece after 15+ years.
Honestly, I think OoT has evaded reevaluation entirely due to cultural reasons. People hold LoZ to a higher standard and criticizing it is something you just don't do.

Sonic, on the other hand, is the jester of the internet. You can make fun of him all you want. Hell, you're expected to. If you don't, or are willing to out yourself as a fan of the series, you can expect to get zero respect no matter how civil you are about it.

No, it's not fair but that's just how things are. That being said, in recent time I've noticed a lot of people have started to go back and take a second look at OoT. Probably because of Egoraptor's video on the subject.

What is your opinion on a game losing its popularity over time? Can a game really go from being very good to tolerable?
Does the game itself become unpopular once a newer audience of gamers is issued in?
Some games just don't age well. As times change so do attitudes and mindsets. It's entirely possible for a once great game to become complete garbage. Goldeneye is a fantastic example of this. In '97 and for years after it was the shining example of a console FPS done right. These days you'll have a hard time finding anyone who will tell you the game is still good unless they're vigilantly nostalgia-blind.

You could blame newer fans for this, but I think it's a combination of that and reevaluation. For years if you had the gall to say that Goldeneye hadn't aged well you'd be copped up like an onion in an infomercial by the gaming community. Then, I'd say around the time the remake came out, opinions started to change. Some fans of the original who were disappointed by the remake went back to replay the original only to find that it really wasn't all the great. Meanwhile, newer gaming fans who were used to FPS' with design made to adhere much better to consoles like Halo or Call of Duty could breathe easy.

To me, it's less what LPers do, and more how they got popular. Like it's gotten to the point to where putting any effort into anything is absolutely worthless when you can just scream into a camera over some ****ty horror game on Steam and get millions of views. Oh sure people like PewDiePie or Markiplier get their share of scorn and hatred, but that doesn't matter as they'll have millions of others defending them like the sacred cows they are.
I actually used to really like Markiplier. I felt like his early work was genuine, he had a lot of funny and quotable moments, always reacted appropriately to horror games and had a likable personality. Unfortunately, as his subscriber count went up so did his reactions. I feel like he's kind of turned into a generic "overreact to everything" LPer with his saving grace being his absolutely sexy voice personality.

Last edited:

TacoLord9000

Smash Cadet
I think Pokemon Red, Blue, and Yellow Versions were horrible games not worth playing. They were glitchfests, and the glitches weren't even interesting except for the Hyper Beam glitch (Missingno is overrated). Yellow had nice visuals (look at Machamp in Red/Blue, then look at Machamp in Yellow lol), but that's all it had over the other games.
They were good at the time they were made because no one really cared that the game was horribly balanced. However I think pokemon fans view the game negatively nowadays. So I don't really consider that an unpopular opinion.

I mean the Psychic type was very broken even more so than Meta Knight in brawl. Mewtwo in the Gen 1 metagame is without doubt the strongest pokemon of all time.

Moves like wrap were also poorly designed and there is a RNG chance that you will never be able to attack. Freeze also was a completely broken status condition since it basically meant a death sentence since the only way you can get out if you opponent is dumb enough to use a fire type move on you.

Also the Speical stat represented both Special Attack and Special Defense so it was a completely broken stat to have a lot of. Chansey in Gen 1 is actually better than Blissey in Gen 2 because of this.

The dragon types and ghost types were also useless in those games considering that there was only move for each type and one evolutionary chain for each.

Thankfully Gen 2 fixed a lot of these problems and this is why Pokemon ultimately had the potential to have a legitimate metagame.
Super Mario 64 DS is a better game than the original imo. It had a lot more content (including multiplayer) and was much more challenging if you didn't abuse Luigi's backflip to get around... well, anything.
I certainly found the DS version more easier to control than the original so I don't really think this is an unpopular opinion either, however I would say that the 64 version was more well received at the time it came out.
Melee SD Remix is a step in the right direction, I'm not sure why character balance is such an unpopular idea. I know it can never truly be achieved as long as characters in a game are different (especially with so many characters), but giving the bad characters in Melee options to help deal with Fox is a good thing. We should embrace mods like SD Remix and Brawl Minus, not **** on them.
Since there are always forum posts about making the frozen pokmeon stadium legal with the 20XX Mod, I would say replace SD remix with melee.

If we are willing to make compromises to the original game then we might as well go all the way and I don't think Nintendo really cares either way.

It's unfair that only certain characters are viable in my opinion, of course I'm biased with this assessment since I'm a Zelda main but I think my point is still legitimate.

