• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Week in Review Issue #25

Should Ganondorf's move set change for the next Smash Bros.?

• He should keep his Brawl move set.

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • He should only be able to use his sword; thus removing in Brawl move set.

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • He should be able to change between a magic move set and a sword move set.

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • His custom moves should be split between magical, sword, and melee attacks.

Votes: 9 30.0%
  • He should have a mixture of sword fighting and his Brawl move set.

Votes: 15 50.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
The Week in Review Edition #25
6/30- 7/04

Banner by @ Venus of the Desert Bloom Venus of the Desert Bloom

Staff
Writers:

@ Venus of the Desert Bloom Venus of the Desert Bloom
@ TumblrFamous TumblrFamous
@---
@Opossum
@Mario_and_Sonic_Guy
@Frostwraith

@ Pazzo. Pazzo.
@BigAxle
@ Rocket Raccoon Rocket Raccoon

Editor:
@Aerodrome

I would like to say a big and huge thank you to:
@ Rocket Raccoon Rocket Raccoon and @ TumblrFamous TumblrFamous for writing the daily articles this week
@Starphoenix for agreeing to an interview
To my staff members who help out to make the WiR great!
To all the readers who support us!

[/collapse]

Want to help or contribute?
[collapse=Rules and Other Infos]This is the first edition of "The Week in Review". The Week in Review will be a series of articles I have made throughout the week concerning the Pic of Day through using posts, threads, and MiiVerse to pool information and opinions about Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS . However, the articles are not only limited to my own observation but to those of the larger Smash 4 community. Users are encouraged to submit articles and observations as well as opinions concerning the pictures that were updated throughout the week. I will explain how you can contribute later.

So what can you expect from this thread? On Friday, I will update the thread with a new article which will contain the Pic of the Day, other relevant images, information, I will also be pulling out interesting and thought provoking posts that have popped up throughout the week on the various threads such as the Wii U Discussion thread, 3DS Discussion Thread, MiiVerse Photo Thread, Roster Discussion Thread, character support threads as well as the Super Smash Bros, Wii U/3DS Backroom thus linking them altogether. In addition, I will also be adding up any information that Sakurai has revealed outside of the website/MiiVerse such as interviews and news articles.

I will open the thread on the weekend for people to talk about how the week went and comment on the articles. However, I will be closing the thread on Monday in order to prevent premature discussion about the weeks updates. I will be operating on Japanese Standard Time since both myself and Sakurai (OMG both of us in the same sentence?!?!?!) live on JST. View the JST Page in order to fully understand how time works.

Additionally, while this thread will focus on solely the Pic of the Day, I will sometimes allow pieces to be written about Smashboards, the Smash Community, MiiVerse, or Sakurai information. Additionally, once we have more information regarding the nature of the character, I will allow a user to write up an in-depth analysis of a character, veteran or newcomer. So come show your stuff!

Why is this thread needed?

We do have various discussion threads pertaining to various aspects of Smash. However, this is less of a discussion thread and more like a newsletter. I intend to present the facts and portray an unbiased review of the week. It will also serve as a hub to collect information, pictures, and articles that have been released in a weekly format thus allowing users to review the past weeks for better understanding how to predict future updates or to comb through information in an effective manner. It will also serve as a place to users to present their information, opinions, and observations in a semi-academical format. More information is listed below. If you see an interesting, funny, thought-provoking, or ridiculous post either on the SWF or on MiiVerse, PM me about it and I will include it! If you want me to remove you from a certain Tag, PM me and I will take you off.

Also, I wanted to use this space to allow users to be creative and constructive in speculating Smash in a more journalistic manner. I will not edit any posts except if they are inappropriate, bypass the censor, hateful in nature, or irrelevant.

How can I help?

You can contribute to this thread in many ways.
1) You can serve as a guest writer. This is done by contacting me via PM and apply to be a guest writer for the current week. I am able to allow or refuse the guest writer based on past credentials and reputation within the Smash 4 community so please keep that in mind.

After approval, I can either give you a piece to write OR you can choose one yourself. It should be focused on a particular Pic of the Day. Please promptly let me know which one you intend to. If I do not hear from you within a day, I will not accept an article. The article itself should be professionally written with little to no grammar or spelling mistakes. Any sources should be cited with a link to direct readers. While I understand some updates may be hard to write for, please write at least two paragraphs for each update. Unless it is an update of Luigi's nose but I am sure someone can find some Freudian psycho-analysis about that update. Please refer to the first edition post about how to write an article (though I am pretty sure many journalist/lit majors can do a much better job than I can lol).

2) You can help me gather posts that are excellent or at least interesting in nature. PM me any posts concerning a particular update and I will then add it to the articles. I frequent the above mentioned threads on a daily basis but I obviously miss things so I am heavily dependent on everyone getting me those great and thought-provoking posts. I want this thread to showcase what the brilliant minds in the Smash 4 community can do!

3) While you can discuss past and future weeks, please refrain from dissecting or analyzing the previous/future weeks and save that for the current week.

4) Could someone be a dear and make a banner for this thread. It's not urgent but a banner would be grand.[/collapse]

Table of Contents

1.1 Day #1: Iridescent Poppant Wonka and the Smash Run Factory
2.1 Day #2: Little Mac Dresing Up for the Gold
3.1 Day #3: Lady Rosalina and Lord Mii
4.1 Day #4: THE SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT!
5.1 Day #5: Wakka Wakka
6.1 Week Overview
7.1 Week in Review Interview: ???
8.1 We Want YOU to Vote! Results
9.1 Help Wanted

Iridescent Poppant Wonka and the Smash Run Factory
Day #1: Monday
Writer: @ Venus of the Desert Bloom Venus of the Desert Bloom

Confirmed on Monday were two particular enemies players will face in the Smash Run, a 3DS exsclusive game mode. Sakurai had this to say about the PotD:

"Pic of the day. Here's a Poppant, an enemy that appeared in the previous game in this series. Poppants will appear in Smash Run, scampering around as they drop a variety of items."
Sakurai also posted a second PotD and a comment:

"There are other bonus characters that appear in this game, too. Here's an Iridescent Glint Beetle from the Pikmin series. Keep hitting it!! Keep hitting it for gold!!"
Confirmed for Smash Run is the Poppant which appeared in SSBB and the Iridescent Glint Beetle from the Pikmin series. To refresh yourselves, here is some information regarding the Poppant:

A Poppant is a rare enemy in Super Smash Bros. Brawl's Subspace Emissary mode. A Poppant's trousers are full of presents and candy. It is cowardly, and will run away from the player, scattering objects in its wake. Some of these objects will hurt the player if they hit them, making the Poppant difficult to chase down. It sometimes leaves food in its run, and when defeated, mostly healing items are left. It can also drop weak random items.
http://www.ssbwiki.com/Poppant

It is unsure if this will be a rare enemy in Smash Run but hitting it will obviously cause various goodies to pop out. It will obviously have a trophy as the majority of the Smash Run enemies.

For those unfamiliar to the Pikmin series, the Iridescent Glint Beetle can be described as such:

Olimar's Notes
"This variety of beetle consumes subterranean minerals. Due to the fact that it rarely emerges above ground, sightings of this particular species are extremely rare. While minerals are this beast's primary source of food, the beetle itself does not have the ability to digest these minerals. Instead, metabacteria living inside the beetle's stomach chemically break down the minerals. The resulting purified metal is discharged, but rare metals such as gold and platinum crystallize onto the iridescent glint beetle's shell, resulting in the beautiful laminated shimmer."
http://pikmin.wikia.com/wiki/Iridescent_Glint_Beetle

Much like the Poppant, the Iridescent Glint Beetle will drop pieces of gold that may help the player in Smash Run or add coins to the characters profile for purchasing/using for trophies. It may be safe to assume both the Iridescent Glint Beetle and Poppant will be both rarer enemies in Smash Run.

For a full list of enemies encountered in Smash Run, please open the quote below:

While the responses were few, here are some comments people had about these two PotD's:

I think these guys should only throw Bob-ombs. Chaos ensues.
Dr. Bran

I think Sakurai went amnesiac over the Smash Direct.
Captain Hotcakes

Am I the only one who wants the Snitchbugs and Snakegrets as enemies in Smash Run?
R.O.B.

Was expecting a character reveal today, not an enemy we've already seen in two games. Disappoint.
Speed

Things Confirmed for Monday:

1. The Poppant and the Iridescent Glint Beetle will appear as enemies in Smash Run.
2. The Poppant will have a 3DS trophy.

Little Mac Dressing Up for the Gold!
Day #2: Tuesday
Writer: @ Rocket Raccoon Rocket Raccoon

Tuesday brought us a new alternate costume for Little Mac. On the right we have Little Mac's blue costume, the World Circuit. Little Mac's new costume is the pink hoodie in which many fans wanted. Sakurai opened up with:
Pic of the day. The pink sweatshirt looks really cool on Little Mac, so you can use that outfit in this game… How can a pink sweatshirt look so cool?
In the comments he said
Looks like some of you noticed that this version of Little Mac wasn't shown at E3. There are many things, like Link's Skyward Sword tunic design I posted earlier, that haven't been revealed yet.
Here's the "World Circuit" color as predicted by the Little Mac SSB4 thread.
Little Mac's pink hoodie in Punch-Out.

Let's see what users had to say.

Because his stage entrance animation.
@ itsameluigi1290 itsameluigi1290

If there are multiple color hoods, it's over.
@BBG|Scott-Spain

I wonder if he'll ride a bike into the arena when he wears the hoodie? Nobody better steal it if he does.:smirk:
@BillyTheKidd

YES!!!!!

I thought all hope for the Hoodie Alt was lost when the Wire Frame Alt was shown, but Sakurai realized that there were 2 great alts for Mac!

And on top of that, he even gets a texture alt (MURICA'!).

Hopefully this means that Link can have his texture alt (Skyloft clothes), and still have 1 or 2 full Alternate Costumes! Ocarina Link, Fierce Diety, Hyrule Warriors, the possibilities are endless!

Great job Sakurai! You actually made a decent non-filler pic that got me excited!
@Mega Bidoof

Wow! There are two alternate costumes for Mac?! I wonder who else will have alternate costumes, let alone two!
@TheLightningGamer
Things Confirmed for Tuesday:
1. Little Mac has 2 alternate costumes.
2. You can play as the Pink Hoodie Mac.
3. Some characters might have 2 alternate costumes.

Lady Rosalina and Lord Mii
Day #3: Wednesday
Writer: @ Venus of the Desert Bloom Venus of the Desert Bloom

After the suprising PotD that was Pink Hoody Little Mac, Wednesday's PotD was considered to be rather under-whelming in terms of new information. Regardless, it appears that Sakurai is focusing on introducing to us various altnernative costumes and palette swaps.

Here is what Sakurai had to tell us about Wednesday's PotD:

"Pic of the day. The Mii Gunner in his suit. Looking sharp! The arm cannon's design will change depending on the outfit, but the attacks and projectiles will be the same."
Pictures above is Rosalina and Luma and the Mii Gunner in Rainbow Road, a Super Mario Bros. stage on the 3DS. Confirmed at E3 as well as the Mii Fighter page are various costumes that are available to them:

• A suit and tie.
  • An American football outfit.
  • An American football helmet. (Does not have to be paired with the above outfit as shown in one of the screenshots).
  • A leather bodysuit with glowing accents on it, (including one that resembles the Smash logo).
  • An Old-English style outfit.
  • A top hat.
  • A hibiscus barrette.
  • A sun hat.
  • A bulky armor suit that also has glowing accents on it.
  • A tight shirt and black leather pants covered in bling.
  • A cowboy costume. There is a female variant of this that includes a skirt.
http://www.ssbwiki.com/Character_customization

Here are some examples of the alternate costumes for the Mii Fighters

According to Sakurai, the outfit is a Formal wear or suit and tie outfit however, it appears that these are not full outfit sets but can be mixed and matched to how the player sees fit. The above picture shows the Formal wear plus a hat while the PotD does not feature a hat.

Rosalina seems to be sporting her white palette swap. This seems to look much like her Fire Rosalina outfit but with the colors inverted.

It is interesting to note that white palette swap of Rosalina looks strikingly like Fire Peach pictures below:

I am curious as to why Sakurai did not include the Fire Rosalina palette swap but, rather, inverted the colors which makes it look like Fire Peach.

And while it was confirmed before now, the Luma'c color is not depedent on the palette swap.

Now to see what people thought about this PotD:

Is Rosalina's colour palette backwards from the SM3DW one? Don't know why they'd change that, but it looks good either way.
Niala

This is the costume I will use. So cool.
Zzuxon

Rosa looks kinda like a white mage, minus the inward spikes designs.
powerhouse

Neat, I wonder how many outfits we will get to choose from for the Miis.
Ryan.

I've been wondering...
Are there unlockable parts for Miis outside SSB4 which you could use to make a Mii (face)?
Imagine... If you play Disney Ifninity or something, and you unlock, say... Mickey Mouse ears that you can put on your Mii. Then you could potentially do a Miickey Mouse fighter.
I know X360 owners can unlock stuff for their avatars, but I'm not sure if the Miis now do that on the Wii U.
shinhed-echi

Things Confirmed for Wednesday:

1. The nature of the attacks are not affected by the costumes or outfits.
2. White palette swap for Rosalina​

THE SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT!!
Day #4: Thursday
Writer: @ TumblrFamous TumblrFamous

We got a beautiful picture today. While not necessarily that interesting of a pic, Sakurai did seem to toy with the emotions of many fans today. Looks like a normal picture, right? I mean, it's just Mega Man.EXE and Mega Man Volnutt. We already know they're parts of Mega Man's Final Smash. What's so special about it? Well, take a look at this caption.

"Pic of the day. Mega Man.EXE and Mega Man Volnutt!! They only appear for a split second, but the modeling is so detailed. And if that's the case…!"
-Masahiro Sakurai

If what's the case? Alternate costumes for Mega Man? HYPE! I mean, why else would Sakurai say that? It's a clear hint towards an alternate costume! Sadly, people were mildly irritated by what the second picture was, and what it had to say.

"...How can we not use it for trophy creation?! Today's update is a rare mix of Wii U and 3DS images in the same post."
-Masahiro Sakurai

Oh well. We see a trophy for X on the 3DS. Wait, huh? A 3DS picture? But the first pic was for the Wii U! Yep, along with confirming the Mega Man incarnations as trophies, we also get a nice little surprise: a Wii U picture alongside a 3DS picture. So that certainly is good to hear. It's easy to wonder when Sakurai would do both systems as pics again!

So let's check out some fan reactions.

Kinda silly that people expected alts from this when they are just parts of Megaman's Final Smash. They are not even the same character and the proportions are totally different.
@Ryu Myuutsu

I honestly got really excited for a moment thinking that alternate costumes were possible, but before I even looked at the second picture, I had the feeling Sakurai was being himself...and he was.
@Sqa$

To Smash Bros it's filler, but to Capcom they're thinking to themselves wow
@Nintendotard

MEGAMAAAANN

SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

FIGHTING TO SAVE THE WOOORRLLLLLDDDD

also filler pic
@TewnLeenk

Things Confirmed for Thursday:

1. Mega Man's alternate incarnations will appear as trophies.
2. We can get a rare mix of Wii U and 3DS pictures in one day.

