• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are the advantages of the upward tilt versus the short-hopped neutral aerial?

3transfat

Smash Journeyman
Both seem very similar and from my recollections due nearly the same amount of damage. Nair has less lag and can be jumped out of I know, but is there anything else?

Olimarman

Smash Ace
If your just standing there, utilt comes out a tiny bit faster and is more accurate, but not significantly. In most cases, using either is fine.

Dyyne

Smash Ace
It seems like SH/ full jump nair is just more advantageous in every way. For one, the reason you said. Also, because you jump, it allows for a follow-up, where as with the u tilt, oli jumps up and spins around, then just falls down, so you have to wait for the ending lag until you can follow-up. But, like the post above me said, it might come out a bit faster, but I'm not positive about that. They might be equal, but I don't know.

RichBrown

Smash Master
Utilt leads to nair. they aren't mutually exclusive.

while we are on the topic of Utilt, does anyone know if olimar can sidestep-utilt in the fashion that rob does sidestep-dsmash? The idea came to me yesterday but I haven't had time to test it, nor will I have time to test it in the near future.

XienZo

Smash Lord
utilt stops medium-low priority ground moves while nair(due to being an aerial) loses to all long range attacks but has mobility.

I'd say u-tilt for breathing room and nair for the mixed up followups since the physical propeties are quite different.

Jadedlink

Smash Apprentice
I find myself always uptilting whenever I land or an opponent is near. Its just becoming a habit now and is working out well.

Nair is overall better. Nair and Uptilt are basically the same attack, except is nair is mobile.

Fino

Smash Master
uptilt will out prioritize every everything when you go up.
uptilt is also good to finish the 'zori zombo' by that I mean, dtilt dtilt dtilt until you can dtilt no longer, and finish with an uptilt (try to do it before they can DI out of dtilt FOR SURE).
I do like nair though, for many purposes. Utilt is just good to mix things up. And yes, I do believe you can spot dodge to utilt rather quickly (and I do love it).
Utilt is many a GTFO move.

~Fino

BlackWaltzX

Smash Lord
Jab > Uptilt.
do FF nairs to kill moves.
Anything I can think of at the moment that you use uptilt for, you could easily do it with grab or jab.

Dyyne

Smash Ace
A cool thing with up tilt(and a lot of moves, but this is oli's only one) is thatsince he jumps up, it can dodge really low attacks, and you night hit them instead. It would be cool to find out what moves it can dodge.

asob4

Smash Champion
the best thing about utilt is that it beats peach's, wario's, and fox's dair :] and a few others

Fino

Smash Master
yaja skank. tru dat. Every time I play peach/wario I become like a utilt *****.
Also, yes, he does get a small hop over moves, and the falling part is quick enough to punish. infact, if you input a utilt, and R.O.B. does a dsmash, you will actually jump over the dsmash, and hit him on the way down. ;)

~Fino

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
use uptilt when you know you'll hit, which shouldn't be very often at all if your opponent isn't being so predictable. Nair is more for attacking while having manuveuability. -at least from my experience.

RichBrown

Smash Master
Utilt leads to nair. they aren't mutually exclusive.

while we are on the topic of Utilt, does anyone know if olimar can sidestep-utilt in the fashion that rob does sidestep-dsmash? The idea came to me yesterday but I haven't had time to test it, nor will I have time to test it in the near future.
**** you guys someone answer

Iron Asian

Smash Rookie
U-tilt is good when they're approaching from the air, but leaves Oli standing in place. Nair is good when you're trying to combo them in the air, such as Nair>Uair and is more mobile.

Rocann

Smash Lord
nair's best use is definitely falling onto them and canceling it on landing before the main hit, leading into usmash or another quick nair -> uair (or if they're at certain percents straight into uair). this pokes through a lot of people's shields pretty quick. good kill on someone especially like DK who you're really going to need that sweetspot usmash on, you can bait an attack, SHnair at them (people love to spotdodge right after attacks) and bang into usmash.

utilt is meh

RichBrown

Smash Master
So I played a bunch of matches yesterday, and sidestep-uptilt is legit. and it leads to nair. sidestep-Utilt should be abused as much as rob's sidestep-dsmash. :)

geekd

Smash Apprentice
nair's best use is definitely falling onto them and canceling it on landing before the main hit, leading into usmash or another quick nair -> uair (or if they're at certain percents straight into uair). this pokes through a lot of people's shields pretty quick. good kill on someone especially like DK who you're really going to need that sweetspot usmash on, you can bait an attack, SHnair at them (people love to spotdodge right after attacks) and bang into usmash.

utilt is meh
After the autocanceled nair: I usually usmash or dsmash at high percents for the kill -- at low percents I go directly into an utilt (better than nair at this point) cuz its an extra 10% and the most reliable way to continue the combo.

They both break shields and AD well, although you should use nair if they're moving and utilt if they're on top of you.

AD --> utilt works extremely well

They are about the same.
Fail... they are very different. Nair is maneuverable but lacks priority, utilt is static but (much) quicker and has high priority. Each has its own specific use -- they're not interchangable

Top Bottom