However I think it is also equally legitimate to leave the game as it is, but I want no part of this half-way changing the original game. Either change the game completely to make low tiers viable or don't change it at all and leave it in its original form.
I liked the Animal Friends from Kirby's Dream Land 2 and 3, they should return.

The third Generation of Pokemon has the best-designed Pokemon, and they have the best names. Gen III also has the best
starters design- and function-wise overall (though I think the Squirtle and Turtwig families are the best ever).

I think Kirby Air Ride is a good game.

I think Star Fox: Assault is a good game.

I think Pokemon Battle Revolution is a good game
Yeah I also think 3rd gen was the best but I think 2nd gen could contest for that as well.

Kirby Air Ride is a very underrated game, I dream that one day the sequel will come out.

Star Fox Assault multiplayer was good, the single player was kind of lame.

Pokemon Battle Revolution is good visually but it was pretty lame since it was so inferior to both Colosseum and XD: Gale of Darkness, games the had come before it.
As someone who grew up with the Adventure series and still loves playing them from time to time, I can confirm that yes, Sonic Adventure has not aged well. Back in '99 the game was actually considered a step above very good, most considered it amazing. But years later, around the time the game got a digital rerelease, a lot of people went back and revisited it with a different mindset and found that there were a ton of things they didn't like about the game.

And honestly, they're not unjustified. As someone who loves Sonic and still frequently plays his games, I could probably write an entire book on why Sonic Adventure doesn't hold up over a decade later.
Well people liking it or not liking it doesn't really affect my enjoyment of the game so it doesn't really matter to me. I agree that the game certainly has significant flaws but my genuine enjoyment of the game overrides this most of the time.

I think that Sonic Adventure and its sequel are the best 3D Sonic games followed by Generations (I haven't played Colors). Unleashed and Heroes were a mixed bag. I haven't played Lost World but I heard it wasn't that great. I pretend that Sonic Boom doesn't exist.

One day I hope SEGA will rise out of its coma, but I heard they fired a lot of their employees and are focusing on mobile games so it may not ever happen. My dream is to one day play Sonic Adventure 3, however I know that is wishful thinking at best.

Honestly, I think OoT has evaded reevaluation entirely due to cultural reasons. People hold LoZ to a higher standard and criticizing it is something you just don't do.

Sonic, on the other hand, is the jester of the internet. You can make fun of him all you want. Hell, you're expected to. If you don't, or are willing to out yourself as a fan of the series, you can expect to get zero respect no matter how civil you are about it.

No, it's not fair but that's just how things are. That being said, in recent time I've noticed a lot of people have started to go back and take a second look at OoT. Probably because of Egoraptor's video on the subject.
Yeah the Sonic fanbase is perhaps the most infamous fanbase on the internet only trumped by the My Little Pony fanbase. However this is primarily a result of SEGA's failure to deliver what the fans really want. Just because you listened to a few fans saying that they wanted Sonic to have a gun doesn't mean you need to make the Shadow the Hedgehog video game.

Yeah I think there needs to be more objectivity in discussing video games and Egoraptor does a good job of this. However liking or not liking is a completely subjective thing so it becomes kind of complicated in that regard.

Some games just don't age well. As times change so do attitudes and mindsets. It's entirely possible for a once great game to become complete garbage. Goldeneye is a fantastic example of this. In '97 and for years after it was the shining example of a console FPS done right. These days you'll have a hard time finding anyone who will tell you the game is still good unless they're vigilantly nostalgia-blind.

You could blame newer fans for this, but I think it's a combination of that and reevaluation. For years if you had the gall to say that Goldeneye hadn't aged well you'd be copped up like an onion in an infomercial by the gaming community. Then, I'd say around the time the remake came out, opinions started to change. Some fans of the original who were disappointed by the remake went back to replay the original only to find that it really wasn't all the great. Meanwhile, newer gaming fans who were used to FPS' with design made to adhere much better to consoles like Halo or Call of Duty could breathe easy.
So you think certain series or certain genres are immune to this aging effect?
For example most agree that Chrono Trigger is one of the greatest video games of all time. I also agree with this sentiment, it is one of the few games that comes close to becoming literature. I think even 20 years from now Chrono Trigger will still be considered a masterpiece.
I think FPS games tend to not age well because it is genre that is more reliant on good graphics in order to better immerse into the game. However I think most people would still stay Half-Life 1 and 2 were both very good games.

Last edited:
My dream is to one day play Sonic Adventure 3, however I know that is wishful thinking at best.
Listen.

Lemme tell you about this game.

For example most agree that Chrono Trigger is one of the greatest video games of all time. I also agree with this sentiment, it is one of the few games that comes close to becoming literature. I think even 20 years from now Chrono Trigger will still be considered a masterpiece.
I think FPS games tend to not age well because it is genre that is more reliant on good graphics in order to better immerse into the game. However I think most people would still stay Half-Life 1 and 2 were both very good games.
Some genres tend to age better than others, but I dunno if any one genre is immune to aging. RPGs on the whole last a lot longer than stuff like FPS, but there are certainly ones that have aged badly. Even though game feel isn't really a thing in RPGs, other mechanics like random encounters (and high encounter rates) are generally considered to be outdated concepts. Like, I can recommend Persona 4 to anybody, but Persona 2 is a "Well, if you're into old-school RPGs..."

That said, I can't think of a single puzzle game that hasn't aged well. There's probably one out there, though.

Last edited:

TacoLord9000

Smash Cadet
Listen.

Lemme tell you about this game.
Sonic 06 is not Sonic Adventure 3. Sonic 06 was suppose to be the reboot of Sonic that would breathe new life into the series, however it ended up bringing out the next dark age. While it does borrows concepts from the first two adventure games it really is nothing like them. Sonic 06 also never really happened since the timeline is erased at the end of the game. In SA1 and SA2 that does not happen. If Sega had wanted to call the game Sonic Adventure 3 then they would have done so. The company decides the titles of the games not the fans.
That said, I can't think of a single puzzle game that hasn't aged well. There's probably one out there, though.
Yeah Tetris hasn't really aged at all, many people still play it.

vexoskeleton

Smash Apprentice
Many people like melee because it isnt sf4 or pm. we don't want constant updates and changes and if we have been playing the game for 15 years we don't need a new version now.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Mario Strikers: Charged was easily the best Mario sports game. It bugs me that they never made a sequel.

finalark

SNORLAX
Well people liking it or not liking it doesn't really affect my enjoyment of the game so it doesn't really matter to me. I agree that the game certainly has significant flaws but my genuine enjoyment of the game overrides this most of the time.
This is the proper way to enjoy video games.

I think that Sonic Adventure and its sequel are the best 3D Sonic games followed by Generations (I haven't played Colors). Unleashed and Heroes were a mixed bag. I haven't played Lost World but I heard it wasn't that great. I pretend that Sonic Boom doesn't exist.
I'd argue that Colors and Generations are the best 3D Sonic game. Since everything from Adventure-Unleashed either hasn't aged well or is bad I can't really see myself recommending them to anybody. I actually liked Lost World, but it's a really hit and miss kind of game.

Thankfully, Boom is a spin-off, not a main series game.

One day I hope SEGA will rise out of its coma, but I heard they fired a lot of their employees and are focusing on mobile games so it may not ever happen. My dream is to one day play Sonic Adventure 3, however I know that is wishful thinking at best.
Sonic '06 is the closest we'll ever get to SA3.

And I wouldn't ever bet on SEGA making any kind of comeback. In their entire the only time they were ever competent was in the Dreamcast era.

Yeah the Sonic fanbase is perhaps the most infamous fanbase on the internet only trumped by the My Little Pony fanbase. However this is primarily a result of SEGA's failure to deliver what the fans really want. Just because you listened to a few fans saying that they wanted Sonic to have a fun doesn't mean you need to make the Shadow the Hedgehog video game.
The issue with Sonic is that fans can't agree on what they really want. So whatever SEGA decides to with the series is irreverent.

Yeah I think there needs to be more objectivity in discussing video games and Egoraptor does a good job of this. However liking or not liking is a completely subjective thing so it becomes kind of complicated in that regard.
I actually don't agree with Egoraptor's videos. Especially since he never actually compares the games he's discussing. He just treats one like its the second coming of Christ and then damns the other like its Hitler.

As radio silent radio silent said, puzzle games seem to hold up pretty well. Probably has to do with their simplicity.

I wouldn't say CT comes close to literature, but I will say it's an awesome game because it throws so many irksome JPRG design choices out the window to make the game as masterfully paced and plotted as it is. There's no padding, all of the characters are worth using, there's no grinding (unless you choose to) and the game isn't dauntingly long.

Okay, no genre relies on graphics to be good and to say that FPS' do is just ignorance. HL1+2 are loved because they are good games (although HL1 is really starting to age in some places with its poorly implemented platforming segments, excessive padding in some parts and absolutely terrible final level). I've talked to people who thought that HL2 came in 2008 or 2009. Given that it's a game from 2004 should be a testament to how well the game holds up.

The only time that FPS' relied on graphics was when they were fixated on set pieces in the late 2000s/early 10s. And that's not limited to FPS', every AAA game had a thing for it.

Marrow

Speak softly and carry a Thick Club
3DS FC
1993-9950-1450
I'd say my unpopular opinion is that Shovel Knight isn't as great as people say it is. Don't get me wrong, I really like it and it's definitely quality.However it's not, and I quote, "the best pile of code ever unscrambled into an executable format"

Last edited:

vexoskeleton

Smash Apprentice
I'd say my unpopular opinion is that Shovel Knight isn't as great as people say it is. Don't get me wrong, I really like it and it's definitely quality.However it's not, and I quote, "the best pile of code ever unscrambled into an executable format"
I never got the appeal of shovel knight, I think it looks good graphics wise but playing it never felt satisfying. I like games like mario, megaman, etc. too but shovel knight's gameplay just doesn't click with me.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Shovel Knight to me is a lot like Mother 3. it's a good game, hell it's a great one. But I feel that many tend to hype it up as something bigger. Like somehow this is indie Messiah we've been looking for. When honestly it's just another decent 2D retro indie platformer.

But then again, we all kinda do that every now and then. I think it's safe to say that we've all held up something whether it be a game, movie, book, such and such much higher than maybe we should. And it's not like I can't see where they're coming from; There's a reason why it's liked so much. It's just I wouldn't go as far as to say it's the perfect game known to man (or as some have been calling it, up there if not better than the likes of the gaming titans themselves).

Iceweasel

Smash Ace

I usually can't and still despise LPs.

Danny of AD 1

Smash Apprentice
Actually he has been at least to my knowledge of him a weak character mk is 35 of 38 on my personal tier list I do not see any good aspects of mk that make him broken as for brawl being better than melee it is more accommodating to beginners and it has higher review scores than melee the see and stage builder

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
Actually he has been at least to my knowledge of him a weak character mk is 35 of 38 on my personal tier list I do not see any good aspects of mk that make him broken as for brawl being better than melee it is more accommodating to beginners and it has higher review scores than melee the see and stage builder
Two things.

1) You've obviously never played against a good Meta Knight. Frankly, I guarantee your "personal tier list" is way off. There's nothing you're seeing that pros and the rest of the community are blind to.
2) Metacritic often has significant differences in score and perception by devoted fans. See: Metal Gear Solid 4.

Bonus thing:

Consider punctuation.

Last edited:

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
He has crazy move priority, he can recover from nearly anywhere, he has practically no startup/endlag, his frame data is impeccable in general, and he is one of the few characters that can combo decently well in Brawl. Also, Brawl is still the best game content-wise in my opinion, but Melee's higher skillcap, fluidity, and speed make it the superior game in terms of gameplay.

Also some people have no nose due to injury
How is this related to gaming?

windlessusher

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hakudamashi
3DS FC
3050-7676-0039
I actually quite adore the cast of Sonic the Hedgehog, With the exception of more or less all the humans sans Eggman, and Black Doom, I find their various personalities and quirks to range from entertaining to charming, more so when they're interacting with each other.

Danny of AD 1

Smash Apprentice
He has crazy move priority, he can recover from nearly anywhere, he has practically no startup/endlag, his frame data is impeccable in general, and he is one of the few characters that can combo decently well in Brawl. Also, Brawl is still the best game content-wise in my opinion, but Melee's higher skillcap, fluidity, and speed make it the superior game in terms of gameplay.

How is this related to gaming?
The second was actually a response to someone else's post

Danny of AD 1

Smash Apprentice
If meta knight were really that good why doesn't he cause the game to crash he's not broken in the game breaking sense he might be op to some but a his damage output is horrible and b I don't like using him he's a weak character when I use him despite matchup data he still is purely situational only outranking characters who are the absolute bottom of the barrel he initially was higher but after getting better with nearly every single character he fell 23 ranks and will probably go down to 37 of 38 he really is that bad I mean of the three that are below him only one is truly worse ice climbers

TacoLord9000

Smash Cadet
If meta knight were really that good why doesn't he cause the game to crash he's not broken in the game breaking sense he might be op to some but a his damage output is horrible and b I don't like using him he's a weak character when I use him despite matchup data he still is purely situational only outranking characters who are the absolute bottom of the barrel he initially was higher but after getting better with nearly every single character he fell 23 ranks and will probably go down to 37 of 38 he really is that bad I mean of the three that are below him only one is truly worse ice climbers
I'm not sure if you are trolling or not, but if not I don't think you understand what a tier list actually is. It has nothing to do with how good you are at a character. Just because my best character in melee is Zelda does not mean she is the best character in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom