• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Week in Review Issue #5

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
The Week in Review Edition #5
2/10 - 2/14
Writers:

@ Venus of the Desert Bloom Venus of the Desert Bloom
@Opossum

NOTE: I AM UNABLE TO UPDATE THIS WEEKEND DUE TO REAL LIFE STUFF, SO OPOSSUM WILL BE FILLING IN FOR ME ON FRIDAY.
That being said, I am posting this prematurely. Hopefully, this will be the first and last time I have to do this. I apologize for this. This week was particularly busy and will get busier come tomorrow, so I apologize if this is not as comprehensive as previous issues.

Last week was the week for assist trophies and Pokemon. With the reveal on Lucario on the 7th, there was the expected Pic of the Days to follow it; detailing Lucario and his attacks but the amount of was pretty impressive. We also got our first confirmed Poke Ball, Palkia, and our (possible) 5th assist trophy, Mother Brain, which was a huge surprise for most. This week was rather lack-luster and boring at first. We got another look at the Nintendogs stage and rather amusing quote from Sakurai, a look into Lucario's Down Special and Marth's Neutral Special, and an updated Home Run Bat. More to come!!

I would like to say a big and huge thank you to:

[*] @Opossum for helping out with this weeks WiR. Not only did he write up the Friday Pic of the Day but, due to me being unable to post due to personal reasons, he posted the WiR in my absence. Thank you!

[*} @Captain Hotcakes for writing the Villager Analysis. It ended last week so take some time and read it-

[*] @ FalKoopa FalKoopa for agreeing to be interviewed! It was a lot of fun and I feel we will get to know you just a little bit better!

[*] Lastly, to all of the Smashboards users whose posts really make up what the WiR is. Without your insightful (and crazy) posts, this thread would not exist, so thank you very much!

Previous Issues

[collapse=Previous Issues]
To view the previous issues
Issue #1
Issue #2
Issue #3
Issue #4
[/collapse]

Want to help or contribute?

[collapse=Rules and Other Infos]This is the first edition of "The Week in Review." The Week in Review will be a series of articles I have made throughout the week concerning the Pic of Day through using posts, threads, and MiiVerse to pool information and opinions about Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS . However, the articles are not only limited to my own observation but to those of the larger Smash 4 community. Users are encouraged to submit articles and observations as well as opinions concerning the pictures that were updated throughout the week. I will explain how you can contribute later.
So what can you expect from this thread? On Friday, I will update the thread with a new article which will contain the Pic of the Day, other relevant images, information, I will also be pulling out interesting and thought provoking posts that have popped up throughout the week on the various threads such as the Wii U Discussion thread, 3DS Discussion Thread, MiiVerse Photo Thread, Roster Discussion Thread, character support threads as well as the Super Smash Bros, Wii U/3DS Backroom thus linking them altogether. In addition, I will also be adding up any information that Sakurai has revealed outside of the website/MiiVerse such as interviews and news articles.
I will open the thread on the weekend for people to talk about how the week went and comment on the articles. However, I will be closing the thread on Monday in order to prevent premature discussion about the weeks updates. I will be operating on Japanese Standard Time since both myself and Sakurai (OMG both of us in the same sentence?!?!?!) live on JST. View the JST Page in order to fully understand how time works.

Additionally, while this thread will focus on solely the Pic of the Day, I will sometimes allow pieces to be written about Smashboards, the Smash Community, MiiVerse, or Sakurai information. Additionally, once we have more information regarding the nature of the character, I will allow a user to write up an in-depth analysis of a character, veteran or newcomer. So come show your stuff!

Why is this thread needed?
We do have various discussion threads pertaining to various aspects of Smash. However, this is less of a discussion thread and more like a newsletter. I intend to present the facts and portray an unbiased review of the week. It will also serve as a hub to collect information, pictures, and articles that have been released in a weekly format thus allowing users to review the past weeks for better understanding how to predict future updates or to comb through information in an effective manner. It will also serve as a place to users to present their information, opinions, and observations in a semi-academical format. More information is listed below. If you see an interesting, funny, thought-provoking, or ridiculous post either on the SWF or on MiiVerse, PM me about it and I will include it! If you want me to remove you from a certain Tag, PM me and I will take you off.

Also, I wanted to use this space to allow users to be creative and constructive in speculating Smash in a more journalistic manner. I will not edit any posts except if they are inappropriate, bypass the censor, hateful in nature, or irrelevant.

How can I help?

You can contribute to this thread in many ways.
1) You can serve as a guest writer. This is done by contacting me via PM and apply to be a guest writer for the current week. I am able to allow or refuse the guest writer based on past credentials and reputation within the Smash 4 community so please keep that in mind.

After approval, I can either give you a piece to write OR you can choose one yourself. It should be focused on a particular Pic of the Day. Please promptly let me know which one you intend to. If I do not hear from you within a day, I will not accept an article. The article itself should be professionally written with little to no grammar or spelling mistakes. Any sources should be cited with a link to direct readers. While I understand some updates may be hard to write for, please write at least two paragraphs for each update. Unless it is an update of Luigi's nose but I am sure someone can find some Freudian psycho-analysis about that update. Please refer to the first edition post about how to write an article (though I am pretty sure many journalist/lit majors can do a much better job than I can lol).

2) You can help me gather posts that are excellent or at least interesting in nature. PM me any posts concerning a particular update and I will then add it to the articles. I frequent the above mentioned threads on a daily basis but I obviously miss things so I am heavily dependent on everyone getting me those great and thought-provoking posts. I want this thread to showcase what the brilliant minds in the Smash 4 community can do!

3) While you can discuss past and future weeks, please refrain from dissecting or analyzing the previous/future weeks and save that for the current week.

4) Could someone be a dear and make a banner for this thread. It's not urgent but a banner would be grand.[/collapse]
Table of Contents

1.1 Enter: Fatmanonice and IsmaR
1.2 Enter: BKupa666 and ---
2.3 Enter: Scoliosis Jones and Frostwraith
1.4 Enter: Kikwi-kiwi
1.5 Enter: Opossum
2.1 Day #1: Doggies Doggies Everywhere!
3.1 Day #2: Double Team Returns
4.1 Day #3: HOOOOME-RUUUUUUN!!!!!
5.1 Day #4: Nintendo Direct Set for Friday and Peach
6.1 Day #4: A Little Nintendo Direct
7.1 Week Overview
8.1 Editorials
9.1 Week in Review Interview: FalKoopa

Enter: Fatmanonice and IsmaR
Writer: Venus of the Desert Bloom

Note: ALL GIFS WERE MADE BY @Xiivi

Technically released on Friday, @Xiivi begun a campaign to reveal who the new moderators for the Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS boards (hereafter Smash 4 mods). In a fashion much like how Super Smash Bros. characters are revealed, he released each moderator to much applause and hype.

The first is @Fatmanonice who was a previous moderator and is the only returning veteran. He moderated the tournament boards back in the day. However, he resigned from his post due to real life issues and had a period of inactivity. He is now back to his position but now helping moderate the Smash 4 boards. Welcome him kindly as he takes up his post.

“We cannot live only for ourselves. A thousand fibers connect us with our fellow men; and among those fibers, as sympathetic threads, our actions run as causes, and they come back to us as effects.”- Herman Melville

The second reveal was later in the day with the purple-font loving @IsmaR! Known for her pointed logic and "making examples out of people," IsmaR is someone who, while liking to have fun, can be serious in discussion and when it comes to moderating. Please welcome IsmaR to the Smash 4 boards!

If you're just pessimistic enough, then all the dreams you didn't have will come true.
Enter: BKupa666 and ---

Continuing the reveals of new moderators, Xiivi continued the hype with two new moderators.

@BKupa666 was the third moderator announced. Known for his activity in the Rumors and Leaks thread, and Make Your Move. BKupa666 has shown to be both a productive poster, knowledgeable in both Super Smash Bros. and Smashboards. Let's show BKupa666 a warm welcome!

"I don't go looking for trouble. Trouble usually finds me."
The last moderator of the day revealed was @ --- --- or also known as Tryphen, Tri, Try, or any other way pronounce it. You may known him as the moderator of the Super Smash Bros. Wii U/3DS Back Room but he does not limit himself to there. He routinely posts in the Official Character Discussion Thread and the Social thread as well as active in the Mega Man character boards. Let's give him a warm welcome!

Enter: Scoliosis Jones and Frostwraith

Xiivi continued his series of revealing newcomer moderators this weekend with the Sunday reveal of:

@Scoliosis Jones, who was revealed on Sunday. Known for his Booker DeWitt avatar and penchant for intellectual discussion and colorful antics. Scoliosis Jones was also was important to the creation of the Super Smashboards. He was also the previous owner of the now decommissioned Roster Prediction Discussion Thread. Let's all welcome Scolosis Jones!

@Frostwraith was confirmed as a new moderator late on Sunday. Known for both his pale Ridley-purple text, Frostwraith is both level headed and rational. He approaches problems with logic and patience yet holds true to his ideals and opinions with can be reflected in his Pit/Dark Pit avatar. Let's welcome Frostwraith!

"The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing." — Albert Einstein
Enter: Kikwi-kiwi

@Kikwi-Kiwi was the only moderator revealed for Monday and the last after a day and a half long drought of no reveals. Known for his posting in the 3DS subforums as well as the owner of [/URL]Friend Codes Thread. Kikwi has proven himself to be a capable poster and fill the criteria of being a mod. Let's welcome him to the Smash 4 team!

"I hope everyone has a good and enjoyable time once Super Smash Bros for Wii U and 3DS come out. I wish you a lot of fun in advance!"
Enter: Opossum

After what seemed like a drought out Moderator reveals, the next of the Smash 4 mods was revealed!

@Opossum was the next moderator announced after a long couple days drought of no news or hype. This marsupial is known for his contests, nice personality and overall relaxed stance in debates. Yet, like most Opossums, will bite back when cornered, so don't take his cuteness as a sign he won't attack!

"Looking for the good in things is beneficial to the community. Seeing where ideas can shine shows an open mind, which we all can use from time to time."
Doggies Doggies Everywhere!
02/10/14
Day#1: Monday

Monday started rather lack-luster with a hype-killing picture of a Nintendog watching the TV screen in the 3DS-only Nintendogs stage. Even more yawn-inducing was Sakurai's comment:
Pic of the day. A bored-looking dog staring at the TV… Occasionally, the Super Smash Bros. series really makes me confused about what I'm creating.
Response from fans was diverse; ranging from lolz to complete and utter anger to "wow...cool!"

I lol'd at Sakurai's comment
@Fastblasde5035

Truly the update we were all waiting for.
@Kink-Link5

Not much today, but it certainly is adorable!!!
@Sonicguy726

ok so people are saying that Ness and Jigglypuff are on the TV. What are your thoughts?
Mine is that I could kind of see Ness but I don't know about Jiggly though she probably going to be in the game.
@Jsteel3

That is the response from some of the posters concerning this update. This is due to the fact that when the trailer for Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS was revealed, the Nintendogs stage was briefly shown. However, some swear that the TV in the background shows Ness and possibly Jigglypuff, two characters that appeared in original Super Smash Bros. 64 but have yet to be revealed. View this [/URL]image to see the supposed Ness leak.
@DrizzyDrew had this to say:
ness and jiggly are coming back idk why people are worried
And indeed Ness and Jigg fans should not be truly worried. While the possibility of them being axed exists, many believe they will in fact return; citing they are apart of the Original 12.

It is obvious that both tv images are the same save for the glare into Monday's pic.

@TheFirstPoppyBro displayed this picture that is apparently what is shown on the TV

It certainly does appear to be what is on the TV and fits in perfectly with the dog theme. Regardless, nothing is for certain yet but speculating whether this increases/decreases Ness or Jigglypuff's chances would be moot with such little info.

Things Confirmed for Monday:
1) Nintendog stage is still on the 3DS
2) At least one dog watches TV
3) Super Smash Bros. confuses Sakurai

Double Team Returns
02/11/14
Day #2: Tuesday

Lucario returns to grace the Pic of the Day with his tremendously blue Aura-enhanced fur. This time, he showcases his Down B Special, Double Team. Go to the Smash Wiki's Double Team page to learn more about the attack.
http://supersmashbros.wikia.com/wiki/Double_Team

Despite Sakurai's comment
Pic of the day. You missed me, because you attacked my illusory copy from my Double Team move!
It gives no clarification that this attack is dependent on the Aura mechanic unlike his Nuetral Special and Up Special. However, considering how Lucario's redesign leans more heavily on the Aura mechanic, it's understandable to think that it will be dependent on it.

However, most discussion concerning his Down Special has been oddly quiet. In fact, Wednesday's pic garnered more discussion regarding Marth and his Shield Breaker which has been officially unveiled.

Marth's over head shield breaker never really clicked with me. I much prefer the look of the poke and though it's a bit harder to hit in general, I find it much easier to sweetspot. Plus now that it's been buffed I'm sure it'll be even more in my favor.
@DaDavid

Nice to see shield breaker is still a poking move and not an overhead again( dude could already maintain enough pressure as is.)

Hopefully this will calm down the crazies who think he needs to be buffed( you know, despite never sucking ever, having great matchups and only getting nerf where he seriously needed them.
@lordvaati

Marth is lunging forward even more so now. We already knew Falchion was at its Melee length but, so this must reach really far out. This Shield Breaker seems like it is going to be a lot of fun.
@Commander

Marth lunges pretty far forward in Brawl, the comparison picture isn't necessarily the same 'point' in the animation. We won't really know until we see it in game if its stretching more forward or anything like that.

Also where has this whole 'melee falchion length' thing even come from? Speculation based off of pictures? I'm hyped for the possibility of him having longer reach comparatively than he did in Brawl, but I'm not willing to state any of it as matter-of-fact.
@Shaya

Some Marth fans are speculating whether this attack comes out faster than it did in Brawl and has a more power behind it though comparing the attack between Brawl and SSB4 hasn't yielded any results if the two of them are different.

Things confirmed for Tuesday:
1) Lucario's eyes flashes when Doulbe Team connects
2) Double Team officially returns
3) Marth's Nspecial Shield Breaker returns.

I would also like to mention that Tuesday was [/URL]Foundation Day in Japan and, thus, much civil workers as well as students and other institutions had the day off today. Obviously, Sakurai does not take days off on holidays...or he simply schedules an update to be released at a certain time while he relaxes at home; not being confused about his work.

Things Confirmed for Tuesday:
1) Lucario's Down B returns

HOOOOME-RUUUUUUN!!!!!
02/06/14
Day #3: Wednesday

Wednesday was a home run of a update with an updated version of the Home Run Bat. If you recall from the previous installments of Super Smash Bros., the Home Run Bat was an overpowered item that, when swung, smashed the opponent into oblivion and usually resulted in a OHKO. The bad has remained relatively unchanged, with some various damage percentages increased than in previous installments:

Smash Wiki said:
SSB Melee Brawl
Smash Attack 10% 20% 30%
Taken from:[/URL] http://www.ssbwiki.com/Home-Run_Bat. While it is uncertain if they bat damage will be changed, given this pattern, it can be assumed that it might change but that has yet to be confirmed.

What did fans have to say about the new bats design?

OH yeah! Home run bat looks amazing.

Love those graphical effects.
@ FalKoopa FalKoopa

So I'm cautiously interpreting this to mean every character has a custom "OH ****!!!* animation for when they're hit by the home run bat? Can't wait to see it for everyone, especially a certain few characters. I'm looking at you, Marth. You too, Gannondorf.
@Kamikazek

Really like the Smash symbol on the end of the Bat. Nice little detail.
@Keybladeguy

@Ariand/AEM suggested as to why the bat was redesigned
The Home Run Bat has always looked very similar to the one Ness used, perhaps the change was to differentiate the two?

If that was the case, the Lip's Stick reappearing would probably put the nail in the coffin for Lip's chances.
Maybe he changed the design of the bat to differentiate it from Ness's?
@Tepig2000

Do you think the Homerun Bat has anything to do with Ness or just a change visually, much like how the Ray Gun and capsules changed visually? Let us know in the Editorials!

Things Confirmed for Wednesday:

1) Home Run Bat is back
2) It's back and redesigned
3) Donkey Kong's eyes pops out when you hit him with it

Nintendo Direct Set for Friday and Peach
02/13/14
Day #4

A new direct was announced and speculation hit its high point on what it could be. Most thought it would be Donkey Kong related as Donkey Kong Country: Tropic while others speculated what the Direct could mean Super Smash Bros. As you may remember, the last Nintendo Direct revealed Rosalina and Luma as a newcomer and Sakurai reminded everyone to watch the Direct. Now, Sakurai again reminded everyone to watch the Nintendo Direct and also mentioned Valentine's Day.

Here are some comments from speculators:

I'm guessing dual Diddy and Dixie reveal. Not tagteam, just the two revealed

Gut feeling type of thing.
@LackadaisyAlax

Predictions:
-Don't forget Donkey Kong
-Footage and release dates for Yoshi, Kirby, Mario Kart 8, and Mario Golf
-Release windows for Bayonetta 2 and Hyrule Warriors
-Footage for Sonic Boom, X, and Smash 4
-Indie trailer
-Something to do with the eshop
-1 new 3DS game
-1 new Wii U game
@GmanSir

We are getting X footage tomorrow…
We are getting Smash footage tomorrow…
Oh man! My heart is racing from excitement! I REALLY hope that Shulk gets confirmed! This is the perfect opportunity to do so!
@Brawler610

Some people are expecting Shulk because of Monolith Soft's X footage

Some people are expecting Dixie Kong or King K. Rool, because of Tropical Freeze

Some people are expecting "Pale Tuna" because of the leak

Just watch Nintendo show only Diddy Kong and call it a day
@Reila

I think this summed up much of how people feel actually. Not to mention, Cranky Kong also showed up as a prediction because, well, he`s Cranky.

As well, some images surfaced:

@hinata2000100

as well as

@ Muster Muster and @Hoots

If we don't get Diddy tonight, I'm totally okay with it.

I'm really curious as to what today's pic is going to be.
@ThatWasPeachy

And we didn't get anything DKC related but instead.....

Wait....no...it's this...

It is unknown if this is a new move for Peach or simply a taunt. Yet, it seems to be put on the back burner for more hyper-inducing information such as the Direct.

Things Confirmed for Thursday:
1) A Nintendo Direct reveal for Valentines Day
2) Peach can produce rainbows.

A Little Nintendo Direct
02/14/14
Day #5

I sincerely apologize for getting this out so late. Due to my being busy this weekend and several technical difficulties, the WiR was unable to get Friday's update reported so this is coming at you very, very late. Again, I am so sorry for this and I hope you understand.

On Friday, we finally got to see the announced Direct which happened to be Valentines Day Many thought it would be Diddy or Dixie Kong due to the Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze release, Palutena due to the leak that we previously covered several weeks ago, or Shulk due to X being reported to be shown on the Direct.

But we never saw this coming...a right hook that took us all completely surprise and one that renewed the hype that we had when the E3 trailer debuted:

Little Mac: Punches In

Little Mac is the 5th confirmed newcomer and the 3rd newcomer announced after the E3 trailer and after the Direct (Ms. Fit and Rosaluma preceded him). Many were skeptical about his chances but they were overshadowed by those who thought he was very likely or even a shoe-in.

For those unfamiliar with Little Mac, he is an up and coming boxer rising to stardom in the franchise "Punch-Out!!". Along with his coach, Jerome "Doc" Louis, Little Mac trained to enter into the World Video Boxing Association. Facing against formidable opponents such as Glass Joe, Super Maco Man, Bald Bull, and King Hippo; he managed to defeat each one and won the Champion title. In Punch-Out!! Wii, he lost his title to King Hippo and sets out to take it back and defend it. Little Mac also appeared in Super Smash Bros. Brawl as an Assist Trophy prior to his revival on the Wii. While not confirmed, many consider his appearance in Brawl as well as the boxing portion of Nintendo Sports to be the reason why Punch-Out!! was revived. To read up more on Little Mac, go to his wikia page here

Little Mac's reveal was well recieved by much of the community; generating much hype and interest for the character.

My life is finally complete.
@ Louie G. Louie G.

I'm gonna go ahead and out myself as somehow who actually didn't want Little Mac in, but... he looks hella fun. Fast, dodgey, physical as all hell. I'm interested.
@DaDavid

So pumped, so excited. Man finding a main is going to be hard. so many good choices.
@JPW

I just got home.

I exclaimed.

I cried.

I am overjoyed.
@pizzadudemanguy

Of course...some were not so enthusiastic to his reveal...
no.. will he replace captain falcon? if so... ssbu will be a game I wont buy...
Lenny on Miiverse

But judging from the attention the reveal brought, the Little Mac was the highlight of not only the week but of 2014 so far. (171 comments on Smashboards, over 80 users viewing his sub-forum after the reveal, a total of 18,079 Yeahs and 2,006 comments on MiiVerse, and 498,972 views on Youtube).

Prior to Little Mac being revealed, some felt that stage "The Ring" all but confirmed his inclusion while others felt that "The Ring" does not reference or even belong to the Punch-Out!! franchise:

Keep in mind. Even if it is a Punch Out stage, doesn't mean Little Mac is in the game. Smashville was in Brawl but that didn't mean Villager was.
stfn12345 from GameFaqs

Fair logic but unfortunately this stage and a rumour isn't enough to confirm Little Mac for me, Let's not forget there was an Animal Crossing stage in brawl.
Darkflame411 from GameFaqs

It still is not a punch out stage because of the smash emblem. If this is a punch out stage then the stadium in the beginning of subspace is a pokemon stage. Needless to say I'd be cool if little Mac is in but people should accept that this is just a new generic flat no tricks stage. I'm sure all of those call backs to punch out are intentional and maybe hint at little Mac being in and maybe this will be the stage you fight him in but I don't think this is a punch out stage.
@kaliskonig from Gamefaqs

Yet it was revealed that in the beginning seconds of the gameplay portion of the trailer, there was a noticeable change in the logo on the boxing ring as well as the marque the scrolled in the background.

To this....

While it isn't confirmed yet if both versions will be present in Smash Bros., this is in fact Little Mac's home stage as well as the Punch-Out!! representative stage. It is also important to note that that it will exist on the 3DS and will remain relatively unchanged.

Meaning that it's very possible that some franchises that may not have games available on both systems (Pikmin, Punch-Out!!, Wii Fit, etc) will share the same stage between both platforms.

So enough about that and let's get into Little Mac!

On the Rate thier Chances, Little Mac garnered a 83.59% in likeliness and a 73.22% in want. The second time, he received a 88.11% in likeliness and a 77% in want. it is obvious that Little Mac was a character that many felt would be included in Smash 4 and one that most wanted.

1. CONFIRMED! Little Mac (Punch-Out!!): DAY 81: (88.11% chance, 77.00% want); DAY 12: (83.59% chance, 73.22% want)
@Groose

This was a 4.52% increase in likeliness and a 3.78% increase in want between July 7th, and October 19th, 2013. That was quite the big jump in a relatively short amount of time.

1. Little Mac (Punch-Out!!): 82.48% overall chance (83.59% on Smashboards, 80.02% GameFAQs);72.08% overall want (73.22% on Smashboards, 69.33% GameFAQs)
Additionally, back in July 4th, 2011, Little Mac received a

Little Mac, our first newcomer contestant, has earned a score of 80.77%.
@Super Smash Bros. Fan
http://smashboards.com/threads/rate...gna-the-bloodedge.306359/page-2#post-12963597

Little Mac saw an increase in popularity and continued up to his grand reveal. It is obvious as to why he was selected as a newcomer.

What can we get from the pictures that were posted on the main website?
http://www.smashbros.com/us/characters/little_mac.html

To see what I could find, I went over to the Little Mac subforum if they could help shed some light on the pictures.

Many think this to be his side B attack or a neutral B attack attack.

1:22 - Little Mac dashes in and uses sideb past Mega Man's charged shot. His sideb is shown to have invincibility on start-up here.
@ ndayday ndayday

F Special: some super duper long ranged punch that he has (chargeable)
@extremechiton

Neutral B I'm guessing. Looks like it goes fairly far if you charge it, but also seems to have a bit of a cool down.
@Aduross

While this is just uncharged neutral B?
@Doopliss_Swe

However, according to Sakurai
His biggest feature is his Power Meter. When this gets charged up, his standard special move changes! It turns into a one-hit-K.O. uppercut.
Meaning this attack will most likely be his Side B.

While this has yet to be fully discussed on, it is probably this could be an f-tilt or a Side Smash.

Could be his Dash attack. Notice those facial expressions!

Judging from these gifs...

This is his OHKO Standard B move. Not to mention also

This is the same in Samus' case.

Most likely his animation for being KO'd or launched.

Could potential be his side dash attack.

Possible f-tilt.

GigaMac revealed as his Final Smash...the second Final Smash confirmed for a newcomer (not counting Samus)

As noted earlier, the Ring is also available on the 3DS and seems to be just like the Wii U version.

I don't know if anyone's noticed, but in Melee/64 (I don't remember), the direction of your taunt was determined by the direction you were facing. This seems to have returned with this screenshot:

[/quote]
@MechaWave

To see an indeph analysis video, please watch this:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTGZiXAPM7U[/media]
@SiLeNtDo0m

However, the PotD also featured Little Mac:

This is assumed to be his Side B or a Side Smash. Considering his possible Side B was also on fire, after being charged, it is not impossible to suggest this may be his Side B attack as well.

Sakurai went on to say:
Pic of the day. From Punch-out!!, our boxing challenger Little Mac joins the battle!! To get a glimpse of his fearsome punches, check out the newest video or visit the official web site.
He also added another picture:

with the caption
His biggest feature is his Power Meter. When this gets charged up, his standard special move changes! It turns into a one-hit-K.O. uppercut.
As mentioned before, his standard special move is the Uppercut and will utilize his Power Mete mechanic. It is unsure if this will affect his overall stats and game play as well as moves. It is also important to note that this is the first we have seen the character icons and damage percentages.

I would also want to high light on his air game.

Has noted both by the video and my users, Little Mac does not have a good air game and has poor recovery options. Many believe this attack to be his Up Recovery move.

Is it me or ooes Little Mac have Wario's Up special. at 1:34 and 1:38 he shoots up and twirls in the air, and it looks just as bad as Wario's. Maybe Wario is being reworked.
@The Drilling Juggernaut

Are you kidding me? That move was sexy as **** . It was like Ken's Shinryuken from street fighter. The fact that it can be combo'd into makes it even better. Up B isn't just for recovery, especially for a character like Mac who has moves that seamlessly chain upon hit.
@Eternal phoenix Fire

@Neo Zero made a very good observation considering the Power Meter
So something Ive just realized (while trying to reget Vegas so I can actually break this trailer down) is more than just his star punch seems to utilize his KO meter. Another poster (sorry I don't remember the name or even the thread) noticed that Mac's Up-B was different the two times we saw it. The first used against Link as a combo ender, was red. The second being him trying to recover after that failed Fair, where his fist shined blue.

Now something that seems implied in the trailer is that this red Up-B has the more vertical distance gained than the blue fist. Now, why is this important? Mac's gauge has 7 levels.

0-White, No Bars
1-Blue, 1-2 Bars
2-Green, 3-4 Bars
3- Yellow, 5-6 Bars
4-Orange, 7-8 Bars
5- Red, 9-10 Bars
6- K.O., 11 Bars (Listed as just K.O.)

My theory is simple, the level of your gauge determines the properties and damage or your Neutral B, Up B and Side B. White likely falls into the blue category, but it could be it's own level. K.O. of course being the highest, where the moves being extremely dangerous and versatile, and the various levels in between. So in the case of Up B for example, the vertical height at Bars 1-3 is an awful recovery. At Red power though?!.....still pretty bad, but does travel farther. Basically, the current color level determines the aura the move produces and thus, how powerful it is. Also as to why I say K.O. is an 11th bar separate from 10? In the footage thats sped up the sped up editing lasts until KO appears, as can be noticed by the flame on the icon. Unfortunately without Vegas I can't figure out the exact time it takes for it to fully charge, but someones estimate of about 10 seconds sounds about right.

So basically, true to Punch Out, the longer you can evade (and in the case of Sm4sh, endure) an opponents Attack, the more powerful your own arsenal becomes. Amazing service to Little Mac if I do say so myself, Sakurai turned our boxer into more than just some lame punchy character, but someone who truly encompasses the series he comes from.
Considering that Little Mac is a newcomer and the amount of Rosalina updates we have seen; we will be hearing about Little Mac and his inclusion from Sakurai for many months to come.

How did you feel about the Little Mac reveal? Were you excited? Hyped? Happy? Meh? Disappointment? Angry? Let us know here at WiR how you felt!

Friday was indeed a glorious day.

And it is always great when fans of a certain character get to see them included in Smash. While we can't see or hear Sakurai after revealing a character but I am pretty sure he enjoys the happiness that comes with it.

I started shaking when I heard Doc's voice, when I saw "Little Mac Punches In" I screamed "YES!"
I tried to hold my excitement but I kept shaking and shaking and shaking. I laughed at Samus and Mac, and at the end of the trailer with the chocolate. Mac looks incredible, and I'm happy that Mac Baby has finally made it into Smash.
He so rightfully deserves it.
@ Louie G. Louie G.

Things confirmed for Friday

1) Little Mac is playable as a newcomer
2) He utilizes a Power Meter mechanic.
3) His standard special B move is dependent on this mechanic.
4) Giga Mac is his Final Smash.
5) The Ring is his home stage.
6) The marquee and his ring surface now says Punch-Out!!
7) Doc will be featured in some manner.
8) Little Mac is short.
A Little Nintendo Direct

As I am writing this, it is Tuesday here in Japan and we already saw a PotD revealing more about Little Mac. For that, I am sorry and I hope in the future, I will be more prepared for writing out a timley article. This week was pretty boring save for the glorious and stunning Little Mac reveal on Friday. We did get new mods, Lucario move reveal, and the return and visually updated Home Run Bat which was fairly interesting all in all.

Editorials
If you would like to write an editorial on how you thought the Little Mac reveal was, please PM me and I will add it! 1-3 paragraphs in length and formatting intact please!​

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
The Week in Review Interview
Today's Guest: @ FalKoopa FalKoopa

Next we have our favorite Toon Link fan, @ FalKoopa FalKoopa ! Modded along myself and N3ON, FalKoopa is a well-liked user and a superb moderator who always is fair, polite, yet serious when he needs to be. He is a productive poster in the Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS boards and as well as as the Super Smash Bros. Back Room. Let's give FalKoopa a round of applause!!

1) How long have you been a member on Smashboards? How long have you been a moderator of the Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS Discussion Forums?

As you can see from my join-date, I've been a member for a year and two months. Though I had been lurking these boards for about 6 months or so before joining, mostly for the Smash 4 speculation and Brawl Hacking

And I've been a moderator for about six months.

2) What is your favorite part of the job? What is your least favorite part?

Favourite part of the job? Well, I do like being one of those whom people go to whenever they are in doubt or need help. Other than that, I also enjoy blowing up adbots and spambots. :laugh:

Dealing with derailed and off-topic threads is a big responsibility being a moderator, but it is also the most demanding part of the job, since dealing with a some users can be a pain.

3) Has Smashboards improved since you first joined?

Well, as much I'd like to say that the forums have improved, I think it has mostly stayed the same.

4) Will you be getting Super Smash Bros. for Wii U or 3DS?

I'll definitely getting the 3DS version. The Wii U version will come quite later.

5) Counting Super Smash Bros for Wii U/3DS, who is your favorite character in the entire franchise?

Actually, although I've been using Toon Link avatars for such a long time that I'm almost being identified with him, my favourite Smash character (and my favourite video game character as well) is Luigi. I use him in all Smash games. Toon Link is close second though. Some of my other favourites are Ike, Bowser, Falco, ROB, Link and Zelda.

6) When was the first time you played a Smash game? Can you recall your feelings or what you were doing at the time?

The first time I played a Smash game was sometime in 2006-07, I think. I started out with Melee, and I wasn't too familiar with many of the franchises in Smash excluding Mario, Donkey Kong, Pokémon and Zelda. I remember playing the classic mode with Mario; that's pretty much the first thing I do when I start a Smash game. :laugh:

7) Besides Toon Links reveal, who is your second most wanted character?

A bit of a tricky question. Lyn is personally my most wanted character, but Isaac is very close, because he's a favourite of many of my friends here.

8) What stages would you like to see included in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS? Past stages included?

Actually I'm not that attached to stages, and I'm pretty much indifferent which stages get in, but for the longest time, I've wanted to see a stage based on Bowser's Castle. It's an iconic location in the Mario games, and I think it should be included this time.

From past stages, I'd love to see the Fountain of Dreams stage in glorious HD.

9) The Stage Builder and Online gameplay was a step in the right direction but some believe they were lacking. What is one thing you would like to see Sakurai improve in the name Smash game? (besides the roster.)

The gameplay is obviously the thing Sakurai should be focused on improving the most, as it the core of the game and the thing which keeps you playing the game. Thankfully, as it seems, Sakurai is definitely focusing on gameplay.

Besides that, I'd like to see Sakurai improving on the Single Player modes (especially since the Classic and All-Star modes get tedious after a while), online and VS.

10) If you could describe Super Smash Bros. with one word, what would it be?

That one word would be... SAKURAAAAAIII!

11) Where did your username come from?

It's a secret to everybody. It's a combination of 'Falco' and 'Koopa' (yeah, yeah, real original, I know. :p)

12) What is your favorite type of music and why?

To tell the truth, I'm not too familiar with the various genres of music. I just listen to whatever I like. That said, listening to video game music is a favourite way to pass my time.

13) Without any outside factors hindering you, what would be your dream job?

My dream job would obviously be getting to work at Nintendo as a game programmer. :awesome:

14) Please tell us one thing about yourself that we may not know?

Hmm. I don't know where to start... Well, I can speak five languages.

Lastly, could you please let us know how you think this past week went? Was it a good or bad week for Super Smash Bros. speculation? What was your favorite and least favorite update? What in particular stood out this week? If you could, please let us know why you answered the way you did.

The past week was a good one. It began with Lucario info, as expected but I hardly ever use him so I don't really care. The Mother Brain Assist Trophy was great though. It was a good week as far as Smash Speculation is concerned, as it proved quite well that nothing is too big (Just look at Palkia!).

Favourite Update: Quite obviously, it was the reveal of Toon Link. Widely proclaimed to the most likely cut from Brawl, it was a major relief for me.

Least Favourite Update: The disconfirmation of Starfy. People began questioning the chances of all other Assist Trophies because of that.

Thank you @ FalKoopa FalKoopa for accepting this interview! I hope you all took something from this as well as got to know your friendly neighborhood Toon link fan. And who knew he actual mains Luigi (aside from the Luigi main icons underneath his avy),

Next week's interview will feature none other than yours truly @ Venus of the Desert Bloom Venus of the Desert Bloom . Look forward to it!​

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547

Attention all WII FIT TRAINER fans!

I am looking for someone to help write a comprehensive analysis on the Wii Fit Trainer. If you are interested and would like to contribute, please send me a PM.

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Again, sorry for a rush job but I hope everything is all fine and dandy. Hope you enjoy it and please thank Opossum for handling Friday's updates. This week was extremely hard to write for and, then suddenly, when I am at my most busiest...BOOM! A Direct! And the first Direct that the WiR has ever covered.

Of course it would have to happen when I am busy compared to earlier this week when I wasn't....

Last edited:

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
Reading this just reminded me of just how boring this week was. Let's hope Sakurai amps things up with the direct. Only 4 hours and 10 minutes left!

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Definitely a big week. It'll be a good chance for Opossum to test out his modding skills with the reveal of the last new mod, the Direct, and tomorrow's pic.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Notice: Due to the immensity of the Little Mac reveal, Friday's update will be updated later than expected. @Opossum will be writing about the reveal so please look forward to it!

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
You got more mods to add. XD

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Woah didn't even realize how many new mods there are now. o.0 But with the influx of new posters and Smash 4 getting closer I guess this is a necessity.

Looking forward to dat Little Mac write up though.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
You got more mods to add. XD
....I had a hunch.
I kept preparing myself to see a red banner by your name. So you're apparently "the last new mod" mentioned here.

I remember first joining and seeing you with the "staring Bulborb" avatar.

Hope the job isn't too tough, but the others seem to be doing fine.

----

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
It will be updated sometime today. I will be adding the Starpheonix and Swamp update at some point.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I'm sure, just I know first hand.
Were you in the Direct thread? It was a madhouse for a little while.
Actually, I logged off (so my computer didn't lag) and watched the stream. I went to the Social Boards afterwards.

So, what do you like about him so far?

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Hello everyone,

I am sorry to say that the Little Mac update won't be here for a little while longer but it will be posted up. Myself and Opossum will try to get it out quickly and as soon as possible.

In other news, I'm officially and legally married in the country of Japan :D. My wife and I submitted our intent to marry forms yesterday and will be celebrating our marriage. Hence why I'm busy ;)

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
Hello everyone,

I am sorry to say that the Little Mac update won't be here for a little while longer but it will be posted up. Myself and Opossum will try to get it out quickly and as soon as possible.

In other news, I'm officially and legally married in the country of Japan :D. My wife and I submitted our intent to marry forms yesterday and will be celebrating our marriage. Hence why I'm busy ;)
Congratulations to your marriage!

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
After much waiting, the Little Mac article has been added. I am sorry for the wait. I decided to combine both the PotD as well as the Direct.

Also, I will be adding @Starphoenix and @ Swamp Sensei Swamp Sensei 's mod profiles for this weeks issue.

Last edited:

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
After reading the Little Mac section I watched the trailer 2 more times. I really love this addition. I'm not much for speculating characters and such so I was just kind of going along with everyone's idea that Diddy, Dixie, or Diddy + Dixie would be revealed. Caught me totally by surprise and is also the only reveal so far where I actually shouted in excitement.

Also you attributed a quote to me but I didn't say it I don't think. I never say smart things.

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
Some minor corrections,
Lucario's Down B was confirmed back when he was first confirmed, it's on his character page.
The two gifs comparing Mac's neutral B are not the same move, little mac ducks lower when he attacks samus, and the fire effect from him attacking samus is actually from her Fair hitting his super armor. This and the overhead swipping motion lead me to believe that is his up smash.
Little Mac's is the 3rd final smash to be shown, after Samus's and wii fits.

Otherwise, the article is pretty spot on, good job for this week! I especially like the section on new mods.

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
After reading the Little Mac section I watched the trailer 2 more times. I really love this addition. I'm not much for speculating characters and such so I was just kind of going along with everyone's idea that Diddy, Dixie, or Diddy + Dixie would be revealed. Caught me totally by surprise and is also the only reveal so far where I actually shouted in excitement.

Also you attributed a quote to me but I didn't say it I don't think. I never say smart things.
I just wanted to stop over!

The quote was attributed to Pikabunz. All is fixed. And you do say smart things!

Some minor corrections,
Lucario's Down B was confirmed back when he was first confirmed, it's on his character page.
Yes but not confirmed in writing; only in a picture. This update confirmed that it is his Double Team move.

The two gifs comparing Mac's neutral B are not the same move, little mac ducks lower when he attacks samus, which leads me to believe that it is his up smash.
I will look into this.

Little Mac's is the 3rd final smash to be shown, after Samus's and wii fits.
Sorry, I should have been clearer. I meant newcomer Final Smashes. Not counting Samus.

Otherwise, the article is pretty spot on, good job for this week! I especially like the section on new mods.
Thanks! It was sort of a rush job. Took me several hours ><[/quote]

Last edited:

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
Yes but not confirmed in writing; only in a picture. This update confirmed that it is his Double Team move.

I will look into this.

Thanks! It was sort of a rush job. Took me several hours ><
That's fine i guess, the Double team in his character page also doesn't have the glowing eyes for some reason.

the Flame effect on his attack vs. samus seems to be from her Fair hitting his super armor, i could see why it looks like his B move's fire. He also does an overhead swiping motion with the attack, while the OHKO move has the swiping motion in front of him in an uppercut motion. (it's kind of hard telling all these punches apart)

Don't overwork yourself, i'd hate to see you get too stressed juggling the week in review and your marriage. (congratulations, by the way.)

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
That's fine i guess, the Double team in his character page also doesn't have the glowing eyes for some reason.

the Flame effect on his attack vs. samus seems to be from her Fair hitting his super armor, i could see why it looks like his B move's fire. He also does an overhead swiping motion with the attack, while the OHKO move has the swiping motion in front of him in an uppercut motion. (it's kind of hard telling all these punches apart)

Don't overwork yourself, i'd hate to see you get too stressed juggling the week in review and your marriage. (congratulations, by the way.)
Thanks.

I removed the picture. Thanks for pointing it out.

As for Lucario, I believe last weeks Monday PotD showed Marth's attack connecting thus initiating the counter whereas the picture on his profile
(http://www.smashbros.com/images/character/lucario/screen-6.jpg ) does not have counter connecting. Most likely it is just the start up animation for the attack.

D

Deleted member

To be honest, I hyped myself for Shulk in that Nintendo Direct. I recently beat the game and I wanted Shulk to get confirmed since I was on such a high with the game. The same thing happened months ago when I beat Punch Out!!… and Little Mac got confirmed now.

However, I am more than glad to see Little Mac. He was my most wanted newcomer and a character that I felt deserved his spot on the roster! It just feels so great seeing him and I can't stop watching his trailer!
Judging by the trailer, it definitely looks like Little Mac will be a strong ground fighter with terrible aerial game. However, in one part where Little Mac punches Mega Man with an aerial attack, it looks like Melee's momentum is returning.

http://smashboards.com/threads/litt...nfirmed-for-ssb4.324302/page-49#post-16352626
Since Little Mac is a fast and versatile fighter, you can use the momentum to your advantage to cover a part of Little Mac's terrible aerial attacks. This could also buff characters like Captain Falcon.
I thought I would bring this up since the OP doesn't.

By the way, thank you for featuring one of my posts! Hahaha!

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Aw yeah, my reactions were featured!
I must say Mac's reveal is probably one of the best video game moments of my life.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
In lieu of a new Week in Review, I will be closing this one. Expect it around 4 - 5 am EST Friday morning!

Top Bottom