• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wes Tackles Apex 2015 and PM, Karissa The Destroyer in Smash On Blast

Narpas_sword

seriously?

did you miss the bit where i said i dont think it would be adopted?

the point was that mods shouldnt be shunned, no matter their goals.

but good reading bro

erasmorpheous

Smash Cadet
I don't understand why there's so much hate on pm. I love all smash games but it bothers me how much I see hate for my favorite game :/

Pm isn't a "copy" of melee. I love both games competitively but they are definitely different.

Akaimizu

Smash Rookie
I'm actually not surprised, so I'm a bit surprised others are. If only I knew about PM earlier, I would've tried to mention the warning at the very first tourney entry. That it would likely only last until there's official sponsorship. Unless we saw the likes Capcom and SNK allowing mods and/or hacked versions of their games at tournaments they sponsor, then there's a chance it won't get allowed. I'm sure, (or at least I HOPE) people were mentioning something about this by the time Nintendo decided to officially support the games. I would've repeated this warning since 10 years ago, or so. Alas, stuff like Street fighter, KOF, Guilty Gear, had my time, back then. I was unaware of the Smash community, at the time.

Still, the bright-side about Smash 4 is the amount of built-in modifiers to what effectively affects the game engine, with no additional stuff pushed in. Someone could adjust it by adding those modifiers to the characters and it will still be Smash 4, as far as Nintendo is concerned. And while, I still have confidence in the post-release support for it, the fact they threw so many options in there really helps, in the long run.

While I don't hate PM, whatsoever. I would've been for allowing it, but with the warning about official sponsorships and what they mean. I also understand the concern of companies which sponsor events and want to see the games "For which they personally have code version control" represented. Not games, for which version control is completely out of their hands. That's putting their own responsibility, reputation, and representation behind the efforts of complete strangers. If the likes of other major Fighting game companies don't want to, I don't see why Nintendo would be different. Especially now they have the efforts of a known fighting-game company behind the latest project.

People old enough would remember that even the likes of Street Fighter had some pretty nifty modifications, as well. But when official tournaments got in the picture, only official SF games were allowed.

Last edited:

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
I always laugh at people who say Nintendo support is good. Nintendo is only going to support the community until they make however much money rhey want to make off of it, then throw us to the curb like trash.

Akaimizu

Smash Rookie
That's nice. But I'd like to see a history, of that issue, before I make predictions on it. This isn't like certain other companies, recently, where they built such a relationship first, and then people actually saw them drop their support.

Last edited:

Pokechao

Smash Apprentice
Warning Received
Counterstrike and Team Fortress were made to give players the ability to play games in new ways. PM was made because players were butthurt that the new Smash game wasn't exactly like the previous Smash game.
Brawl had stupid things like random tripping, and was notorious for being even more unbalanced than Melee.(We all know the usual, screw Ice Climbers, and screw MetaKnight)
Their goal is not to make a complete 1:1 clone of Melee, but to make Brawl a more balanced and competitive game.
Its not a matter of butthurt, its a matter of "this game sucks for competitive play". PM is more balanced than both Melee and Brawl.
People have tried to play Brawl competitively, but it was not a pretty sight at all.
Also if anything, PM would profit Nintendo even more, because you actually need Brawl to play PM. More people want to play PM? They buy Brawl, Nintendo gets their money. Simple as that.
Maybe if you unthickened your skull a bit you would know this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bakuryu

Smash Ace
Counterstrike and Team Fortress were made to give players the ability to play games in new ways. PM was made because players were butthurt that the new Smash game wasn't exactly like the previous Smash game. PMDT didn't add multiplayer functionality to a single-player game. They actually took away functionality by only having 14 characters in the first version and not even having all the characters back until last December. They didn't even have to experiment with constants for gravity, hitstun, etc. like other mods did to see what worked. All they had to do is copy Melee. Why would Nintendo want to adopt a game they already made?
Ugh where do I even start with this? How about the fact that CS and TF were made using tools given by the developers because they actually wanted players to create their own experiences instead of just accepting the game they were given as being absolute?

Also your saying that changing or making a game because one you see or play is inferior or does not play the way you would like and a large fan base feels the same and thus supports it is a bad thing? Were the hell do you think innovation comes from? When someone sees something and gets fed up with an unsatisfactory product inevitably someone steps up to show them how its done and that's how things evolve.

I think your grossly underestimating how much work the PMDT put into PM, you say they just ported Melee into Brawl, but that's not true at all. They both use completely different physics systems meaning the PMDT basically had to rework Brawls physics engine itself to even get it as close to what Melee was and even then I believe there are still things that they just can't change. You think they didn't have to experiment? How do you think they changed things in the game? You think they just opened a program and changed a decimal value? They had to break down Hex values and Assembly code to figure out where those values even were!

Nintendo wont adopt PM because that would admit that they made a design error, which they will not do. Nintendo is using our community for sales. I'd love to hear if they even asked any pros for feedback on the game and if so if any of there suggestions actually made it into Smash 4, my guess is no. Smash 4 was not made for us period. For Glory was a poor attempt to make it seem like they cared, but had they actually asked a competitive player they would have told them that flat stages aren't always the most balanced especially when it comes to projectile characters, we want a variety of competitive stages, not the same one with a new coat of paint.

Last edited:

Smearglangelo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
UltraKoopaTroopa
3DS FC
4124-5097-9262
Their goal is not to make a complete 1:1 clone of Melee, but to make Brawl a more balanced and competitive game.
Considering that P:M borrows from Melee's physics and mechanics and feels almost nothing like Brawl, I think it's safe to say they failed in achieving that goal.

PMDT did succeed in tweaking characters and adding content that Project M players really enjoy though. I understand that some don't like to think of Project: M as a fan-made Melee 2.0, but that's what makes it a great Brawl mod!

jtm94

Smash Lord
PM never deserved to got how far it got, it dosnt deserve its precedence in the forums listing, it dosnt even deserve to be out of the brawl workshop forums. at the end of the day it is not nor will it ever be a true smash game, be grateful that Nintendo didnt send you a nice early Christmas present of a C&D letter
People like you just get thrills out of this don't you? I may play Project M, but I'm not a terrible person.

jtm94

Smash Lord
honestly don't bother with that guy. while i do agree that the mod should be left out this year to just hold the original titles. that guy honestly has no respect to give. Hes been hating on the pm game and community for like ever since he joined. best just to not get involved with it.
There are good people in the comments after all. Thank you. Honestly.

TopTierPichu

Smash Ace
People like you just get thrills out of this don't you? I may play Project M, but I'm not a terrible person.
im sorry that im being completely frank about a hack of a game, PM is not a true smash game nor will it ever be and that is a fact

also the edit post function exists for a reason

Last edited:

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
im sorry that im being completely frank about a hack of a game, PM is not a true smash game nor will it ever be and that is a fact

also the edit post function exists for a reason
Why does he need to edit his post?
It's not like there's grammatical errors in it.
Also, there's a difference between an opinion and being elitist about your viewpoint
you'd do well to remember that

Last edited:

TopTierPichu

Smash Ace
Why does he need to edit his post?
double post, just one of my many nitpicks

also how is it being elitist when what I said is kinda true, PM is a hack (or mod if you want to argue semantics it really dosnt matter) it is not a true smash game nor will it ever be

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
double post, just one of my many nitpicks

also how is it being elitist when what I said is kinda true, PM is a hack (or mod if you want to argue semantics it really dosnt matter) it is not a true smash game nor will it ever be
-Knock people off the stage to KO them
-% makes them fly further
-Can be as zany as you want it to be
-Many characters with tons of different moves
Sounds like a Smash Bros game to me

Pokechao

Smash Apprentice
It looks like smash, sounds like smash, feels like smash, plays like smash
Its smash

GeZ

Smash Lord
@shapular what the hell man. I remember you posting in the P:M GnW forums and talking about the game like a regular guy, and now you're on the "P:M IS NOT REEL SMESH" hype train? Seriously? It's low rent man.

Even past that, in response to all the people saying it's not a smash game, if some of the Melee gods will play it, if it's been in part accepted by all different members of the competitive smash community, if the TO's think it's a smash game and have been running it in most instances besides this one, it's probably a damn smash game.

Who are you to condescend to a game which is good enough for M2K? Jesus Christ, get real.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
@shapular what the hell man. I remember you posting in the P:M GnW forums and talking about the game like a regular guy, and now you're on the "P:M IS NOT REEL SMESH" hype train? Seriously? It's low rent man.

Even past that, in response to all the people saying it's not a smash game, if some of the Melee gods will play it, if it's been in part accepted by all different members of the competitive smash community, if the TO's think it's a smash game and have been running it in most instances besides this one, it's probably a damn smash game.

Who are you to condescend to a game which is good enough for M2K? Jesus Christ, get real.
Perhaps you misunderstand. I personally don't think P:M is a game, but rather a mod. Just because I say this, it doesn't mean I don't respect/ like or love PM. In fact, I freaking LOVE playing PM, whether it be serious or casually. Its so much damn fun.

I seriously think you need to calm down dude >_> :glare:

NotAnAdmin

Smash Journeyman
Wow, what an odd way to portray it. Pretty funny.
Anyway, I can see both sides of the situation. Nintendo has to get the dollars somehow PM won't get them the sales they want. Smash 4 is what's new, what's fresh, and if they want to buy Smash 4 you gotta get what they are pushing now. The tourney organizers are respecting what Nintendo is doing by keeping it official.
Don't get me wrong I wanted PM to have it's own tourney at Apex, it is a deserving Smash game that can entertain just as much if not more than any other Smash title.
If Nintendo doesn't want it to be there we have to honor that, but if possible another tourney should be formed. I won't be at a cool venue that Apex will be in but, that's not what matters, it's about the game.

My only huge gripe is it won't even be at the Salty Suite. That's not cool at all, SS is where the hype is. Huge disappointment from hearing that.

The Sword of Demise

Smash Rookie
Counterstrike and Team Fortress were made to give players the ability to play games in new ways. PM was made because players were butthurt that the new Smash game wasn't exactly like the previous Smash game. PMDT didn't add multiplayer functionality to a single-player game. They actually took away functionality by only having 14 characters in the first version and not even having all the characters back until last December. They didn't even have to experiment with constants for gravity, hitstun, etc. like other mods did to see what worked. All they had to do is copy Melee. Why would Nintendo want to adopt a game they already made?
First off let me remind you of Street Fighter 2 rainbow edition. A mod that altered the ENTIRE COURSE of the franchise it was based off of. Secondly you haven't actually played PM have you, because there is a lot more than just adding new values to hitstun, a few characters are almost completely redesigned and, they made new modes just for friendlies.

Mr. Cuddles

Smash Apprentice
I am sad for PM because i wanted to see BOTH smash 4 and pm. they're both exeptional games, and both have a large fan base. i can accept this though, this is only one tournament, and im sure they will be many more tournaments for pm.

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
It's weird that people are comparing Nintendo to Valve here.

It's Valve, right? I don't even remember. Pretty sure it's Valve.

Top Bottom