• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Weekly Nintendo Corner - Super Smash Bros. Melee

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Welcome to the Weekly Nintendo Corner! Every week as the weekend nears, Smashboards will be covering a title from the Nintendo pantheon. Most of the time, these are new releases or games that are coming soon, but do expect surprises – every once in a while, there may be a blast from the past

Super Smash Bros. Melee

This week’s topic is the 2001 (or 2002 for Europeans and Australians) release Super Smash Bros. Melee, commonly shortened to “Melee”. Super Smash Bros. Melee is the second game in the series. Super Smash Bros. Melee is a sequel to Super Smash Bros. (for those who missed it, head here). Super Smash Bros. Melee brings together with adding new features, gameplay, and more from the Nintendo universe to continue duking it out.

Super Smash Bros. Melee was a huge vast change from the previous game. While the same basic mechanics stuck, the major differences found in Super Smash Bros. Melee were the quick speeds and fall rates.

Premise in Development

Unlike Super Smash Bros., Super Smash Bros. Melee was a debut game for the Nintendo GameCube. Simply put, when working on a debut game for a new console, if the specs are different than before, it can be a very daunting task to put out something impressive. To make use of the updated graphics from the Nintendo 64, the developers decided to make an FMV sequence that would truly get people hyped. To make this introduction, HAL worked with three separate graphic houses in Tokyo.

While the scope was much more in-range than Super Smash Bros., the schedule was rushed to be able to put it out as soon as possible, and the pressure was on with it being a sequel. This led them to only have thirteen months. Many people who worked on the game, including Sakurai himself, can be seen citing it as “Destructive, insane, mentally and physically draining” and more. There were hardly any weekends (and shortened down as well!) and few holidays for many working on it. Some ended up working all the way until the game came out.

A lot of aspects about Super Smash Bros. Melee in development are still not talked about much asides from a few characters that they were considering to be in at some point. With presenting only halfway through development at both E3 and Spaceworld, it was hard to believe the amount of polish that was shown at these public events.

Super Smash Bros. Melee, while being on a much higher-budget, was still a schedule that at very least, was as equally tight as Super Smash Bros. Yet, somehow, almost three years after the predecessor, it was released in both Japan and North America. Outstanding!

Result

The result of Super Smash Bros. Melee was a miracle, and even those words are still understating it. With seven million in sales, being the bestselling GameCube game ever, a huge boost to the advertising of the Nintendo GameCube, fantastic reviews across the board, plenty of awards, and more? It was quite the feat.

There’s even more that makes the game impressive, though. The community reception is really what’s kept the game to be relevant on both a party and tournament scale.

On the “Party” scale, Super Smash Bros Melee is still in many “Best game of All Time” lists, on many collectors’ eyes, still played at parties, and still loved by many even if it’s no longer their favorite Smash. Heck, it’s even watched by thousands in tournament streams all year long!

Competitively, the game is still growing strong after 13 years over thirteen years, and they only seem to be going stronger. In-fact, the tournament with the most entrants thus far, with over 1000 entrants, is actually APEX 2015 being held in two weeks. Needless to say, it far exceeded not only expectations but what anyone could imagine. There’s even a documentary on the competitive scene here with even a parody here. Simply mind blowing.

Without any hesitation to say, while there was no quicky announced sequel this time, there didn’t need to be for a while. It continues to be one of the strongest sequels of all time.

About the Team

HAL Laboratory developed the game while Nintendo published it. HAL Laboratory was founded in 1980 by Masayoshi Tanimura. The headquarters are located in Chiyoda-ku Tokyo in Japan with only two locations. The number of employees right now is currently 145. Along with the Super Smash Bros. series, they’re also responsible for Kirby, Mother, and various other video game titles.

Super Smash Bros. Melee had Masahiro Sakurai on Directing and Masayoshi Tanimura, Hiroaki Suga, Shigeru Miyamoto, and Kenji Miki all on production. The five original minds behind Super Smash Bros. returned, with the exception of Iwata, replaced by Tanimura.

Music
Ever listen to Smashing… Live! ? No? Take some time and do so!

How to Obtain Melee

Super Smash Bros. Melee, much like its predecessor, has jumped a lot in price. If you’re in the looks to play Melee or replace a copy that you don’t have, now would be the time to begin the hunt. The loose price runs about $50.0. The complete price (with box and manual) runs upwards to $70.00 dollars. A brand new price is $125.00. Sadly, this is the only way to obtain Super Smash Bros. Melee at the moment. Though if you’re in reach of a friend with a GameCube, you’re in luck to get to play it some.

Fondest memory with Super Smash Bros. Melee? Hyped for APEX 2015? Did this short piece do justice to Melee? Let us know in the comments below, and hang on, as we’re only halfway through the month of Smash!

Thethirdkoopa is a Game Producer, Collector, Musician, and Smash Fanatic at heart. He's still back in action with planning out more content than ever before; both for SmashBoards and outside of the site! He's pretty pumped to see how Melee develops this year as well. Chat with ihm about Melee on @Thirdkoopa

Last edited:

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
I should really get into the habit of commenting more on my own articles (or rather articles as a whole on this site considering I attempt to help direct content, at least...) so here I go,

Melee was pretty huge to me growing up. I'll admit it didn't take over my childhood as much as it did others, especially since with growing up, my friends and I tried out a lot of different genre's of games and different series.

BUT Melee was sure as heck fun, one of the biggest accomplishments ever to me in gaming to 100%, and it was the first game that I truly sat at and was researching techniques "Okay, I wanna do a wavedash. Okay, did that, what's next?" - It's really developed me a lot as a person.

I use to play Pichu but then switched over to Falco and Luigi. Now after getting back to Melee with friends when goofing off, I primarily play Fox, Pikachu, and Dr. Mario. Hope this gave some readers some insight on me. Now I'd love to hear your Melee stories! Can't wait to get around to the last two articles for this fest.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
I should really get into the habit of commenting more on my own articles (or rather articles as a whole on this site considering I attempt to help direct content, at least...) so here I go,

Melee was pretty huge to me growing up. I'll admit it didn't take over my childhood as much as it did others, especially since with growing up, my friends and I tried out a lot of different genre's of games and different series.

BUT Melee was sure as heck fun, one of the biggest accomplishments ever to me in gaming to 100%, and it was the first game that I truly sat at and was researching techniques "Okay, I wanna do a wavedash. Okay, did that, what's next?" - It's really developed me a lot as a person.

I use to play Pichu but then switched over to Falco and Luigi. Now after getting back to Melee with friends when goofing off, I primarily play Fox, Pikachu, and Dr. Mario. Hope this gave some readers some insight on me. Now I'd love to hear your Melee stories! Can't wait to get around to the last two articles for this fest.
PICHU THO?!

Last edited:

CosmicFuzz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Masterphailure
3DS FC
4511-1602-4990
It's been an amazing 13 years of Melee, may you live on for many more you glorious game.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
Whoa $125 for Melee?
*remembers when by accident I dropped the disc and almost broke it*
I dodged a bullet there

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Whoa $125 for Melee?
I dodged a bullet there
125 is for a new copy of melee

its okay it's only like 50 bucks loose
Nah its aight no worries Bruh.... I secretly main Pichu anyway :denzel:
we all secretly main pichu

though you know what game pichu's the best in? brawl

ATH_

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0963-0267-2548
Switch FC
6592-1642-9705
Great article, will likely show this to a few people!

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
The loose price of $50?

And the new price for $70-120!?

Well thank s**t I still have my disc! One that's not scratched to top it off.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
If only I could find a used, cheaper copy with no scratches or smudges on the disc, that would totally make my day. Even though I got a lot of money, I still can't afford a new copy.

I'm fortunate to have found a used, albeit pristine, copy in its box for $50. The only other GameCube games at that store were $5 shovelware like Harry Potter this and Lord of the Rings that. Anyway, a bit steep for such an old game, but to dive into Melee nostalgia with my lady was worth every cent :>

Chris Sifniotis

Smash Journeyman
NNID
chrissifniotis
*shakes head*
Tsk tsk tsk. 12 years ago I was in high school, letting peer pressure suppress my gaming, completely unaware that this was out.
What a horrible person I became then! This, Halo and Portal are the three big games that to this day I've never played.
Ever.
I'm patiently sitting down, waiting for the glorious day when it along with other GameCube games are re-released via Virtual Console.

I wonder what might have been; I went to a game expo in Sydney last year when Smash 3DS was releasing, Nintendo had a contest where you win a free copy of the game. I didn't get past the qualifying round since they drew winner's names out of a hat to play on, but the one game I had I won convincingly.
I just can't help but wonder what 12 years of Melee might have done to me if I had the chance.

MapleWooD

Smash Journeyman
Fondest memory of Melee was unlocking Mewtwo. My little brother and I were just playing one day, not knowing that within the next hour, we would unlock the most powerful pokemon ever created. As I trumped my brother in a 5 stock match, the challenger approaching screen came up with a silhouette we both immediately recognized. We both turned to each other and he said: "Ok just use the C-stick moves" (we both sucked ok, lol) and I nodded my head as I entered the battle. Thank goodness Fox's Up Smash is OP. We were so happy to be able to play as the destructive force from our favorite game series, my brother still mains him to this day alongside Roy. Of course, this is just one of many amazing moments playing this game as a kid!

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I just can't help but wonder what 12 years of Melee might have done to me if I had the chance.
Either being a Melee hater due to the advanced techs, a Brawl/Smash 4 hater due to the much lower number of ATs or someone who can appreciate any Smash because they're ALL so much fun!
Fondest memory of Melee was unlocking Mewtwo. My little brother and I were just playing one day, not knowing that within the next hour, we would unlock the most powerful pokemon ever created. As I trumped my brother in a 5 stock match, the challenger approaching screen came up with a silhouette we both immediately recognized. We both turned to each other and he said: "Ok just use the C-stick moves" (we both sucked ok, lol) and I nodded my head as I entered the battle. Thank goodness Fox's Up Smash is OP. We were so happy to be able to play as the destructive force from our favorite game series, my brother still mains him to this day alongside Roy. Of course, this is just one of many amazing moments playing this game as a kid!
I remember jumping out of the couch, yelling like crazy and getting REKT because of how excited I was. Similar thing happened in October during the 50-fact when Mew2 was revealed, but since I'm WAY taller then I was back then, I hit my head in the ceiling >.<
Whoa $125 for Melee?
I dodged a bullet there
I didn't.... :(
But so many of my friends own it that it doesn't matter :pimp:

Last edited:

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Alright story time.

So I got into Smash Bros. after being introduced to brawl by a friend. So I decided to look more into the series and fell in love with the game, wanting to back back to my friends place to SOLELY to play Brawl.

So on Christmas I got a Wii and then 2 months later, I got a copy of Brawl and it was so much fun. Then I stumbled across the a Tourney match of Melee and was amazed of what was going on.

So I decided to see if I could go and buy a copy of it off Amazon and Ebay. Of course, I never did get it since it was so expensive.

So fast forward a few years later, I modded my Wii to play Brawl hacks and found out I could play GameCube games off a USB. So obviously I got Melee, played it and instantly fell in love with the game.

My favorite character to play in that game was definitely Mewtwo. He was so much fun play as in that game.

So yeah, not much since I got into Smash Bros, specifically Melee, rather late :p

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I didn't like Melee, but I'll give it this: If I hadn't played it, I would never have played Brawl and 4, two of my favorite games ever.

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
I have nothing but love for this game. Changed my life.

Ggjeed

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4940-5634-9439
Melee was the first game I got on gamecube, and probably the reason I got a gamecube (a month after they released). I put an ungodly amount of hours into that game (even just playing by myself). Unfortunately, small farm towns aren't known for competitive scenes. I wonder if I still have my copy.

Last edited:

SonicTeam765

Banned via Administration
NNID
SonicTeam765
Eh. Didn't like this game that much. Probably my least favorite Smash game.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Welp. Something tells me there's gonna be a verbal crossfire in here by day's end. I already hear Radiant Dawn's preparation theme...

(Not serious; hopefully things stay okay)

Last edited:

IvyDivyHorkyDorky

Smash Rookie
Welp. Something tells me there's gonna be a verbal crossfire in here by day's end. I already hear Radiant Dawn's preparation theme...

(Not serious; hopefully things stay okay)
You sound like the guy in youtube comments who say "Not a single thumbs down"! Could you guess what happened after? I feel so ashamed about this looking back, but when my cousin got Melee with his Gamecube on Christmas day, I immediately dropped all of the gifts I got that year and begged my parents to let me go over. My poor parents just wanted to spend Christmas day with me :(! Also this game taught me the word Melee!

Last edited:

N7S

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NathanSovik
I've had Melee since 2003 and I am very thankful that I still have that same copy. This game and it's community helped me get through a very rough depression period in my life very recently. And my dance with the Smash scene is just getting started. I'm so ready to make new friends in the community and hope to improve my game in the future. Time to show my moves :falconmelee:

Zoa

Smash Ace
Melee's longevity really tells you something about its competitive value. It's mindblowingly awesome just to imagine the passion from its community. It set the standard for competitive Smash, and still remains #1. Great game.

Yellowpikmin476

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Yellowpikmin476
3DS FC
4854-6467-1287
I am REALLY waiting for people to hack Smash Wii U or 3DS. Because there's ONE thing about Melee I miss a whole lot that I want to have in Sm4sh...

Top Bottom