• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Week in Review Issue #14

Who is your favorite Newcomer thus far?

• Villager

Votes: 9 10.2%
  • Mega Man

Votes: 21 23.9%
  • Wii Fit Trainer

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • Rosalina and Luma

Votes: 24 27.3%
  • Little Mac

Votes: 17 19.3%
  • Greninja

Votes: 10 11.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
The Week in Review Edition #14
4/14 - 4/18

Banner by @ Venus of the Desert Bloom Venus of the Desert Bloom

Staff
Writers:

@ Venus of the Desert Bloom Venus of the Desert Bloom
@TumblrFamous
@---
@Opossum
@ Mario & Sonic Guy Mario & Sonic Guy
@ Frostwraith Frostwraith

@ Pazzo. Pazzo.
@BigAxle

Editor:
@Aerodrome

I would like to say a big and huge thank you to:
Previous Issues

[collapse=Previous Issues]
To view the previous issues
Issue #1
Issue #2
Issue #3
Issue #4
Issue #5
Issue #6
Issue #7
Issue #8
Issue #9
Issue #10
Issue #11
Issue #12
Issue #13
Issue #13 Direct
[/collapse]

Want to help or contribute?

[collapse=Rules and Other Infos]This is the first edition of "The Week in Review". The Week in Review will be a series of articles I have made throughout the week concerning the Pic of Day through using posts, threads, and MiiVerse to pool information and opinions about Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS . However, the articles are not only limited to my own observation but to those of the larger Smash 4 community. Users are encouraged to submit articles and observations as well as opinions concerning the pictures that were updated throughout the week. I will explain how you can contribute later.

So what can you expect from this thread? On Friday, I will update the thread with a new article which will contain the Pic of the Day, other relevant images, information, I will also be pulling out interesting and thought provoking posts that have popped up throughout the week on the various threads such as the Wii U Discussion thread, 3DS Discussion Thread, MiiVerse Photo Thread, Roster Discussion Thread, character support threads as well as the Super Smash Bros, Wii U/3DS Backroom thus linking them altogether. In addition, I will also be adding up any information that Sakurai has revealed outside of the website/MiiVerse such as interviews and news articles.

I will open the thread on the weekend for people to talk about how the week went and comment on the articles. However, I will be closing the thread on Monday in order to prevent premature discussion about the weeks updates. I will be operating on Japanese Standard Time since both myself and Sakurai (OMG both of us in the same sentence?!?!?!) live on JST. View the JST Page in order to fully understand how time works.

Additionally, while this thread will focus on solely the Pic of the Day, I will sometimes allow pieces to be written about Smashboards, the Smash Community, MiiVerse, or Sakurai information. Additionally, once we have more information regarding the nature of the character, I will allow a user to write up an in-depth analysis of a character, veteran or newcomer. So come show your stuff!

Why is this thread needed?
We do have various discussion threads pertaining to various aspects of Smash. However, this is less of a discussion thread and more like a newsletter. I intend to present the facts and portray an unbiased review of the week. It will also serve as a hub to collect information, pictures, and articles that have been released in a weekly format thus allowing users to review the past weeks for better understanding how to predict future updates or to comb through information in an effective manner. It will also serve as a place to users to present their information, opinions, and observations in a semi-academical format. More information is listed below. If you see an interesting, funny, thought-provoking, or ridiculous post either on the SWF or on MiiVerse, PM me about it and I will include it! If you want me to remove you from a certain Tag, PM me and I will take you off.

Also, I wanted to use this space to allow users to be creative and constructive in speculating Smash in a more journalistic manner. I will not edit any posts except if they are inappropriate, bypass the censor, hateful in nature, or irrelevant.

How can I help?

You can contribute to this thread in many ways.
1) You can serve as a guest writer. This is done by contacting me via PM and apply to be a guest writer for the current week. I am able to allow or refuse the guest writer based on past credentials and reputation within the Smash 4 community so please keep that in mind.

After approval, I can either give you a piece to write OR you can choose one yourself. It should be focused on a particular Pic of the Day. Please promptly let me know which one you intend to. If I do not hear from you within a day, I will not accept an article. The article itself should be professionally written with little to no grammar or spelling mistakes. Any sources should be cited with a link to direct readers. While I understand some updates may be hard to write for, please write at least two paragraphs for each update. Unless it is an update of Luigi's nose but I am sure someone can find some Freudian psycho-analysis about that update. Please refer to the first edition post about how to write an article (though I am pretty sure many journalist/lit majors can do a much better job than I can lol).

2) You can help me gather posts that are excellent or at least interesting in nature. PM me any posts concerning a particular update and I will then add it to the articles. I frequent the above mentioned threads on a daily basis but I obviously miss things so I am heavily dependent on everyone getting me those great and thought-provoking posts. I want this thread to showcase what the brilliant minds in the Smash 4 community can do!

3) While you can discuss past and future weeks, please refrain from dissecting or analyzing the previous/future weeks and save that for the current week.

4) Could someone be a dear and make a banner for this thread. It's not urgent but a banner would be grand.[/collapse]

Table of Contents

1.1 Day #1: Greninja makes a Splash!
2.1 Day #2: Gerudo Destination
3.1 Day #3: Samus' Workout
4.1 Day #4: TAC Attack!
5.1 Day #5: A 3DS Focus?
6.1 Week Overview
7.1 Week in Review Interview: @Shortiecanbrawl
8.1 Veteran Analysis: Peach by @TumblrFamous
9.1 Stage Analysis: Wily Castle
10.1 Mega Man Franchise Analysis
11.1 We Want YOU to Vote! Results

Greninja makes a Splash!
04/14/2014
Day#1: Monday

Writer: Venus of the Desert Bloom

Greninja finally makes his appearance on the Picture of the Day and we have a little more information on how this Ninja Pokemon plays. What's more is that Sakurai also uploaded a second photo with more information:

He is what Sakurai had to say about these two pictures:

"Pic of the day. Here's a very, very new fighter in the upcoming Smash games, Greninja. Greninja's sophisticated moves are extremely fun to use once you get used to how it controls!"
"The side special attack Shadow Sneak is a move that makes Greninja suddenly disappear and ambush opponents. If you press and hold the button, Greninja will move a greater distance. Another unique feature is you can move Greninja around freely while charging up."
Sakurai seems to emphasis that Greninja might be a fairly technical character and rather hard to master. This could potentially be due to his overall stats, move set, or learning curve. Certainly, some users thought Greninja might be a little awkward considering his springy play style. Greninja is easily portrayed as a quick, speedy character with powerful ninja-like attacks and strong aerials.

However, nothing portrays this playstyle as his now confirmed Side Special, Shadow Sneak. This attack will allow Greninja to vanish from the opponents eyes and then reappear to deliver a powerful attack. The longer you hold the button the farther Greninja moves. Sakurai also confirmed that players can freely while charging this up. It is unsure if this means that players have to continuously hold down the Special button after inputting the Side Special or not. As well, it is unsure if this attack will commence after a duration of time or after the player releases the Special button.

For those unfamiliar with the Pokemon franchise, here is a brief description of Shadow Sneak:
The user extends its shadow and attacks the target from behind. This move always goes first.
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Shadow_Sneak_(move)

This happens to be one of the attacks unique to Greninja and not its pre-evolutions. Shadow Sneak is also the second Ghost-type attack aside from Shadow Ball.

Greninja fans and Smash 4 speculators had this to say about this PotD:

So basically Shadow Sneak is like the new Dimensional Cape?
@deadjames

Hmmm... Sounds like Greninja players will need good spacial reasoning if they want to keep a track of where they are. I think it'll be like the spies in Team Fortress, terrifying for newcomers but an annoyance for veterans.
@Guybrush20X6

So, we pretty much know all of Greninja's B moves now.

B: Water Shuriken
Side B: Shadow Sneak
Down B: Substitute
Up B: Aqua Jet/Quick Attack/Hydro Pump

.....and looking at moves he can use, I'm going to go ahead and say they'll call his Final Smash Night Slash.
@ Shroob Shroob

Greninja can't learn Aqua Jet.

I think his recovery might actually be Water Sport.

Still, I enjoy it when Pokemon's special moves are actual moves they learn! :3
@Swampasaur

If you want to discuss about Greninja speculation, go to this thread:
http://smashboards.com/threads/greninja-speculation-thread.351997/

and for Greninja move set speculation, go here:
http://smashboards.com/threads/greninjas-moveset.352001/

Things Confirmed for Monday:

1. Shadow Sneak is Greninja's side special
2. The longer it is charged, the further Greninja can go.
3. Greninja can move while charging it.

Gerudo Destination
04/15/2014
Day #2: Tuesday

Writer: MaskO`Gears

(Title of this analysis courtesy of Vegito2727)
Last week’s onslaught of information brought an interesting surprise: Most Stages in Super Smash Bros. 4 will have a regular version (platforms, stage hazards) and a Final Destination version (flat, no other features.) Tuesday’s pic brought us our first look at one of the 3DS stages in Final Destination mode; Gerudo Valley.

Gerudo Valley is a location fromThe Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

This valley is located to the west ofHyrule Field and is divided by a large chasm, at the bottom of which liesZora's River, whose waters flow toLake Hylia. To the west of the valley lies theGerudo's Fortress.

http://zelda.wikia.com/wiki/Gerudo_Valley

Sakurai said:
Pic of the day. This is the final destination version of Gerudo Valley. No more surprise visits from Koume and Kotake, and the bridge is gone. There are no distractions and there's nowhere to run. And the score that plays in the background is "Gerudo Valley."
Sakurai said:
You can make most stages turn into a final destination. Depending on the stage, it might be floating in midair or perched on a cliff.
The “Gerudo Destination” is a simple mesa with three platforms covering the top, they also stick out slightly, creating an ‘edge’ hated by some users of the Brawl Final Destination. The edge does look small though in the Pic of the Day, so it might not be a problem, as characters might just grab the ledge.

Compare “Gerudo Destination” new picture to the previous version:

While it’s hard to notice, the three platforms that cover the “Gerudo Destination” are similar to the platforms that stand to either side of the bridge.

Sakurai also points out the differences between the two versions of the stage, noting that in this mode, Gerudo Valley is a completely neutral stage.

Here’s what a few members on Smashboards had to say about this version of the new stage;

I like how even after the direct, Sakurai is able to give us new info. ^_^
@ThatWasPeachy

New stage (ish)

Always nice.
@juddy96

I'm totally loving this "FD-version for most of the stages"-thing! I wonder which stages WON'T have one...
@Staarih

Well I guess A FD is technically right. Also hoping the alt/2nd song plays as well, and isn't limited to normal modes.
@IsmaR

Well that's something new. I guess there's still a lot to show.
@Guybrush20X6

Awesome! I told youuu Sakurai would still give us cool stuff. Totally unexpected, I love it! Bring on more FDs!
@Radical Beam

Thats awesome we have FD versions of the 3ds versions. They looked way too dynamic for me.
@TumblrFamous

I like that he mentioned the music. Maybe we'll get actual music updates soon!
@relaxedexorcist

Tuesday's PoTD was a simple update, most seemed pleased with it.

Things confirmed for Tuesday:

1. Gerudo Valley will have a FD version.
2. Final Destination stages will appear on the 3DS version.

(Thanks again to @ Rocket Raccoon Rocket Raccoon , you made this analysis a little easier.)​

Samus's Workout
04/16/2014
Day #3: Wednesday

Writer: Frostwraith

Wednesday's picture showed Zero Suit Samus and Wii Fit Trainer on the Wii Fit Studio stage. It's hard to understand what is going on here.

This is what Sakurai had to say:
Pic of the day. Ready now? Together with me!
Sounds like another filler pic. Anyway, here are some comments of fellow Smashboards members. They mostly expressed confusion, while also poking fun at it.

Whoa, early pic tonight. Filler pic, but still cool.
@Bausuke

Besides two beautiful behinds, I'm not really sure what's going on here.
@ Shroob Shroob

Yeah, what's with the afterimages?
@Hippopotasauce

]I'm trying to figure out what exactly that is.

I don't remember characters falling to the ground head first in Brawl.
@ThatWasPeachy

Not a clue what that is. BTW, why does every joke pic involve either WFT or Luigi? Sakurai doing it for the lulz.
@juddy96

great. Zero Suit Samus is a Wii Fit Trainer clone...
@Buci01

Some observed about the afterimages seen on the background of the stage, which only added to the confusion. Perhaps it's part of the stage? An obstacle? Guess those are some questions that will remain unanswered.

Things Confirmed for Wednesday:

1. Afterimages of the characters seem to appear on the Wii Fit Studio stage with an unknown purpose.

TAC Attack!
04/17/2014
Day #4: Thursday

Writer: BigAxle

Thursday’s Image brought us a picture of Donkey Kong engaging in minion beatdown on a Skuttler Soldier, unfortunately ignoring what’s going on right behind him. TAC is sneaking up on him, and readying his attack with his Steal Bag.

Description (via Sakurai’s Miiverse):
Sakurai said:
“Pic of the day. Tac (on the left) steals your charged power. If you've charged up a lot, he might steal a ton of it. Chase after him quickly to get it back!!”
This is the second image of Smash Run, exclusive to the 3DS version, shown in a Pic Of The Day. This image is set in an area in the lower left sector of Smash Run’s Labyrinth. It’s just out of view in the map of the stage shown in this image below (taken from the Super Smash Bros, Direct. While it’s not a new image, exactly, it’s one that confirms and clarifies upon speculated aspects of TAC.

However, a better look can be found of this section in motion in the Smash Run info trailer in the 4.8.2014 Super Smash Bros. Direct.

For those unfamiliar with TAC, here’s a quick description of TAC from KirbyWiki.
Kirby Wiki said:
TAC (originally T.A.C.) is an enemy in the Kirby games. He is a cat-like burglar dressed in a ninja outfit with sandals, and carries around a bag of stolen goods. TAC first appeared in Kirby Super Star as an enemy and a Helper. He is currently the only source of the rare Copy ability. As such, TAC is also the Helper for the copy ability.
Source: http://kirby.wikia.com/wiki/TAC
In this image, Sakurai confirms that TAC will not be able to steal all of your power ups and charged power, something heavily speculated but only just confirmed. However, he does hint that it is relative to your current power. If you have more power, the likelier it is that TAC will steal a large amount of power. In addition, it’s confirmed furthermore that TAC, once he steals power, will proceed to attempt to flee from the victim. Sakurai’s wording hints at the possibility that TAC will disappear after a certain time has passed, and the player, provided they want to steal their power back from TAC, has a limited time to do so.

This is much in the vein of City Trial, the game mode from Kirby Air Ride that Smash Run is inspired off of. Ironically enough, TAC appears in that game and will do the exact same methods as shown in Smash Run; If he attacks you, you’ll take damage and lose power ups; if you are not quick to take him down and get them back, he’ll disappear.

Here’s a sample of some user reactions and thoughts on this screenshot.

Ah Tac. One of the most annoying enemies in Superstar, but I loved him for it. One of the best times to make the game make you go "OH CRAP NO!" as you desparately try to run past other enemies, and catch up to him. He should be fun here too.
@Keeshu

Eh, I didn't find TAC that annoying.
@C_Mill24

Ah, the generic Smash Run pic. Well, the 3DS graphics are nice!
@MaskO’Gears

Tac's one hand is creepy huge.
Like Diddy's hands.
@ZombieBran

So, TAC. Technically, it has a little new info though, as we did not know that the amount TAC steals is proportional to the power you have gained.
@FalKoopa

Want to discuss Smash Run? Go to the Smash Bros for 3DS Forum!
http://smashboards.com/forums/super-smash-bros-for-3ds-general-discussion.403/
http://smashboards.com/forums/super-smash-bros-for-3ds-general-discussion.403/
Things Confirmed for Thursday:
1. TAC will steal items relative to a player’s current power. The more you have, the more power you’ll likely lose.

2. TAC may disappear or simply despawn if the player isn’t quick enough to take out TAC and steal back their items.

A 3DS Focus?
04/18/2014
Day #5: Friday

Writer: Venus of the Desert Bloom

It seems that Masahiro Sakurai and his team is shifting their focus from the Wii U to 3DS with the amount of 3DS PotD updates. This marks the third 3DS PotD within one week. This could potentially be due to the fact that the 3DS version will be released sometime this Summer.

According to Sakurai...

Pic of the day. The 3DS version will have roughly the same types of Assist Trophies and Pokémon. Just roughly…
Sakurai is obviously hinting that both versions will have the same Assist Trophies and Pokeballs save for a few exceptions though it is unknown to what these differences are. We saw earlier in the Direct that Samuai Goroh would appear again as an Assist Trophy but was revealed only on the 3DS and not on the Wii U. It is most likely that he will appear on both versions.

Moreover, this most recent PotD further cements the Palutena leak. Notice how Isabelle is not outlined compared to Diddy Kong and Yoshi. Many feels like this further confirms Palutena as a playable character.

For the Palutena leak, open up these spoilers:

These leaked images show Palutena as having an outline. While it wasn't confirmed that you can toggle the outline on Assist Trophies, the fact that Isabelle does not have an outline really helps prove this leak as true. However, nothing is confirmed until Sakurai says otherwise so take any leaks with a grain of salt.

MORE CUTE ISABELLE YES

For a while I didn't think there would be any version-exclusive Assist Trophies, due to Assists like the Nintendog and Isabelle appearing on the Wii U version. Looks like we will get some version-exclusive Assists after all.
@KingofPhantoms47

Note: I will be adding member reactions later.

Things confirmed for Friday

1. Assist Trophies will be similar in number to both versions
2. Assist Trophies may or may not have an outline,

Overview
This week wasn't tremendously exciting. This could be in part because of last weeks Super Smash Bros. Direct. Many of the Picture of the Days are, of course, left overs from the Direct. Monday showed us Greninja who had let to appear on the PotD. It also revealed some new information on its side special Shadow Sneak and its mechanics. Tuesday showed us some new information though in that there are Final Destination-versions for the 3DS. This is interesting considering some though this might not happen. It is unsure if other stages will be affected. Wednesday was a rather lackluster picture in terms of new information. It consisted of Zero Suit Samus and Ms. Fit on the Wii Fit Studio stage. So confusion arose with the after-images. Thursday was yet again another Smash Run update showcasing one of the enemies, a Kirby franchise enemy, Tac. It is confirmed to steal any power ups that you have collected! Finally, Friday revealed that both the Wii U and 3DS will have similar Assist Trophies and Pokemon but there may be exclusives of some kind. Overall, it was a rehash of the Direct with some new information sprinkled throughout the week. Not a bad week overall but still interesting.​

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Week in Review Interview
@Shortiecanbrawl

Shortiecanbrawl has been one of the older members that have been around since Smash 4 speculation. He has always shown a love for numbers and actively polls Smash fans on their most wanted favorite character. He has also reached out to the Japanese Smash community in an effort to find who they want to be included in Smash Bros. 4. Outside of his polls, Shortie is known for his love of Tingle, Krystal, and Dixie Kong. So let's get to the interview! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

1) How long have you been a member on Smashboards and why did you join?
As embarrassing as it is, I joined in 2009 because I had seen this video and was wondering if it was real. After that my account went inactive for a few months. I was linked here through an article discussing other rumors about Smash, and that's when I truly started posting frequently on SWF.

2) What is your favorite part of Smashboards? What is your least favorite part?
I think SWF's lack of anonymity is both it's blessing, and it's curse. On one side of the fence I can't deny that I really love the community, and quite a few of the individuals of this community, but I also know because we can be pinpointed, we tend to hold our tongues on certain subject. Other than this, I don't have too many complaints. I think this site does it's job pretty well, when the site is actually up. :smirks:
3) Will you be getting Super Smash Bros. for Wii U or 3DS?
Both. It's more apparent now than ever that the two versions will be much much different from one another. I'm extremely excited by the staggering of the releases. There was a definite fear that the 3DS would cripple the Wii U version because of it's limitations, and I think this extra six months of work is going to do wonders for the Wii U version, as well as ease that fear from most people's minds.
4) Who are your Mains in 64/Melee/Brawl? Who do you plan to main in Smash 4?
Each of these games has been out for quite some time, and the first two for the larger portion of my life so my "mains" have changed a lot, but as it stands I would say I play as Kirby (64), Peach (Melee), and Wolf (Brawl) the most frequently. Bowser, Zelda Doctor Mario, and Jigglypuff all have a special place in my heart though.
5) Who is your most wanted newcomer for Smash 4? More than one answer is ok.
That's such a hard question. I would say it would have to be between Tingle and Krystal, but Dixie Kong and Shulk would be characters who are close behind the first two. As more information is revealed it's always a little exciting (And a little bit nerve wracking to see just who has made it into the game, Assist, Pokeball, Trophy, or Playable.
6) What stages would you like to see included in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS? Past stages included?
The Elite Four stage was always one I had wanted to see in Smash 4. Although I would have preferred the Johto incarnations I'm just glad to see the idea make it into the game. Endless Ocean, Guar Plains, Distortion World, and Stargazer's Tower would all be awesome levels as well.
7) What would you like to see improved or expanded from Super Smash Bros. Brawl?
We've seen characters get revamped, and we've seen some strides to try and balance characters better this time around, so I'm excited about that. We also saw SSE dropped in favor for an adventure mode, which is something I've wanted. Other than these small personal victories I would say stage builder should get a massive expansion.
8) What was your most favorite Smash Bros. moment/memory?
While I have a bunch of personal memories with my friends physically playing Smash together, I would say seeing Sonic revealed back during the Pre-Brawl days was pretty invigorating. I remember how insane it seemed that he managed to make it in. I thought it was such a pipe dream at the time. I'm not particularly big on Sonic, but just seeing him being included was really cool. Probably put a bit too much wind into my sails when it came to the possibility of Geno or Bomberman being included though.
9) Where did your username come from?
Blegh. I hate my username lol. It came from Nsider back in 06' when I was a kid. I was really short, and hyped for Brawl, so... When I made this account a few years later it just felt natural. "Shorts" or "Shortie" are preffered.
10)You have often tried to reach out to the Japanese community in an effort to poll who they feel likely/want as a character. How has the poll been doing and have you gotten any responses? How can it improve or do you feel it has met your expectations? Finally, could you possibly explain how people can get involved with it?
I really like numbers, and I really like Nintendo, so seeing how my favorite Nintendo characters stacked up against each other in a popularity contest felt like a pretty awesome way to pass some of my free time. So, after doing a bunch of English polls, I thought it would be cool to try and poll the Japanese community. Unfortunately multiple attempts have been made by various users to get the poll out onto Japanese Smash sites. All I really need is a user who can use basic proxies to access a Japanese site, and someone who can both read / type basic Japanese. I've actually polled one other non-English Smash community, a French community, so I know it's possible, it's just a matter of finding that special user. You should PM or visit me over at the SSB4 Poll Lounge if you would like to get involved!
11)What element best describes you and why?
I've always identified with water I suppose, and I'm not too sure, although I think Misty and growing up around the Oregon coast have something to do with it.
12) What franchise would you like to see rebooted the most?
I like most of what Nintendo has done with their franchises, with Paper Mario being an exception. I want a true sequel to Paper Mario TTYD.

13) Please tell us one thing about yourself that we may not know?
I've started quite a few career paths in my short life. Chef, Perfumer, and even an English Teacher. I'm currently trying to take up the occupation beach bum right now though.

Thank you Shorts for agreeing to take the interview! Check back next week when we interview yet another member!​

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Group of the Week
Create-a-Smash Project
@God Robert's Cousin
@Ariand/AEM
@Swampasaur
http://smashboards.com/social-forums/create-a-smash-project.1678/

Author: Venus of the Desert Bloom

The Create-a-Smash Project was founded in the locked rooms that is the "Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS Back Room" or "BR" for short. Started by the user Shortiecanbrawl, the intent was to create an entirely user-dependent Super Smash Bros. game from the ground up with a step-by-step process.

Shortiecanbrawl aka Masahiro Sakurai said:
Hey you guys. So I want to make the IDEAL SMASH GAME. I tried to do this in the past, and I think it could be a really cool idea. We will make the roster, the items/Pokeball/ats, the level list, and even the basic moves of each character included. Pretty much, we’re going to act as if we are Sakurai and his team creating the next Smash game. I'll be the "leader" in the sense that I'll organize everything, but the final decisions on things will come down to votes. (What else would you expect from me?) So, without further confusion, let’s look at the roster. I’m going to be making a poll, and I want you all to vote on it. If the character has 40% or more votes, we will discuss adding them to the roster. Sound like a good game?
What inevitably caused the project to fail was inactivity and lost of interest among those participating. That is the number one death of many projects, contests, and collaborations. From that thread, the Create-A-Smash Project or CAS was formed. Staffing the CAS is:

God Robert's Cousin - Founder of the CAS Project, Head of Member Management
Ariand/AEM - Co-founder of the CAS Project, Head Character Coordinator
Swampasaur - Co-founder of the CAS Project, Head Stage Coordinator & Communications Director

These three are what moves the project along though it is often plagued with delays and inactivity due to...well..real lives. Sill, the project has made excellent headway in creating a material for a hypothetical Super Smash Bros, game.

-About the CAS Project-
The CAS Project is dedicated in creating a detailed, hypothetical Super Smash Bros. game for Smashfans to enjoy. As mentioned before, it is headed by members God Robert's Cousin, Ariand/AEM, and Swampasaur. All three serve a particular function within the project:
  • God Robert's Cousin heads up the project and ensures it continues forward. It also starts many of the discussion and voting rounds as well as polls.
  • Ariand/AEM is the character coordinator. He heads up character voting and discussion as well as crafting move sets and play styles using input from users to participated.
  • Swampsaur is the stage coordinator and communications director. He sends PM notifications of new developments and announcements as well as handles the creation of stages.
During each round, a certain aspect of the game is voted, discussed, and agreed upon. For far, the group has finished or in the process three projects:
  • Newcomer: Finished
  • Stage: In Process
  • Veteran: In Process
I will detail these later.
-How can I Participate?-

Admission in the group is INVITATION only. This means that users can only join if invited. If you would like to join, contact any of the following:
@God Robert's Cousin
@Ariand/AEM
@Swampasaur

There is no real requirements but knowledge in either Nintendo, Super Smash Bros., or fighting games definitely helps. Thread creation is limited to the staff members but regular members are free to post in any of the un-locked threads.

In most rounds or parts, posters can either submit a submission or discuss about certain aspects of the topic. This will be discussed further. Posters can also vote in certain polls to decide what the outcome would be.

-How does the CAS Work?-

The CAS has a very detailed and step-by-step process that can be rather slow but in ensures everyone has a say in the end product. Here is an example of how the CAS works:

CASN Part 1: Preliminary Poll
CASN1, short for "Create-A-Smash Newcomer #1", will officially start on the 20th, 3:30 PM CST. In anticipation of that, we'll offer this Quick Poll choice to the community in the mean time.

Before we officially start discussing aspects of our newcomer, we must get a formula down for our series of threads. The CAS Staff need to know which aspect the community would rather focus on first: selecting a popular character from a pool of high-request additions, or creating a new playstyle entirely that might give lesser-requested characters the chance to shine? Whichever the majority votes on will be the first discussion that takes place on the 20th.

I figured I'd start this a little earlier than intended, but the end time will be the same. This poll will last for 27 hours until 3:30 PM CST, 2/19/14. Feel free to make your arguments in the thread so more indecisive members can more easily make their vote.
It was decided that the first newcomer would be created based The new Playstyle itself. This means that the decisions and discussion would revolve around play style concepts rather than actual characters.

Thus started CASN Part 2: Playstyle Discussion:

Welcome to the first official part of our first newcomer project! Here, we will do two things: Propose playstyles and Nominate choices for the poll. For the record, anything in yellow and bold is very important. Don't ignore it.

A playstyle proposition should look something like this:
Name: Rhythm-based Fighter
General Description: A character with universal ending-lag that creates melody upon comboing.
Justification: Smash Bros. lacks characters that truly make combos a type of art. By introducing a Rhythm-based Fighter, we add a unique character that focuses heavily on rewarding the player with well-timed hits and accuracy.
Counterpicks in Mind: Sheik, for being able to break the flow of combos with swift attacks;
Little Mac, for having Super Armor that otherwise shrugs off most of the weaker rhythmic attacks;
Potential Characters: Jimmy T. (WarioWare, Inc.), Tempo (HarmoKnight), Karate Joe (Rhythm Heaven)
Name refers to the title of the playstyle. General Description is a short one to two sentence summary of what the playstyle is. This should not detail poll-jumping specifics, such as how big the character is, how heavy the character is, what elements are in their attacks, etc. Justification is any additional reasoning for the playstyle, why it's unique, why it's worth having, why it won't be broken, etc. Counterpicks in Mind are veterans that can potentially counter this new playstyle. Potential Characters are possible choices for characters to represent a playstyle. Every playstyle needs at least two possible choices. Every proposition needs to include these five aspects.
Nominations should look something like this:

Nominate: Rhythm-based Fighter
Nominate: Stance-Changer
Nominate: Self-inflicting Glass Cannon

You may only nominate for three playstyles. A playstyle will not be slated for the poll unless it gets 5 nominations. If you decide to change your nomination, please, unbold your previous nomination and create a new post with your new, bolded nominations. A nomination will not count unless it is bolded and green.

And with that, feel free to start. If you have any questions, feel free to tag me in a post. This thread will stay open for 48 hours before our Playstyle Poll starts on 3:30 PM CST, 2/22/14. Use this thread to discuss anything in regards to playstyle propositions.
This round had users submit play styles that would be nominated on and then have a character molded around that play style. Here were some of the submissions:

Rhythm-based Fighter is one, as you've seen me use in previous examples.
Anti-Aerialist would be an interesting take on potential characters with extended hitboxes. Having various attacks that place the opponent back onto the ground would be a good way counter the likes of Meta Knight and Wario.
Strong-start Fighter would be fun as someone who starts off powerful but gets weaker over the course of a match either through damage, the amount of times they've died, or the time they've been alive. It leaves plenty of flexibility, such as for a reverse Aura-mechanic like Lucario's or a pseudo-health system for a mech-user that ejects at around 100%..
@God Robert's Cousin

Proposition:

Name: Stance-Changer
General Description: The Stance-Changer is a character that has access to two or more different movesets, each having different traits, advantages, and disadvantages. One character could have a basic, balanced moveset. This character could then change to an offensive stance, focusing on hard, fast hits, but pitiful defenses and recovery. They could also change to a defense stance, with 'get away' attacks and reliable means of countering and protecting. The Stance Change itself could be accessed either by a taunt or a special move.
Justification: The Stance-Changer type has not yet been seen in Smash, and could offer one of the most unique and diverse fighters ever included in Smash.
Counterpicks in Mind: Megaman and Snake would definitely be hard counters. The defensive and basic stance would simply be out-camped, and the offensive stance would be too vulnerable to damage; undoubtedly, Megaman and Snake would have no problem racking up damage, then launching a K.O. attack when the Stance changers is vulnerable.
Characters like Meta Knight, who are fairly strong and very manuverable could handle all stances fairly well, due to sheer speed advantages.
Little Mac also seems like he could be a good counter. Charge Punch will eat the defensive stances' attacks, and the Mac's rush down will counter the offensive stance.
Potential Characters: Chrom or Lucina could fill this role, using Falchion as the basic stance weapon, a Lance as the defensive weapon, and a Royal Rapier for the offensive stance.
Ephraim could also be a Stance-Changer, using only the lance, but switching between different lance techniques.
@Fastblade5035

Name: Venomous Drainer
General Description: A fighter that uses attacks that slowly increases the opponents health, similar to a poison effect.
Justification: We need more characters that can put pressure on defenses and can be rather lethal for bring down the opponent to dangerous levels quickly, plus it's a style that hasn't been experimented with yet. Though there aren't a lot of characters that can do this sort of thing, it can be a method of preventing camping if implemented right.
Counterpicks in Mind: Generally characters that don't emphasize defense at all, for example Captain Falcon and Little Mac.
Potential Characters: Lip (Panel de Pon), Medusa (Kid Icarus)
@Xenoblaze
Notice there is a standard for making a submission. This is to always be followed when making a dubmission. Simply typing out a playstyle with a brief description results in your submission not counting.

Players nominated using bolded green nominations for better viewing.

From there, the nominations that got 5 or more votes were slated and appeared in Part 3: Playstyle Poll:

Now begins the poll. We will start off with a Bold Vote poll. Simply state your prefer choice in the thread in this fashion.
Vote: *Insert playstyle title here*
Whatever other comments you may have can go below as long as they are unbolded.

Your vote will not count unless you create a bold vote of one of the slated options exactly as it is spelt. If I cannot find it in a CRTL+F search, it will be ignored.

Anyway, here's the queue. You can only vote for one. Please do not post more than once in the thread. If you would like to change your vote, re-edit your post.
  • Rhythm Based Fighter
  • Stat Changing Fighter
  • Stance Changer
  • Barrier Fighter
  • Venomous Drainer
  • Fuel Fighter
  • Juggle Fighter
Name: Rhythm Based Fighter
General Description: A fighter with quick attacks, rhythmic combos that flow together nicely, with melodies upon combos landed.
Justification: Smash has no fighters who use music to attack - by doing it, would add a unique character.
Counterpicks in Mind: Little Mac - super armor allows passing through most weaker combos, Mega Man - relies mainly on projectiles, so being farther away, sound wouldn't effect him majorly.
Potential Characters: Karate Joe or Rhythm Wrestler (Rhythm Heaven), Amigo (Samba de Amigo)

Name: Stat Changing Fighter
General Description: A fighter that can temporarily change their own stats and the stats of others. Lucas was able to do something similar in Project M and Iron First was able to do something similar in UMVC3. Essentially, they would fight by upping their own stats and lowering their opponents stats, and then attacking. However, for balance sake, the effect would be temporary and the effects would not be able to stack.
Justification: No character in the smash series fights like this and a character that can use moves like these could provide a very interesting and unique playsytle.
Counterpicks in Mind: Rush Down characters like Fox, Sheik and presumably Little Mac could keep pestering the character to the point where they can't use their attacks to change stats. As could Hit and Run characters like Sonic. Zoners like Megaman or Snake would probably be able to annoy them as well.
Potential Characters: Numerous Mother and Pokemon characters pull this off. Kamek could do this spectacularly too.

Name: Stance Changer
General Description: The Stance-Changer is a character that has access to two or more different movesets, each having different traits, advantages, and disadvantages. One character could have a basic, balanced moveset. This character could then change to an offensive stance, focusing on hard, fast hits, but pitiful defenses and recovery. They could also change to a defense stance, with 'get away' attacks and reliable means of countering and protecting. The Stance Change itself could be accessed either by a taunt or a special move.
Justification: The Stance-Changer type has not yet been seen in Smash, and could offer one of the most unique and diverse fighters ever included in Smash.
Counterpicks in Mind: Megaman and Snake would definitely be hard counters. The defensive and basic stance would simply be out-camped, and the offensive stance would be too vulnerable to damage; undoubtedly, Megaman and Snake would have no problem racking up damage, then launching a K.O. attack when the Stance changers is vulnerable. Characters like Meta Knight, who are fairly strong and very manuverable could handle all stances fairly well, due to sheer speed advantages. Little Mac also seems like he could be a good counter. Charge Punch will eat the defensive stances' attacks, and the Mac's rush down will counter the offensive stance.
Potential Characters: Chrom or Lucina could fill this role, using Falchion as the basic stance weapon, a Lance as the defensive weapon, and a Royal Rapier for the offensive stance. Ephraim could also be a Stance-Changer, using only the lance, but switching between different lance techniques.
Name: Barrier Fighter
General Description: An area control character that summons physical objects to act as brief barriers or platforms.
Justification: The arena is a big part of Smash so why not introduce a character that turns it in their favor? We've already got Diddy's Bananas and Snake's mines so it's not like it'd be unprecedented.
Counterpicks in Mind: Naturally there'll be a limit to the amount of objects and a wind-up to prevent it being OP. Characters that are quick on thier feet or on the draw would be able to interrupt them. Characters with multiple approach option will find them selves less limited as well when say a barrier prevents projectile spamming.
Potential Characters: Lip (Summon Panel De Pon Blocks), Midna (Twilight Objects), Maxwell from Scribblenauts, Animal Crossing character that uses furniture placement, Anyone with Ice powers.

General Description: A fighter that uses attacks that slowly increases the opponents percentage, similar to a poison effect.
Justification: We need more characters that can put pressure on defenses and can be rather lethal for bring down the opponent to dangerous levels quickly, plus it's a style that hasn't been experimented with yet. Though there aren't a lot of characters that can do this sort of thing, it can be a method of preventing camping if implemented right.
Counterpicks in Mind: Generally characters that don't emphasize defense at all, for example Captain Falcon and Little Mac.

Name: Fuel Fighter
General Description: A character whose overall performance is lower than average. To make up for this, this fighter relies on a substance to buff their performance for limited amount of time. (Example: Hakkan from SF4 and how he relies on oiling himself up for improved performance)
Justification: A character such as this would be very interesting. Nothing quite like it yet exists in smash.
Counterpicks in Mind: Rush down characters like Sonic, Little Mac, Falco and C. Falcon
Potential Characters: Louie/Alph/Brittany/Charlie using spicy sprays to buff up Pikmin performance and Chibi Robo relying on charging its batteries to increase attacking power.

Name: Juggle Fighter
General Description: A fighter that primarily focuses on keeping the opponent in the air. Combos are strongly oriented on staying in the air and/or keeping the opponent in the air and giving very little room for escape. Many fighters such as Dead Or Alive or Tekken have this as a big crux of the combo system. Air attacks have vertical knockback and less horizontal. However, they have poor ground combos and often use launchers to start raking up damage. In addition, they don't have great reach horizontally. These characters often have average to fast speed on the ground and limited projectiles.
Justification: Smash has very little in the way of actual, fully formed juggle characters. The closest that exists is Meta Knight given someone plays that way (like myself). Project M brings Wolf as a fully fleshed character that primarily juggles, however Project M is unofficial.
Counterpicks in Mind: Megaman [projectile heavy character that focuses on zoning], Zelda [Din's Fire can easily snipe these characters], Bowser [Down Special and certain air moves allow for safe return to ground play]. Generally, characters with safe air moves or pokes, or zoning characters can seriously destroy a Juggler.
Potential Characters: Waddle Dee, Wolf (Given a redesign is in order to make him less of a clone), Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden), Dudley (Street Fighter III)​

May the best Playstyle win. Remember, if the winner does not have double the votes of the runner-up, we will go into a Quick Poll at the end of the Bold Voting period. The voting will last until 4:00 PM CST, 2/23/14.
From there, users would vote, again with the bolded green vote, with what they think would be the best playstyle to create a character from. After a second revote between Stance Changer and Venomous Drainer, Venomous Drainer was chosen as the first playstyle to craft a character from. This then went into CASN Part 3: Character Discussion:

It's now time to discuss which character will we'll be adding as our newcomer. This is perhaps the most important part of our project, so don't take it lightly folks!

Today, we'll be choosing a character that best fits the Venomous Drainer playstyle proposed by Xenoblaze.

General Description: A fighter that uses attacks that slowly increases the opponents percentage, similar to a poison effect.
So same as before, make propositions that follow the criteria. In this case, you will need an Image, Name, Series, Initial Appearance, Number of Appearances, Representing Niche, and Justification. It'll definitely seem more tedious than proposing playstyles, but trust me, this will help make your character proposition sound more appealing at face value. Plus, if you can't bother putting in some basic research for your character, why even propose them in the first place?

Nominate: Character
Once a proposition gets 5 nominations, it'll be slated. You may nominate up to 3 proposals at once. This will go on for 48 hours until 4:30 PM CST, 2/26/14. Good luck!
However, users could not simply suggest a character by posting a name. There was a certain standard to follow much like in the previous rounds. Here are some character submissions:

Name: Lip, the Fairy of Flowers
Series: Panel de Pon
Initial Appearance: Panel de Pon (1995)
Number of Appearances: 4+
Representing Niche: Plant-based Fighter / Puzzle-game Representative
Justification: Lip has been around since the 90's, making her definitely more of a veteran than many of the fighters to have joined Smash in Brawl and SSB4. Additionally, Smash has had no Puzzle-game representatives since Dr. Mario back in Melee, meaning she would represent an entire chunk of Nintendo's library on her own. Between her various cameos in other games and frequent nods in Smash (with Lip's Stick and Kirby's "Garbage Block" Stone transformation), she's definitely not obscure to the Nintendo crowd.

Her flower-magic would work well in favor of being a Poisonous Drainer. While she may not be poison herself, many of her spells could easily apply various gradual effects, including fairy dust that plants a flower like the Lip's Stick item, magical seeds that simultaneously hurt the foe while healing her percentage, and command-activated fields of poison ivy. In other words, she is perhaps the only fit for a Poisonous Drainer that isn't pure poison or evil as a character herself.
@God Robert's Cousin

Name
: Dr. Mario
Series: Super Mario / Dr. Mario
Initial Appearance: Dr. Mario (1990)
Number of Appearances: 5+
Representing Niche: Puzzle-game Representative / Doctor Based Fighting Style
Justification: Dr. Mario was a playable character in Melee. He is the original Puzzle game representative and I think him returning to the fray would be a well received one. Especially if he were to receive his own moveset. Dr. Mario is more assuredly an icon. He has more than enough starpower to get by.

Moveset wise, I think he can take the venomous drainer style and turn it upside down. Imagine using a pill to infect the player with a virus. Or even summoning types of virus to infect the player with all sorts of nasty status conditions. Dr. Mario doesn't have to stop at posion. He could paralyze, invert controls, and even "burn" the opponent. The doctor premise really is one with potential and I think it can really make this playstyle shine.
@Swampasaur

NAME: Toxicroak
SERIES: Pokemon
INITIAL APPEARANCE: Pokemon Diamond and Pearl (2006)
NUMBER OF APPEARANCES: A lot
REPRESENTING NICHE: Poison Pokemon
JUSTIFICATION: Toxicroak has a long list of pre-defined fighting skills that compliment it's venomous nature and the two can work in sync. It's spiked hands secrete poison and it can launch gunk from it's mouth so it's not difficult to imagine either a close ranged drain or a long ranged one.

Also, I think we should separate making nominations from actually nominating them, it gives the first one an unfair advantage.
@Guybrush20X6

Name: Dark Samus
Series: Metroid
Initial Appearance: Metroid Prime (2003)
Number of Appearances: 3
Representing Niche: Metroid Series Villain/Female Villain/Corruption/Phazon based Character/Poison-Chain
Justification: While Ridley is deifintitely the most important Metroid rep outside of Samus, Dark Samus could be considered a contender for a newcomer spot. Even though she may appear to be like Samus, she has a huge wealth of abilities and attacks that can be made her own such as the ability to create ice, fire Phazon beams, Phazon boost ball, flight and levitation, become invisible, absorb Phazon, corrupt individuals and absorb their abilities, and create duplicates named Dark Echoes. In addition, she could be given a new set of moves to make her different from Samus but retain her Phazon/Corruption abilities.

Since she primarily utilizes Phazon, this can be used to poison the opponents rack up damage while she is on the attack. In addition, she can use her Corruption to possibly debilitate and disable her opponents for a certain period of time. This could take the form of making opponents slower, a weaker dazed effect (like a broken shield), in versing controls, or disabling a certain attack for a period of time.

Another possible avenue is the ability to poison-chain. For example, she infects one opponent with Corruption. This will rack up damage for a period of time. However, if this infected individual comes into contact with another player, this Corruption will then pass onto that player thus spreading the Corruption. It becomes weaker the more it is chained. However, since she becomes powerful due to Corruption, she could be slightly healed when touched by a tainted individual. However too much could be disastrous to her which would cause her to enter into a daze animation like a shield break but more prolonged. This takes the Venomous Drainer and enhances it by causing it to be spread to a wide group rather than a single individual through contact.

If we even want to expand it even further, Dark Samus could technically be always giving off small amounts of Phazon-corruption so just being near to her might poison opponents slightly. To counter and balance this, attacking and damaging her mitigates and cancels out this poison affect thus making characters such as Falcon and Little Mac ideal candidates to counter her.

Name: Hades (The Magnificent) God/King of the Underworld
Series: Kid Icarus
Initial Appearance: Kid Icarus Uprising
Number of Appearances: 1 (but was also responsible for the events of another)
Representing Niche: Kid Icarus Villain / Magic Heavyweight
Justifications: Kid Icarus is now an important Nintendo series again, and it deserves a newcomer in Smash. Instead of having PaleTuna, why don't we have a villain? You may be thinking of Medusa

Not to mention, Hades would bring something new. A heavyweight Magic-user. So far, the only magic users that we have and that are considered for newcomers are all pretty princesses. WE NEED MANLY MAGIC!!!! Hades also has an array of moves and abilities he can bring with him. He can change his size (NO "TOO BIG" ARGUMENTS HERE!), and even friggin eat people like Kirby! That pretty much makes him GOD Kirby!

But how would he fit into the Venomous Drainer category? That's simple, he can use magic-based attacks which can inflict a status on the foe and he can also grab enemies and then poison them. He also has so many abilities, so his Moveset doesn't have to be limited to just poison!

Think of the possibilities!
MANLY MAGIC!!!
@Mega Bidoof

Players, again using the bold voting system, voted on three characters they think best fit the Venomous Drainer playstyle. 5 or more votes resulted in the character being slated or to be included in the next poll. After this part finished, the CASN Part 4: Character Poll.

Now begins the character poll for our project! Today, you have four options:
  • Lip
  • Dr. Mario
  • Dark Samus
  • Hades
Users then voted on what what they think is the best character for the venomous drainer. Lip was ultimately chosen with the most votes with an overwhelming 54.1% of the votes. Thus, Lip was chosen for the first Newcomer for the project. This led into CASN Part 5: Moveset Workshop:

It's been deciding that Lip will be our first newcomer. We're now at the point where we get to design her moveset. Unlike the other phases of the project, this thread will be very open about your ideas. Simply make parts of (or even a whole) moveset for her, and at the end of 48 hours, our Character Coordinator, @Ariand/AEM, will take what he deems to be the best of the best of the ideas and mix them together. Of course, you all can make your voices heard on what you think are the best ideas.

That all said, make sure that you keep three things in mind for Lip when you design her moves: Usability, Balance, and Sensibility! Keep moves simple yet viable, strive for balance that sticks to her proposed playstyle, and make her moves make sense as a part of her moveset.

We'll need standard moves, aerials, grabs, ledge/floor moves, specials, a Final Smash, and taunts for her moveset... So get cracking, folks! This thread will close at 9:30 PM CST, 3/1/14! 3/2/14!

General Description: A fighter that uses attacks that slowly increases the opponent's percentage, similar to a poison effect.
Justification: We need more characters that can put pressure on defenses and be rather lethal for bringing down the opponent to dangerous levels quickly, plus it's a style that hasn't been experimented with yet. Though there aren't a lot of characters that can do this sort of thing, it can be a method of preventing camping if implemented right.
Counterpicks in Mind: Generally characters that don't emphasize defense at all, like Captain Falcon and Little Mac.

Name: Lip, the Fairy of Flowers
Justification: Lip has been around since the 90's, making her definitely more of a veteran than many of the fighters to have joined Smash in Brawl and SSB4. Additionally, Smash has had no Puzzle-game representatives since Dr. Mario back in Melee, meaning she would represent an entire chunk of Nintendo's library on her own. Between her various cameos in other games and frequent nods in Smash (with Lip's Stick and Kirby's "Garbage Block" Stone transformation), she's definitely not obscure to the Nintendo crowd.

Her flower-magic would work well in favor of being a Poisonous Drainer. While she may not be poison herself, many of her spells could easily apply various gradual effects, including fairy dust that plants a flower like the Lip's Stick item, magical seeds that simultaneously hurt the foe while healing her percentage, and command-activated fields of poison ivy. In other words, she is perhaps the only fit for a Poisonous Drainer that isn't pure poison or evil as a character herself.
Thus discussion regarding some of the characters moves and stats were underway. This part requires a huge amount of user support and discussion thus is one of the more larger parts of the process. Here were some suggestions:

When it became fairly clear that Lip was going to be the winner, I did a little research into how Panel de Pon works. A core mechanic is that when you get a large block combo, you get to drop a garbage block on your opponents field. This gave me the idea of Lip earning garbage blocks through combat. I'm not entirely sure how his would work, perhaps through combos, but in any case, my partially formed idea for Lip's down r possibly neutral special is
Garbage Block Drop:
Lip makes a gesture with her stick(significant start up time) and one of the garbage blocks Lip has earned rapidly drops from the sky onto the ground in front of her. Any platform will stop the garbage blocks descent. An opponent hit by the block as it falls will suffer large damage and knockback, but upon hitting the ground the block becomes a non-damaging platform with grabbable edges about half Mario's height and 3/4s the length of a battlefield platform. The most notable effect of these blocks is that if Lip hits an opponent in contact with her garbage block, the garbage block breaks and the attack does drastically increased damage and knockback.
The primary use of this move is to make opponents want to avoid the block, reducing their options and increasing Lip's pressure capability.
Clearly this is only idea, several things need to be determined, for instance, how many blocks can be out at once.
@Zzuxon

I think that all of Lip's attacks which make use of her magic wand should give the enemy the flower effect. Given that the flower can be removed quickly enough by tapping the control stick, it wouldn't be too overpowered.

A few moves, such as her f-smash could have some extra range, like when doing a f-smash holding the Lip's Stick item.
@FalKoopa

Some thoughts I had + some pre-estalished ideas:

- Panel De Pon has certain mechanics that can be taken from her game to give her nifty tools to enhance her zoning game and punishing opponents from approaching her.
These include the cursor for swapping opponents' positions instead of panels and using her garbage blocks to punish airborn opponents with a meteor smash or give some space if summoned on the ground.

I suggest making the cursor one of the highlight "specials" for Lip, as it's very unique, and let's her use more mindgames or tactics to support her playstyle.

- Perhaps to enforce this playstyle from the start, Lip would appear as rather weak and easy to send flying in the first glance; she'd be very light-weight, not much knockback in her moves, floaty.

Toggle Spoiler Size: 4/10 (Her size is slighly same as Diddy's.)
Weight: 2.5/10
Speed:6/10
Jump:8/10 (Very Light)

- Rainbows are known to be Lip's favourite things, played right from on them being her means of transport in Panel De Pon and her creating one to spread her flower magic on Mimin Island back in Captain Rainbow. We could corporate this as her off-screen appearance and maybe have something to do with Final Smash.

- Zzuxon had a nice start and Yoshi&Toad elaborated this better - Lip having a charge-like mechanic to her sapping power. Lip would possess some attacks (like the Garbage Block) and the more she saps the enemy damage during an attack or two, the more this sapped energy goes to her as a "magic power". Maybe she'd glow as time goes on to signify more charged. You can then use this charge for certain attacks to boost the attacks that are applied around this mechanic - For example Garbage Blocks grow bigger, more knockback in her moves, etc. To boost this even further, you have to keep poisoning while not letting the sprouted flower be dropped off from opponent's head, in order to accumulate higher magic power. After the flower drops off, the magic goes from it to Lip's use. (So basically the opponent really has to shake it off or Lip gets stronger.)

This encourages less camping and gives players options after they've attacked the opponent successfully. I suggest this being moderated and overview as it's there to juice up her playstyle, not ruin it. (Because this might make Lip quite hit&run).

- To indicate which attacks leave the flowers, Lip's open her wand (like sprouting flower) and magical spores would come out. For rest her wand's a lot like spiky baton.

- I think Smash-attacks, some aerials and grabs could use Lip's powers of nature, to give room for use of her stick, unless those attacks emit the poisonous spores as well.

- Garbage Block would be bit like what we speculate the Villager's Tree to be: can be summoned on the stage to give more room for Lip, use as a Meteor Smash if an opponent's above the blast zones, can be broken apart if hitting with enough damage, and would deal lots of damage itself if being hit. Perhaps it can be picked up when smaller and be used as an item, forcing to make bigger ones so they can't be?

One idea I had is that she sticks PdP blocks to her opponent and when there is three on the foe they flash (at which point Lip can put another on for extra damage) and then they cause small explosions as they disappear. If they are KO'd or are hit with a strong enough attack they'll drop off.
I think I had this similar idea in form of "Fairy Seed" (not to be confused with the GRC's). However, this had Lip attacking her opponent after latching a seed three times in order to make it grow, and fourth would make it explode.
@Young Horsetail

On second thoughts MAybe Lip's moveset should be focused on health draining nature for her specials ans only for her Final Smash should she break out the Blocks. I noticed with a lot of characters their final smash contrasts their playstyle. (Not always but...) so in Contrast to Lip's slow style her Final Smash should Rain down garbage blocks. The start up should have her matching blocks to initiate it.
@Guybrush20X6

This is my specials-only moveset for Lip:

Neutral Special - Magic Seed

Lip plants a seed in the ground, and it becomes invisible like what happens when you throw a pitfall in the ground. If the enemy steps in it, the enemy becomes trapped in vines that poison the enemy and recover Lip's damage percentage by an equal amount.

Side Special - Fairy Wind (the name being the same as a Pokémon move is only a coincidence)

Lip shakes her stick in front of her and releases a magic dust from it. The enemy is pushed away without hitsun and gets a flower effect.

Up Special - Watabou

Lip grabs Watabou (the little thingy in the title screen of Panel de Pon) to slow her fall. This does not send her upwards and/or downwards. Pressing special gives Lip some height. Based in the flowers in Super Mario Galaxy's Gusty Garden Galaxy.

Down Special - Garbage Block

Lip waves her stick and drops a garbage block in front of her. This can be charged to create bigger and more powerful blocks. They are unbreakable and can be used as platforms.

Final Smash - Climb To The Rainbown

Lip creates a beanstalk that keeps getting bigger and bigger. As it gets bigger, the screen keeps scrolling upwards. While Lip can fly freely and attack her enemies, enemies need to keep climbing or they will be KO'ed by the bottom blast line. Garbage blocks keep falling from nowhere during this. When it reaches the rainbown, Lip flies to the topmost center of the screen and shoots a huge magical blast powered by the rainbown downwards.
@Tepig2000

While Ariand/AEM worked on a move set using the information provided by users, the second to last round commenced: CASN Part 6: Misc. Aspects.

After much hiatus, it's time we resumed this project. Bad news is that the moveset is currently still not done at this time. The good news is that I'm on break starting tomorrow and that I'll be around to keep the Create-A-Smash's momentum going throughout our next project.

Until then, I'll start up the final phase of working on our first Newcomer Lip: Misc. Aspects! What are Misc. Aspects? Misc. Aspects are various bits of information and art that goes along with our character. This includes but is not limited to:
  • Lip's entrance and victory animations
  • A victory theme and character theme
  • "Official artwork" we'll use as her Character Portrait
  • Stock icons
  • Alternate palettes and costumes
  • Classic, Smash, and Final Smash trophy descriptions
  • Potential codec conversations
  • And whatever else!
Like the Moveset Workshop, this will be a relatively free-formed part of the newcomer. Contribute anything you'd like, preferably (though not required) if it's user-generated within the community here itself. Be it mere ideas or artwork you made yourself, this is the creative individuals' time to shine! Remember, this is the last part of the project before the final product. Make us proud, folks!

The thread will stay open until a later decided date, at which I will issue a 24 hour warning before we close up shop. As for the moveset, don't worry--We'll have that done sometime tomorrow. Turns out making a moveset with multiple sources in mind and balance is something to work hard towards. I'll help AEM get it finished by tomorrow.
This allowed for discussion concerning Lip's theme song, taunts, palette swaps, victory poses, entry animation, codecs, etc. This is a less formal submission-focused part and, much like the Move Set section, is more discussion based. Ideas are thrown around and then compiled into what best represents Lip. Here are a few ideas that were thrown around:

Palette Swap
Red Lip
Blue Lip
Yellow Lip
Pink Lip
Green Lip
Peach Lip
Zelda Lip
White Lip

Victory theme?

Level Clear theme from Panel de Pon.

I think the part from 0:00-0:10 would be best for a victory theme.

@pizzadudemanguy

• Franchise Emblem:

(Credit to OnyxOblivian)
Stage Animations

• On-Screen Appearance: A rainbow comes from the other side of the screen. Lip runs down from it, jumps off to the stage and quickly raises her stick, which opens and spreads it's petals, saying "Ikuso!" while looking at the camera. This then switches to her stance animation.
        • Origin: Rainbows were Lip's main means of transportation to her friends' islands in Panel De Pon, so this is spot-on for her as an entrance.

• Stance Animation: Her body faces the camera in an angle, while her head looks forward to the right. She rocks her body carefreely whilst smiling.
      • Origin: See her sprite animation in Vs Mode of Panel De Pon. This kind of animation was also used as her usual standing animation in Captain Rainbow.
Trophy Info

• Classic Trophy:
From Nintendo's long-running action puzzle series Panel De Pon, Lip is an optimistic and cute sprite. She's known as the Fairy Of Flowers, naturally seen on her flower wand's magic which absorbs up life essence like a plant. She's quite fond of rainbows and keeping Piranha Plants as pets.
One time in fairy kingdom of Popples, the Devil King Thanatos had casted a spell all over the kingdom, causing an eternal rainstorm and turning fairies spiteful enough to fight against each other. Lip was luckily unaffected due her magic wand, and set out to free her friends from the spell, in order to defeat Thanatos for once and for all.
While being one of the residents in Japan-only Captain Rainbow along with Little Mac, Super Smash Bros. marks as her first global appearance in any videogame ever: Yoshi and Pikachu are just one of the many characters to take her spotlight during localized versions of her games.
[SNES] Panel De Pon (1994)
[Wii] Captain Rainbow (2008)

Victory Animations
1. Lip hops continuosly while saying Yatta!, but suddenly slips and falls on the ground, sitting. She smiles awkwardly while rubbing her behind and looks at the camera.

• The clumsiness is just there to make sure it's not a copy of Ice Climbers' Up Taunt in Brawl and one of their victory poses. Besides, it'll look quite cute.
2. Lip sits on her big yellow flower (as in the menu in Panel de Pon), and sits on it, while saying "Did you have fun?" in japanese.
Origin: As mentioned above the flower where she sits on is taken directly from Panel De Pon's menu.

The phrase she says in japanese is also taken from the second tutorial in tutorial mode of Panel De Pon where she would greet the player with almost same manner:

3. Lip's rabbit runs to her as she grabs it's paws and spins it around once playfully. Lip then holds the rabbit on her lap and winks for the camera.

• Origin: Lip has a rabbit on her stage in single player mode for Panel De Pon (Endless, Time Attack, Puzzle, etc)
- Lose Animation: Lip's sitting on the ground, looking like she's about to sob while . In a common tradition for Puzzle League-series having characters, a panel occassionally drops on her.

• Origin: When you get a game over in Panel De Pon, Lip would be doing a similar pose.

• Also, the tradition of dropping panels on the player in game over has occurred for Yoshi in Tetris Attack, and Ash in PKMN Puzzle League- This is kept intact for Lip in her losing pose.

Pit & Palutena-codec (Skyworld/Kid Icarus-stage)
Pit: Lady Palutena?

Cordelia: Hello there little angel.

Pit: Woah! Who're you?! You're no Palutena...

Cordelia: I might not be, but I'm her friend from distant lands of Popples. I'm Cordelia, the Goddess of the Fairies.

Pit: Okay, at least you don't seem sort of evil lady... though you somehow give a bit of that vibe. Sorry for that. So do you have anything to say about Lip?

Cordelia: She's quite confident and tomboyish girl, and the wand she uses is the source of her power, and her most valued thing. The powers of plant life are in her command, so do watch out if you see them. Though the fact that she hadn't found herself yet accepting as the new queen worries me.

Pit: Queen...? I didn't expect you to know so much about her.

Cordelia: It's because I'm her mother. *Fufufu*

Pit: M-m-m-mother?! You're her MOTHER!? No wonder! You really know your daughter. So about Lip, you hope she'll become as great as you did?

Cordelia: I hope for so too. I have faith on her. Please, do support her. She needs it in her way to take my place.

Pit: I... I will.
@Young Horsetail

Both the move set and the misc. aspects did not formally appear until CASN1: Final Product. This was finally culmination of ideas and submissions by the staff and users. Here is what the CAS envisioned for Lip:

We did it folks! We've completed our first newcomer, Lip! Here's what we have to show for it:

Lip has been around since the 90's, making her definitely more of a veteran than many of the fighters to have joined Smash in Brawl and SSB4. Additionally, Smash has had no Puzzle-game representatives since Dr. Mario back in Melee, meaning she would represent an entire chunk of Nintendo's library on her own. Between her various cameos in other games and frequent nods in Smash (with Lip's Stick and Kirby's "Garbage Block" Stone transformation), she's definitely not obscure to the Nintendo crowd.

Playstyle Concept
General Description: A fighter that uses attacks that slowly increases the opponent's percentage, similar to a poison effect.
Justification: We need more characters that can put pressure on defenses and be rather lethal for bringing down the opponent to dangerous levels quickly, plus it's a style that hasn't been experimented with yet. Though there aren't a lot of characters that can do this sort of thing, it can be a method of preventing camping if implemented right.
Counterpicks in Mind: Generally characters that don't emphasize defense at all, like Captain Falcon and Little Mac.
Misc. Aspects

Palette Swap - Red Lip, Blue Lip, Yellow Lip, Pink Lip, Green Lip, Peach Lip, Zelda Lip, White Lip

Kirby Hat

Victory Theme - The first 10 seconds of the Panel de Pon Stage Clear Theme.

Wii Mote Sound - Lip giggles.

Trophy Information
Lip
[SNES] Panel de Pon (1995)
[WII] Captain Rainbow (2008)
A cute little figure who is one of Nintendo's lesser known characters. But don't let this fool you. She's a powerful fighter whose draining skills are second to none. In her game Panel de Pon the fairies of the world called Popples are put under a spell by the evil Tanatos. The spell causes the fairies to start fighting each other, making it easy for him to take control of the world. Lip is however unaffected, due to her magic wand, the Lip's Stick. She sets out on a mission to return her fairy friends to their senses, and one by one they join her for the confrontation with the evil Tanatos.

How to unlock: Beat Classic mode with Lip.

Panel de Pon
[CAS] Newcomer #1
Lip with a Smash Ball, unleashing her ultimate attack. Lip summons the very same panel-mechanism she and the other fairies of Popples used to battle each other with. Sliding panels around, Lip jumps with glee for every cleared set that will make her garbage block even bigger. As adorable as the garbage block is, it's very deadly to be hit by it. The bigger it gets, the more likely it'll send foes flying in a star KO! Go for chains to make the most out of Panel de Pon!

How to unlock: Beat All-Star mode with Lip.

Snake Codec
Snake: "Otacon, I've got some sort of flower girl here."
Otacon: "That's Lip. She's the main character from the long running Panel De Pon series of puzzle games."
Snake: "Long running? How come I never heard of it?"
Otacon: "Well when translating the titles for America Nintendo used more well know characters and names to help it sell better. The original game was changed to star Yoshi and was renamed Tetris Attack."
Snake: "So they disguised the game to pass it off as something familiar, huh?"
Otacon: "I guess there's more similarities between espionage and marketing than it first seems."

Pit Codec
Pit: "Lady Palutena?"
Cordelia: "Hello there, little angel."
Pit: "Woah! Who're you?! You're no Palutena..."
Cordelia: "I might not be, but I'm her friend from distant lands of Popples. I'm Cordelia, the Goddess of the Fairies."
Pit: "Okay, at least you don't seem sort of evil lady... though you somehow give a bit of that vibe. Sorry for that. So do you have anything to say about Lip?"
Cordelia: "She's quite a confident and tomboyish girl, and the wand she uses is the source of her power, and her most valued thing. The powers of plant life are in her command, so do watch out if you see them. Though the fact that she hadn't found herself yet accepting as the new queen worries me."
Pit: "Queen...? I didn't expect you to know so much about her."
Cordelia: "It's because I'm her mother. *Fufufu*"
Pit: "M-m-m-mother?! You're her MOTHER!? No wonder! You really know your daughter. So about Lip, you hope she'll become as great as you did?"
Cordelia: "I hope for so too. I have faith on her. Please, do support her. She needs it in her way to take my place."
Pit: "I... I will!"

Little Mac Codec
Doc Louis: "Watch out, Mac baby! This little fairy may not look tough, but her flower magic will drain you so fast you won't know what hit you! Hmm, I wonder if she can grow some cocoa beans..."

Moveset

Entrance - A rainbow comes from the other side of the screen. Lip runs down from it, jumps off to the stage and quickly raises her stick, which opens and spreads it's petals, saying "Ikuso!" while looking at the camera.

Fighting Pose - Is standing side-ways, the front part of her facing the screen and her head turned to the right. Her Lip Stick is in one hand and she's holding it forward; slightly diagonally. She kind of sways back and forth while her ponytails swings.

Idle Animation 1 - She slightly giggles while holding her hand in front of her mouth.

Idle Animation 2 - She fluffs her ponytail.

Jump - Lip leaps up into the air in a large skip.

Second Jump - Lip spins horizontally as a few sparkles drop down.

Crouch - She crouches down and has her knees together. She holds the Lip Stick in front of her.

Additional Traits - Cannot crawl, wall-jump, wall-stick, glide, multi-jump, or use moves after her recovery.

A: Flower Jab - Lip swipes the area in front of her with her Flower Wand vertically once. It doesn't have any start up or landing lag and can form a Jab Combo. Has very low priority and below average reach.
[Below Moderate Damage & Minor Knockback]

Side Tilt: Flora Flash - Lip swipes the area in front of her with her Wand again, but horizontally this time. She also takes a step forward while doing it, adding a bit more range in front of her. There is a slightly powder effect upon start up. Slight start up lag. Has a hit box that does more damage at the mid-point of the swipe.
[Minor Damage & Below Moderate Knockback]

Up Tilt: Twirling Blossom - Lip twirls her Wand above her somewhat playfully. The move does some constant damage. It suffers from little start up and ending lag and can be punished. It has mid ranged priority and can negate weaker attacks. The mid portion of the attack is at its strongest priority wise. Has a decent reach with a wide hitbox.
[Individual hits do Minor Damage & Minor Knockback. If the entire move connects with an opponent, a Flower will grow on their head.]

Down Tilt: Leaf Rustle - Lip swipes the ground in front of her with her Wand (Sort of similar to Ike’s Down Tilt). Very short reach but doesn't have start up or ending lag. Has a slightly extended hit box. Low priority attack and can be punished if the opponent can get behind Lip.
[Below Moderate Damage, Minor Knockback]

Dash Attack: Sliding Petal - Lip swings her Wand downward vertically while stopping herself. Has moderate ending lag as she tries to stop herself and can be punished. If performed close to the ledge, the downward strike can meteor strike opponents.
[Moderate Damage & Moderate Knockback. If the move connects with an opponent, a Flower will grow on their head.]

Ledge Attack: Wand Twirl - Lip twirls her Wand near the ledge to fend off any opponents who attempt to send her back off of the stage while she tries to get back up. Slight lag as she hoists herself up. Low priority but decent reach.
[Below Moderate Damage & Below Moderate Knockback]

100% Ledge Attack: Blooming Retaliation - Lip sticks her wand over the ledge, which buds up before quickly opening up into a very large flower. Slight lag as she hoists herself up. Medium priority and decent reach.
[Below Moderate Damage & Moderate Knockback]

Get Up Attack: Graceful Fairy - Lip gracefully twirls herself back up to her feet, her Wand hitting opponents as she spins around. No start up or ending lag. It can hit on both sides but does not juggle opponents but, rather, knocks them off to the side. Good priority and has a slightly disjointed hitbox.
[Minor Damage & Moderate Knockback]

100% Get Up Attack: Hot Headed Fairy - Lip ungracefully swipes her Wand on both sides of her as she tries to get back on her feet, it appears her opponent may have made her a bit mad. Slight start up and ending lag as she seems a bit....angry. Despite doing more damage than her Get Up attack, it has slightly less priority. However, it has a great reach and knocks opponents away.
[Moderate Damage & High Knockback. If the move connects with an opponent, a Flower will grow on their head.]

Side Smash: Pollen Power - Lip clutches her Flower Wand with both hands and winds it up with rotations of her wrists, building up a cloud of pollen, then swings it out with all the force she can muster, causing a small pollen explosion as she swings. It has above average reach and has very good priority compared to some other Smash attacks. However, it has a slow start up lag. The move can be sweetspotted at the tip of the pollen blast but anything past that is sourspotted. It has good priority at the mid point of the Pollen-blast that can even cancel out some weak projectiles such as a semi-charged Samus' Charged Shot or Fox's Laser.
[Moderate Damage & Above Moderate Knockback. If the move connects with an opponent, a Flower grows on their head.]

Up Smash: Sunlit Sparkle - Lip raises her Wand upward, it bulbs up and absorbs the sunlight glowing… When the button is released, it explodes in a puff of Pollen and a large Rainbow appears above Lip! The Rainbow is purely cosmetic. Much like her Side Smash, the Up Smash has excellent reach but even more so due to her arm extension. It has a disjointed hit box. However, it will knock opponents upwards when she raises her hand. It has a long start up lag due to the raising of the wand and the blooming of the flower. In addition, much like her Side Smash, it can be sweetspotted at the tip of the Pollen blast but sourspotted anywhere past that or if Lip launches the opponent into the air from the ground. It has good priority but can be canceled out with stronger attacks such as Link's Dair or Yoshi's Down Special. It has the highest amount of priority during the mid point of the Pollen blast animation, much like her Side Smash.
[Moderate Damage & Above Moderate Knockback. If the move connects with an opponent a Flower grows on their head.]

Down Smash: Thorny Roots - Lip waves her Wand, magical pollen falls to the ground… When the button is released, two thorny roots sprout to Lip’s sides! The size and length of these roots vary from the amount of charge, but they will always cause the same amount of damage and knockback. At full charge, Roses blossom atop the roots. Very long start up lag and moderate ending lag. A very punishable move that is not too reliant as a killing move but serves to deal high amounts of damage. However, once the thorny roots shoot up, this protect her on both sides thus protecting her from damage and effectively giving her some super armor. However, she is vulnerable as soon as the thorny roots begin to shrink back into the ground thus the ending lag. It has a several disjointed hitboxes and does above moderate vertical damage. A uncharged Thorny Root produces two roots on either side. A semi charged root produces three roots; two on one side and one on the other. A fully charged Thorny Root produces four roots; two on both sides. Finally, when the pollen shoots upwards and falls to the ground, it has the chance of dealing 1% damage while the opponent is within the field of its effect and has the potential to rack up around 7% damage. It doesn't deal any hitstun so the opponent is easily able to escape.
[Moderate Damage & Moderate Knockback. If the move connects with an opponent, a Flower grows on their head.]

Neutral Aerial: Pollen Princess - Lip twirls, her Flower Wand emits a mystical pollen that surrounds her. It has a moderate amount of start up lag due to her beginning to twirl. However, the attack hits on both sides. It has several hit boxes. It is a unreliable killing move yet it hitstuns the player thus allowing Lip to continue her rotation; effectively maximizing her damage and poisoning potential. It suffers from landing lag when short-hopped only if in the middle of her rotation. The attack has zero to extremely low priority and one of the lowest for the Nair. However, the attack is notable for allowing the pollen to linger in the air thus dealing damage seconds after Lip has passed by. This is effective when using momentum to spread her damage out while in the middle of a jump.
[Moderate Damage & Below Moderate Knockback. If the move connects with an opponent, a Flower grows on their head.]

Forward Aerial: Flower Rotation- Lip rapidly spins her wand in front of her, the spinning petals damages any opponents who come close. It has little ending lag but not any start up lag. It has good enough priority and can be short hopped. It can OHKO at high percentages but only after the final hit. It juggles opponents; effectively trapping them within the spinning momentum. However, due to the low priority and Lip's vulnerability, she can be punished. It has excellent reach and has a disjointed hitbox.
[Below Moderate Damage & Moderate Knockback (After final hit). If the entire move connects to an opponent, a Flower grows on their head.]

Upward Aerial: Rainbow - Lip swipes her wand above her, the wand constructing a rainbow to follow it’s path. Ironically, one of Lip's strongest basic attack. It does have a small amount of lag and the duration of the attack is longer than most. It can be short hopped and it has excellent reach. The attack does the most amount of damage at the start up. If Lip is able to trap the opponent at the start up of the attack, it forces the opponent to follow the rainbow. Once the rainbow ends, it blasts the opponent upwards. It does cause landing lag when short hopped or if in the middle of the animation during the jump. As well, Lip is vulnerable during and after the attack but has a considerable amount of super armor during the rainbow forming animation. The rainbow has excellent priority and one of the best. The attack also slightly boosts Lip into the air.
[High Damage & Moderate Knockback]

Backward Aerial: Feisty Fairy - Lip pulls her legs up and thrusts them both out back, laying flat in the air briefly, before curling up to right herself. If she lands on her front while in the middle of this move, she makes a distinct "Oof!" on landing. While not a worthless move, it is risky due to the vulnerability to attack during and after the attack. The attack has horrible ending and landing lag. After kicking backwards, it takes her around 5-6 seconds before returning to normal. By this time, she is usually close to landing. It has considerable landing lag; especially when short hopped. However, it does a high amoount of damage, knock back, and has considerable reach. The attack has good priority as well. She is much vulnerable from above and below throughout the attack thus making it a risky one to pull off; especially in a group match.
[Moderate Damage & Above Moderate Knockback]

Downward Aerial: Comet Wand - Lip twists in the air to swing her wand below herself. It has zero start up, ending, or landing lag and has an effective attack if not one of her most reliable aerials. It is also an effective killing attack if performed over the stage. It then becomes a meteor strike. It has fairly good reach and decent priority. She is vulnerable above but, as the attack follows a horizontal trajectory, it hits the opponents on both sides as well.
[Moderate Damage, Moderate Knockback, and Spikes Opponents. If the move connects with an opponent, a Flower grows on their head.]

Grab - Lip uses her free hand to grab an opponent. Quick.

Pummel - Lip taps the opponent’s head with her Wand. About the same speed as Marth's pummel.
[Minor Damage & No Knockback. This move causes a flower to grow on the opponent’s head.]

Forward Throw - Lip pushes her opponent forward with both hands, she almost falls over after completing the move. She says "Hya!" as she pushes the opponent. It is a rather quick throw that suffers from ending lag as she falls off balance. The attack knocks opponents forward but it is a rather unreliable at OHKO'ing the opponent.
[Moderate Damage & Moderate Knockback]

Upward Throw - Lip waves her Flower Wand and a gorgeous Flower pops out of the ground from underneath Lip’s opponent, it sends her opponent upwards. It does vertical knock back when thrown upwards. It has a slight ending lag when the flower pops up and throws the opponent upwards. The flower vanishes shortly after the opponent is thrown up. Lip watches slightly as the opponent shoots up. It is a reliable OHKO that can OHKO around 220%.

Backward Throw - Lip grabs her opponent and jumps over the opponent, spiking the opponent into the ground. It works as a spike and does vertical knock back. It is a very quick yet weak throw. It can be punished as she performs the throw.
[Below Moderate Damage & Moderate Knockback]

Downward Throw - Lip pulls her opponent closer, throws them down and jumps onto them, hopping off of them like off a trampoline. She bounces twice which 2% damage for each jump. Each jump does not do any knockback save for the very last jump where she builds energy in midair and finally slams down. It hits the opponent upwards. It is a rather long throw and longer than her U-Throw. The only problem behind this throw that Lip's throw can be canceled out by another attack. It is reliable as racking up damage as well as knocking up the opponent at the final jump.

Neutral Special: Panel - Lip takes her wand and uses it to create an arching projectile towards the opponent. Although it will usually be one of the heart Panels from Panel de Pon, sometimes a different panel like a star or circle will appear instead. As mentioned above, if a panel connects with the opponent, the strength of her draining effect will be 50% stronger. Heart Panels will gradually add to their percentage while taking from her own for 5 seconds if it hits an opponent, effectively making it a health-draining move in addition to the 50% damage boost. Other panels will simply cause more damage.
[Minor Damage & Minor Knockback. This move causes a flower to grow on the opponent’s head.]

Side Special: Quick-Swap - Lip quickly forms a ball of sparkles from her wand in front of her that act as a relatively slow moving projectile. If it connects with an opponent, they immediately teleport to where one another was and switch places. The slow speed makes it hard to stall out or camp, but still leaves potential for setting up combos by manipulating the opponent's placement. Perhaps Lip could even score a KO whilst saving herself if Lip risks jumping off the edge while the opponent touches the projectile in a high-risk-high-reward strategy. The quick execution at the start otherwise gives the move utility within close range as something of a counter.
[Minor Damage & No Knockback.]

Up Special: Watabou - Lip takes out her Watabou, a strange fluffy creature that flies off as it pulls Lip up on a string. During this, Lip takes her wand behind her and sprinkles fairy dust below, letting her shower opponents from below with the flower effect. This move does no knockback whatsoever to opponents, but makes a good recovery in that its duration lasts for 3 seconds like Pit's, allowing her to use it vertically or horizontally for great effect.
[Minor Damage & No Knockback from the fairy dust. No Damage & Knockback otherwise.]

Down Special: Garbage Block - Lip's strongest move in terms of knockback and a staple finishing move. Lip raises her wand and a cloud appears above her. For a second, the player can control which way the cloud goes horizontally. Afterwards, the cloud dissipates to reveal holding a garbage block, falling down quickly and sending the foe flying should it hit. It's an easy killing move for opponents with high percentages, but is very hard to make use of before the opponent has had a lot of poison damage priorhand.
[Moderate Damage & Moderate Knockback. This move causes a flower to grow on the opponent’s head.]

Final Smash: Panel de Pon - Lip flies off into the air, trailing flower pedals as she does so, before standing on a cloud at the top right part of the screen. UI appears over the screen, showing the setup for a game of Panel de Pon itself. For 10 seconds, the player plays a game of Panel de Pon, where they must clear as many sets of 3 blocks as possible. If the screen fills up completely with panels, then the player loses and the Final Smash fails. However, if 10 seconds are up and the player gets at least one set of 3 blocks cleared, then the Panel de Pon grid disappears and Lip summons a gigantic garbage block, the size being determined by how well the player did during Panel de Pon. Like her down special, Lip gets but a moment to control where the garbage block will fall. When it does fall, it drops very quickly and through the stage and likely KOing an opponent at triple digit percentage due to its high damage output and knockback.
[Heavy Damage & Heavy Knockback]

Up Taunt - Lip throws her fist in the air and says "Yatta!" (Might be localised as: "Yeah!")

Side Taunt - Lip takes a flower and smells it. Suddenly she makes a powerful sneeze, blowing off the petals of that poor flower.
[The sneeze can push her opponents, but just a little bit.]

Down Taunt - Lip floats up, while enveloped by a gust that spins around her while carrying petals around.

Losing Pose - Lip sits down and cries.

Victory #1 - Lip hops continuously while saying Yatta!, but suddenly slips and falls on the ground, sitting. She smiles awkwardly while rubbing her behind and looks at the camera.

Victory #2 - Lip sits on her big yellow flower (as in the menu in Panel de Pon) while saying "Did you have fun?" in Japanese.

Victory #3 - Lip's rabbit runs to her as she grabs its paws and spins it around once playfully. Lip then holds the rabbit on her lap and winks for the camera.​
[/quote]

The CAS Project took a 6 part process from deciding which playstyle to start with to the final product. For a clearer outline of how the process went:

1. Playstyle Submission
  2. Playstyle Vote
  3. Character Submission
  4. Character Vote
  5. Move Set Discussion
  6. Misc. Aspects Discussion
  7. Final Product (not part of the 6 parts)
Of course, this is now how all of the CAS projects will be carried out. Some of the CASN could be rather based on a character and then a playstyle.

-Where is the CAS Now?-

As I mentioned before, the CAS has currently two projects underway:

CASS - Create a Smash Stage

and

CASV - Create a Smash Veteran

Both are at different stages and have varying levels of voting and discussion. Please check them out and participate!

-CASS1-

It was decided that the first stage for the CAS would be

Bowser's Castle

Venus of the Desert Bloom said:

Name: Bowser's Castle
Game of Origin: Super Mario Bros.(1987)
General Description: A huge castle wreathed in fire and adorned with Bowser motiffs.
Appeal for Design: Lava, fire, and storm themed stage. Bowser statutes firing out fireballs, enemies such as goombas, koopas, thwomps, and maybe even the Kooplings as stage hazards, and lightning strikes. There can be many ways the stage can appear as. Either in front of the castle, in the castle, on the castle, etc etc. As well, the design could be based on various versions of Bowser's castle such as from the Mario franchises including New Super mario Bros. Wii U and 3D Land, its appearance in Mario Kart and the sports games. Not to mention all that lava, fire, and Bowser Motiffs in HD will be terrifying. Platforms could include lava rock/castle rock that can crumble at anytime into the lava below. The Koopa Clown Car could also appear and provide as a floating, moving platform if need be. Fire and brimstone, baby. Fire and brimstone.
Justification: Seeing as how many of the Mario stages have been tailored to Mario characters, it only makes sense for Bowser to get his castle as well. It's also the setting for not only the final dungeon in the Mario games but also appears in many spin offs such as Mario Kart, Mario Sports games, and Paper Mario. It is a pivotal Mario stage that has much potential and served as the last level for many Mario games. Not to mention it appears on many "Top 10 Most Wanted Stage" lists and has inspired many user created stages through mods. It would be a welcomed addition to the stage collection and provide something unique and epic to Smash Bros. Plus, it represents a lava/fire stage that is NOT Metroid.
Here is a break down of how the process went:
1. Location Selection (Users submitted a potential stage idea and users nominated ones they liked.)
Trophy Room, Hyrule Castle, The Theater, Agate Village, Mt. Battle, Colony 9, Gangplank Galleon, and Temporal Tower were all submitted, Saturn Valley and Clock Tower was ultimately slated.​
2. Location Poll (stages that received more than 5 votes were put on the poll)
Clock Tower, Saturn Valley, and Bowser's Castle was voted upon.​
3. Layout Discussion (how the stage would appear, what stage hazards it would have, and other visual aspects. Layouts are then nominated.)
Layouts by @FalKoopa and @Zuxon made it to the poll.​
4. Layout Poll (Layouts with 5 or more votes are slated.)
@FalKoopa's design was voted as the best design.​
5A. Stage Hazards (Users submitted stage hazard ideas)
Talk of fire and lava hazards as well as common Mario enemies were to be had.​
5B. Music Selection (Users nominated music for the stage)
10 songs were submitted.​
6A Hazard Poll (Users voted on nominated stage hazards)
It was voted that pool of lava, fireball, and lava geyser will appear as stage hazards​
6B. Music Poll (Users voted on the best music listed on the poll)
The track list was decided.​
7. Misc. Aspects (Users discuss about misc. aspects of the stage including starter music, starter/unlock status, crate-type, icon, etc)​
It is currently on Part 7 but, due to inactivity, has not progressed much further.

Here is how Bowser's Castle looks right now:

Bowser's Castle
Setting
It's based on the end of the Bowser's Castle level in SMB as well as World 1 of NSMB. A simple (and probably not so competitive-friendly) layout, with two towers and a bridge. There is a platform on the top which moves across the stage, and lava at the bottom. As for the background, it could be the interior of the castle as seen here.

Hazards
Pool of Lava
: A layer of lava much like the lava found in Brawl's Norfair, only it stays at a consistent level the entire time rather than occasionally flowing up and down. This pool of lava will make it extremely hard to achieve meteor-smash KOs on part of the bottom part of the screen being completely covered with lava. Touching it causes damage and knockback to the players.

Lava Geyser: A stream of lava that spurts upwards below the bridge of the stage for a short time. Touching it causes damage and knockback to the players.

Fireball: A ball of fire will occasionally bounce into the stage much like the red fireballs from Brawl's Mario Bros. stage do. Touching it causes damage and slight knockback to players.

Justification
I believe that the end of the castle levels as seen in SMB with the axe and collapsible bridge are the most iconic, nostalgic and memorable parts of Bowser's Castle, so I based my layout on it.
Stage Music said:
Name: "Castle Theme"
Universe: Super Mario Bros.
Game of Origin: New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Wii, 2009)
Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2073iFede4w

Name: "Bowser's Lava Lair"
Game of Origin: Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii, 2010) / Super Mario 64 (N64, 1996)
Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRijqmvJAQ4

Name: "Bowser Battle"
Game of Origin: Super Mario 64 (N64, 1996)
Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq_jS6o3OoY

Name: "Bowser's Galaxy Reactor"
Game of Origin: Super Mario Galaxy (Wii, 2007)
Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVZTMPLqNw8

Name: "Final Bowser Battle (Super Mario Galaxy 2)"
Game of Origin: Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii, 2010)
Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Glzkh5jl31k

Name: "World Bowser"
Game of Origin: Super Mario 3D World (Wii, 2013)
Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjkGGMxyxiA

Name: "Bowser's Castle"
Game of Origin: Mario Kart: Double Dash!! (GCN, 2003)
Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pG4gyOTOnyA

Name: "Final Boss (Yoshi's Island)"
Universe: Yoshi's Island
Game of Origin: Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (SNES, 1995)
Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1Ose7A8P94

Name: "Angry Bowser"
Game of Origin: Paper Mario (N64, 2000)
Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFbdwxLDzMA

Name: "Airship Theme (Brawl)"
Universe: Super Smash Bros. / Super Mario Bros.
Game of Origin: Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii, 2008) / Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES, 1988)
Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNAmyydSGX0
-CASV1-

The CASV focuses on taking a veteran and possibly revamping them, buffing/nerfing, or giving them an entirely new move set. It was decided that the first veteran to get a make over would be:

Ganondorf

Name:
Ganondorf
Justification: As if it wasn't a given, Ganondorf takes his moveset from Captain Falcon, a character that is from a different universe. As a result, his moveset doesn't take any basis from what he actually does in the games. As a result, it's a downright needed revision for him to be far more faithful to his real incarnation. In addition, his moveset clashes with his playstyle; instead of being a true powerhouse, he takes moves from a speed demon and it doesn't mesh very well.
Examples of Possible Changes: Usage of his sword, projectiles such as the parry ball, overall a moveset that focuses more on Power and less on being exactly like the Captain. However, as a thing to be noted, I personally think there's a point where some of his moves still work, but not all of them do. Attacks like the God Hand would stay naturally equal while moves that aren't really showing how Ganondorf actually is should be changed. Giving him minimal projectiles and the like would need to be made in the sense where it contributes to his playstyle.
Here is a break down of how the process went:
1. Character Discussion (Users submitted a potential veteran to makeover and nominate them.)
Yoshi, Ness, Ganondorf, Lucario, Toon Link, Wario, Peach, Luigi, Meta Knight, and Falco were nominated. Ganondorf, Toon Link, Lucario, and Wario were slated.​
2. Character Poll (characters with 5 or more votes are voted upon)
Ganondorf ultimately won the poll.​
3. Playstyle Assessment (Discussion on the food, bad, and what can be changed for Ganondorf)
Users discussed how Ganondorf is a semi-clone/clone and doesn't use his canon abilities. Potential sword wielder.​
4. Playstyle Discussion (Users submit a playstyle submission and nominated)
Dark Magic Swordsman and Akuma-esque Swordsman were nominated. Both slated.​
5. Playstyle Poll (Characters with 5 or more votes are voted upon on the poll)
Dark Magic Swordsman won the poll.​
6. Moveset Workshop (Based on what won, potential changes or adjustments to the move set is discussed)
Ganondorf moveset discussion is ongoing. Talk of making him able to switch between magic or sword fighting. As well, changes to his move set by adding canon abilities is also being discussed​
Here is how Ganondorf looks right now:

Name: Dark Magic Swordsman
General Description
: A character who possesses both skills in dark magic as well as wielding a sword. This can either implemented by adding a sword to him and allowing him to battle with both a magic and sword though this would mean removing his current move set. Another avenue is the ability for Ganondorf to unsheathe his sword using his taunt button but unable to be performed in mid-air. This would allow Ganondorf to utilize his current move set and a new one based on sword play.
Justification for Ganondorf having this playstyle: In the games Ganondorf has appeared in, he has always used a mixture of both dark magic such as projectiles and phantoms as well as powerful swordplay. He also used a sword as his victory pose in Melee.
Counterpicks in Mind: Marth who is able to negate Ganondorf's bestial strength with speed and his counter. Character who can zone such as Olimar.

Name:
Ganondorf
Justification: As if it wasn't a given, Ganondorf takes his moveset from Captain Falcon, a character that is from a different universe. As a result, his moveset doesn't take any basis from what he actually does in the games. As a result, it's a downright needed revision for him to be far more faithful to his real incarnation. In addition, his moveset clashes with his playstyle; instead of being a true powerhouse, he takes moves from a speed demon and it doesn't mesh very well.
Examples of Possible Changes: Usage of his sword, projectiles such as the parry ball, overall a moveset that focuses more on Power and less on being exactly like the Captain. However, as a thing to be noted, I personally think there's a point where some of his moves still work, but not all of them do. Attacks like the God Hand would stay naturally equal while moves that aren't really showing how Ganondorf actually is should be changed. Giving him minimal projectiles and the like would need to be made in the sense where it contributes to his playstyle.
-Future Plans for the CAS-

The CAS Project currently has three sub-projects underway. However, the staff would like to continue with more such as adding more characters, stages, and items, assist trophies, and game modes. It requires activity and dedication to keeping it afloat so if you would like to help out with the CAS, please participate!

-Interview with the CAS Staff-

I sat down with the CAS staff and asked them a few questions regarding the CAS.

@God Robert's Cousin

What gave you the idea of CAS? How much preparation did it take before starting it?
In the Smash 4 Back Room, Shortiecanbrawl set up a thread towards creating our own Smash Bros. While it initially enjoyed activity, members of the Back Room lost interest and the idea died off. I myself, however, didn't want to see such a good idea go to waste. Around February 17th, 2014, I entertained the idea of a "community-driven Smash Bros." to AEM, and he liked the idea to the point of supporting that I create a Social Group to make such a thing happen. I created a Social Group based on that and added AEM as one of the group's moderators. Shortly afterwards, I invited a few of my friends I figured would be interested. Swamp, who immediately took notice later that night and messaged me on Steam asking me more about it, became the driving force for the project's recognition. He recommended that I invite everyone from the Smash 4 Back Room and some of the more contributive members of the SSB4 Character Discussion forum, and so I did. I didn't have faith that we'd have any more than 10 people working on this. Within 24 hours of the group being started up, we gained over 70 members. People were enthralled with the idea.

After setting up some of the basic threads and taking the time to look into similar projects to ones like this, I settled upon the idea of emulating the spirit of the Create-A-Pokemon Project, Smogon's community project of creating Pokemon from scratch with the purpose of testing gameplay concepts that weren't currently seen in Pokemon. Using their system of thread-by-thread discussion and voting, I was able to figure out an organized method to being able to get most out of everyone's voice while still giving a definable purpose to each of the creations we make.

After several days of preliminary discussion amongst AEM, Swampasaur, and I, CAS launched its first community-project and we've been around ever since. a simple idea the "Create-A-Smash Project" turned into this community-wide endeavor... To say I was happy would be a complete understatement. It turns out the only thing separating you from starting great with your friends and peers is just doing it. Who would've figured? :laugh:

Are you happy with how it is progressing? Do you feel it's progressing too fast, too slow, or average? Is it progressing according to your expectations or do you think it can improve?
It often seems to be a mix of these throughout the projects. On the one hand, we might have a lot of people helping out with an aspect of a character or stage at just the right rate: active, but not cluttered.

On the other hand, another phase of that same project might end up with only a few participants, which really brings progress to a halt when it turns into myself and the CAS Staff doing most of the work. A great amount of voices gives us more perspective on each individual step of the projects. When we lack participation, the project really suffers because of it. It's really not a matter of how fast or slow we progress, but rather how we can progress leaving a discussion with more insight.

The project also has room for improvement in terms of staff efficiency, which I can accept knowing I'm a good amount to blame because of. It's otherwise a matter of time: Once CAS matures a little more, I think its true potential will be found. With nearly 3 completed projects so far, we've hardly even scratched the surface of what this could be capable of.

What are your goals? What do you hope to achieve at the projects end?
Our over-arching goal is to create the "ideal" Smash Bros. One that adheres to what the community here on Smashboards wants. We're not looking to create another competitive masterpiece like Project M that focus, no. Rather, Create-A-Smash will ideally lead us into the direction of creating the blueprint for a Smash Bros. most people, both competitive and casual, Nintendo fanatics and "franchise virgins" alike, would be satisfied with.

Whenever we create a character, for example, we go through separate discussions of different aspects of them. Characters are added with objectivity in purpose: Rather than simply check-marking them off as representative towards a series or a popular additions solely based on the current market, we ask these types of questions:
  • What kind of unique playstyle would we want to see in Smash Bros.? Is it already objectively done to some extent? Would having it actually help the roster's balance?
  • Why does a character deserve to be in Smash Bros.? Do we see their potential because they were an important veteran to their series, or are they rife with potential for the future?
  • How well does the playstyle go in-hand with the character? Is it appropriate to what makes sense? Is it fun?
Through that, we go through the different phases of our character project that help to ultimately define the answers to those questions. We get to craft characters that people want to see, that have potential in higher-level play, and that make the game fun. The result is characters that feel right to be associated with Smash Bros.

In what ways have you tried to include members from Smash Boards? Have you considered trying to involve members from other areas of the forums such as those who strictly play Brawl, P:M, Melee, or 64? Would you like the CAS to have a more public image?
Like said before, the main bulk of our involvement comes from the invites we sent out to members that have proven themselves capable of contributing towards discussion of what makes a "good" roster. With them added, the CAS Staff and I felt confident that we've added the heart of the Smash 4 community with the 75 folks we currently have. The main issue is that, while we want to include as many people as possible, making the project 100% public leaves possibility for lesser-experienced users to come on and either contribute nothing of value or distract the discussions from staying on the subject at hand. In other words, we want to capture the essence of Smash 4 community without capturing the harmful aspects of it too.

The main reason we strive for SSB4 Character Discussion members over anyone else is that they are a crowd of folks that share one important trait: Cognition. In discussing a game with many uncertainties and possibilities, the people that actively speculate in Smash Bros. 4's upcoming release are discussing potential ideas daily. Rather, instead of following absolutes that come with all past Smash Bros.'s developed meta-games and completely explored files, the better members of SSB4 Character Discussion are able to philosophize towards forming ideas that reach others' expectations of what would definitively make a good Smash Bros. game. After all, to many of them, there are no restrictive tiers currently in SSB4. There are no limits for what would give the game playability. They're a colorful palette actively brushing ideas onto the blank canvas that is Super Smash Bros. for Wii U / 3DS. I merely want to extract that.

The issue then in doing this, of course, is that while creative ideas help to fuel the aesthetic and directional aspects of our projects, we have less objective insight as a result. We don't get as many experienced players who understand Smash Bros.'s metagame as a result, which has definitely taken effect on our gameplay-assessive discussions in having less participation. Getting help from those who understand the core mechanics of SSB64, Melee, Brawl, and Project M would help alleviate that. If there were more users with a fine balance of both metagame-comprehension and creative cognition, this issue would become resolved completely, I feel.

Perhaps once we gain a better understanding of the project's strengths and weakness, and once we have more CAS Staff hired to help manage the social group, we can be more lenient towards broadening our userbase. If we can accomplish that, we accomplish publicizing CAS in a way that makes it open to everyone while keeping its credibility, which will be a huge help the project.

-In Conclusion-

The CAS Project is dedicated in creating a hypothetical 100% user-created Super Smash Bros. game using input from members and a very detailed organization structure that focuses on discussion and voting processes. Currently, the only finished portion is CASN1 with Lip being the first newcomer. Currently, Bowser's Castle is near its final stages as is the veteran, Ganondorf. If you are interested in join this Social Group, send any of the staff members a Private Message about joining.

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Peach

Writer: TumblrFamous

Once again, everyone’s favorite damsel in distress is back to fight in Super Smash Bros. for 3DS and Wii U! This is Princess Peach’s 3rd time playable in the series, her introduction in Super Smash Bros. Melee. Peach was revealed via Pic of the Day on September 12, 2013. Has our lovely princess of the Mushroom Kingdom received any changes since Brawl? Let’s see what the fourth installment of Smash Bros. has up its sleeves with her this time.
Appearance

View attachment 12557

Here’s a comparison of all the official artworks of Peach for Melee, Brawl, and Wii U/3DS, respectively. Overall, like all the other characters, her colors lean more toward primary colors, with distinct shades of pink in her dress. While more detailed than ever, her dress seems to be more simplistic, solely due to the fact that it is powered up visually. Her hair is much brighter and “yellower”, much like her Melee counterpart, and her facial expressions in the new installment are great. Her new look and colors are also close to her in recent appearances (yet of course much more in detail):

Princess Peach in Super Mario 3D World

Moveset

Peach was a very unique character when introduced in Melee, being given the interesting mechanic and ability to float. This is essential to her gameplay, giving her great horizontal recovery and a wide variety of options in her aerial game.

Neutral Special: Toad

The Toad, Peach’s loyal servant, sacrifices himself to save Peach (or rather, she pulls him out and saves herself). Any attack done to Toad will be countered. Toad will release spores that will knock back the opponent.

Side Special: Peach Bomber

Peach twirls in the air and smashes the opponent with her….um….behind. In Melee, she gave off a fiery explosion. In Brawl and in this game, she lets off heart power. If you want to see this move in action, check out the Smash Direct!

Up Special: Peach Parasol

Peach jumps in the air with her parasol, and then floats safely back down. She is able to bring her parasol down to fall faster, and then bring it back up. While it isn’t one of the best recoveries out there, it certainly makes Peach look photogenic.

Down Special: Vegetable

Oh yeah, the turnips are back. These turnips are nasty, but give our princess some good approaching capabilities. Different turnips come out at random, with the elusive Stitch-Faced Turnip being her most dangerous, with great knockback and killing capability. Also, out of chance, she can pull out (at least in Melee and Brawl) a Beam Sword, a Mr. Saturn, and a Bob-omb. All of these items are already confirmed, so we’ll see if they will be pulled out again.

Neutral A Combo: Double Slap

Peach just slaps the opponent…. Nothing more to it!

Forward Tilt: Split Kick

Peach does a 180-Degree high kick. This is a decent move for juggling, especially when it lands up close.

Up Tilt: Heart Stab

Peach snaps her fingers, and produces a storm of hearts above her. This is a pretty good move in her game, particularly to shut down aerial players.

Down Tilt: Ground Swipe

Peach swipes the ground. This has great range, and can meteor smash.

Dash Attack: Dash Push

Peach dashes across with her arms pushed out. Shown in the Direct, it now has a sparkle effect when the move ends.

Forward Smash: Bludgeon

Peach produces a weapon and attacks. The weapons are a tennis racket, a golf club, or her frying pan. Each of these weapons have different properties, and come out in a consecutive order. So far, only her tennis racket is confirmed.

Up Smash: Twirl Poke

Peach twirls with her arm raised. In this game, Peach has a ribbon effect that produces around her while she does the move. Whether this ribbon has any effect on the increase of her range, we have no idea.

Down Smash: Dress Spin

Peach crouches and twirls on the ground. Back in Melee, this used to be the most damaging move in the game, with a record of up to 96% damage if hit properly. However, it was greatly nerfed in Brawl, only doing up to around 20%. It is unknown what it will be like in this game.

Neutral Aerial: Twirl

Peach twirls in the air. This is a decent move for knockback.

Forward Aerial: Crown Smack

Peach takes off her crown and smacks the opponent with it. Her best killing move.

Back Aerial: Butt Bump

Peach smacks the opponent with her….backside. Good knockback and killing potential at high enough damage.

Up Aerial: Upper Kick

Peach kicks the air above her. This has great KO potential at high damages. At a low percent, this can make for a seriously devastating combo.

Down Aerial: Stomp Kicks

Peach pummels the opponent under her with a set of kicks. An excellent move for combos.

Pummel: Low Kick

Once grabbed, Peach kicks the opponent. A very fast pummel.

Forward Throw: Big Slap

Peach slaps the opponent with a mighty hand. In Melee, this had great knockback, but was reduced in Brawl.

Back Throw: Butt Blast

Peach bounces the opponent off of her hip. It has decent knockback.

Up Throw: Push Up

Volleys the opponent upward. Can be sweetspotted with an Up Smash at a high enough percentage.

Down Throw: Butt Slam

Peach slams the opponent to the ground, and slams again with her…behind. Great for chaingrabbing.

Taunts

All three of her taunts have been confirmed. Her Up Taunt, Down Taunt, and Side Taunt, respectively.

Unknown Moves

It is unknown what this move is. Peach produces a rainbow above her. From Process of Elimination, many people believe this is a new Up Aerial.

Overview

Overall, Peach hasn't gotten anything too huge that would be considered an upgrade. She has become known to be a "player", flirting with almost every single guy in the game through pictures (stealing Zelda's man). But other than that, she is still the same Peach we know and love.

:peach:!Thanks for reading!:peach:

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Stage Analysis:
Wily Castle
Author: @ Venus of the Desert Bloom Venus of the Desert Bloom

Wily Castle is a confirmed stage for the Wii U version of Super Smash Bros. It was first confirmed in Mega Man's reveal trailer:

It draws many themes and elements from its Mega Man version and serves as an important location for the entire series. It, most likely, serves as the home stage for Mega Man and the sole Mega Man stage for the Wii U version. It is not known if the stage will appear on the 3DS or if a more hand-held stage will appear.

Origin

Wily Castle is an important and pivotal location in the Mega Man franchise. It serves as the last level that Mega Man must face before confronting his nemesis, Dr. Wily. Within the castle are a number of traps, obstacles, and enemies that could of potentially been drawn upon for the stage. However, Masahiro Sakurai and his team decided to go with it's Mega Man 2 depiction.

While the reason is unclear, it is most likely due to the fact that Mega Man 2 was the second Mega Man franchise to appear on a Nintendo system and the first game for Wily Castle to appear in. Not to mention, this is the version that is depicted in most crossover or spin-off games.

Mega Man Soccer

This version of the castle is considered the most iconic to the franchise; more than any other location.

Yellow Devil

The Yellow Devil is originally from the first Mega Man game and appeared as a dungeon boss. It is interesting to note that he is not an enemy from Mega Man II nor was he ever fought in Wily Castle but, rather, in Dr. Wily's Robot Manufacturing Plant on the first Level. Despite that, Yellow Devil is considered an iconic enemy and has appeared in various spin-offs. He is considered to be a very nostalgic and representable enemy after the likes of Dr. Wily.

Yellow Devil in Mega Man: Battle and Chase.​

Within the game, it's weak spot is it's red eye which occasionally closes or opens thus making the players time their shots. This is carried over into the Wii U stage.

Stage Layout

The stage has a fairly simple design which incorporates many Mega Man themes. For starters, the stage shows various aspects of the Mega Man games such as the "W" logo for Wily and the design of the main platform. While it doesn't seem to draw inspiration from any levels, it could be argued that Mecha Dragon was used as a potential color scheme.

Or perhaps a better case could be made for Level 1 from the Dr. Wily's Robot Manufacturing Plant:

Regardless, it does not seem the stage terrain takes any particular aspect from the the actual games save for a few. However, the "W" icon is directly from the Mega Man series and represents the mad doctor who is behind the madness.

As you may noticed, there are several platforms that appear on the stage - either stationary or moving in nature. It appears that these platforms go through various phases:

• Phase 1: Stationary
There are two platforms off to either side of the stage. They appear to be able to pass through them and remain stationary for a period of time.
  • Phase 2: Moving
It appears the left-hand platform will move along a particular track (which is a throw back to the various methods of locomotion found within the Mega Man Franchise). It is unknown if there is a track for the right hand side or if it simply vanishes. Judging from the lack of a track during this phase on the right-hand side, it seems this platform will vanish
  • Phase 3: Yellow Devil
Once Yellow Devil appears from the castle and composes itself onto the stage. It appears that the platforms will vanish when it arrives and/or reappear when the Yellow Devil vanishes. For this reason, this could potentially be the first phase if the stage automatically starts off with Yellow Devil appearing. However, it does not seem this is the case and it could be some time before he actually appears (but within time frame of a 3 minute match).
Yellow Devil and the moving platforms are confirmed to be removed for the Final Destination version of the stage.

Talking about Yellow Devil....

Yellow Devil

Yellow Devil is confirmed as a stage boss for the Wily Castle stage. When it appears, it will assimilate and grow. It will then begin to launch powerful energy type attacks that can damage players. They seem to be fairly powerful as it does some knock back. It will also occasionally shift from one side to the other; dissembling itself and them re-assembling itself on the other side. As it moves, it can damage players much like in the games.

It's weak spot is its red eye. It was occasionally close it as to protect itself. Once it attack, the Yellow Devil will flash. This adds to a damage counter that, once it reaches the max, it will seemingly self-destruct causing area-wide damage to all but the last player who hit it. This is identifiable by the icon that appears by it after the last attack.

This attack seems very powerful and easily KO'd characters even at medium health. It also has an area wide effect with high knock back. The Yellow Devil vanishes in the blast and it is unknown if he returns.

This is his Mega Man II version. Notice the normal eye.

Other Cameos

While particularly unlikely, there could be additional cameos by other well known Mega Man characters that hasn't be revealed before. These could include:

Dr. Wily

While the Yellow Devil is confirmed as a stage hazard, it is possible that Dr. Wily will appear on the stage in some form. It would be an obvious move considering it is his castle. He could appear as a stage element, coming in from the top of the screen, laughing while pushing his eyebrows up and down and then flying back to his castle.

Mecha Dragon

While unlikely, Mecha Dragon could play the part as a second stage hazard or as a background element. Given his flying nature, he could potentially be seen flying around the castle. Plus, he was featured as a boss on the MMII version of Wily's Castle.

Sniper Joe

While fairly unlikely, Sniper Joe could work in as a cameo...though I feel he might be better suited for Smash Run.

Protoman

Seemingly Mega Man's rival, Protoman might be a bit of stretch for a stage hazard of element. I felt he fit better as an Assist Trophy rather than a stage hazard or element.

Music

It is most likely the song that appeared on the Mega Man Reveal trailer. This is confirmed to an arrangement based on the song. Wily Castle.

This is a recreation of said song by Youtuber "GuardianSoul"

Also confirmed through the Direct is an arrangement of Spark Man's Theme song

It is well known that Mega Man's Up Smash is based off Spark Man thus this could lead other Boss Masters having music for the Wily Castle stage.

Here are a few more examples that could lead to potential song tracks:

Metal Man Theme (this is a favorite of mine)

Flame Man Theme

Sword Man Theme

Air Man Theme

Guts Man Theme

Wood Man Theme

Crash Man Theme

Additionally, given Elec Man is a confirmed Assist Trophy, I feel his Theme Song is very likely:

Outside of the Robot Masters that were incorporated into Mega Man's moveset, here are a few other tracks I feel fit well into the stage:

I feel some of these would help represent the franchise, such as Yellow Devil's Theme, Skull Man's Theme, Cut Man's Theme, and the Robot Museum. Others I think would sound cool on the stage such as the two Roll Themes, Dr. Light's Theme, Astro Man's Theme, Proto Man's Theme, Heat Man's Theme, and others just because I like them such as Turbo Man's Theme, Dr, Light's Theme, Gesellschaft (Storm), Mega Man XIII Zero Theme, and Spring Man's Theme. Overall, there is a wealth of nostalgic music that can accurately and correctly represent the Mega Man franchise.

Competitive Validity

With the debut of Final Destination version of available stages, this portion of the Stage Analysis seems obsolete. Even though some of the competitive community is still unsure about the Final Destination versions; this still presents the idea that banned stages may be a thing of the past. However, it hasn't been confirmed that ALL stages will have a Final Destination version and stages such as Pilot Wings, Living Room, Balloon Fight, Spirit Tracks, Tomodachi Collection, and Helberd.

However, it has been confirmed that Wily Castle will in fact have an FD version.

But I want to ignore that fact and judge the validity of the stage competitively because we all know that is happening right now and will happen post release.

The stage runs the risk of being banned or at most counter-picked. Due to the stage hazard of Yellow Devil, this could potentially hurts the stages tournament legality. This is much in the same vein as in WarioWare where players have to complete an objective, and when completed, receive some sort of bonus. In this case, it's an exploding Yellow Devil. WarioWare is currently on the banned list of stages.

However, the transporting platform may help its chances since it really does not hinder competitive game play and may even help certain characters or help players create unique strategies. The stage itself has a very straight forward design that is perfect for balanced game play minus the Yellow Devil.

Screenshots

In Conclusion
Wily Castle has earned its spot at representing the Mega Man franchise. Aside from being a nostalgic and iconic location within the Mega Man universe, it also incorporates many elements found within the franchise such as the moving platforms, stage design, and, obviously, the Yellow Devil. It is the first stage confirmed to have a boss character and Sakurai hinted at the possibility of others being included in other stages. While there could potentially be other characters making cameos on the stage, Yellow Devil remains the focal point though it is unsure when it arrives onto the stage. It's tournament legality looks grim outside of the Final Destination version of the stage. It could potentially be a counter-pick but, due to the Yellow Devil boss/stage hazard, this severely limits its potential to be tournament legal without the FD version.

Overall, it is a stage worthy of representing the Mega Man series and combines a large amount of elements from said franchise.​

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Franchise Analysis
Mega Man Franchise Analysis

Mega Man is one of Capcom's flagship titles along with Devil May Cry, Street Fighter, and Monster Hunter. Mega Man or Rokkuman in Japanese (ロックマン) first appeared on the Nintendo Entertainment System in 1987 in Japan, 1989 in America. It was very well received and it spawned further installments of the franchise. It has maintained an intense relationship with Nintendo with many of its games appearing on many of the Nintendo consoles. To date, 55 Mega Man games have been released on a Nintendo system including the NES, SNES, GC, Wii, GB, GBC, GBA, and DS. Sadly, Capcom has largely avoided the Mega Man franchise as of late with hardly any new installments. The latest main series was Mega Man 10 which was released 2010. Street Fighter x Mega Man was released in 2012 and can technically be counted as the latest Mega Man game.

The Mega Man series has spawned multiple sub-franchises. Here is a full list and description:

Mega Man
Apart of the numbered series and the first of the franchise. It pits Mega Man against various Robot Masters and their boss, Dr. Wily. The Mega Man franchise in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS has largely drawn from these games. They number 1 through 10 as well as handheld series which numbers from 1 through 5. There are spin-off series such as Mega Man Soccer and Battle & Chase.

Mega Man X
First appearing on the SNES, Mega Man X is a departure from the more cartoony, child-like environment of the main Mega Man series and includes more mature content. In addition, the Robot Masters have been replaced by Mavericks who are largely based off real world animals. Dr. Wily is replaced with the evil Maverick, Sigma. There also contains a continuous story unlike the main franchise. It numbers from X! to XVIII.

Mega Man Zero
Appearing on the GBA handheld, it focuses on Zero's story after the events of Mega Man X. After entering a state of suspended animation, Zero emerges after the end of the "Elf Wars" and finds himself in the midst of a civil war of sorts. Mavericks continue as well as various other factions such as the Four Guardians. This is one of the first games to not feature Mega Man as one of the playable protagonists.

Mega Man ZX
Appearing on the DS handheld, the story is set 200 years after Mega Man Zero. Reploids and Humans have merged into one called "Humanoids". Another Maverick Uprising has spawned but the heroes from before are not to be seen. Instead, two new characters: Vent and Aile serve as the protagonists. They are able to transform to either X or Zero through Biometals.
Mega Man Legends
Mega Man Legends is a departure from the Mega Man franchise normalicy. Mega Man Volnutt is a digger along with his partners, Roll Caskett, and her grandfather, Barrell Caskett. His adventures leads to a confrontation from his adversary, Tron Bonne. This game was featured only on the Playstation.
Mega Man Battle Network
Yet another departure from the Mega Man formula yet retains ties to the original Mega Man franchise. Mega Man is featured as a NetNavi under ownership of Lan Hikari. Many of the old Mega Man Robot Masters appear as NetNavi's but largely redesigned to fit the general atmosphere of the game. Fighting is done in a grid like structure rather than a side-scrolling type fighting. It appears largely on the GBA and DS.

Mega Man Star Force
Taking place 200 years after the Battle Network series, the protagonist Geo Stelar joins forces with an alien being to find his father. In the process, he somehow becomes the hero Mega Man. Geo Stelar Mega Man must fight against EM Beings.

In addition to the main franchises and sub-franchises, their are a number of spin off games and cross over games as well. Mega Man and characters from the franchises has appeared in every one of the Marvel vs Capcom games as well as the various VS games such as Tatsunoko vs Capcom.

So let's dive into the world of Mega Man and how it can be represented into Super Smash Bros!

Playable Characters

Mega Man
The star of the Mega Man franchise and a largely requested character from the Melee days made his grand appearance on the E3 trailer to much acclaim. Though this is not his first fighting game appearance, it marks his first crossover game with any of the Nintendo franchise characters. Mega Man is confirmed to incorporate various abilities he obtains from defeating the Robot Masters using his Variable Weapon System:

http://megaman.wikia.com/wiki/Super_Smash_Bros._for_Nintendo_3DS_/_Wii_U

Also confirmed is his yet to be named Final Smash

Mega Man's Final Smash summons MegaMan.EXE, Mega Man X, Mega Man Volnutt, and Star Force series Mega Man alongside him before firing off a powerful Shining Laser-like beam from each simultaneously, much like the Pokémon Trainer's Triple Finish Final Smash in Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

This serves Final Smash serves as a great way to represent all of the franchises; especially the various forms of Mega Man that has appeared since its beginning.

To learn more about Mega Man, visit the Smash Bros. wiki page
http://supersmashbros.wikia.com/wiki/SmashWikia

In regards to 3rd party characters, it is common practice for there to be only one represented characters. For example. in Brawl, Metal Gear Solid was represented only by Snake and Sonic was represented by...well...Sonic. This will likely continue into Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS but let's humor ourselves a bit and consider some potential candidates for a playable character.

Zero

Zero is one of the main protagonists and serves as a foil to Mega Man X. While X is more caring and compassionate, Zero is more methodical and focused. He fights primarily with his arm cannon and beam sabre and incorporates attacks that he gains from defeating enemies. He is largely considered the second best newcomer to represent the Mega Man series and recently appeared in the third installment of the Marvel vs Capcom franchise.

Pros
  • Very popular among Mega Man fans
  • Very well known in the gaming community
  • Included in MvC3
  • Star of the Mega Man Zero franchise
  • Has mild support
Cons
  • Has mild support
  • A 2nd representative is not likely
  • It appears SSB4 is focusing more on the original games than the X franchise.

Proto Man

Proto Man is considered a rival of Mega Man in the main franchise games. He incorporates a shield and arm cannon for attacks. While he seems antagonistic towards Mega Man, it is revealed that he is preparing his fight for Dr. Wily for unspecified reasons. Given that Mega Man representation in Super Smash Bros, is largely focused on the Mega Man main franchise, Proto Man could potentially be a possible candidate for a 2nd representative.

Pros
  • Proto Man is an iconic character from the original series
  • Has a deep relationship to Mega Man
  • Playable in Mega Man 10
  • Popular among fans
Cons
  • Very little if any support
  • Less important than Roll or Dr. Wily
  • More suitable as an Assist Trophy

Bass

In the same vein as Proto Man, Bass serves originally as an antagonist but also appears as an ally in some of the games. He works as a foil to Mega Man. However, he isn't extremely too likely considering his competition against the likes of Zero and Proto-Man.

Pros
  • Foil to Mega Man and his rival
  • Popular among Mega Man fans
  • Appears in the original Mega Man series
  • Has a dog partner, Treble much like Mega Man
Cons
  • Even less support than Proto Man
  • Considered not as important in the MM cast
  • A second representative is not likely

Roll

Despite her innocent appearance, Roll is not a stranger to fighting games; having appeared in both Marvel vs Capcom and Tatsunoko vs Capcom. She could be considered one of the top contenders for the second character representative from the first Mega Man games along with Proto-Man.

Pros
  • Iconic and important character in the franchise
  • Has appeared in many of the Mega Man games
  • Playable in various crossover games
  • Popular among fans
Cons
  • Very little support
  • Competition from Proto Man

Dr. Wily

Dr. Wily is the mastermind behind the Robot Masters and the main antagonist in the series. He is also directly responsible for creating Bass and Treble and Zero. While easily the most important bad guy from the original series, his ability to fight would be limited to his machines and robots which could prove to be particular difficult not to mention that transformation characters are confirmed not to appear.

Pros
  • Main villain in the Mega Man franchise
  • Very iconic within the series and video gaming
  • Popular among fans
Cons
  • Problems with potential move set
  • Little fan support

Sigma

Sigma is the leader of the Mavericks and is considered the main antagonist in the X franchise. He enjoys mild fan support and popularity. He has appeared in every X franchise game in some form; either fully healthy or partially destroyed. He could potentially fill in the villain spot for the roster.

Pros
  • Main villain from the X franchise
  • Iconic to the X franchise
  • Appeared in every X franchise game
Cons
  • Very little fan support
  • Not as important as X or Zero
  • Considered less important than Dr. Wily.
Character Overview

The main argument for a 2nd rep from a 3rd party series being included is...because they are a 2nd rep from a 3rd party series. Sakurai has gone on the record in stating that he intends to not add characters willy-nilly (lol) and only certain 3rd party characters will be included. That being said, it is VERY unlikely a 3rd party will get a 2nd representative and Mega Man is not an exception. Regardless, there are a cast of interesting characters that could be included that would provide an interesting addition to the roster.

Stages

It has already been confirmed that Wily Castle will be included as a Wii U and possibly 3DS stage though nothing is confirmed about its appearance on the 3DS. While unconfirmed, 3rd party series received only one stage in Super Smash Bros, Brawl and this could be the same in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS.

If you would like to read about my Wily Castle Stage Analysis, check the post above or follow this link:

What are some other stages that could be considered for Super Smash Bros.?

Wii U

Robot Museum
Origin: Mega Man 7

The Robot Museum first appeared in Mega Man 7. It houses various Robot Masters that have appeared throughout the series. This could potentially serve as away to include the various Robot Masters that have appeared; either as a stage element or a stage hazard. Robot Masters are a huge part of Mega Man and it could be a way to correctly present them.

Highway

Origin: Mega Man X

This stage was the first stage that appeared in Mega Man X and is considered very iconic to the series. The stage consisted of Mega Man running down a highway as cars sped past and particular areas crumbled under his weight. In addition, he encounters various bosses such as this gigantic bee helicoper pictured above and the ex-Maverick Hunter, Vile. It also appears as a Mega Man stage in the fan game Super Smash Flash 2.

Gesellschaft
Origin: Mega Man Legends, Tatsunoko vs Capcom
While Mega Man Legends never touched a Nintendo system, the Gesellschaft appeared as a stage Tstunoko vs Capcom which appeared on the Wii. The stage has two versions: Clear Skies and Storm with different types of music and background effects. The stage has gained quite a following and was widely well received among fans.

Light Labs
Origin: Mega Man
Light Labs is where Dr. Light first created Mega Man, Roll, Proto Man, and the other robots. It serves as his main base and a foil to Wily Castle. However, it hasn't been really properly portrayed in the series and serves only as a hub for Mega Man to purchase items and receive information.

3DS

Wily Castle could potentially show up on the 3DS but receive a make over that better suits the handheld feeling. That being said...

Origin: Mega Man III
It is possible that Wily Castle will receive a more retro look as many Mega Man games, that had the castle, were on the BG. This particular version seems to coincide more with the version that is depicted on the Wii U stage.

Considering that Mega Man Zero and Mega Man ZX, Mega Man Battle Network and Star Force all appeared on a handheld, we could potentially see a stage from these games:

Neo Arcadia
Origin: Mega Man Zero

The main location of the Zero series and is a gigantic metropolis. It contains the military forces, ruling bodies, and citizens of Neo Arcadia It could potentially be a touring stage where it speeds through the various locations of the massive city or serve as a backdrop. It is also possible that various enemies such as Fairy Leviathan, Sage Harpuia, Fighting Fefnir, or Hidden Phantom.

Hunter's Guild
Origin: Mega Man ZX
There is a lack of stages within the first Mega Man ZX that could be considered iconic but one particular location is the Hunter's Guild, a massive flying ship that houses the Hunter's Guild. They give out quests to hunt down Psuedoroids. This could potentially be like a Great Fox-esque stage.

Internet/Undernet
Origin: Mega Man Battle Network
The Internet is one of the main locations for Mega Man Battle Network and were much of what conspires happens. The Undernet is a more ominous place and the reverse of the internet. The stage could potentially flip during the duration of the stage.

Assist Trophies

It is confirmed that Elec Man will appear as an Assist Trophy. Many felt this was an odd choice. Despite his popularity, there were many who thought better fit the roll of an Assist Trophy:

The previously aforementioned characters: Zero, Proto Man, Bass, Roll, Dr. Wily, and Sigma would all be great potential Assist Trophies.

Zero: Attacks with his Beam Saber and performs several of his attacks
Proto Man: Slams the opponent with his shield and delivers some attacks from his Proto Buster.
Bass: Fuses with Treble to attack opponents.
Roll: Sweeps the entire area and can cause opponents to trip.
Dr. Wily: Attacks in one of his Wily Machines
Sigma: Appear and delivers a powerful energy based attack.

Here are some other Assist Trophy ideas:

Cut Man

Cut Man appears and throws his whirling blades that can cut up opponents.

Guts Man
Guts Man appears and begins to throw huge boulders at opponents.

Heat Man
Origin: Mega Man 2

Heat Man appears and begins engulfing the stage in flame.

Toad Man
Origin: Mega Man 4

Toad Man appears and summons rain. The rain will push back opponents over the edges.

Vile
Origin: Mega Man X

Vile appears either in his mech armor or by himself; launching missile attacks.

Auto
Origin: Mega Man 7

Auto appears and begins handing out items; some common and some rare.

Beat
Origin: Mega Man 5

Beat appears and saves any character that might be launched off the stage.

Items

Items in Mega Man usually come in form of health boosters, weapon boosters, increase ones health, or other stat changing items.

Life Energy

Heals small portions of your life.

Weapon Energy
Powers up your moves for a limited time.

1-Up
Either adds another stock to your character or takes away a death from your score

Zero Parts

Can either be collected or thrown for damage. When collected, if the players gets three, it resurrects Zero allowing him to attack other players for a duration of time.

Trophies

Here are a few trophies I think we will see included into Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS:

Mega Man
Mega Man Final Smash
Mega Man X
Mega Man Volnutt
Mega Man.EXE
Mega Man (Star Force)
Rush

Elec Man
Yellow Devil

Considering that character, Final Smashes, stage elements, and assist trophies get an actual trophy - I think they are as good as in. Here are some potential trophies that I think would make great additions:

Zero
Proto Man
Roll
Treble and Bass
Dr. Light
Dr. Wily
Top Man
Spark Man
Flame Man
Sword Man
Slash Man
Air Man
Hard Man
Metal Man
Crash Man
Wood Man
Cut Man
Toad Man
Heat Man
Met
Sniper Joe
Beat
Sigma
Vile
Boomer Kuwanger
Sting Chameleon
Morph Moth
Overdrive Ostritch
Toxic Seahorse
Neon Tiger
Lan Hikari
Roll.EXE
Fairy Leviathan
Sage Harpuia
Fighting Fefnir
Hidden Phantom
Bifrost the Crocoroid
Lurerre the Abysroid
Herculious Anchus
Copy X

Franchise Overview

Mega Man is a rich and diverse franchise that has spanned decades and enthralled video gamers alike. It's simple yet difficult game play and level design, unique enemies, ability to receive new weapons, and the various versions of Mega Man is a contributing factor to its success. Sadly, the series hasn't seen a new game since Mega Man 10. Hopefully, with Mega Man's inclusion into Super Smash Bros. Wii U and 3DS; renewed interest in the series will arise and Capcom will once again begin working on new installments. Mega Man being included into Super Smash Bros. a playable newcomer is a dream come true for many and it is being well represented through the stages and assist trophies. Let's hope for some rich Mega Man content that does the series justice.​

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
We Want YOU to Vote! Results

What was your favorite part of the Super Smash Bros. Direct?

This was a pretty broad question which had many options to choose from. Maybe too many options in retrospect. Here is how the votes turned out as of Thursday, 04/17/2014:

What was your favorite part of the Super Smash Bros. Direct?
  1. Release Dates
    3 vote(s)
    6.7%​
  2. About Online Play
    4 vote(s)
    8.9%​
  3. Stages
    0 vote(s)
    0.0%​
  4. Final Destination stages
    3 vote(s)
    6.7%​
  5. Global Smash Power
    1 vote(s)
    2.2%​
  6. Items
    3 vote(s)
    6.7%​
  7. Assist Trophies
    0 vote(s)
    0.0%​
  8. Pokeballs
    0 vote(s)
    0.0%​
  9. Zero Suit Samus
    0 vote(s)
    0.0%​
  10. Shiek
    1 vote(s)
    2.2%​
  11. Yoshi
    0 vote(s)
    0.0%​
  12. Charizard
    1 vote(s)
    2.2%​
  13. Greninja
    3 vote(s)
    6.7%​
  14. All of the Characters
    3 vote(s)
    6.7%​
  15. Smash Run
    4 vote(s)
    8.9%​
  16. Custom Attacks
    0 vote(s)
    0.0%​
  17. EVERYTHING!!!!!
    19 vote(s)
    42.2%​
  18. Nothing....
    0 vote(s)
    0.0%​
  19. Other (Please let us know!)
    0 vote(s)
    0.0%​
Needless to say "EVERYTHING!!!!!" received the most votes with 19 altogether or 42.2% of the total votes. Meanwhile, "About Online Play" and "Smash Run" received 4 votes each or 8.9% of the votes. Coming in third were ties across the board: All of the Characters, Greninja, Final Destination Stages, Items, and the Release Dates all tied it up. Honorable mentions goes to: Global Smash Power (1), Shiek (1), and Charizard (1). Sadly, Zero Suit Samus with her powered up heels or the prolonged Yoshi reveal did not have enough power to stand out. The same goes for the Custom Attacks, Stages, Assist Trophies, and Pokeballs

However, if you consider that technically, the votes that went towards the characters could technically go towards "All of the Characters", then that option would win second place with a total of 8 votes. However, that is not the case but a lot can be said for the characters that did get votes - especially Greninja. I imagine its reveal trailer is what got people excited.

In total 72 people voted in this poll which I find quite good considering this tWiR took a back seat for the Direct edition. I am also relieved (and surprised) now one chose the "Nothing..." option. Reading through some of the Direct comments in various threads makes me think otherwise...

We Want YOU to Vote!

Who is your favorite Newcomer thus far?

So far, we have had six newcomers revealed that represent a wide area of games and fighting styles. Along with the E3 Three: Villager, Mega Man, and Ms. Fit and adding the Winter Direct Rosalina and Luma, Valentines Direct Little Mac, and the SSB Direct Greninja....who is your favorite? Which one are you looking forward to playing the most? Let us know!
  • Villager
  • Mega Man
  • Wii Fit Trainer
  • Rosalina and Luma
  • Little Mac
  • Greninja

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Misc Information/Requests
The WiR is a huge commitment for me. I typically spend anywhere from an hour to 5 hours of my day making sure the WiR is as good as it can be. But I do have a job that I constantly have to prepare and study for as long as taking online classes myself and studying Japanese to further my career. Not to mention I have a social life, a wife, and commitments that conflicts with the WiR.

Therefore, I depend A LOT on outside help. If you would like to help write a WiR, please contact me via Private Message and we can work out the details. If you have any idea or would like to contribute something different, I am open to ideas. For example, the veteran analysis was entirely @APC99’s idea. I could also use some help in finding quotes, watching threads, and proofreading. If you see some interesting posts that you think may help me in writing the WiR, simply quote it in a Private Message or quote/tag me in your post on that thread. That way, I am sure to read it and within its context.

Secondly, I want to open to three Requests I have for people. If you are interested in helping out, please put "____________ Submission" so I know what you are applying for.

Little Mac Newcomer Analysis

Are you planning on maining Mac? Was he one of your most wanted characters? Or are you interested in writing about him? I am looking for a capable writer to help cover the Little Mac analysis.

If you want to write up a analysis on Little Mac, hit me up on PM.

Potential Character Analysis: Ridley

Are you an avid supporter of Ridley! Show your knowledge of the space dragon by writing up an analysis of how Ridley would be incorporated into Smash! Everything from move sets, stats, game play, and more! Contact me for more details!

Last edited:

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
Like always, great review.

I'm actually kind of surprised that Sakurai isn't taking another small break from the Pic of the Days, since he released about a million other photos and forty minutes of footage.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Like always, great review.

I'm actually kind of surprised that Sakurai isn't taking another small break from the Pic of the Days, since he released about a million other photos and forty minutes of footage.
Spring break really isn't a holiday moment if you're not in school, so I doubt that Sakurai would take a break because of that.

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
Spring break really isn't a holiday moment if you're not in school, so I doubt that Sakurai would take a break because of that.
Oh, I didn't mean because of Spring Break (though he should take that off, since he works nonstop). I meant because he just released a ton of content for us.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Oh, I didn't mean because of Spring Break (though he should take that off, since he works nonstop). I meant because he just released a ton of content for us.
If Sakurai expects to get the games done before 2014 ends, he has to show a good deal of determination with his work.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
You've listed it's confirmed that after-images appear in the Wii-fit stage, but you may be jumping the gun.

I noticed in this pic from the flickr album

https://www.flickr.com/photos/25792657@N00/13915917114/in/set-72157644096275264

another pic of ZSS with after images, on a different stage. It's very possibly a new mechanic for ZSS instead of a stage specific occurrence. They look a little different, maybe an effect from the stage makes them look different, or maybe it is purely from the stage, but it just seemed off to put it as confirmed for all characters when it may be a ZSS specific element.

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
You've listed it's confirmed that after-images appear in the Wii-fit stage, but you may be jumping the gun.

I noticed in this pic from the flickr album

https://www.flickr.com/photos/25792657@N00/13915917114/in/set-72157644096275264

another pic of ZSS with after images, on a different stage. It's very possibly a new mechanic for ZSS instead of a stage specific occurrence. They look a little different, maybe an effect from the stage makes them look different, or maybe it is purely from the stage, but it just seemed off to put it as confirmed for all characters when it may be a ZSS specific element.
@ Frostwraith Frostwraith wrote this article. What do you think, Frost?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom