• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Weird GC Controller Issue

P-J

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, I got a weird problem and was hoping I'm not alone and someone else can help me.

I have a GC controller that has worked totally fine for me up to a point. I had a friend come over to play and he used my GC controller while I used the Wii U gamepad. Randomly the controller just decided to RUN to the right. If you held the stick to the right, your character would stand neutrally but as soon as you let go, they'd sprint right. This was completely random and sometimes would last up to 20 seconds before "letting go" and being able to play normally again for maybe 1 minute before going right again. We were playing 4-stock Smash with teams against computers.

I figured the controller was toast and didn't want to inspect it, so I bought a new one (these are nintendo official with the burning smash logo).

Well just tonight, my friend and I played again and my new controller did the exact same thing this time! After he left, I turned the console off and on again and played 30 minutes of FG with NO ISSUES at all. I'm dumbfounded.

The positive side of this is that I now believe both controllers are fine and it's an interference issue. The only solution I can come up with is that it's the adapter (a knock-off brand, not Nintendo), but it works just fine for me playing solo or online, and had no issues when I brought my setup to a tourney a month ago.

Have you guys experienced anything along these lines? Could it be my settings or hardware? I truly don't believe it's the controllers themselves because Nintendo gear is able to take a beating and they both did the EXACT same thing while sustaining no damage. I take care of my stuff and don't have controller smashing tantrums when I get salty.

What do you think?

Espyo

Smash Apprentice
At first, it sounds like an miscalibrated analog stick. Be sure that your analog sticks are not tilted when you start up the console and boot up the game, otherwise the system will think that that tilted position is the default. If it happens again, unplug and replug the controller. In GameCube games, you can also hold X+Y+Start for 3 seconds to make it recalibrate, but I'm not sure if that's a thing in Smash Wii U.
That said, your description doesn't seem to quite match the symptoms. Mostly because you say that right makes you stop and neutral makes you go right, whereas left should be the one to make you stop. Eh, try the calibration thing anyway.

P-J

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the feedback! I remember calibration stuff happening back in the day with someone doing that (having someting pressed down before turning the console on) and having to restart the system for them.

After a little more tinkering, I've seen that it only happens when 2 or more people are playing and a variation of GC+Non-GC controllers are being used. If it's all non-GC, no problem. If only GC, no problem. Mix, problems. I'll research more and see if I discover anything.

Top Bottom