• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are your custom controls?

9bit_alt

Banned via Warnings
So Brawl, and therefore Project M, allows the customization of controls. What modifications have you made? Do you stick with the defaults because you're a hardcore Melee player? Do you even use a Gamecube controller!?

I'm not so sure that this goes without saying, so: I use a Gamecube controller and have modified the following buttons:

X: Grab (I exclusively use Y for jump)
Z: Uptaunt / Footstool (I have never liked the Z button on the GCN controller)

My buddy changed L to grab, since he doesn't use it for anything; he uses R for all shielding, L-cancelling, and attempted wavedashing purposes.

I'm sure some of you have made many more changes than this, and I'd be very interested to read about them. People's custom controls has always been a subject that interests me, in any game.

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
I have made no changes. I should however change Y to Footstool as I don't use it ever.

Spiffykins

Smash Ace
Tap jump off, R set to jump. I tried setting Z to attack for DACUSing, but I'm too used to using it to grab so I switched back.

Cydios

Smash Rookie
Standard Gamecube controller setup, X to Uptaunt/footstool. Tap jump on, unless I'm playing link or toon link.

metroid1117

Smash Master
C-stick changed to "Attack" so I can do NAirs while holding a direction on the control stick and have an easier time doing jabs out of dashes.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Y footstool.
I could dabble around with making A Special, B Jump, Y attack, and X Footstool since it lends itself to less thumb movement, but I have far too much muscle memory to switch now.

GMaster171

Smash Ace
R for jump
X for footstool
tap jump on, Iv gotten used to using it for everything: DJC, Waveshine, pretty much everything except normal WDing around.

Mr.Pickle

Smash Lord
R - set to grab, I hate using z to grab, and it still allows me to L cancel.
Z - to attack, for characters that can only use the down cstick/up and attack method of DACUS.
X - footstool/uptaunt - I never used x for anything before, but I still have trouble implementing footstooling :(

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
I'm completely insane.

Tap Jump Off
A - Jump
Y - Attack
X - Special
B - Shield

I... don't entirely remember why I set it up like this. I think it was because I assumed I was more comfortable with WDing/L-Canceling with B, but I just use L for that anyways.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
I'm completely insane.

Tap Jump Off
A - Jump
Y - Attack
X - Special
B - Shield

I... don't entirely remember why I set it up like this. I think it was because I assumed I was more comfortable with WDing/L-Canceling with B, but I just use L for that anyways.
I was just trying something like this out as well- L Footstool, A Jump, Y attack, B Special, X Shield. It works really well but it is a ***** to adjust to after so many years of muscle memory.

EDIT: lol this set up makes waveshines so easy. It's literally hold diagonal down and swipe the thumb to the right for automatic waveshines.

Vashimus

Smash Master
L = Jump
X = Grab
Z = Footstool

Experimented with tap jump off, but I wave-dash with tap jump, so I just learned to use up-tilts ahead of time.

Arcalyth

GLS | root
X = Footstool
R = Attack (for DACUS; I use L for shield, wavedash, L-Cancel, etc)

I used to roll with Melee defaults but I want to try taking advantage of new P:M features. Not like I use those buttons for anything else. :p

Burnsy

Smash Lord
X = Footstool
R = Attack (for DACUS; I use L for shield, wavedash, L-Cancel, etc)

I used to roll with Melee defaults but I want to try taking advantage of new P:M features. Not like I use those buttons for anything else. :p
I use this same set up. Since Lucas DACUS was made much more strict in 2.5, the extra frame of leniency granted by using attack instead of grab is very helpful. Also, if the dacus doesn't come out, you'll only get a dash attack, instead of potentially getting the laggiest dash grab in the game.

Bryonato

Green Hat
Quick question about DACUS... With some characters like Snake/Ganon/Lucas/Wario it is super easy for me to DACUS (with Z set to grab) using Dash -> Cstick down -> Control stick up -> Z. Yet with other characters like Wolf I simply CANNOT DACUS to save my life. Is the input different or something when you use attack instead of grab? Wouldn't make a lot of sense to me for obvious reasons.

Anyways back on topic I have X set to UTaunt/Footstool, R set to attack (for easier rising aerials) and if I'm not playing Ness I have tap jump off

Arcalyth

GLS | root
Quick question about DACUS... With some characters like Snake/Ganon/Lucas/Wario it is super easy for me to DACUS (with Z set to grab) using Dash -> Cstick down -> Control stick up -> Z. Yet with other characters like Wolf I simply CANNOT DACUS to save my life. Is the input different or something when you use attack instead of grab? Wouldn't make a lot of sense to me for obvious reasons.
The only difference in input is that we press R instead of Z at the end. There's some game mechanics that end up giving you some leniency in the frame window for inputting DACUS inputs.

Phantasmagorical

Smash Cadet
I use default controls except Y is set to Attack for easier DACUSing. I can't claw quite enough to hit A with my forefinger and I jump with X.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Classic Controller Pro:

x & a = Jump
y = Special
b = Standard Attacks
L & R = Grab
ZL = Up Taunt
ZR = Grab

And of course the left stick is for moment and right stick for C-Stick. XD

Edit: Tap jump off. Kinda forgot about that.

I've honestly found the CCP to be much more responsive and efficient to use than the Gamecube Controller ever since I switched early last year. I love it. :3

Phaiyte

Smash Ace
non spacies: tap jump on, uptaunt on R so I can footstool and YESknee with Falcon at the same time, extra shield button on X or Y, whatever the gray button is above A. I use it to waveland/dash more frequently than pressing L.

spacies: I switch a and b so I don't have to move my fingers nearly as fast.

Rat

Smash Lord
I've practiced this for a bit.

Javi Claw: (Right hand over buttons: Aka play with finger tips)
Tap jump off
Y = Special
B = Grab

Neat Tick: Roll X,A,B to wavedash. (Holding attack when pressing Z = L)

But I've been doing the regular grip so long it's hard to switch.

Mithost

Smash Ace
Locked in a safe floating in the Atlantic Ocean.
I gotta try that, rat. The easy wavedashes might just be worth relearning some muscle memory.

Current GCC setup:
Y: UpTaunt/Footstool (my un-used jump button)
Tapjump Off
L: Grab (I don't use L very often, but it felt kinda redundant having it on shield)
Rest is default

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
Down-Taunt and Side-Taunt are swapped. So that I can mash the corner of my dpad area with lesser precision when attempting to foot stool. I'm too used to melee controls to change anything. I shffl/djc with X and claw with Y. Need both shield inputs to wd OoS. :(

BryE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ChaserTech
- Changed the R button to Attack to enable for an easier DACUS.
- Changed the X button to Footstool/Uptaunt for easier Footstools.

I thought about taking Tap Jump off but I decided that I need to use it since I often use both forms of jumping pretty often. Especially when I play as Falcon/Snake.

Sugahighsnipa

Smash Cadet
I had Y set to shield as I used to tap jump -> Y to Wavedash but I don't do that anymore so I set it back to standard controls so I can play w/o setting up a name and everything.

Top Bottom