Wakka Wakka
Day #5: Friday
Writer: @ TumblrFamous TumblrFamous

Hey, look! It's Pac-Man's home stage on the 3DS! Yes, we finally get a name for it: Pac-Maze! This is an exclusive 3DS stage, according to Sakurai. As we have seen and can see in this picture, there are several Pac-Dots all across the stage. Well, Mr. Sakurai has given us some insight.

"Pic of the day. Pac-Maze is a stage exclusive to the 3DS version, created in the Pac-Man motif. If you eat 100 Pac-Dots, Power Pellets will appear in your color."
-Masahiro Sakurai

Obviously, if you eat 100 Pac-Dots, a Power Pellet will appear in your color (Player 1 = Red, Player 2 = Blue, etc.). Once you get the Power Pellet....

"If you eat a Power Pellet, the monsters will become vulnerable and you can defeat them just by touching them. An important point is that the monsters will become vulnerable only on your screen, which means that they can still damage your opponents!! This is one of the unique game features only possible in the 3DS version."
...the monsters become blue and vulnerable! You will glow if you eat one. If you touch the ghosts (confirmed as stage hazards), they will be defeated. However, it seems to be a good idea to keep them around, as they can still hurt your enemies. Yep, a unique feature on the 3DS. Ghosts will only appear blue on your screen, which means only you can defeat them. This is another thing unique on the 3DS version.

I really like how there are gameplay differences like this for the 3DS and Wii U versions.
@thebadlamp

Finally! Info on the Maze stage! This stage looks interesting for light-hearted matches, but I probably won't use it for anything else. The invincibiity only showing on your screen is a very nice touch.
@BluePsychic

Not disappointed with the pic itself, but I fully expect this stage to reinforce why retro stages will always be godawful; amid all the effort put into making sure the stages are faithful to their arcade counterparts, very minimal effort goes into making sure the stages themselves are fun to play (looking at you, 75m).
@BKupa666

At least we have the name of the stage: Pac Maze.

I still want to hear him confirm that we'll see 3DS Exclusive Stages from Sonic & Mega Man, however.
@---

A lovely update for the Pac-Man stage. While it does not seem to be the fan favorite stage out there, it does seem to live up to the standard of very dynamic, gimmicky 3DS stages.

Things Confirmed for Friday:

1. Pac-Maze is a 3DS-exclusive stage.
2. Akin to Golden Plains, if you obtain 100 Pac-Dots, Power Pellets will appear in your player's color.
3. If you obtain a Power Pellet, the monster on YOUR screen will turn blue and you can defeat them, but they can still hurt your opponents.

Overview:
While this week didn't reveal a large amount of information, we got some interesting tidbits. Monday brought us a detailed view of the Poppant enemy and revealed that Subspace Emissary Enemies would get trophies. Tuesday revealed to us the World Circuit and Pink Jumpsuit alternates for Little Mac, a well recieved addition. Wednesday revealed that the customization on Mii Gunners will change the aesthetics of the arm cannon only, and a new palette for Rosalina based on Peach's Fire Flower dress, surprisingly. Thursday brought us a look at another trophy, Mega Man X, confirming that the other Mega Man incarnations would get their own trophies. Friday revealed details on the 3DS stage Pac-Maze, showing the four ghosts as stage hazards. The only way to attack them is to eat a Power Pellet, and it's indicated that your character will glow when they eat one.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Due to lack of time, there will not be an interview this week.

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
We Want YOU to Vote! Results

Do you think DLC will be implemented in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS?
Last week, readers were polled on what they think of DLC content being added to the game. DLC is a hot topic on Smashboards and have several camps of people. Some feel that there will be additional content such as new characters, stages, items, music, trophies, and other game content. Others think that DLC will be confined soley to patches and updates such as character balancing. Finally, some feel that DLC ultimately hurts Super Smash Bros. and believe that including DLC is a bad idea.

Here are the results:

Do you think DLC will be implemented in Smash 4?

