• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Week in Review Issue #18

Gematsu/Sal Romano Leal: Real or Fake?

• Yes, I think it is real.

Votes: 10 20.4%
  • No, I think it's fake.

• I want it to be real.

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • I want it to be fake.

• I have no opinion on the matter.

Votes: 6 12.2%
  • I am ok if it is real or fake.

• Other

Votes: 1 2.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
The Week in Review Edition #17
5/12- 5/16

Banner by @ Venus of the Desert Bloom Venus of the Desert Bloom

Staff
Writers:

@ Venus of the Desert Bloom Venus of the Desert Bloom
@TumblrFamous
@---
@Opossum
@Mario_and_Sonic_Guy
@Frostwraith

@ Pazzo. Pazzo.
@BigAxle

Editor:
@Aerodrome

I would like to take this time to apologize for the lack of content in tWiR. Sadly, I have been very busy so I have not been able to give my 100% all to the articles. Wthin a few weeks, however, I think I will be able to dedicate more time to it. Again, I apologize and I hope you enhoy the articles.

I would like to say a big and huge thank you to:
Previous Issues

[collapse=Previous Issues]
To view the previous issues
Issue #1
Issue #2
Issue #3
Issue #4
Issue #5
Issue #6
Issue #7
Issue #8
Issue #9
Issue #10
Issue #11
Issue #12
Issue #13
Issue #13 Direct
Issue #14
Issue #15
Issue #16
Issue #17
[/collapse]

Want to help or contribute?

[collapse=Rules and Other Infos]This is the first edition of "The Week in Review". The Week in Review will be a series of articles I have made throughout the week concerning the Pic of Day through using posts, threads, and MiiVerse to pool information and opinions about Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS . However, the articles are not only limited to my own observation but to those of the larger Smash 4 community. Users are encouraged to submit articles and observations as well as opinions concerning the pictures that were updated throughout the week. I will explain how you can contribute later.

So what can you expect from this thread? On Friday, I will update the thread with a new article which will contain the Pic of the Day, other relevant images, information, I will also be pulling out interesting and thought provoking posts that have popped up throughout the week on the various threads such as the Wii U Discussion thread, 3DS Discussion Thread, MiiVerse Photo Thread, Roster Discussion Thread, character support threads as well as the Super Smash Bros, Wii U/3DS Backroom thus linking them altogether. In addition, I will also be adding up any information that Sakurai has revealed outside of the website/MiiVerse such as interviews and news articles.

I will open the thread on the weekend for people to talk about how the week went and comment on the articles. However, I will be closing the thread on Monday in order to prevent premature discussion about the weeks updates. I will be operating on Japanese Standard Time since both myself and Sakurai (OMG both of us in the same sentence?!?!?!) live on JST. View the JST Page in order to fully understand how time works.

Additionally, while this thread will focus on solely the Pic of the Day, I will sometimes allow pieces to be written about Smashboards, the Smash Community, MiiVerse, or Sakurai information. Additionally, once we have more information regarding the nature of the character, I will allow a user to write up an in-depth analysis of a character, veteran or newcomer. So come show your stuff!

Why is this thread needed?

We do have various discussion threads pertaining to various aspects of Smash. However, this is less of a discussion thread and more like a newsletter. I intend to present the facts and portray an unbiased review of the week. It will also serve as a hub to collect information, pictures, and articles that have been released in a weekly format thus allowing users to review the past weeks for better understanding how to predict future updates or to comb through information in an effective manner. It will also serve as a place to users to present their information, opinions, and observations in a semi-academical format. More information is listed below. If you see an interesting, funny, thought-provoking, or ridiculous post either on the SWF or on MiiVerse, PM me about it and I will include it! If you want me to remove you from a certain Tag, PM me and I will take you off.

Also, I wanted to use this space to allow users to be creative and constructive in speculating Smash in a more journalistic manner. I will not edit any posts except if they are inappropriate, bypass the censor, hateful in nature, or irrelevant.

How can I help?

You can contribute to this thread in many ways.
1) You can serve as a guest writer. This is done by contacting me via PM and apply to be a guest writer for the current week. I am able to allow or refuse the guest writer based on past credentials and reputation within the Smash 4 community so please keep that in mind.

After approval, I can either give you a piece to write OR you can choose one yourself. It should be focused on a particular Pic of the Day. Please promptly let me know which one you intend to. If I do not hear from you within a day, I will not accept an article. The article itself should be professionally written with little to no grammar or spelling mistakes. Any sources should be cited with a link to direct readers. While I understand some updates may be hard to write for, please write at least two paragraphs for each update. Unless it is an update of Luigi's nose but I am sure someone can find some Freudian psycho-analysis about that update. Please refer to the first edition post about how to write an article (though I am pretty sure many journalist/lit majors can do a much better job than I can lol).

2) You can help me gather posts that are excellent or at least interesting in nature. PM me any posts concerning a particular update and I will then add it to the articles. I frequent the above mentioned threads on a daily basis but I obviously miss things so I am heavily dependent on everyone getting me those great and thought-provoking posts. I want this thread to showcase what the brilliant minds in the Smash 4 community can do!

3) While you can discuss past and future weeks, please refrain from dissecting or analyzing the previous/future weeks and save that for the current week.

4) Could someone be a dear and make a banner for this thread. It's not urgent but a banner would be grand.[/collapse]

Table of Contents

1.1 Day #1: Wire Framed Punches
2.1 Day #2: Coming soon
3.1 Day #3: It's Brittany, Biiii....
4.1 Day #4: 15 Ways to get your Pong Hunger Satisfied
5.1 Day #5: Different Kinds of Alts for Different Kinds of Folks
6.1 Week Overview
7.1 Week in Review Interview: @Frostwraith
8.1 Final Destination Stage Analysis @ Pazzo. Pazzo.
9.1 We Want YOU to Vote! Results

Wire Framed Punches
Day #1: Monday

Writer: Venus of the Desert Bloom

Little Mac once again graced the PotD sporting his alternate costume "Wire Framed Mac". This appeared in the Super Smash Bros, Direct last month and one of three confirmed alternate costumes (the other two consisting off both Mr. and Ms Fit). Not to be confused with these Wire Frames, Wire Framed Mac harks back to the original Punch-Out!! that appeared in arcades:

This was confirmed via the Direct not this is exactly not new news but it is still something besides Luigi's nose. Additionally, Sakurai went on to say:

"Pic of the day. Here's wire frame Little Mac--re-envisioned from the original Punch-Out!! game. The man that actually drew the pixel art wire frame in the original was none other than Shigeru Miyamoto. He said he drew the pixels for the wire frame on graph paper."
It is interesting to note that Sakurai mentions Shigeru Miyamoto, who was not only responsible for designing the characters for Punch-Out!! but also for the franchises Super Mario Bros., Donkey Kong, Star Fox, Legend of Zelda, Pikmin, and Wii Sports. This comment is an obvious tip to the hat to Miyamoto and could potentially indicate a relationship between Miyamoto and Super Smash Bros. but this is fairly unfounded and unproven.

Also, while three alternate costumes have been revealed thus far, this does not mean that alternate costumes for the majority of the characters is not a sure thing. While it is fairly likely that there will be alternate costumes of certain characters, the exact number if currently unknown. Still, this does not stop speculation and sensulization as some feel this confirms roster-wide alternate costumes. We could potentially see other previous versions of characters such as:

8 Bit Donkey Kong for Donkey Kong

Jumpman for Mario

Mr L for Luigi

Retro Pit for Pit

Possessed Zelda for Zelda

Military Attire Samus for Zero Suit Samus

Boom Sonic for Sonic
These are just a few ideas for potential alternate costumes. To discuss alternate costumes check out the Alt Costume List thread:
http://smashboards.com/threads/big-list-of-potential-alt-costumes.335741/

Here are some of what fans had to say:

Wow, that match is going to go down to... THE WIRE.
@ JDavisR (NIX) JDavisR (NIX)

I would have preferred Pink Hoodie Mac instead, but this is still cool.
Anyway, I'm assuming color swaps for WFMac will just be his shorts and the color of his wire changing.
@Mega Bidoof

I would love more alternate costumes.
@LoneWolfRanger

I really REALLY hope so much Arcade Punch Out representation leads to a possible release for any of the current Nintendo system.
They just BEG for this game to be on them, with the whole dual screen system. And they are the only Punch Out games that are still not available to the public.
They could fine tune them a bit before release perhaps, as they are pretty rough around the edges.

PS: Any POTD with Little Mac instantly makes my day. :3
@shinhed-echi

These pictures keep getting lamer. No new stages or characters. Hell I'll take ITEMS at this point even though I don't use them. Please something new Sakurai.
@Mr. Random

There's always so much alt. costume potential, i really hope that Sakurai doesn't limit this to a few characters.
@CardiganBoy

And yet another Miyamoto character in Smash. ;)
@N3ON

Getting back to this picture, I think he could've at least mentioned another alternate costume. >_> I don't mean Male Wii Fit Trainer, I mean new ones. Or mention others might exist. It's a bit lacking, imo.
@HyperFalcon

I am not even sure if every character is going to get an alternative; I mean it is implied, but personally, I wouldn't mind a picture with Male Fit Trainer doing nothing with a caption that confirms that every character is going to have an alternative costume. I don't want it to be like some Wario BS, where they only get one if it "applies."
@MorbidAltruism

So, Miyamoto designed the original Wire Frame Mac for the arcade game.
I guess that this just shows that anything Miyamoto designed gets priority over other characters.
DakotaBones

Things Confirmed for Monday:
1. Little Mac will have an alternate costume based of his wire-frame design in the arcade version of Punch-Out!!​

That's Why They Call Me Mr. Fahrenheit
Day #2: Tuesday

Writer:@Opossum

On May 13, Smashers were greeted with this picture. According to Sakurai, Charizard's new Side Special is Flare Blitz, a powerful Fire-type move from the Fourth Generation. Just like in the Pokemon games, this is a high-power move, but a risky move. Charizard takes recoil damage due to the sheer power behind it.

We also got a follow-up picture, 100% reiterating that Mega Charizard X will be Charizard's Final Smash. It is unknown, however, what extent one will be able to control this beast. Will it be fully controllable a la Wario Man or Giga Mac? Or more like Super Yoshi? Not controllable at all, like Beast Ganon? Only time will tell.

We also learned that Rock Smash is still here. But this time, it is mapped to the Down Special. Opinions were mixed-to-positive about this.

@Niko Mar
]It's still there...

oh....

okay....

I get it....

I do too
@IsmaR
I'm just glad all the people saying Dragon Claw was replacing Rock Smash will shut up now. L:
@N0ble1
Rock Smash was my favorite Charizard move in Brawl.
@Vintage Creep
Boring updates alert is off the charts
@Cap'nChreest
I'm glad that Rock Snash is back if only for the sake of beating Boss battles on intense again. That move is the only way to go man. OP as crap.
Things confirmed for Tuesday:
1) Charizard has Flare Blitz as his new Side Special, and it DOES do recoil damage.
2) Rock Smash has been retained, but moved to Down Special.
3) Mega Charizard X is re-confirmed as Charizard's Final Smash.

It's Brittany, Biii....
May 14, 2014
Day #3: Wednesday
Writer: TumblrFamous

Hailing from Pikmin 3, Brittany has landed! But wait a second. She's not a character, is she? Oh, nope! Turns out she's part of the Wii U Trophy collection! Brittany was one of the three playable characters in Pikmin 3, the other two being Charlie and Alph.

Brittany from Pikmin 3 is a trophy!

Pic of the day. Here's one of my personal favorites, the trophy of Brittany from Pikmin 3. She won't be joining the battle, but her model and expression is well-designed.
-Masahiro Sakurai

While no one really suspected or expected Brittany to be playable, it's still great to see Pikmin get some representation in the game. What's interesting is what Sakurai says about the model. Just as we expected, Sakurai and his team are polishing this game from the top to bottom, making sure EVERYTHING looks its best. And since we have Brittany as a trophy, where's Alph and Charlie?

Since there wasn't a whole bunch to say here, let's go straight to the reactions of our fans!

Another disconfirmation! He's really putting heads on the chopping block. With Pikmin 3 and his apparent desire to include more female characters, she did have a slight chance.

I'm happy with trophies, to be honest.
@Radical Beam

Britney eh?

Well...

No one was surprised?
@Swampasaur

Gotta love dem deconfirmations which have now come on a regular basis.

...until a character I truly support is deconfirmed like this. That's when hell breaks loose.
@Staarih

Things Confirmed for Wednesday
1. Brittany from Pikmin 3 is a Trophy on the Wii U Version
2. Trophies are getting nice, polished, and smooth designs.
2. Other characters from the Wonderful 101 appears as trophies.

15 Ways to Get your Pong Hunger Satisfied!
Day #4: Thursday
[/SIZE]
Writer: BigAxle
First appearing in the Smash Bros Direct on April 8th, Color TV-Game 15 finally gets an explanation for what it is! Sakurai’s post was split into two for character limitations.
Sakurai said:
Pic of the day. The unexpected Assist Trophy, the TV-Game 15! Color TV-Game 15 is a home entertainment system that was released in 1977 in Japan before the release of Space Invaders. This is the oldest game to join the Smash Bros. series.
-----------------------------------------
Normally, controllers for these types of games had knobs with variable resistors--these allowed the players to control in-game movement by how far they twisted the knobs. The TV-Game 15 used microswitches instead. We've worked a little too hard to reenact the behavior of the original, so the paddles always move in linear paths with the same, consistent speed. We pay attention to such peculiar details!
As explained, Color TV is a large assist trophy making it’s Smash debut. It was one of the first consoles created, and is part of Nintendo’s first series of consoles. It’s the second model, predated by Color TV 6, a Pong machine. The number comes from the different versions of pong playable on the machine, 15. The white, default version is used in Smash.

It is interesting that Sakurai references Space Invaders, a series owned by Taito, whose parent company is Square Enix. While there’s not a large meaning behind it, it’s likely just a note to understand when this console was released in the 70s.

The image displays Samus and Zero Suit Samus in combat (whose Down Special appears to have a nice afterimage!), while the Color TV 15 begins its cycle. The perfect syncing simulates a pong game in the middle of the arena. Players hit by the ball will get damaged and knocked back, and players hitting the paddles will just get knocked back. It is unknown how long the match goes for, and if the same match is played again and again or not.

Sakurai noting that this is the oldest game to join the series has a bit of a troublesome worry. If this explicitly means video games, then potential historical candidate Daitoryo is still in the running. However, his wording could mean out of Nintendo’s history in general, and since Daitoryo goes further back, it could mean disconfirmation. This is purely personal speculation by the author, but at the least, it’s likely that anything before Color 15 in regards to video gaming is out.

Here’s what a few users had to say about this POTD:

It's good to see Sakurai has his priorities straight. Imagine all the hate he would've got if the paddles didn't move linearly.
@Empyrean

Ah yes... This takes me back!
Back to the days where all we got for PotD were Direct recaps...
@Tackman91

That's a funny way to spell Pong...
@Mega Bidoof

Even though we saw this before, it's really appreciated that he's telling this tidbits of information. It's always great to know things from the inside and outside about games.
@CardiganBoy
Things Confirmed for Thursday:

1. Zero Suit Samus's Down special leaves an afterimage.
2. Space Invaders, a third party franchise owned by Taito, has been referenced.
3. Color TV Game 15 is the oldest Video Game-related material to be pulled from Nintendo's history.

All Kinds of Alts for Different Kinds of Folks
Day #5: Friday
Writer: @ Venus of the Desert Bloom Venus of the Desert Bloom

If the Monday Wire Frame Mac wasn't enough; we have yet another update regarding alt costumes. This time the Villager was confirmed to not only have a female version but also various versions that can be found in the Animal Crossing game! Generally, the look and appearance of a Villager is determined by a set number of questions asked to the player prior to start his or her adventure.

There are a wide amount of facial features the player can take. However, they are able to adjust the hair and makeup at various salons if need be.

Sakurai had this to say inregards to the PotD:

"Pic of the day. You can choose to play as the girl villager too!! How lovely."
The following faces, besides the typical Villager from City Folk that we know of, are as follows:

http://animalcrossing.wikia.com/wiki/Face_Styles_Guide

All of these are taken from City Folk instead of New Leaf is may seem strange to some due to the fact that New Leaf is the newest game in the series and, typically, representation in Smash is at times limited to recency. This does seem to be the case and, instead, a non recent title is being represented over a more recent.

In addition, it is unknown if other costumes such as tshirts and dresses will be available. I personally thought these would for sure get in:

Given by how popular and memorable those t-shirt and dress designs were.

It is notable that this is the third alternate costume revealed thus far in addition to Wire Mac and Mr. Fit. It is also the third consecutive alternative costume for a newcomer. Many thought that a costume for the Villager was a given those this is a no brainer for many. However, being the third time an alternative costume was revealed, I don't think its far to say that alternative costumes will be a moderately big portion of Smash bros. and potentially other newcomers and veterans will have the ability to swap costumes. Overall, the sheer amount of customization and reverence to the source material is admirable and extremely exciting.

yes! sakurai you did not disappoint!
and not just a female villager skin, but completely different villagers!!
@extremechiton

Hmm, actual sorta kinda news.
@Matunas

I don't like the Villager...but that's really cool!
HURRAY FOR GENDER EQUALITY!
@KenithTheGatherer

Jesus christ what is up with the guy with the No 6 shirt.

But yeah, this really neat!
@SchAlternate

Love this update, though I hope there's more villagers than this, I need the brown eyes with eyelashes, the girl version is there, so hopefully the guy one is there.

Sakurai really likes that detail, props.
@XStarWarriorX

Things confirmed for Friday

1. The Villager will have a female gender available.
2. Both the male and female will have alternate costumes.

Overview
This week had a fair amount of new and old information such as Monday's Wire Frame Mac or the Pong Assist Trophy on Tuesday. However, we received some new information such as Wednesday's Brittany trophy reveal as well as some Pikmin 3 representation, a new move for Charizard that can actually damage him when it connects, and the that the Villager is able to have various costumes as well as have the female model available. Smash fans are counting down the days until the E3 madness and information storm that will occur. I guess you can call this the calm before the storm.​

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Week in Interview Interview of the Week

@Frostwraith

Frostwraith is a contributing member to Smashboards as well as a moderator since earlier this year. Known for his computer expertise, programming, and IT prowess, Frostwraith has been very instrumental in helping keeping Smashboards going. He is also an avid supporter of anything Kid Icarus with Dark PIt being one of his more supported characters. He is also an avid fan of Soul Eater as you can tell from his signature images. He has also been a great help in tWiR and has become an integral part of the team! I hope you enjoy this interview and getting to know our frosty moderator!

1) How long have you been a member on Smashboards and why did you join? When did you become a moderator for Smashboards?

I've been a member on Smashboards since June 26th, 2012 and I became a mod on February 10th, 2014.

The main reason I joined was to speculate and talk about the upcoming Smash Bros. game.
2) What is your favorite part of Smashboards? What is your least favorite part?
My favorite part is the discussion of the new games and overall the community sense this site offers. My least favorite part is whenever a flame war over which Smash game is better starts, mainly those Melee vs. Brawl debates. I think we should respect each other's tastes.
3) Will you be getting Super Smash Bros. for Wii U or 3DS?
Both, of course!
4) Who are your Mains in 64/Melee/Brawl? Who do you plan to main in Smash 4?
I never played Smash 64, but anyway, my main in Melee is Mewtwo, though I also like Ganondorf and in Brawl, my main is Ganondorf and I also use Olimar a lot. Most of the time I'm selecting the random option. It's more fun that way.

In Smash 4, I may be keeping Ganondorf as my main and I'm really hopeful that he's revamped. Of the newcomers, I think Greninja might my favorite pick, followed by Rosalina and Little Mac. I probably will be playing random characters as before, though. :laugh:
5) Who is your most wanted newcomer for Smash 4? More than one answer is ok.
I would like to see the Avatar (Robin) from Fire Emblem: Awakening and Dark Pit from Kid Icarus: Uprising playable.

Though not a newcomer, I'd like to see Mewtwo return after his absence in Brawl.
6) What stages would you like to see included in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS? Past stages included?
I'd like to see the Temple stage from Melee return, as well as Delfino Plaza from Brawl. As for new stages, I still wish for a Bowser's Castle stage. Most of my wanted stages already made in the game, such as Skyloft and Rainbow Road.
7) What would you like to see improved or expanded from Super Smash Bros. Brawl?
I'd like to have a bigger soundtrack than Brawl. I'd also like to have online play to be less laggy.
8) What was your most favorite Smash Bros. moment/memory?
Hard choice! But, I still remember when I was playing Melee with my friends on the Onett stage, a Wobbuffet was summoned and then, he was hit by a car. Hilarity happened with Wobbuffet wobbling like crazy, dealing tons of damage to anyone who touched him.
9) Where did your username come from?
My username comes from when I played Warcraft III, which was before I joined this site. One of the factions on that game is the Undead Scourge, which is themed after death and ice. Being a RTS, there were several types of units, one of them being heroes that had randomly generated names that were related to the faction's themes. My username is inspired by that and I started using it for online stuff, be it instant messaging, online games, you name it.

By the time I registered here, I was simply too used to that username and didn't want to come up with a new one.
10) How is the Smash scene in Portugal? Have you had any success with finding players or tournaments?
Almost nonexistent. Smash isn't really popular here. Then again, I'm not much of a competitive player...
11) You are an avid supporter of Dark Pit. While he has many supporters, he equally has the same amount of detractors. Why do you think he could be a justifiable addition and work as an unique character and not a clone of Pit?
At this point, I would be fine with him as an alt. costume for Pit! :laugh:

Anyway, I think he could be a unique character, despite being a doppelganger of Pit. There are a ton of weapons in Kid Icarus: Uprising, some of which appear in Pit's moveset and others as items. Even so, there's still a large number of weapons that could give Dark Pit a unique feel. He could have his signature weapon, Dark Pit Staff, which works like a sniper. Perhaps he could use a club for a slow, heavy hitting attack, or claws for fast, easier combos.

With over 100 weapons, each with its own quirks, there's a lot to work from. Even Palutena could have some of those in her moveset, given she uses one of them in the Kid Icarus anime shorts.

Yeah, that's pretty much it. This argument could actually be used for Toon Link and look at what happened... As for him being a justifiable character, that is subjective. I support him because I like the character, that's all. I acknowledge Palutena has better chances than him.
12) What is something that is currently on your bucket list
There are plenty of places in the world I'd like to visit, such as Japan, Scandinavia, the Azores Archipelago in Portugal or Australia. I like travelling a lot and the world is so big, there's always new places to learn about.

13) Please tell us one thing about yourself that we may not know?
A big hobby of mine is what's called radio DXing, which is receiving distant radio signals, sometimes over hundreds of kilometers away. Exceptions aside, I always take a portable radio wherever I go.

Since last year I've gotten into anime and manga, having watched/read several different series. My favorites so far (top 5) are Soul Eater, Blue Exorcist, Attack on Titan, Death Note and Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood.

Other interests of mine are philosophy, history, geography and science overall. I believe there's no such thing as too much knowledge.

Thank you @Frostwraith for agreeing to an interview! Check back next week for a new interview! Could it be you?!

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Stage Analysis:
Final Destination

Author: @MaskO’Gears

Fire and Ice
By Robert Frost

Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I’ve tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.

Revealed for the first time in the April Nintendo Smash Direct, the neural Final Destination makes its fourth appearance on a home console. Final Destination serves as a staple of the Smash Bros. series, being one of few stage hazard and platformless stages. It’s unknown if this version will appear on the 3DS.

Origin

Appearing in the first Smash Bros. game (Super Smash Brothers, 1999), the Final Destination (Japanese: Shūten, lit. "Final Point") was a single player mode exclusive stage. As its name suggests, this stage was where players would fight the Boss of one player mode, Master Hand.

The stage was flat and without stage hazards, as to provide a neutral battle ground for fighting Master Hand without distractions. As the battle progresses and Master Hand takes damage, the background changes. Outside of one player mode, it could only be accessed by hacking. The stage then made a reappearance in Melee and Brawl, with each incarnation receiving different aesthetic changes.

-Melee-

-Brawl-

Stage Layout

Other than transitioning between beautiful HD backgrounds, and the stage itself, Final Destination has always been featureless, flat and medium sized stage. This version is no different. Being a neutral stage, Final Destination is considered one of few tournament legal stages.

Final Destination usually appears with technological designs and this version is no different, but the normal version also appears more like the original (Ancient ruins); more naturalistic. Roots and lava can be seen on the righthand side, and gem or ice on the left. As for the Background, we’ve seen space with Earth and the Sun impossibly close to each other, and an ocean overlooking a beautiful sunrise.

But, due to creator Masahiro Sakurai’s concern for players who play often on this stage missing out on the rest of the diverse stages has incorporated a new feature that allows most stages to become functionally a Final Destination Stage, while retaining its aesthetic assets.

Not only is this a refreshing take on the Final Destination, but this allows most stages with these features to be competitively legal. Some may have noticed that not all the stages have a ‘ledge’, instead, some like Mario Galaxy and Wily Castle Destination have cliff-like edges.

Music

Most stages in the Smash Bros. games play music from said stage’s game. Mario music for Mario Stages, Zelda Stages for Zelda Stages, and so on. The Final Destination, being an original stage to the Smash Bros. Franchise, contains all original tracks. While no music has been officially confirmed for this stage has been confirmed, we can take a logical guess as to what play.

Super Mash Bros. 4 Main theme, or a variation of it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncXk1YjhzKE

Final Destination: Melee
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8EfpcF9rRc

Final Destination: Brawl
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLJuT8zPmvA

Smash Bros. 64 End Credits Remix
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPQBAnM5Xww
(Heard during the April Direct)

Opening: Melee
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YB2hQicc13Q
Screenshots

And as a bonus, a small gif.

Conclusion

The new Final Destination, though functionally the same, has received some major aesthetic changes. The contrast between nature and technology, Fire and Ice, adds an interesting and welcome change. Players will also enjoy the different versions, picking their favorite ‘background’ for neutral battling. No Smash game would be complete without the Final Destination, and the latest version appears the greatest yet.

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
We Want YOU to Vote! Results

Which Types would You like to see in a Pokemon Stadium 3
Last week, I polled the readers on, if there is to be a Pokemon Stadium 3, which types would the readers like to see appear as transitional phases, In Pokemon Stadium 1, it was:
  1. Rock
  2. Water
  3. Fire
  4. Grass
In Pokemon Stadium 2, it was:
  1. Ground
  2. Ice
  3. Flying
  4. Electric
With Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS coming soon, a Pokemon Stadium 3 is near guaranteed to appear as a stage. However, there are still some types let unrepresented. Therefore, I was curious to what types people think would appear or would like to appear. Here is how the votes broke down:
  1. Normal
    2 vote(s)
    6.5%
  2. Fighting
    7 vote(s)
    22.6%
  3. Bug
    6 vote(s)
    19.4%
  4. Psychic
    15 vote(s)
    48.4%
  5. Ghost
    19 vote(s)
    61.3%
  6. Steel
    6 vote(s)
    19.4%
  7. Dark
    10 vote(s)
    32.3%
  8. Dragon
    13 vote(s)
    41.9%
  9. Poison
    5 vote(s)
    13.9%
  10. Fairy
    26 vote(s)
    83.9%
  11. ???
    0 vote(s)
    0.0%
I allowed for multiple votes seeing as how the stage offers a total of four types. If there were more than 4 votes her voter, I had planned to nix the vote but, fortunately, I did not have to resort to that. First place was taken by Fairy, the new type that was introduced in Pokemon X and Y with 26 votes or an astounding 83.9% of the votes. This is almost a given due to the type's relevancy due to X and Y. Ghost came in second with 19 votes or 61.3% of the total votes. Ghost is a popular type that would due well as a transitional phase. Third place was given to Psychic which got 15 votes or 48.4% of the total votes. Finally, fourth place was taken by Dragon which received 13 votes and 41.9% of the total votes. Therefore, we would have our four representational types for Pokemon Stadium 3. The other types fared well: Dark (10, 32.3%), Fighting (7, 22.6%), Bug (6, 19.4%), Steel (6, 19.4%), Poison (5, 12.9%), Normal (2, 6.5%), and ??? (0, 0%).

Now, how would these four types be represented in Smash. Sadly, I had an underwhelming amount of responses in terms on how they would be implemented. I assume this is to people failing to read the entire Review and just voting (maybe I should of included "Explain why you voted the way you did" in the Poll title?) Or maybe people are just lazy. Regardless, @ Pazzo. Pazzo. did respond:

fighting, ghost and fairy. Fighting would appear as a dojo, ghost as a haunted house, and fairy as a fountain in the woods.
If you are interested in letting the Review know why you voted the way you did, please respond in a post!

Now, here is how I feel Fairy, Ghost, Psychic, and Dragon would appear in a Pokemon Stadium 3:

Fairy

I picture something resembling the Lavarre City Gym with a doll house in the center. This allows players to climb up it's three stories much like Luigi's Mansion. The doll house would have elegant designs, flowing draperies, and sparkling dust in the air. Represented Pokemon could potentially included:
  • Sylveon
  • Flabebe
  • Spritzee
  • Slurpuff
  • Carbink
  • Mr. Mime
  • Chansey
  • Snubull
  • Ralts
Ghost

The Ghost phase could contain a graveyard with spirits flowing around it. Behind in the background looms a dilapidated houses. Players can jump on the gravestones but they can potentially fall over; releasing the spirits inside. Represented Pokemon could include:

• Trevenant
  • Pumpkaboo
  • Honedge
  • Gengar
  • Banette
  • Dusknoir
  • Yamask
  • Spiritomb
  • Chandelure
Psychic

The Psychic type could take some influence from its representation in gyms and allow for transporters that can teleport players around the stage. Visually, purple, swirling vortexes float in the background with objects floating in mid-air. Pokemon representatives could include:

• Alakazam
  • Meowstic
  • Meditite
  • Sigilyph
  • Mr. Mime
  • Elgyem
  • Reuniculus
  • Gothitelle
  • Munna
  • Chimecho
  • Hypno
  • Espeon
Dragon

The Dragon phase could have an ancient tower with scorched marks on it in the background. It could have ledges for players to climb up and jump off on. On occasion, parts of the tower could crumble and fall down to the stage. Pokemon representatives could include:
  • Dragonite
  • Axew
  • Salamance
  • Garchomp
  • Druddigon
  • Goomy
  • Flygon
  • Hydreigon
  • Tyrunt
  • Noivern
Of course, this list could extend to the types that placed lower but that would take a lot of time and could be saved for a Stage Discussion analysis. Another possible outcome that the stage, Kalos Pokemon League, would serve to replace the Pokemon Stadium stages. If this was the case, two unrepresented types: Steel and Dragon would appear while already represented types: Fire and Water would appear. It is unknown if this will happen but it is very likely given the nature of the stage's origin.

We Want YOU to Vote!

Gematsu/Sal Romano Leak: Real or Fake?
Do you think the Gematsu/Sal Romano leak is true? The leak is calling for Shulk, Palutena, Mii, Chrom,and the Rhythm Men to be playable along with Pac Man. Another leak by Sal Romano surfaced last year prior to E3 stating that the Villager, Mega Man, Wii Fit Trainer, Little Mac, Mii, and Pac Man would appear at E3. Only 3 of those did but Little Mac was revealed in February. This newest leak is calling for the aforementioned newcomers to appear at E3 yet again. Let's us know by voting!

• Yes, it is true.
  • No, it is false.
  • I want it to be true.
  • I want it to be fake.
  • I have no opinion.
  • I am ok if it is either false or real.
  • Other

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Misc Information/Requests
The WiR is a huge commitment for me. I typically spend anywhere from an hour to 5 hours of my day making sure the WiR is as good as it can be. But I do have a job that I constantly have to prepare and study for as long as taking online classes myself and studying Japanese to further my career. Not to mention I have a social life, a wife, and commitments that conflicts with the WiR.

Therefore, I depend A LOT on outside help. If you would like to help write a WiR, please contact me via Private Message and we can work out the details. If you have any idea or would like to contribute something different, I am open to ideas. For example, the veteran analysis was entirely @APC99’s idea. I could also use some help in finding quotes, watching threads, and proofreading. If you see some interesting posts that you think may help me in writing the WiR, simply quote it in a Private Message or quote/tag me in your post on that thread. That way, I am sure to read it and within its context.

Secondly, I want to open to three Requests I have for people. If you are interested in helping out, please put "____________ Submission" so I know what you are applying for.

Little Mac Newcomer Analysis

Are you planning on maining Mac? Was he one of your most wanted characters? Or are you interested in writing about him? I am looking for a capable writer to help cover the Little Mac analysis.

If you want to write up a analysis on Little Mac, hit me up on PM.​

Link

Link Veteran Analysis

Are you a Link main and want to try your hand at writing an analysis? Contact me and we can work out the details!

Potential Character Analysis: Ridley

Are you an avid supporter of Ridley! Show your knowledge of the space dragon by writing up an analysis of how Ridley would be incorporated into Smash! Everything from move sets, stats, game play, and more! Contact me for more details!

Stage Analysis

Are you interested in writing about stages? Feel free to contact me and apply to write about a Stage Analysis!

Here is a list that you can choose from!
1. Spirit Train

2. Tomodachi Collection

3. Arena Ferox

4. Mario Galaxy
Taken

5. Windy Hill
Taken

6. Garden of Hope

Let me know if you are able to write an analysis for either one of these stages!​

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Please note that the 05.13.2014 article is currently being written so please hold on until we finish that.

D

Deleted member

I think that the Gematsu leak is real...
I could care less about five of the characters remaining on the leak. However, I want it to be real for one reason and one character only; Shulk. It would make my day if he got confirmed for Smash.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
We also learned that Rock Smash is still here. But this time, it is mapped to the Side Special. Opinions were mixed-to-positive about this.
You might want to fix that up a bit.

Also, no diary? That makes me sad.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」

There were some complications. Don't worry, it will be up soon.

Also: I picked other on the poll. I don't feel like the evidence against it weighs toward a negative or positive, but it has a lot of things going for it, so we just need to wait and gather more evidence.

Jumpman84

Smash Lord
NNID
Jumpman84
3DS FC
3695-0041-5877

I think the diary is a fake. There is simply no way anyone could keep breaking in and stealing his diary without him noticing. Surely the fact he has to keep buying a new one each week should have tipped him off...

As for the leak, people have discussed the first one to death already. Once we get Pac-Man and Mii confirmed, then we can say that the first leak was real. The second leak is kinda fishy, but if they get all the characters rights, then it's real.

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
There's no feasible way that the Chorus Boys or whatever they are called will be playable. And if SOMEHOW the "leak" is true, I still hope it isn't, thus why I chose "I want it to be fake" instead of "I think it's fake".

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Also: I picked other on the poll. I don't feel like the evidence against it weighs toward a negative or positive, but it has a lot of things going for it, so we just need to wait and gather more evidence.
I went with "I am ok if it is real or fake." As I have no real strong opinion on the whether or not it is real and don't really care either way either. I'm really not stressed over the roster and don't really care which new characters get in as long as they keep the quality they have been having so far.

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
I did "I have no opinion on the matter."
I really don't care if it's true or not.

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I think the diary is a fake. There is simply no way anyone could keep breaking in and stealing his diary without him noticing. Surely the fact he has to keep buying a new one each week should have tipped him off...
There's an insider who will remain Nameless that infiltrates Sakurai's cat house where Sakurai keeps his diary. This is done while Sakurai plays with his Nintengurines in the other room. Nameless copies the diary page flawlessly and replaces to the original with the fake page...and cats are petted before Nameless escapes. He brings it to me in exchange for .... Nothing really and I translate it and post it here.

It's • 100% • legit

Last edited:

abrinx77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Abrinx
As far as the Sal leak goes I'm pretty torn. Some I agree with and some I don't. Palutena is happening in some way shape or form, combining this with the still un-disproven leaked pictures I say she is 100% a lock, and it makes sense considering A. Sakurai recently revived Kid Icarus and B. They are pushing fairly heavily for more female inclusions this time around. Pac-Man is a sure fire inclusion as well. One of the biggest icons in video game history, as well as the fact that Namco gets special items where other third parties don't makes me think he's in for sure. Shulk could happen, representing a new series as well as being a popular pick both here and in Japan, I don't know the character well enough to want or not want him so I'm neutral there. The Mii would feel very redundant at this point. Not only do we have two avatar-esque characters already(Villager and WFT) but we also have customisable moves for all characters. If the Mii had been included with WFT not appearing and Villager being swapped for Tom Nook, I think the Mii would be much more appealing. Customization is kind of the Mii's thing though, and its already included without the Mii. The Mii is being pushed to the moon by Nintendo though, with two or three potential stages already, I can see it happening as well. Chorus Boys is just a bizzare thing, while it does seem like it could be right up Sakurai's alley, it just seems too out of place. Three full characters on the screen at once could be quite a hassle for the 3DS as well. On the whole, I suppose I'd be okay with it, but something feels off about it, like its missing something. Swapping out the Mii and Chorus Boys for another WTF character and one of the big three would make it much more appealing. Finally, there is no retro character, something Sakurai specifically hinted at for this game(unless Little Mac, Pac-Man or Megaman counts, but they were all active/revived before Sakurai got a hold of them.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom