• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Week in Review Issue #23

Do you think Mewtwo will be returning as a character for Super a Smash Bros. For Wii U/3DS?

• Yes

Votes: 23 39.7%
  • No

Votes: 17 29.3%
  • Unsure

Votes: 17 29.3%
  • No Opinion

Votes: 1 1.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
The Week in Review Edition #23
6/16- 6/20

Banner by @ Venus of the Desert Bloom Venus of the Desert Bloom

Staff
Writers:

@ Venus of the Desert Bloom Venus of the Desert Bloom
@ TumblrFamous TumblrFamous
@---
@Opossum
@Mario_and_Sonic_Guy
@Frostwraith

@MaskO'Gears
@BigAxle
@Vegito2727

Editor:
@Aerodrome
I would like to take this time to apologize for the lack of content in tWiR. Sadly, I have been very busy so I have not been able to give my 100% all to the articles. Wthin a few weeks, however, I think I will be able to dedicate more time to it. Again, I apologize and I hope you enjoy the articles.

I would like to say a big and huge thank you to:
@ TumblrFamous TumblrFamous and @BigAxle for the articles
@ TumblrFamous TumblrFamous for publishing
@Starphoenix for agreeing to an interview
To my staff members who help out to make the WiR great!
To all the readers who support us!

Previous Issues
[collapse=Previous Issues]
To view the previous issues
Issue #1
Issue #2
Issue #3
Issue #4
Issue #5
Issue #6
Issue #7
Issue #8
Issue #9
Issue #10
Issue #11
Issue #12
Issue #13
Issue #13 Direct
Issue #14
Issue #15
Issue #16
Issue #17
Issue #18
Issue #19
Issue #20
Issue #21
Issue #22
[/collapse]

Want to help or contribute?
[collapse=Rules and Other Infos]This is the first edition of "The Week in Review". The Week in Review will be a series of articles I have made throughout the week concerning the Pic of Day through using posts, threads, and MiiVerse to pool information and opinions about Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS . However, the articles are not only limited to my own observation but to those of the larger Smash 4 community. Users are encouraged to submit articles and observations as well as opinions concerning the pictures that were updated throughout the week. I will explain how you can contribute later.

So what can you expect from this thread? On Friday, I will update the thread with a new article which will contain the Pic of the Day, other relevant images, information, I will also be pulling out interesting and thought provoking posts that have popped up throughout the week on the various threads such as the Wii U Discussion thread, 3DS Discussion Thread, MiiVerse Photo Thread, Roster Discussion Thread, character support threads as well as the Super Smash Bros, Wii U/3DS Backroom thus linking them altogether. In addition, I will also be adding up any information that Sakurai has revealed outside of the website/MiiVerse such as interviews and news articles.

I will open the thread on the weekend for people to talk about how the week went and comment on the articles. However, I will be closing the thread on Monday in order to prevent premature discussion about the weeks updates. I will be operating on Japanese Standard Time since both myself and Sakurai (OMG both of us in the same sentence?!?!?!) live on JST. View the JST Page in order to fully understand how time works.

Additionally, while this thread will focus on solely the Pic of the Day, I will sometimes allow pieces to be written about Smashboards, the Smash Community, MiiVerse, or Sakurai information. Additionally, once we have more information regarding the nature of the character, I will allow a user to write up an in-depth analysis of a character, veteran or newcomer. So come show your stuff!

Why is this thread needed?

We do have various discussion threads pertaining to various aspects of Smash. However, this is less of a discussion thread and more like a newsletter. I intend to present the facts and portray an unbiased review of the week. It will also serve as a hub to collect information, pictures, and articles that have been released in a weekly format thus allowing users to review the past weeks for better understanding how to predict future updates or to comb through information in an effective manner. It will also serve as a place to users to present their information, opinions, and observations in a semi-academical format. More information is listed below. If you see an interesting, funny, thought-provoking, or ridiculous post either on the SWF or on MiiVerse, PM me about it and I will include it! If you want me to remove you from a certain Tag, PM me and I will take you off.

Also, I wanted to use this space to allow users to be creative and constructive in speculating Smash in a more journalistic manner. I will not edit any posts except if they are inappropriate, bypass the censor, hateful in nature, or irrelevant.

How can I help?

You can contribute to this thread in many ways.
1) You can serve as a guest writer. This is done by contacting me via PM and apply to be a guest writer for the current week. I am able to allow or refuse the guest writer based on past credentials and reputation within the Smash 4 community so please keep that in mind.

After approval, I can either give you a piece to write OR you can choose one yourself. It should be focused on a particular Pic of the Day. Please promptly let me know which one you intend to. If I do not hear from you within a day, I will not accept an article. The article itself should be professionally written with little to no grammar or spelling mistakes. Any sources should be cited with a link to direct readers. While I understand some updates may be hard to write for, please write at least two paragraphs for each update. Unless it is an update of Luigi's nose but I am sure someone can find some Freudian psycho-analysis about that update. Please refer to the first edition post about how to write an article (though I am pretty sure many journalist/lit majors can do a much better job than I can lol).

2) You can help me gather posts that are excellent or at least interesting in nature. PM me any posts concerning a particular update and I will then add it to the articles. I frequent the above mentioned threads on a daily basis but I obviously miss things so I am heavily dependent on everyone getting me those great and thought-provoking posts. I want this thread to showcase what the brilliant minds in the Smash 4 community can do!

3) While you can discuss past and future weeks, please refrain from dissecting or analyzing the previous/future weeks and save that for the current week.

4) Could someone be a dear and make a banner for this thread. It's not urgent but a banner would be grand.[/collapse]

Table of Contents

1.1 Day #1: Mighty Morphin Power Miis!!
2.1 Day #2: Egg-splosive!
3.1 Day #3: Grab the Trophies!
4.1 Day #4: Rooty Tooty Fresh N' Fruity
5.1 Day #5: Customizing Ain't No Monkey Business
6.1 Week Overview
7.1 Week in Review Interview: @Starphoenix
8.1 We Want YOU to Vote! Results

Mighty Morphin Power Miis!!
Day #1: Monday
Writer: @ Venus of the Desert Bloom Venus of the Desert Bloom

The Mii's yet again grace the Pic of the Day by demonstrating some of their special abilities. Sadly, the Gunner and Brawler is absent from this Pic of the Day but it is understandable as this PotD is mostly focused on projectiles and Sakurai wanted to focus the PotD on characters who lack in them.

Here is what Sakurai had to say:

"Pic of the day. Here are some weapons the Mii Swordfighter can use: Shurikens of Light, Chakrams, and Gale Strikes. You can control the direction the Chakram is thrown, or even make it stall in midair. The Chakram is also the only one of these tied to the side special move, so you can use one of the other items consecutively with this one."
It is notable that none of the Mii's are able to perform these attacks in any of their games with the exception of the throwing stars which were present in the Muramasa-Jo game in Nintendo Land. Therefore, these are all original attacks and have no correlation to the games they were in.

The Mii Swordfighter focuses on swordfighting attacks attacks that require the player getting close to the enemies though a projectile helps the player in a heated battle. The Chakram is the only that is a Side Special attack thus allowing for it to be changed out and the Shuriken and Gale Strike could potentially be the other Special Attacks.

It is unknown if the Brawler and Gunner also have access to any of these attacks including the Gale Strike or Shuriken but it can be assumed that both the Brawler and Gunner are able to. This makes the Mii Swordfighter both a fast and competent fighter that is able to deal damage up close or from far away.

I went to the News section and looked at what people had to say:

FINALLY I WILL BE ABLE TO PLAY AS NARUTO (with a sword) IN SMASH BROS.
@Aerodrome

Since Miis are (apparently) supposed to have moves cloned from other characters, I wonder who are the original owners of the shuriken and chakram moves. The shuriken could be a different version of Greninja's Water Shuriken, though I doubt it. The gale thing is probably from Link's boomerang. No idea about the chakram.
@Reila

I hate seeing something I know I will dislike and thinking it's going to be good.
@Tristan_win

Dang, all 3 of those moves looks really fun. Chakram is the only one tied to Side B? Interesting. So I could have one be Down B and one be normal B while leaving Up B for recovery? One of the reasons why I like playing Link so much is because he has 3 projectiles that do different things.
The more I see of the Mii Fighters, the more I see them being one of my mains. I'll find them to be incredibly ironic if I main them over any of the main Nintendo characters.
Nice to see more stuff on the swordsmen. Out of the 3, we know the least about them it seems.
@Keeshu

Things Confirmed for Monday:
1. Mii Swordfighter is able to utilize Shurikens of Light, Chakrams, and Gale Strikes.
2. The Chakram is the Side Special Attack for the Sword Fighter and can be switched out.
3. The Gale Strike and Shruiken of Light are not side special attacks.

Egg-Splosive!!
Day #2: Tuesday
Writer: @ TumblrFamous TumblrFamous

Well well well, we see a new trophy! That's right! We get the evil machine created by the menacing Dr. Eggman, Eggrobo! Wait a minute! He's not just a trophy, now, is he? He's an egg-cellent enemy now in Smash Run! I have to say, I am egg-static! It's so eggs-traordinary we're getting so many references to other games.

Okay, before you all kill me because of all of the stupid egg puns, let me now start the article. Yes, as I said, an Eggrobo will be an enemy in the 3DS minigame, Smash Run. An Eggrobo, first debuting in Sonic and Knuckles, is a robotic machine that resembles Dr. Robotnik, or as most people know him, the EVIL Dr. Eggman.

The Eggrobo in Sonic games

Pic of the day. Here's Dr. Eggman's machine, Eggrobo. It'll appear as a guest character in Smash Run and attack you with laser beams.
-Masahiro Sakurai

It's pretty self-eggsplanatory. The Eggrobo will be featured as an enemy in Smash Run. They will be firing lasers all around, so you'll have to be eggstra careful when you encounter one. Of course, this was already realized by a few Smash fans, who were able to capture screenshots of the Robo in action.

Blurred screenshots of the Eggrobo in Smash Run

*Obligatory comment expressing disappointment that an unlikely character is (surprise, surprise) not a playable fighter*
@Ryu Myuutsu

Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall.
Humpty Dumpty had a great fall.
All the king's horses and all the king's men
Were susequently obliterated by a stray laser beam.
@SmasFromThePast

All these people who don't know who Egg Robo is...
This new generation is worthless....
WORTHLESS I TELL YOU!
@Swampasaur

I'm happy the Eggrobo is being represented in this game. I always liked Sky Sanctuary so I was glad when they chose it for Sonic 3 (& Knuckles) rep in Sonic Generations. Still I hope we get more Sonic representation in smash run.
@Homelessvagrant

Very predictable. I mean, yes, people joked about it of course. But, many people had a very indifferent attitude towards this "reveal" of sorts. Still, nice to see even more info on Smash Run! And plus, the egg puns were a no-brainer!

Things Confirmed for Tuesday:
1. The Eggrobo will appear as a Smash Run enemy.
2. The Eggrobo will fire lasers at you as an attack.
3. Eggs.​

Grab The Trophies!
Day #3: Wednesday
Writer: BigAxle

Like previous days after E3’s Super Smash Bros for 3DS trailer, a gamemode that was shown earlier with no info has been given info… sort of. Today, Sakurai revealed of a new gamemode in Smash 3DS, as said below:

Sakurai said:
Pic of the day. Here's a new mini-game that's quite a bit different from Coin Launcher in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. It's called Trophy Rush! The details…will be kept secret for now.
This new gamemode appears to take place on a modified version of Battlefield. While details are kept secret, a few things are notable from this screenshot. First, this mode will be timed, specifically, it may be a bit longer than usual minigames. Second of all, the game itself appears to be drastically different from Coin Launcher (which, by the wording of this post, may mean that Coin Launcher isn’t present in the 3DS version) in the fact that you actually play as a character instead of using a small turret, and platforms will rain down from the sky. It’s possible that wooden ones can be destroyed easily while stone platforms take longer to destroy. In addition, the Hexagonal Wrench icon could be a possible option or game-changing element. Furthermore and finally, it appears that you have a score in this mode as indicated by the top left screen; could this mean that you gain trophies equal to a set quota of points you obtain, or will they be found on the field? Unfortunately, there’s not too much to gain from this due to Sakurai’s vagueness in this screenshot, but he did give us plenty of hints. This mode appears to pay homage to Snag the Trophies from Melee, given the name hints about having a limited time to grab trophies.

Here’s a sample of what some users have thought about Sakurai’s vagueness and this new mode:

"The details...will be kept secret for now." Typical Sakurai.
@Chilex
This game looks really interesting, can’t wait for details!
@Nstinct
Oh I thought this was Smash Run again at first. New mode looks neat, I wonder if the Wii U version will have this, something new, or Coin Launcher again.
@ Ryan. Ryan.
Yes a sequel to Snag the Trophies in Melee. AWESOME!!! It'll be fun as hell!
@Mr.Random

Want to discuss 3DS modes, gameplay and characters? Go to the 3DS Subforum!
http://smashboards.com/forums/super-smash-bros-for-3ds-general-discussion.403/

Things Confirmed for Wednesday:
1. The mode Trophy Rush has been given a name since its mystery reveal at E3.
2. Trophy Rush is timed and has a score-based system.

Rooty Tooty Fresh N' Fruity
Day #4: Thursday

Pac-Man once again graces the battlefield to show off what he's got! Instead of a predictable "4 Video Game Icons" picture, we get information on his Standard Special Move, the Bonus Fruit!

"Pic of the day. Pac-Man's standard special move, Bonus Fruit. As you charge this move, the bonuses will change, and all of them have different characteristics and movement patterns when thrown. The bonuses cycle in the same order as in the original game, and the charge-up period doubles once you cycle beyond the orange."
-Masahiro Sakurai

For those who have not played Pac-Man, there is a scoring system. You see, near the center of the maze, you can find Bonus Items, usually referred to as fruit, even though not all of the items are fruit. There are eight bonus fruits: Cherry, Strawberry, Orange, Apple, Melon, Galaxian Boss, Bell, and Key. These items, from Cherry to Key, increase in points. Obtaining a Cherry gives you a mere 100 points. However, getting the elusive Key will reward you with 5000 points!

The Bonus Fruit

So, onto how the move works. Well, it's a chargeable special move. You must hold B so the bonuses will change, most likely beginning with Cherry and all the way until Key. Then, the cycle will repeat. Most likely, releasing B will allow you to use whichever fruit you are on. Once you get to Orange, the charging period will double, so it will take double the time to get to Apple as it did to get to Orange.

What's unique about these fruit is that they all have different properties. Well, what do they do? Unfortunately, we only really know two of the fruit: Orange and Galaxia Boss. The Orange appears to just be a damaging attack. Pac-Man can throw the Orange horizontally in front of him and attack the opponent. As for the Galaxia Boss, well, it appears that as soon as you release it, the Boss will fly around in a circle, hitting the opponent.

Now, remember, this should not be confused with what else we saw in Pac-Man's trailer. He appears to have a similar move, where he cycles through various Namco games, including Dig Dug, Galaga Ship, Mappy, etc. Now, could this be a different Special? My guess is no. Due to the similar attack and startup, my guess would be the Namco Cycle is simply a customizable move that can be chosen instead of the Bonus Fruit. Then again, upon further examination, the chargeup looks rather different, though that can simply be a customized attack.

Different Specials? Or Customizable?

Either way, Pac-Man is looking to be a very interesting, fresh character. His ability to summon Bonus Items and various Namco games is certainly something we have not seem before. Not interesting, eh, Smash fans? Anyway, let's take it to what our Pac-Fans are saying!

Who would have thought that Pac-Man would be a projectile-heavy character.

Don't Puck with the Pac!
@CardiganBoy

So more info on recent characters i'm guessing we won't hear about anything on New comers or Veterans probably until two weeks or so
@The Original Robot boy

This is another picture where multiple pictures or a video would have been helpful. We get a very vague idea how the move works, but seeing how some of the different fruits/items actually move would have explained it even more.
@spader13

Ooh good, Pac-Man info. Looks neat, can't wait until we get to see more gameplay footage of him.
@ Ryan. Ryan.

The uniqueness! The glamour! The pixels! All this and more to come at the Week in Review!​

Things Confirmed for Thursday:
1. Pac-Man's Standard Special is "Bonus Fruit". He can cycle through 8 different Bonus items and utilize them to his advantage, each having their own powers and characteristics.
2. The charge-up period doubles when you cycle beyond the Orange, and once you make a full cycle, it just repeats.

Customizing Ain't No Monkey Business
Day #5: Friday

As most people predict, we will be seeing different customizable specials for characters every now and then for Pics of the Day. Looks like we got a new Special Move for Donkey Kong, the Storm Punch!

"Pic of the day. Here's Donkey Kong's third standard special attack, Storm Punch!! Thanks to the customization options, each fighter is stocked with 12 different special moves. The number of attacks is pretty appalling."
-Masahiro Sakurai

The Storm Punch, one of Donkey Kong's 3 Neutral Special moves, is a customizable attack different from its original counterpart, the Giant Punch. While no intel was given on how this punch works, it is assumed that it will work as the regular Punch, with the added bonus of blowing enemies away at long-distance range, much like, say, the Gust Bellows in this game.

Sakurai also added an additional comment underneath:
"We've made it so that customization options, including special attacks, will be disabled when you're playing online in With Anyone mode. After all, we have to think about game balance, and it's crucial for anonymous players to be able to use reliable tactics against one another. When you're playing in single player, battling with friends online, or playing locally, you're free to play however you want--with or without customization."
Sakurai is really trying to get the point across. With the ability to customize movesets, you have an "appalling" number of special moves. Each character will get 3 versions set to one Special Move (3 on Neutral, 3 on Side, etc.). You can only use these customized moves while playing single player mode, battling with friends online, or playing locally. In order to maintain game balance, you can't do it while playing With Anyone online. Most likely, you won't be able to do customized moves in competitions either, in order to keep fair balance.

This makes me interested in playing DK again

But if Custom moves are banned, what would be the point?

I'm really interested in trying out the different custom moves with the characters
@PsychoIncarnate

Hurricane punch, eh? Pretty mind-blowing that DK has the strength to do something like that! Though I'm not too surprised considering he's pretty much Nintendo's (much friendlier) version of Hulk.

I totally wanna see Samus' options now...
@Varia31

I honestly really wanna see Sonic's customizable moves. Maybe it'll be stuff that'll actually fit his moveset and make him actually good.

Or maybe not because Sakurai.
@Wave Kusanagi

It is just me or do most of the custom moves seem to really random ideas?

I don't think Storm Punch has any basis in the DK games. That said, it does look cool.
@FalKoopa

So much customization! It's exciting to see what all of the new moves will be!​

Things Confirmed for Friday:
1. Donkey Kong's third Neutral Special move is called "Storm Punch" and can produce winds.
2. You will be able to use customization in online with friends, casually, or single player.
3. You cannot use customization With Anyone online, as it disrupts game balance.

Overview

We saw a good amount of information this week. The main theme of this week was giving information on what we saw at E3 for Smash. Monday showed off the Mii Swordfighters and some of their specials (the Chakram as a side special, the Shurikens and Gale Strikes not confirmed yet as specific specials). Tuesday showed us a new trophy and Smash Run enemy, the Eggrobo. Wednesday was a little teaser to the new trophy collection minigame, called Trophy Rush. Thursday showed us and gave us insight on how Pac-Man's Neutral Special, the Bonus Fruit, worked. Finally Friday showed us Donkey Kong's customizable special move, the Storm Punch.​

Last edited:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Week in Review Interview

@Starphoenix

Sorry for the late entry but here is the first of this weeks Interview of the Week! We are now offering two interviews per week so double the movers, double the fun! This week is our honorable moderator, @Starphoenix! Starphoenix joined the Smash 4 moderator staff earlier this year! Starphoenix has been an active speculator and contributor to Smashboards and heads up the Smash 4 Soundtrack thread! So sit back and enjoy the Interview!

1) How long have you been a member on Smashboards and why did you join? When did you become a moderator?
I have been a member of Smashboards since the Fall of 2007. My main reason for coming to Smashboards was in response to Nintendo’s closure of NSider forums -- a forum Nintendo hosted which was moderated by member of Nintendo of America staff. I used to be active within the Super Smash Bros. board, and once the forums closed I needed a new home; creating an account here. The rest is history.

Earlier this year I became a moderator as part of a collective group of other longstanding users to manage the growing amount of people signing up over the next several months as the games draw closer to release.

2) What is your favorite part of Smashboards? What is your least favorite part?
My favorite part of Smashboards is all the users over the years I have come to know. Many have come and gone, but it has been a blast engaging in discussion with those who have stuck around.

Least favorite part of the forum is the tendency to cycle through the same topics ad nauseum. The "Super Smash Bros Cycle" has been a joke among many of us who have been around Smashboards long enough to notice the pattern. Especially those who've been a part of the Super Smash Bros. 4 social threads of the past.

3) Will you be getting Super Smash Bros. for Wii U or 3DS?
Eventually I will purchase both games, but I will probably wait to get the Wii U version first.

4) Who are your Mains in 64/Melee/Brawl? Who do you plan to main in Smash 4?
My main characters in Super Smash Bros. 64 is a toss up between Ness and Capt. Falcon. It's been so long since I've played the game I cannot honestly remember who I enjoyed playing the most.

My main character in Melee has to be Mewtwo. Even though I’ve never really been that effective with him, I enjoy his playstyle. Ganondorf and Marth are a close second since I am actually good with both.

With Brawl I’ve come to a place where there has been so much unhealthy amounts of time invested into the game I'm actually comfortable with just about everyone. If I had to narrow my choices down it probably comes down to either Marth or Ike.

Right now for Super Smash Bros. 4 I have my eye on Mega Man. I'll probably play around with Marth since he's remained a constant for me between Melee and Brawl.

5) Who is your most wanted newcomer for Smash 4? More than one answer is ok.
My most wanted newcomer was Mega Man. Over the years I’ve had passing interest in different characters, but Mega Man, I felt, should have been in Brawl; having him be one of the first characters revealed was a lot of fun.

6) What stages would you like to see included in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS? Past stages included?
Skytown Elysia remains my most requested new stage for the Wii U version. (There are really too many new stages to list.) Returning stages I’d like to see in the upcoming game are Bridge of Eldin, Castle Siege and Norfair.

7) What would you like to see improved or expanded from Super Smash Bros. Brawl?
Being the audiophile I am there is ne little feature I'd like to see added to My Music: the ability to map one track to a specific button where holding that button down while selecting a stage will load that particular song ala Melee's L-button alternate song trigger. Creating themed matches will be a lot easier for me.

8) What is your best/favorite Smash Bros. moment/memory?
My favorite Super Smash Bros. moment was the first time watching the opening cinematic to Super Smash Bros. 64. My parents rented the game from Blockbuster after begging them weeks on end to take me to the store (a product of Nintendo's all so nostalgic original 64 commercial). Finally, and without my knowledge, they rented the game for me to play. Being the impatient kid I was I quietly made my way into the living room around one o'clock in the morning, and loaded the game for the first time. Very few games or other forms of entertainment have given me a moment as magical.

9) Where did your username come from?
I used to be a part of a Megaman-dedicated forum and, unsuccessfully, tried managing my own website called the “Burning Phoenix,” which was based off the phoenix Maverick robot from Megaman X6. That gave inspiration for my username, and it has stuck ever since.

10) Do you think the music in Smash Bros is a correct representation of music in Nintendo's history? How do you think they can improve? Finally, what are some tracks you would like to be included into the two versions?
Ever since Brawl introduced My Music, I think the soundtrack more than encompasses the wide variety of titles offered throughout each series’ history. There are some omissions that are stranger than others, but overall I think Sakurai and team has proven to know how to balance popular and less popular to better represent the history of Nintendo.

The area I think they can improve is to better pull from some of the other obscure titles like Pokémon Trading Card Game for the Game Boy Color – just for example. Or not so obscure series like Paper Mario and Wario Land.

11) You participate in a variety of discussions concerning Smash Bros 4. What do you consider is a popular trend in the Smash 4 speculation scene? In what direction is the speculation scene currently moving to?
All discussion I’ve observed has been focused on gameplay; much of what we have seen coming out of E3. It really isn’t as much about the characters anymore as it is the fundamental of the game. As we draw closer to the 3DS versions release in September for Japan I expect there to be much more anticipation for how the game plays.

12) What is your favorite type of video game genre and why? What are some example games?
My favorite genre has been the Japanese RPG. Titles such as Final Fantasy IV, Dragon Quest V, Breath of Fire III, EarthBound, Secret of Mana, SaGa Frontier II, Wild Arms, Phantasy Star, Golden Sun, etc. These days there isn't as much time to dedicate playing through these games as feverishly as I once could, but I find time every now and then.

13) Please tell us one thing about yourself that we may not know?
I enjoy candle light dinners and moonlit walks on the beach.

Thank you Starphoenix!

By: @Vegito2727
How long have you been a member on Smashboards and why did you join?
Smashboards.. I joined cause I didn't know where else to go to be a part of the community. I joined in 2011 so it's been 3 yrs on smashboards for me.

It helped me find local tournaments above all else.

What is your favorite part of Smashboards? What is your least favorite part?
Favorite part, good place to find frame data and news for smash,

Least favorite: lack of knowledgeable posters.

Will you be getting Super Smash Bros. for Wii U or 3DS?
100%, yes.

I already pre-ordered the 3ds version and I will soon be ordering the 100$ bundle that comes with the Wii U version of Smash 4.

As we all know your mains are :yoshi64:,:falconmelee:,:marth:,:sonic:, but how do you plan to main in Smash Bros. 4?
This time around, I'm going to be more open with my choice to main a character.

I usually commit to only maining one character which I might do, but I might main multiple chars depending on how i feel.

I plan on picking top tiers this time around as well.

Who is your most wanted newcomer for Smash 4? More than one answer is ok
New F-zero, King K.Rool. I don't really have a major newcomer I want, I'm satisfied with Brawl's roster but I do enjoy seeing new characters.

What stages would you like to see included in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS? Past stages included?
Not sure, I like the stages they have, I love how FD looks. I'm satisfied and don't really have anything in mind.

What would you like to see improved or expanded from Super Smash Bros. Brawl?
Hitstun and combos is my main request.

What is your best/favorite Smash Bros. moment/memory?
Too many memories to really say I think.

I have lots of memories before I even started playing competitively, but if I had to choose I would probably say EVO was a very fun tournament, and Getting 1st at zenith in PM and top 5 in 64 at Apex were great memories.

Where did your username come from?
Legend of Zelda enemy I love.

http://zeldawiki.org/Wizzrobe

Where did you start your "career" as a professional Super Smash Bros. player?
A local in orlando florida, Melee and brawl. Later picked up PM when 2.1 came out, been playing for 2 1/2 yrs now.

What plans do you have for your future as a Smasher?
Get better in every smash game, Going hard in smash 4 when it releases. Also, will be streaming a lot of smash on www.twitch.tv/wizzzrobe

Other than speedrunning Wind Waker & playing Smash & P:M, what other hobbies do you have?
Playing video games in general, I like to play ping-pong.

I don't do much else.

Did you play the Smash Bros. 4 demo? If so, do you see competitive potential in Smash Bros. 4?
I feel like Sakurai might make some adjustments before release, cause in a roundtable he said something along the lines of not liking the camping.

So, I think it has good competitive potential, I will play it no matter what though.

Please tell us one thing about yourself that we may not know?
I don't have anything crazy that no one knows.

I'm pretty decent at ping-pong and enjoy playing it.

Last edited by a moderator:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691

We Want YOU to Vote Results!
@ Venus of the Desert Bloom Venus of the Desert Bloom

Which E3 Newcomer are you most excited about?

Last week, we were the hype storm that was E3. Admist the swirling vortex of excitement and despair, three newcomers emerged victorious; claming the coveted roster spots. Who were these characters? Some love them. Some hate them. So are indifferent.

The newcomers are as follows:
  • Palutena
  • Mii Fighters
  • Pac-Man
While many felt that these three would appear at E3, the surprise lack of any veterans made Smash fans curious as to why. Others were very dissapointed with a lack of new information regarding characters. In addition, these characters did not appear playable at the Invitational or the Demo. However, the supporters of each character were excited to see their inclusion. As well, some naysayers who did not support these characters before have changed thier tune after seeing the direction Sakurai took with them.

I asked readers on how they feel about these three new characters. Here are the results:

Which E3 Newcomer are you most excited about?

• Mii
    9 vote(s)
    16.7%
  • Palutena
    22 vote(s)
    40.7%
  • Pac-Man
    20 vote(s)
    37.0%
  • None of them
    3 vote(s)
    5.6%
I must say this was a pretty underwhelming amount of votes. We had 54 votes while, prior, we were pushing 70-80. It could be because we had two different Week in Reviews, it could be not to many read last weeks issue, or that not too many were excited for the characters.

Taking first place was the Goddess of Light, Palutena. She scored 22 votes or 40.7% of the total votes. Palutena was generally well-received save for some felt her trailer was a bit bland. Still, it appears tot he poll that she is the more popular of the three.

Taking second place was the Namco mascot and the third third-party guest character, Pac-Man (I would have laugh if he took third place. Not that I don't like him but "third" appeared a lot in that last sentance). Pac-Man scored 20 votes or 37.0 of the total votesd. While many felt his inclusion almost a given, he had a fair share of detractors. Many felt that being a yellow ball, he would be unable to fight. However, Sakurai showcased a move set that is composed a lot of items and gadgets as well as powers that Pac-Man exhibited in his games. This could have boosted his votes.

Taking third place was the Mii Fighters. The Mii Fighters scored 9 votes or 16.7% of the total votes. Mii's generally have a bad reputation among Smash fans and many felt their inclusion in Smash Bros. would ruin what Smash stands for. While some praised Sakurai for making the Mii's even more unique, a good majority stood by their direct opposition against the idea of the character.

And last was None of them which scored 3 votes or 5.6% of the total votes. This shows that a small majority were not excited for any of the newly revealed characters or potentially dislike them.

Drawing from these results, most Smash fans are generally happy about these new reveals but I would to agree that they are a bit underwhelming yet expected. Palutena because she was teasted at the Nintendo Direct via the trophy, Pac-Man because E3 is a great venue to reveal a 3rd party character, and the Mii Fighters as they are being pushed by Nintendo into many games.

Here are what readers had to say:

Palutena was the most exciting one in my opinion. I absolutely loved that anime-styled intro. She also looks like she will be fun to play, even more fun then Wii Fit Trainer, and it's pretty cool that she has so many unique customizable moves.
@mimgrim

I'll probably be the only guy here, but out of all of them I preferred the Miis.
It's funny too. If anything, I should've hated them. I advocated against customization. All of it. Whether it was movesets or even editing the face. I didn't want that. Mostly because of the damage that they could do in the metagame. And let's not even mention online.
And then, they got in.

And honestly, I liked the way they handled it. Giving customization but not to the point where it's broken. I was a little disappointed you can't play them online, but it might be for the better.
Plus there's top hats. And I can't say no to that!
@MisterVideoGaming

Palutena obviously is the one I'm excited about most (and only). First, the anime style in the trailer was amazing, which reminded me of how amazing Palutena's Revolting Dinner was. Then when it got time to the gameplay footage, definitely worth the hype. So much grace and elegance, and so many attacks. With Palutena having a lot of moves that really bring out the greatness of customization to the point where you can choose moves that fit your style, I'm happy that this is her style. The Black Hole + Mega Laser combo as the Final Smash is just as amazing as well. Did I mention I love that the trailer confirmed Pit's and Palutena's (and secretly Viridi's) voice to be the Kid Icarus Uprising voices?

Cheers to team Skyworld! :4pit::4palutena:
@Admiral Pit

Pac-Man by a mile. The others are great too, but since I heard Namco was helping develop this game, I thought Pac-Man was a shoo-in, one I have wanted in Smash for a long time. Finally we have the four Titans of classic gaming, Mario, Megaman, Sonic, and Pac-Man. It may never happen again, and it is part of what makes Smash so near and dear to me.
@abrinx77

Mii Fighters. I don't care about the other 2 and shrug at it.

Having someone I can design on my own? For the guy I don't have?(well, no staff user available...) It works.
@HyperFalcon

Palutena's reveal took me by surprise. Sure, she was a guaranteed shoo-in in the game, but I didn't expect her to be announced so soon. And the trailer was great by far, definitely for its anime style.

As for Pac-man, I expected him to be revealed sooner or later since it was obvious he'd be in. Same goes for the Mii Fighters, which I like too.
@SilverEra

I really do love all of the reveals, but I have to choose Pac-Man, simply because supporting him has not been easy. People who wanted Pac-Man in the game were bullied and called idiots. They said he didn't deserve a place next to Mario, Mega Man, Sonic, and Snake. They said he had no moveset potential. This confirmation makes me feel vindicated, like Sakurai deliberately went out of his way to prove the naysayers wrong on every front. It just felt REALLY good to see that the Pac was back.
@Jumpman84

Thank you for taking the time to vote and respond!

We Want YOU to Vote!

Do you think Mewtwo will be returning as a character for Super a Smash Bros. For Wii U/3DS?

With E3 gone and now sign of Mewtwo, do you think Mewtwo will be returning as a character for Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS? Please remember this is not if you want him but if you think he will actuallt return? Here are the options available:
  • Yes
  • No
  • Unsure
  • No opinion
Please let us know what you think in the comments below!​

Last edited by a moderator:

pickle962

Smash Lord
"Most likely, you won't be able to do customized moves in competitions either, in order to keep fair balance."

Whoah, whoah, whoah, whoah, WHOAH there cowboy! Let's not just automatically assume **** before the game comes out and the community has had enough time to see what custom movesets bring to the competitive metagame overall and whether they should be used or not! Many people in the custom movesets legality thread seem to be in favor of giving custom movesets a fair length of time before it's decided whether they add or detract to the competitive meta! ;)

Thread link: http://smashboards.com/threads/legality-custom-special-moves-maybe-modifiable-attributes-no.357972/

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
"Most likely, you won't be able to do customized moves in competitions either, in order to keep fair balance."

Whoah, whoah, whoah, whoah, WHOAH there cowboy! Let's not just automatically assume **** before the game comes out and the community has had enough time to see what custom movesets bring to the competitive metagame overall and whether they should be used or not! Many people in the custom movesets legality thread seem to be in favor of giving custom movesets a fair length of time before it's decided whether they add or detract to the competitive meta! ;)

Thread link: http://smashboards.com/threads/legality-custom-special-moves-maybe-modifiable-attributes-no.357972/
Of course, whatever they decide will be the right decision. Based on Sakurai's comment (saying players need to use reliable tactics online with random people), I'm not sure whether or not it'd be allowed. Then again, it's my own opinion.

Last edited:

WolfieXVII ❂

stay woke
NNID
tresxvii
3DS FC
4699-5598-8215

Exactly, we haven't seen how the move sets work ,yet most are yelling *BANNED* already

Ryan.

Smash Lord
Whoops I read the poll wrong, I immediately voted yes thinking it was asking if I wanted Mewtwo in the new games. But I am unsure if he will make it.

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
Of course, whatever they decide will be the right decision. Based on Sakurai's comment (saying players need to use reliable tactics online with random people), I'm not sure whether or not it'd be allowed. Then again, it's my own opinion.
In the Custom Legality thread that was linked, the general interpretation of Sakurai's words is that it was most likely to remove the element of surprise as opposed to the moves being inherently unbalanced, since in With Anyone players can't see each other's CSS, unlike in With Friends and local play.

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
On the poll: It's hard to say. Adding Mewtwo would be a good idea because he as a lot of support, but if there's one thing I know about Sakurai, it's that THIS MAN IS CRAZY.

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
I'm unsure if Mewtwo will make it. I think (and hope) that Jigglypuff will make it in, which means Pokemon would have 5 characters. It all depends on whether Pokemon gets 6 characters. Also, even then, there is a little competition from Sceptile.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I'm sorry everyone for not being active with the WiR. Due to work, personal life, and being computer less, I haven't been able to do much with the WiR.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I'm absolutely confident that Mewtwo will return. It was a prominent character that was advertised in Generation VI, the first Pokemon revealed to have the Mega Evolution, and is overall extremely popular around the world. I would be very surprised to see it disconfirmed.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Mewtwo's one of the few characters that Sakurai has commented on

Then again, the comment was something along the lines of "we're considering it", so who knows

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom