• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Weekly Nintendo Corner - NES Remix Pack / Ultimate NES Remix

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Welcome to the Weekly Nintendo Corner! Every week as the weekend nears, Smashboards will be covering a title from the Nintendo pantheon. Most of the time, these are new releases or games that are coming out soon, but we’re not exempt from surprises – every once in a while, there may be an old classic or forgotten treasure thrown in! Check back every week for the scoop on the upcoming Nintendo games.

NES Remix Pack & Ultimate NES Remix

Another double feature has arrived! This week’s topic is NES Remix Pack for Wii U and Ultimate NES Remix for 3DS! This is a physical copy version of NES Remix for those who have yet to buy NES Remix and for those who want to buy NES Remix on the go. For those who are interested after reading this article, NES Remix 1 & 2 are already available on the Wii U eShop in both regions.

Ultimate NES Remix for 3DS contains mash-ups from 16 of Nintendo’s favorite games, meaning that while it’s portable, not all of the games from NES Remix are included.

NES Remix Pack is both NES Remix 1 & 2 on the Wii U combined into one package. Not only is it in disc form, but changing apps isn’t needed for NES Remix 1 & 2.

Bowser's quite large and wait... Something looks different here.

Premise / Gameplay

Most of the challenges are from vintage games in short second bursts, containing such tasks as speedrunning, clearing an area of a game without dying, or defeating a certain number of enemies. The remix part actually adds in more – Playing a Donkey Kong stage as Link instead of Mario, for one example.

The gameplay adds much more than meets the eye, still. With addictive challenges (based usually on time), the challenges add a lot to the gam for completionists and for true retro gamers. Fret not still; it’s an easy game to jump into, but it takes skill to master!

Games included

NES Remix includes challenges from Balloon Fight, Baseball, Clu Clu Land, Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr., Donkey Kong 3, Excitebike, Golf, Ice Climber, Mario Bros, Pinball, Super Mario Bros., Tennis, The Legend of Zelda, Urban Champion, and Wrecking Crew.

NES Remix 2 includes challenges from Dr. Mario, Ice Hockey, Kid Icarus, Kirby’s Adventure, Metroid, NES Open Tournament Golf, Punch-Out!!, Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels, Super Mario Bros. 2, Super Mario Bros. 3, Wario’s Woods, and Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link

NES Ultimate Remix has not had its entire line-up of game chunks revealed, but some of the ones revealed are the following: Super Mario Bros, The Legend of Zelda, Excitebike, and Donkey Kong from the first NES Remix with Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link, Metroid, Kid Icarus, and Kirby’s Adventure from the second NES Remix.

Features

Nintendo World Championships Remix – For those with both NES Remix 1 & 2, this mode pushes players through three challenges in a row from Dr. Mario, Super Mario Bros. 1, and Super Mario Bros. 3

Competitive Multiplayer – Alternating multiplayer is available through challenges; can you and a friend take on all of them?

Video Recording – NES Remix 2 and NES Remix Pack have support for video recording gameplay!

About the Team(s)

NES Remix was mostly developed by Nintendo EAD Tokyo, located in Tokyo Japan. Software Development Group No. 2 worked on it; this group is particularly notable for making the Mario 3D Land/World games, Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, Flipnote Studio, and Super Mario Galaxy 2. More information about Nintendo EAD Tokyo can be found here.

Indieszero Corporation, Ltd. In Tokyo Japan also had some involvement with both NES Remix & and 2. They’ve helped with over a dozen games that can be all found http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indieszero]here[/url] but to name a few, Electroplankton, Retro Game Challenge 1 & 2, and Theatrhythm Final Fantasy. With 32 employees, it’s quite impressive!

Music

Now that NES Remix is available both on portables and on the Wii U, there’s no reason to not at least consider picking a copy up. NES Remix Pack will be released in North America on December 5th and is already available in Japan; no word on a Europe release. Ultimate NES Remix (3DS) will be released on Europe on November 7th, Australia the day after, and North America on December 5th; no release date has been announced yet for Japan. Both will have a retail price of $29.99

Did you already play NES Remix? Will you be picking this up? Ready to grind through the challenges, or just going to use this as a time killer? We would love to hear in the comments below!

Thethirdkoopa is a Game Producer, Gamer, and Collector who loves Smash and composing Music! He loves making these articles even more. He’d love to talk about any and all Retro games and his need to own physical copies of games on Twitter. @Thirdkoopa

Last edited by a moderator:

TheFadedWarrior

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MortifiedPanda
Is NES Remix worth it? Also, which is better, the first or the second?

YoPoYo9100

Smash Apprentice
I already purchased the 2nd one digitally, so I probably won't pick either of these up.

I would of preferred a physical copy too.

Last edited:

Enyalb

Hardcore Wonder-Casual Dragoon
NNID
BLAYNEproject
3DS FC
5300-9911-6250
I would say so if you want to play retro games with more of a challenge in 'em. Second one is better for having more variety in it really.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I'm not so certain if I even gonna buy either one of those, least of all the 3DS version.

BobEugCox

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BobEugCox
My friend and I have a spectacular time taking turns with this game and trying to beat each challenge together. I have never once played it alone though... That's just me!
Had I known this was coming out, I would've waited so I could have the case with the awesome box art.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
I'm super pumped for these and I'm probably going to buy both NES Remix Ultimate and NES Remix Pack - One for portable and one for friends. Whichever one I play more and beat will be based on controls. I think these'll be a great addition to my collection.

Hope you all enjoyed this coverage!

Newt Floss

Smash Journeyman
I already own this (because physical copies are for chumps) but I'm curious what the deal is with the Famicom Remix stages on the 3DS.

Vernatio

Smash Rookie
I don't have a Wii U, and probably wouldn't have heard about the 3DS port, given how wonky Nintendo can be with their announcements, so thanks a bunch! I've been dying to get my hands on NES Remix, and now I can!

Logsmash

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LogMash
This is cool, I'll probably pick up the 1+2 pack for Wii U. I've been intrigued by these games ever since I saw them on the e-Shop, so I'm glad Nintendo decided to bundle them and sell physical copies.

elitex12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Elite X
3DS FC
5429-8241-5452
so... there releasing these as physical copies? Thats... odd. Not that I'm against it though, but I just see these working better as just being digital copies.

Chris Sifniotis

Smash Journeyman
NNID
chrissifniotis
Hmm, I have been meaning to have a look at the remixes. I'm still weighing it up but I think I'll eventually give in a get the disk. My major concern is essentially ignorance in most of Nintendo's retro catalog.

Altern

Smash Cadet
I'm so excited to play it on the 3DS. My friend has it on the WiiU and we have had a blast playing it together. It's going to be the perfect game to play on the go.

Top Bottom