1. Yes, I think so but with additional content.
    21 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. Yes but only with patches and updates.
    13 vote(s)
    37.1%
  3. No, I don't think so.
    1 vote(s)
    2.9%
A good majority of people seem to feel that we will be getting DLC in some form. DLC is something that Nintendo is just starting to embrace and hasb limitless potential for many game series: side-stories of Legend of Zelda, extra tracks for Mario Kart, new Pokemon for Pokemon, extra content for Animal Crossing, etc. Super Smash Bros. is an exceptional case for DLC content that can enrich the game. According to the readers, those who think that we will get additional content as DLC got first with 21 votes total for 60% of the votes. Addituional content includes new characters, stages, items, music, as well as patches and updates, etc. Those who think DLC will only come in the form of patches and updates but without any additional content gained 13 votes total or 37.1%. Lastly, only one person voted for that "No, I don't think so" option with represented 2.9%. Judging from these resuls, I feel that a good majority of people feel that DLC will be something that will appear in Super Smash Bros. but exactly what kind of content is currently unknown.

On one hand, additional content would help enrich the game and continue to draw support if spained over a year. However, some do feel that additional content may detract from the overall experience. The support for patches and updates; especially for character balance is highly supported with many feeling that, even if there isn't DLC content, there will be patches and updates in some form.

Here is how readers responded:

I personally think DLC will be an intoxicating mix of updates and additional content.
@ TumblrFamous TumblrFamous

Just patches and updates, no DLC characters and stages
@DANICK

Not much discussion as I would had hoped but still it is good to hear why you voted.

We Want YOU to Vote!

Should Ganondorf's move set change for the next Smnash Bros.?
One of the common compplaints about Ganondorf in Super Smash Bros. Melee was that he was a clone of Captain Falcon in all but stats. Masahiro Sakurai even said he was a late addition and, due to being similiar in body size to Captain Falcon, just added Ganondorf over Captain Falcon. Prior to Super Smash Bros. Brawl, many called for a de-cloned Ganondorf and others even asked for him to utilize his sword that he had in Melee. With the release of Twilight Princess, the possibility of Ganondorf utilizing a sword became even more real. However, as we all know, he did not have his sword in Super Smash Bros. Brawl and had a semi-cloned nmove set with a few differences.

Now, with Super Smash Bros. for 3DS just a few months away, what do you think Ganondorf will have in terms of a move set? Here are the options available:

1. He should keep his Brawl move set.
2. He should only be able to use his sword; thus removing in Brawl move set.
3. He should be able to change between a magic move set and a sword move set.
4. His custom moves should be split between magical, sword, and melee attacks.
5. He should have a mixture of sword fighting and his Brawl move set.

Let us know what you think down below!​

Last edited:

itsameluigi1290

Smash Journeyman
NNID
luigitime1290
SQUEEEE, I was mentioned! :D

Oddly enough, I didn't know there was a Week in Review thing. This is both interesting and useful, I'll be sure to check these out every week.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Honestly, he's had his moveset two games in a row, I think it's best to just take another small step away, not go full sword/magic.

I'm not saying he shouldn't use magic/sword at all, but he shouldn't be too drastically different from his brawl counterpart, imo.

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
I'd voted for Ganondorf with a moveset similar to his current one, but with much more sword emphasis. What I wanted even more, though, was his trident from the 2D games! We also need to have Ganondorf Tennis.

Last edited:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I would rather have a decloned Ganondorf with his same style of playing, rather than just a full-on clone moveset. Some magic should be in there as well.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
I'd like to see a mixture as well. We do have quite a few swordfighters, which I love but it'd be cool if Ganondorf was different and had some magic or something as well. I definitely don't want to see him as a Captain Falcon clone though, please, not again.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Dang, the poll lacks one option I would choose that's not there. "Combination of Magic and his Brawl moveset"

Anyway, nice review. :)

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
If, "He should keep his magic moveset, but not have the same specials as Captain Falcon." was a choice, I would've voted.

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Voted for a mixture between Sword, Melee, and Magic attacks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom