• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Whack back that there gordo

Godzillionaire

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Crit-Hit
3DS FC
3797-7329-5972
Hey so in all my time playing as Dedede I've always ran into the problem of which approach is best to reflect back gordos when my opponent reflects them back. I know the game says side b can throw them back but it has too much start up time, would one of the tilts be a better option?

Muskrat Catcher

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4100-0093
Personally, I always use D-tilt. It lasts a pretty long time if you know its coming, and it usually protects you, and you can use it again quickly if you do it too early. I have heard that another option is N-air, but I personally don't like the landing lag, even though it is short, it leaves you wide open to getting nailed in the face.

Mr-Grinch

Smash Rookie
short hop Nair will send it right back to their face. D-Tilt will send it back at a higher angle which may fly over their head.

axelalexzander

Smash Cadet
Dtilt or Nair are the best reflect back options. I've also used Ftilt on occasion.

Last edited:

TheGoolick

Smash Rookie
When I use nair I find that D3 usually goes into the (long and unwanted) "throw back" animation instead of his regular nair. How can I get the standard nair to come out so I can just bounce it back?

axelalexzander

Smash Cadet
When I use nair I find that D3 usually goes into the (long and unwanted) "throw back" animation instead of his regular nair. How can I get the standard nair to come out so I can just bounce it back?
Hit nair earlier. If you hit it too late you'll catch the gordo instead of reflecting it.

Muskrat Catcher

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4100-0093
Someone should start a poll to see how people prefer to hit back gordos, whether its D-tilt, N-air, or something else entirely, it would be interesting to see what people prefer.

Girthquake

Smash Journeyman
NNID
R0cco_Siffredi
Pretty sure what dictates grabbing the gordo or reflecting it is frame dependent on the move you use. Dtilt frame 6 and Nair frame 7. There is literally 0 argument to be made those two are literally the best options. The only other two are fair and bair but those are incredibly situational.

Soul Train

Just laugh.
NNID
JSXian
Pretty sure what dictates grabbing the gordo or reflecting it is frame dependent on the move you use. Dtilt frame 6 and Nair frame 7. There is literally 0 argument to be made those two are literally the best options. The only other two are fair and bair but those are incredibly situational.
D3 automatically grabs the Gordo during all startup frames. Ground or air. This also applies to airdodge, fyi - you can catch with the startup frames of that as well. But catch is a terribly unsafe option anyways, only use as a last resort. Often you're just better off shielding.

And yep, Nair and Dtilt are both great - though 70% of the time Nair is better. It more consistently hits Gordo back at them, covers more Gordo trajectory options, and allows you more approach options as well.

Bair reflect is good primarily against other D3s/anyone trying to use a reflector.

Girthquake

Smash Journeyman
NNID
R0cco_Siffredi
Catching the gordo depends on your spacing. I don't have any tournament play, but I can give you an example against a Ness I played on stream where I catch the Gordo from his ledge camp PK thunder multiple times (in a row even) and land it. I agree that a lot of situations it's probably better to just plain reflect, but with proper spacing it's a good mix up I believe

Also when comparing NAIR to DTILT for which is better for reflecting you have to keep in mind that of course NAIR is in the air and Dtilt is a grounded move. There are some angles which Dtilt is better for the reflect, for example ZSS stun gun I find Dtilt is amazing to reflect it back.

BAIR for swag OHKO on Villager Pocket/Mario Cape huehuehuehhue

Last edited:
Top Bottom