• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are your thoughts on Spirit Mode?

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
It's not Tabuu, it's a new enemy called Galleem.
Yeah, heard about that. I feel like it's either another incarnation of Tabuu or just a name to hide the "surprise." Because like I said, it's coming from the dimensional hole or whatever where the Isle of Ancients used to be when it got obliterated by Subspace Bombs:

So it's connected to Tabuu, or at least Subspace, in some form. The wings and Master Hands are also evidence of this, since Tabuu had fancy wings as well (though not the same style), and he was controlling Master Hand.

Either it's Tabuu but powered up, or it's something in Subspace above Tabuu.

Arthur97

Smash Master
I don't see a problem with Kirby being the lead. As someone pointed out, he is Sakurai's creation and Smash is his project. Smash is largely what it is thanks to the Kirby series, as they influenced its gameplay and mechanics. This is just seems like a logical conclusion to me.
But he's handling a lot of other creations, and several of them are more important. This is after all, a Nintendo game.
At least Kirby has a reason for his escape. He's using the warp star. If Sonic couldn't escape, then no one slower than him could.
Do we even have a speed for the Warp Star? Besides, Sonic was distracted trying to save Pikachu it seems while Kirby saved his own bacon.

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
But he's handling a lot of other creations, and several of them are more important. This is after all, a Nintendo game.

Do we even have a speed for the Warp Star? Besides, Sonic was distracted trying to save Pikachu it seems while Kirby saved his own bacon.
Kirby broke the light barrier, that's why he vanished, Sonic can't go that fast.

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Wait so is adventure mode its own thing were you can also unlock spirits as rewards or is part of spirits mode along side the spirit board challenge thing

Arthur97

Smash Master
Kirby broke the light barrier, that's why he vanished, Sonic can't go that fast.
Gonna need some proof about the light barrier thing.
Wait so is adventure mode its own thing were you can also unlock spirits as rewards or is part of spirits mode along side the spirit board challenge thing
I think the story mode is separate from the challenge mode.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
Possibly the least fun looking single-player mode in any Smash game to date honestly. Maybe it will surprise me, but I doubt it right now.
I'm not very interested. It looks like glorified event match mode. I'll play it for the sake of completion sake and to see whatever cutscenes are in the game if any more than what we already saw, but this isn't quite the adventure mode I was hoping for. I love to be surprised with some platforming beat him up segments, but right now it just looks like event match with a couple of boxes thrown in.
That's likely why I'm not very excited for it, it's basically Event mode, which though fun, isn't really a new mode, which Spirits was touted as.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
After seeing the video, I am under the impression that you'll have to start the adventure as Kirby, and have to acquire everyone else by progressing through the game.

Also, with Galleom back, this could mean that some of the other Subspace Emissary bosses may return as well.

ZeroJinKui

Smash Journeyman
It's less than I was expecting. My hope was for a Melee-style Adventure Mode with levels, enemies, and other content based on the different game franchises. That or something nonlinear like the Great Maze in SSE, which is still a reasonable size, since it's not a full story mode with cinematics and everything. At the very least, something like a bigger and better Smash Run.

Instead, the only unique environments seem to be for bosses, e.g. Dracula and Rathalos. Everything else is just the normal stages. They got creative with the stage modifiers and spirit challenges, though. Gordo being three invisible Dededes that spam Side-B is hilarious, and Hal Emmerich being a Dr. Mario with a large metal R.O.B. is clever.

But then that cinematic trailer at the end sold me on it. I haven't gotten that emotional in a while. "Come on Kirby, you can make it!" And then he does, but he's the only survivor. And then that music. Chills.

At that point is when they reveal that there is a progression to the mode, with a really neat map that is actually creative, yet very simple and not taxing on development. Plus, we're getting more boss battles, including old ones like Galleom.

It's also a sequel to SSE, even if it's not as grand. That cliff is the one from Brawl, where the characters are in the intro and then at the end of the game. Where the huge wings are coming out of are where the Isle of the Ancients once was in SSE, but then it got consumed by the huge SSE portal, and when the SSE portal was closed, that big X was left in its place. It seems like Tabuu is still alive and is coming back for Round 2, bigger and badder than ever. Can't wait to take him down with Dark Samus and R.O.B.
it does look like a sequel to SSE now that you mention it... it looked pretty awesome, actually. ^_^

i am definitely interested in playing it, i just hope it won't be too difficult.

but it also leaves me wondering... who is gonna be the boss in classic mode?

there were so many hands shown, and then they all turned into those spirit tendrils... are master and crazy hand gone?

Crystanium

Smash Hero
No. However, given that in the source material Kirby travels through space, he has to at least reach speeds to get from one location to the next. Space is huge. Just the distance between the Earth and the Moon is 238,900 miles apart. If you could travel ten times the speed of sound (7,680 mi/h), it would take 1 day, 7 hours, 6 minutes, and 24.38 seconds to reach the Moon. I understand the distances on Kirby's universe may be different. They might be closer, but they also might be farther. Even then, those beams were moving faster than Kirby's warp star. He just happened to dodge them, due to plot armor. If Samus was given the same treatment, hers would make sense. Her ship has traveled outside of galaxies, and her universe more closely resembles ours.

After seeing the video, I am under the impression that you'll have to start the adventure as Kirby, and have to acquire everyone else by progressing through the game.

Also, with Galleom back, this could mean that some of the other Subspace Emissary bosses may return as well.
Did you mean Galeem? I kept getting Galleom, but then I tried two L's, one E and then two E's and one L.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
No. However, given that in the source material Kirby travels through space, he has to at least reach speeds to get from one location to the next. Space is huge. Just the distance between the Earth and the Moon is 238,900 miles apart. If you could travel ten times the speed of sound (7,680 mi/h), it would take 1 day, 7 hours, 6 minutes, and 24.38 seconds to reach the Moon. I understand the distances on Kirby's universe may be different. They might be closer, but they also might be farther. Even then, those beams were moving faster than Kirby's warp star. He just happened to dodge them, due to plot armor. If Samus was given the same treatment, hers would make sense. Her ship has traveled outside of galaxies, and her universe more closely resembles ours.

Did you mean Galeem? I kept getting Galleom, but then I tried two L's, one E and then two E's and one L.
Sonic can book it though. Problem is, you can't really compare as he can't run to other planets.

Also, what about Falco and the Arwing? Not only are those thing potentially interplanetary, he's an ace pilot.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Sonic can book it though. Problem is, you can't really compare as he can't run to other planets.

Also, what about Falco and the Arwing? Not only are those thing potentially interplanetary, he's an ace pilot.
Well, if Sonic enters his super form, he'd be capable of flight. The funny thing is that in reality, if you could reach those incredibly high speeds, you wouldn't be running anymore. You'd literally be jumping right out of the planet. Any observer would think you were flying.

As for Falco's arwing, arwings travel Mach 4.2 in the atmosphere. I'm not sure why it's phrase that why. I know that the speed of sound is lower at high altitudes than it is at sea level.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Well, if Sonic enters his super form, he'd be capable of flight. The funny thing is that in reality, if you could reach those incredibly high speeds, you wouldn't be running anymore. You'd literally be jumping right out of the planet. Any observer would think you were flying.

As for Falco's arwing, arwings travel Mach 4.2 in the atmosphere. I'm not sure why it's phrase that why. I know that the speed of sound is lower at high altitudes than it is at sea level.
Well, Super Sonic could theoretically teleport instantaneously, so his speed doesn't matter that much. Maybe it's the shoes.

Okay, so they apparently aren't as fast in air. Though, the space fairing ships are likely using some form of hyperdrive anyway so their actual speed may not need to be so ridiculous.

Oh, and for the person asking about the hands, I hope the OG hands come in and help save the day at the end.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Falco has had his off days though. Just look back at Star Fox Assault, where Fox often had to save Falco from enemy attacks.

Last edited:

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
The map looks awesome. The levels looks like Events Mode... With some bosses around. It will probably be very fun, but I was expecting something more... connected...

Arthur97

Smash Master
Oh, and bad news for the Shulk theory as I think he's one of the duplicates in the very ominous shot.

Another oddity, both the male and female Inkling are featured, but only the female WFT and default Pokemon trainer and villager appear.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
At this point I guess we do only start off with Kirby then.

I know it would had been impossible but I still feel Mario should had escaped alongside Kirby. It only makes so much sense...

Arthur97

Smash Master
At this point I guess we do only start off with Kirby then.

I know it would had been impossible but I still feel Mario should had escaped alongside Kirby. It only makes so much sense...
Nah, Game & Watch is 2D, maybe he was just too hard to hit and I doubt they were all there. Villains and echoes (minus Dark Pit) to the rescue?

Is kind of a bummer that they're sticking with trophies.

Blu99

S***post King
Switch FC
SW-7236-2735-6407
I am really looking forward to Spirits mode, if it has cutscenes then I'm sold, however it did say "Not Gameplay Footage" at the bottom when the trailer started

If we start off with Kirby, and this is a two player mode, I would take it as read that we would play as two Kirby's, unless this mode is single player and Spirits has a separate multiplayer mode?

Scarlet Spyder

Smash Cadet
I'm excited! It already seems more organized than custom boosts were in Smash 4 and the Adventure Mode (map especially) looked promising. It combines a lot of modes that I wouldn't normally play into an RPG-like format that actually interests me.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Of course, we only saw Snake's box, what if it was just a decoy? He may have a clone in the shot too though.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
  • Spirits themselves:
Aesthetically, i think they're a downgrade from trophies. But logically it's actually a pretty smart decision to make them like this.
They fulfill the role of a collectible and a video game museum that trophies used to fill, but without having to hog development time like before, specially since there's bound to be at least a thousand spirits. It also doesn't limit them to make profiles only for recent games on Nintendo consoles where they had access to the models they wanted to use.

• Spirit Battles:
Once again, aesthetically, these are kind of a downgrade from event matches, i've never been a fan of all these stat buffs/debuffs clogging the UI and it seems unintuitive at a first glance. However these could actually be more fun event matches, essentially being themed fights.
We got an example of this where we saw a fight for the Imprisoned spirit, represented by a giant K. Rool, being defended by Ghirahim's assist trophy. Capitalizing on the new mechanic of being able to KO assist trophies is a great idea since it expands the possibilities for these fights and makes Assist Trophies, Pokémon and other items feel like a more worthwhile inclusion.

• World of Light:
I'm really glad to have some sort of story mode back, but from what i've seen so far, i have some worries.

* Potential cons:
-Non linearity could potentially mean much less cutscenes of characters interacting, taking away one of the most charming elements from the Subspace Emissary.
-From the footage so far it seems like the mode could end up only having battles against characters and bosses, with no plattforming sections, regular enemies, minigames and such. This could make the mode feel stale after a while.
-Having skill trees, character progression and buffs/debuffs could disencourage using a wide variety of characters and, frankly, just feels like unneccesary stuff for a game like this

*Potential Pros:
-Unlike Subsapce, this mode could prove to be a faster and more fun method to unlock the roster.
-The overworld map they're using seems to actually be themed after Nintendo franchises this time around.
- BOSS RUSSSHHHHHH

Last edited:

Jasper the Tourist

Smash Apprentice
Not feeling it. Organized event matches on steroids featuring this weird sticker mechanic. Maybe I’ll comes around, but this kind of thing isn’t why I play Smash. If this had been more similar to SSE or Melee’s Adventure mode, I would have felt differently. Seems like there’s a lot of unnecessary complicated nonsense to go along with it and that’s a turn off for me.

Last edited:

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
It reminded me of the Super Smash RPG idea I came up with in a thread about a spin off series.

Mornal

Smash Cadet
disappointed. It's basically exactly what I predicted except instead of navigating the map in a subspace-esque manner (which was the thing I wanted) you do it in a smash tour-esque manner.

soozafone

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4897-5980-1241
People are acting like Kirby is the main protagonist of World of Light, but he's just the first character you play as. That makes perfect sense mechanically. Kirby is one of the most accessible characters to new players. (Straightforward moveset, multiple jumps make recovery more forgiving, copying other fighters gives you a sense of what others can do, etc...)

Personally I'm excited for Spirits in general. When you were a kid, you didn't have toys of every single character in every series you liked. You played with what you had and you used your imagination to fill in the gaps. Spirit mode is just like that. It's a fun way to incorporate a huge spread of Nintendo characters that wouldn't be worth developing otherwise. Plus, it seems like there's like a bazillion spirits to collect... This mode might not be what we expected but it's definitely not shallow.

J0eyboi

Smash Ace
Yeah, heard about that. I feel like it's either another incarnation of Tabuu or just a name to hide the "surprise." Because like I said, it's coming from the dimensional hole or whatever where the Isle of Ancients used to be when it got obliterated by Subspace Bombs:

So it's connected to Tabuu, or at least Subspace, in some form. The wings and Master Hands are also evidence of this, since Tabuu had fancy wings as well (though not the same style), and he was controlling Master Hand.

Either it's Tabuu but powered up, or it's something in Subspace above Tabuu.
I doubt it's connected to subspace, unless it's its antithesis. The trailer notably contrasts to Subspace in a lot of ways: Galeem glows and is rather angelic, whereas Tabuu is a faded blue in a black void and has a bit of a fallen angel thing going on. Whereas in Subspace, the chunks of the world were the only bright things in an otherwise dark void, when the characters are captured in the trailer, we see only their silhouettes against the beams of light. The clones and mooks in Subspace are made of shadow dust, while the clone of Mario we see made in the trailer appears to form from radiant gold. Rather than being turned into lifeless trophies, the majority of the creatures hit by the beams become luminescent spirits. Basically, it makes no sense for this to be connected to Subspace because it's completely thematically dissonant.

Also, Galeem isn't coming from where the Isle was. The Isle, while it did float, was situated firmly below the cloudline, where as Galeem is shown as descending from above them. He's also a lot closer to the cliff than the Isle was.

Side note: There's nothing above Tabuu in Subspace; that's literally impossible. Tabuu is described as the embodiment of Subspace, meaning he and Subspace are basically the same entity. You don't get more in charge than that.

Matoi

Smash Apprentice
https://mobile.twitter.com/aevanko/status/1058013060319784962?s=21

According to this, world of light is ONLY battles, no platforming stages and no story/cutscenes outside of the opening cinematic.

My hype just died again. All I wanted was some platforming stages and a few more cutscenes. This hurts. Literally the only difference between adventure and spirits is that you move on a map. Wtf?

Last edited:

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
SSE 2.0, will be forgotten in 1-3 months.

I'm just glad we have post-launch balance patches or we'd be RIPE for a MK situation from Brawl as it was the resources dumped into SSE that likely has gave Brawl its awful balance (which Miyamoto actually cautioned Sakurai against doing, IIRC).

Last edited:

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
I doubt it's connected to subspace, unless it's its antithesis. The trailer notably contrasts to Subspace in a lot of ways: Galeem glows and is rather angelic, whereas Tabuu is a faded blue in a black void and has a bit of a fallen angel thing going on. Whereas in Subspace, the chunks of the world were the only bright things in an otherwise dark void, when the characters are captured in the trailer, we see only their silhouettes against the beams of light. The clones and mooks in Subspace are made of shadow dust, while the clone of Mario we see made in the trailer appears to form from radiant gold. Rather than being turned into lifeless trophies, the majority of the creatures hit by the beams become luminescent spirits. Basically, it makes no sense for this to be connected to Subspace because it's completely thematically dissonant.

Also, Galeem isn't coming from where the Isle was. The Isle, while it did float, was situated firmly below the cloudline, where as Galeem is shown as descending from above them. He's also a lot closer to the cliff than the Isle was.

Side note: There's nothing above Tabuu in Subspace; that's literally impossible. Tabuu is described as the embodiment of Subspace, meaning he and Subspace are basically the same entity. You don't get more in charge than that.
I don't think what we see of Galeem right now is his "true" form. Because right now it just looks like an orb with a bunch of curly wings. I'm pretty sure in the final confrontation it'll turn into a different, more distinct form.

You make a good point about the dark/light theme difference. The story is also literally called "World of Light," the song is called "Lifelight," and the name "Galleem" is a play on "gleam". So while Subspace was clearly darkness, if not explicitly so, this is obviously the counterpart to that. Whether there's any relation between Subspace and this "light" force, or Tabuu and Galleem, I guess remains to be seen. Whether connected to Subspace or not, it's clearly playing off of it in some way.

As for the special relations of the isle and stuff, I mean, the cliff's shape isn't the same either. It's totally flat and without anything in the background in Brawl, but in Ultimate, it's got a bit more depth and more cliffs in the background. Galleem being in a different position from the Isle of Ancients doesn't surprise me. Unless all the characters just happen to be assembled on an entirely different cliff overlooking the sea where the enemy of the story enters... then that'll be weird.

https://mobile.twitter.com/aevanko/status/1058013060319784962?s=21

According to this, world of light is ONLY battles, no platforming stages and no story/cutscenes outside of the opening cinematic.

My hype just died again. All I wanted was some platforming stages and a few more cutscenes. This hurts. Literally the only difference between adventure and spirits is that you move on a map. Wtf?
I mean, that was pretty evident from all the footage. All throughout the Spirits explanation I was waiting for there to be any kind of platforming or NPC enemy combat, but it didn't show up. Unfortunately the localization team just butchered the translation.

It's definitely disappointing. I was expecting at the very minimum something like a bigger Smash Run, but nope. Still, they got really creative with what they did do, with the clever fights and map design. I'm looking forward to it. It's gonna have all kinds of boss battles, at least.

Matoi

Smash Apprentice
I don't think what we see of Galeem right now is his "true" form. Because right now it just looks like an orb with a bunch of curly wings. I'm pretty sure in the final confrontation it'll turn into a different, more distinct form.

You make a good point about the dark/light theme difference. The story is also literally called "World of Light," the song is called "Lifelight," and the name "Galleem" is a play on "gleam". So while Subspace was clearly darkness, if not explicitly so, this is obviously the counterpart to that. Whether there's any relation between Subspace and this "light" force, or Tabuu and Galleem, I guess remains to be seen. Whether connected to Subspace or not, it's clearly playing off of it in some way.

As for the special relations of the isle and stuff, I mean, the cliff's shape isn't the same either. It's totally flat and without anything in the background in Brawl, but in Ultimate, it's got a bit more depth and more cliffs in the background. Galleem being in a different position from the Isle of Ancients doesn't surprise me. Unless all the characters just happen to be assembled on an entirely different cliff overlooking the sea where the enemy of the story enters... then that'll be weird.

I mean, that was pretty evident from all the footage. All throughout the Spirits explanation I was waiting for there to be any kind of platforming or NPC enemy combat, but it didn't show up. Unfortunately the localization team just butchered the translation.

It's definitely disappointing. I was expecting at the very minimum something like a bigger Smash Run, but nope. Still, they got really creative with what they did do, with the clever fights and map design. I'm looking forward to it. It's gonna have all kinds of boss battles, at least.
Yeah, map design is cool, I liked seeing the arwing moving around in space and riding the ocean with a laparas. Boss battles should be fun too, but no side scrolling platforming is extremely disappointing. They’ve just been taking single player content in the wrong direction after brawl. They should have built off of SSE instead of scrapping it because “muh cutscenes were leaked online”

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
The spirit battles and adventure mode look much better for pick-up and play. Subspace Emissary's levels often felt too long and you couldn't save your progress mid-level except in the last one.

Top Bottom