• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Week in Review #4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
The Week in Review Edition #4
2/04 - 2/07
Writers:

@ Venus of the Desert Bloom Venus of the Desert Bloom

Last week was quite eventful with Lucario being revealed on Friday as well as Rosalina game play mechanics, a new item, Palutena's statue and the storm that brought, and the Nintendo meeting that had everyone on the edge of their seats; waiting to see what the meeting would bring. This week, in comparison, was rather tame. The week started predictably with Lucario related pictures as is the case for any reveal. We got know a little bit about Lucario's Aura mechanic that seems to be buffed up this time around; in particular related top his Up B Recovery move ExtremeSpeed as well as his Neutral Special Aura Sphere. We also got our first confirmed PokeBall Pokemon (not counting Xereas) in the Pearl mascot, Palkia. Read more about him and what he might do. On Thursday,
I would like to say a big and huge thank you to:

[*} @ Sarki Soliloquy Sarki Soliloquy for continuing to write about the Villager analysis. It takes a lot of effort, time, and research for what he does so, if you can, please thank him for it!

[*] @ N3ON N3ON for agreeing to be interviewed! It was a lot of fun and I feel we will get to know you just a little bit better!

[*] Lastly, to all of the Smashboards users who posts really make up what the WiR is. Without your insightful (and crazy) posts, this thread would not exist so thank you very much!

Previous Issues

[collapse=Previous Issues]
To view the previous issues
Issue #1
Issue #2
Issue #3
[/collapse]

Want to help or contribute?

[collapse=Rules and Other Infos]This is the first edition of "The Week in Review". The Week in Review will be a series of articles I have made throughout the week concerning the Pic of Day through using posts, threads, and MiiVerse to pool information and opinions about Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS . However, the articles are not only limited to my own observation but to those of the larger Smash 4 community. Users are encouraged to submit articles and observations as well as opinions concerning the pictures that were updated throughout the week. I will explain how you can contribute later.
So what can you expect from this thread? On Friday, I will update the thread with a new article which will contain the Pic of the Day, other relevant images, information, I will also be pulling out interesting and thought provoking posts that have popped up throughout the week on the various threads such as the Wii U Discussion thread, 3DS Discussion Thread, MiiVerse Photo Thread, Roster Discussion Thread, character support threads as well as the Super Smash Bros, Wii U/3DS Backroom thus linking them altogether. In addition, I will also be adding up any information that Sakurai has revealed outside of the website/MiiVerse such as interviews and news articles.
I will open the thread on the weekend for people to talk about how the week went and comment on the articles. However, I will be closing the thread on Monday in order to prevent premature discussion about the weeks updates. I will be operating on Japanese Standard Time since both myself and Sakurai (OMG both of us in the same sentence?!?!?!) live on JST. View the JST Page in order to fully understand how time works.

Additionally, while this thread will focus on solely the Pic of the Day, I will sometimes allow pieces to be written about Smashboards, the Smash Community, MiiVerse, or Sakurai information. Additionally, once we have more information regarding the nature of the character, I will allow a user to write up an in-depth analysis of a character, veteran or newcomer. So come show your stuff!

Why is this thread needed?
We do have various discussion threads pertaining to various aspects of Smash. However, this is less of a discussion thread and more like a newsletter. I intend to present the facts and portray an unbiased review of the week. It will also serve as a hub to collect information, pictures, and articles that have been released in a weekly format thus allowing users to review the past weeks for better understanding how to predict future updates or to comb through information in an effective manner. It will also serve as a place to users to present their information, opinions, and observations in a semi-academical format. More information is listed below. If you see an interesting, funny, thought-provoking, or ridiculous post either on the SWF or on MiiVerse, PM me about it and I will include it! If you want me to remove you from a certain Tag, PM me and I will take you off.

Also, I wanted to use this space to allow users to be creative and constructive in speculating Smash in a more journalistic manner. I will not edit any posts except if they are inappropriate, bypass the censor, hateful in nature, or irrelevant.

How can I help?

You can contribute to this thread in many ways.
1) You can serve as a guest writer. This is done by contacting me via PM and apply to be a guest writer for the current week. I am able to allow or refuse the guest writer based on past credentials and reputation within the Smash 4 community so please keep that in mind.

After approval, I can either give you a piece to write OR you can choose one yourself. It should be focused on a particular Pic of the Day. Please promptly let me know which one you intend to. If I do not hear from you within a day, I will not accept an article. The article itself should be professionally written with little to no grammar or spelling mistakes. Any sources should be cited with a link to direct readers. While I understand some updates may be hard to write for, please write at least two paragraphs for each update. Unless it is an update of Luigi's nose but I am sure someone can find some Freudian psycho-analysis about that update. Please refer to the first edition post about how to write an article (though I am pretty sure many journalist/lit majors can do a much better job than I can lol).

2) You can help me gather posts that are excellent or at least interesting in nature. PM me any posts concerning a particular update and I will then add it to the articles. I frequent the above mentioned threads on a daily basis but I obviously miss things so I am heavily dependent on everyone getting me those great and thought-provoking posts. I want this thread to showcase what the brilliant minds in the Smash 4 community can do!

3) While you can discuss past and future weeks, please refrain from dissecting or analyzing the previous/future weeks and save that for the current week.

4) Could someone be a dear and make a banner for this thread. It's not urgent but a banner would be grand.[/collapse]
Table of Contents

1.1 Day #1: Auralarific!
2.1 Day #2: Moving at ExtremeSpeeds!
3.1 Day #3: How to Train your Water/Dragon-type Spatial Dragon
4.1 Day #3: Grand Opening of the Official Character Discussion Thread
5.1 Day #4: The Galaxy is Hiding under Rosalina's Gown? (Oh my!)
6.1 Day #5: One Mother of a Tease
7.1 Week Overview
8.1 Editorials
9.1 Week in Review Interview: N3ON
10.1 Character Analysis: The Villager Part 2

Auralarific!
02/04/14
Monday

Writer: Venus of the Desert Bloom

With the Lucario reveal last Friday being the hype train that it was; it did bring a lot of those who are lamenting his return since they believe his return lowers Mewtwo's chances. MiiVerse users took to MiiVerse in droves to express their dissatisfaction.
Jordan said:
Wow. Lucario is back in...what a disappointment. They had so many choices such as blaziken, greninja, zororak, and even more but no we get lucario.
And many begging for Mewtwo instead of Lucario.

Even Smashboards had their fair share of "Oh, woe is Mewtwo!" moments not without reason since Lucario is often suspected for replacing Mewtwo in Brawl but that is often a point of contention and that debate still rages on.

Crap. Just crap. I am furious beyond words. Lucario was not a good inclusion in Brawl. His quirk actually rewarded you for getting punched around like a Sandbag. I'd rather have them remove the quirk or have them reward you for hitting people. The last thing I wanted them to do was make his quirk better. And now that this bumbling bag of sand got in, I'm severely worried about Mewtwo. I still think he has an extremely high chance of making it, but from what I can tell, the last characters you expect to be added are being added in this game. Oh, c'mon Mewtwo... if he doesn't make it then I'll be even angrier than the time Rosalina made it in.
@U-Turn

I really am fearing for Mewtwo for some reason. God I want him in the game so bad.
@ZombieVito

Yet, some were hopeful that Mewtwo could return with Lucario

Lol people are thinking Mewtwo's deconfirmed. At this point, I would assume Mewtwo would be a huge priority, in my opinion moreso than Lucario. Mewtwo will be revealed sooner or later.
@TumblrFamous

Lucario doesn't hurt Mewtwo at all, if Brawl's files are anything to go by they were never in direct competition with each other. Most of us expect both of them anyways.
@Wariofan1

Regardless, Lucario is back and, as Sakurai stated, with his Aura mechanic.
Sakurai said:
Pic of the day. A size comparison of Lucario's standard special attack, Aura Sphere, in its weakest and strongest states. The attack is faster and more powerful when the Aura Sphere is bigger.
For those who never touched Lucario (oh my!), he utilizes an Aura gimmick that increases his strength and power that is dependent on how much damage he has. But I don't main Lucario and really understand the character from the surface so if you want more information, click the following threads:
Smash Bros. Wiki - Lucario (SSBB)
SSBB: Lucario Sub-Forum
SSB4: Lucario Sub-Forum

It is evident that Lucario's Aura increases exponentially after being damaged and increases in speed and size. But how different is it compared to the Brawl Standard B Aura Sphere. Here is a picture to demonstrate the differences.

Comparison.

Because making it bigger wasn't enough, it looks like they also decided to make it fire a little higher up off the ground too.
Hell yes.
@Sunnysunny

I think it is obvious that the attack has increased in size and radius not to mention design. That Aura looks fantastic! However, has the Aura Sphere been buffed or has Lucario been buffed thus affecting the Aura Sphere? Judging from Sakurai's Friday message:

Sakurai said:
Pic of the day. A size comparison of Lucario's standard special attack, Aura Sphere, in its weakest and strongest states. The attack is faster and more powerful when the Aura Sphere is bigger.
Sakurai seems to allude to the fact that the Aura gimmick has been altered compared to Brawl. It is entirely possible that Lucario's Aura Sphere (and Lucario in general) has received a mid to high buff compared to Brawl. I went to the Lucario boards, both SSB4 and SSBB to see what they had to say. Here is what I found:

Well from what sakurai said he still needs damage, but I'm guessing he is going to be even more powerful at aura cap or he is going to be all around stronger.
@Gune

Considering he was specifically talking about the aura ability, I'm sure Sakurai meant that the aura damage boost is increased. That's my assumption, anyways.
@Enderman_Aura

It's good that he got that buff since now he can stay on the stage longer despite having to deal with the higher knockback potential.
@Aracnir

In addition, @Sunnysunny, a prevalent and active Lucario player, had this to say about the Aura buff is actually a subtle nerf...
I'd hope not
His kill power at low percent was already pretty bad. Making the difference in power even more extreme would cause match ups to become imbalanced. For example, against characters that actually do have nice reliable kill moves, it'd definitely be an uphill battle for the lucario player.

Same kinda goes for the buff that was given to him at high percent. Characters like peach that have trouble killing will have an even harder time against him. (Just using her as an example btw. She might actually get some kill power buffs in smash 4 for all I know)

I think a nerf would be unjustified. Despite being a step above most mid-tiers, it's still out of a Lucario players grasp to win a national. Maybe locals, yea, but most characters in top tier give him a tough time.

Mostly metaknight, icys, and snake.
but then again, top tier is basically decided by how decent you do against :metaknight:

Lets just say I hope in smash 4 they don't have another character that ran the metagame as much as MK.
According to the Lucario mains, this is indeed a buff compared from Brawl drawing examples from Sakurai's message as well as information regarding the next Pic of the Day.

Things Confirmed:
1) Lucario has his Neutral B Special Move: Aura Sphere
2) The speed and power of the attack is dependent on the Aura mechanic.
3) The Aura mechanic is tied to how much damage Lucario has.
4) The Aura Mechanic has been increased for SSB4.

Moving at ExtremeSpeeds!
02/04/14
Day#2: Tuesday

Yet again, another Lucario appeared; flying past with a blur of Aura! Lucario's Up B recovery move was confirmed. The move ExtremeSpeed has been confirmed to power up with Lucario's Aura increases. What does this mean? Well, judging from Sakurai's comment about Tuesday's Pic of the Day:

Sakurai said:
Pic of the day. When Lucario shoots out Aura from its hands to fly with ExtremeSpeed, you can control its flight direction. If Lucario's Aura is fully charged, it can fly extremely far, so be careful not to accidentally launch out of the area.
In Brawl, Lucario's Up B was independent of Lucario's Aura.
Smash Bros. Wiki said:
When used, Lucario stops for a brief moment, and then it rushes in the direction chosen. It is possible to change directions during the dash (where Lucario will appear to "bend" through the air), as well as being able to wall cling if it comes in contact with a wall, making it a very useful recovery move. However, ExtremeSpeed deals no damage, and as such, should only be used for either escaping attacks or recovery. Lucario has low knockback while using this move, and it has a large sweet spot, making ledge-grabbing easier. This enables Lucario to have a very good recovery move. Lucario's recovery is greater if there is a wall to cling to.
However, this indicates that Lucario's Aura gimmick in no way affects ExtremeSpeed in Brawl. However, with Tuesday's Pic of the Day:

It has been confirmed that in Super Smash Bros. 4, the distance traveled by ExtremeSpeed increases as Lucario's damage rises, which will make it a stronger recovery at damages where it's needed.
This indicates that, in fact, the Aura mechanism will greatly affect the ability for Lucario to recover which will either greatly help or hamper Lucario's recovery.

This does however open the possibility that the move gains less distance at low damage, meaning Lucario may become easier to gimp.
If you would like to read more about ExtremeSpeed, please redirect yourself to the link below:
http://www.ssbwiki.com/ExtremeSpeed

Meanwhile, here are what some users have to say about ExtremeSpeed:

I just want to say that the effect for Lucario's Extreme Speed is SO COOL!

The aura jet streams are super rad.

SUPER RAD!
@Brad-Rock

Can't get over how sexy this extreme speed looks!
@PikaJew

However, discussion came up about it becoming a damaging move.
Hopefully Sakurai will take notes from PM [Project Melee], or Pokemon for that matter and Extreme Speed will actually do damage.
@deadjames

really hyped that lucario is making a comeback (pun not intemded) i sure hope that extremespeed actually has a hitbox this time around
@IceDX

I'm hoping that this does damage...Would be like foxes side special, if you did it to the side. Another thing, WILL you be able to make this move go vertical completely. Heres hoping!
@S5565

Technically, according to Pokemon canon:
It is a physical Normal-type attack with 80 base power, 100% accuracy, and a +1 priority in Generation II-IV and a +2 priority in Generation V,
Meaning it is a physical attack that does damage yet the Smash Bros. variation does not. It would make sense for it to do damage so possibly with the new Aura buff, we could see this be included.
(Authors Note: Project Melee Lucario does do damage with ExtremeSpeed.

Another interesting note that despite Pokemon X/Y spelling out ExtremeSpeed with a space as such "Extreme Speed", Sakurai has kept it pre-X/Y with ExtremeSpeed. I highly doubt this has any significance but any thoughts on that?

Meanwhile, other types of discussion regarding the Aura buffing at the ExtremeSpeed move happened in the Lucario forum as well as the MiiVerse Daily Pic:

This was a nice way to see the difference in his aura, and
It'll be hard not to see when actually playing. Sakurai wasn't kidding when he said that he'll increase his aura output.

However I hope extreme speed does damage this time, especially considering it's about twice as powerful as quick attack, which does damage here.
@ Superyoshiom Superyoshiom

Extreme speed going Extremely far you say? Seems like edge guarding is becoming more of a non option against Lucario. The aura effects are freaking gorgeous kinds reminds me of P:M lucarios aura effect.
@Gune

So apparently Lucario's extreme speed distance is based on his damage?
I guess thats okay. Not like he's very likely to get thrown off the stage far enough to get gimped at early percents.

I wanna see just how far it goes at high percent though. Could be pretty damn hilarious. I just imagine him flying like, an entire smashville distance or something.
@Sunnysunny

This is awesome I hated extremespeed in brawl it was so hard to aim (or maybe I just suck). I guess you are just freely flying now, which may be a little broken but because it runs on aura now maybe not so much. It reminds me of the flying suit from galaxy
@Sonicguy726

Woo Lucario is gonna be fun.
@Xiivi

Most if not all believe that this new Aura mechanic will help with Lucario's recovery and ability to return to the stage when at a high percentage of damage but may hurt him at low percentages. Let us know what you think!

And a one @GoldenYuiitusin found a comparison in:
Am I the only one that finds it ironic that the Steel type Pokémon is flying like Iron Man?
Things confirmed on Tuesday
1) ExtremeSpeed is back as Lucario's recovery move
2) The speed and power of the move is dependent on the Aura factor.
3) It is controllable.

How to Train your Water/Dragon-type Spatial Dragon
02/05/14
Day #3: Wednesday

Okay I have new predictions now.

Wed: Lucario Pic

Thurs: Lucario Pic

Fri: Lucario Pic.
@Xaltis

Thankfully this was not the case as we got something entirely not Lucario related for Wednesday though he did have a cameo. Our first CONFIRMED PokeBall Pokemon was revealed and it's a Legendary. The Spatial Pokemon, Palkia returns to Smash in the form of a PokeBall Pokemon. This Water/Dragon-type Pokemon appeared in Generation IV Diamond and Pearl as the Pearl mascot. If you are unsure to who or what Palkia is, go over to Bulbagarden to read up on it. It short, it is a Legendary Pokemon that can control Space.

However, he appeared in Brawl on the Spear Pillar stage as a stage hazard.

After the first few seconds in battle, Dialga, Palkia, or Cresselia will show up in the background of the stage. The player can tell what Pokémon will appear by the tint of the stage; Dialga and Palkia appear in blue or pink tints, respectively, and Cresselia can appear in the blue tint in place of Dialga. The Pokémon will perform different attacks when they appear...
Palkia
Shoots a horizontal Hyper Beam that covers either the upper or lower level. It can be shielded.
Tilts the stage at up to a 30 degree angle (again, just an illusion).
Mirrors the stage (so that pressing right causes a character to appear to move to the left).
Rotates the stage at a 180 degree angle (so that gravity faces up and left is right).
Halves gravity (warps space) by using Spacial Rend.
Now, as hinted by sakurai's quote
Sakurai said:
Pic of the day. Palkia appeared in the Spear Pillar stage of the previous game…but now it's coming out of a Poké Ball?! Here's Palkia's signature move, Spacial Rend!
Palkia performs solely its signature move, Spacial Rend. What exactly is Spatial Rend?
Bulbagarden said:
The user tears the foe along with the space around it. This move has a high critical-hit ratio.
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Spacial_Rend

In Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Spacial Rend halves the gravity thus causing players to jump higher but fall slower. I believe it is safe to assume that this will carry on over to Palkia in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS.

Holy moley though Palkia. Dude he's huuuge. Spacial Rend looks also like potentially devastating move, perhaps it leaves an wall of space-rending energy that hurts a big notch if being hit?
@Young Horsetail

How exactly Spacial Rend will affect game play has yet to be seen but many hope that...
Spacial Rend better have a kicka** animation like Pokemon X and Y's Spacial Rend.
@-TAG-

Well, it is a Legendary and typically Legendaries have some pretty cool attacks (refrencing Lugia, Ho-Ho, Kyrogre, Groudon, etc)

But what does Palkia's reveal mean to Dialga appearing as a PokeBall Pokemon as well?

It seems quite logical to me that Palkia, Dialga, Zekrom, Reshiram, Yveltal and Xerneas will be Pokéball Pokémons, probably cutting a few of the older ones like the 2nd Gen and 3rd Gen ones to make room for the new guys.
@Wariofan1

I'm late, but woo! Palkia! I have a feeling that it confirms Dialga as a pokéball too.
@ FalKoopa FalKoopa

inb4 Dialga in Clock Tower
@MopedOfJustice

Diagla confirmed as a Pokeball Pokemon. Also, through Sakurai's comment and the obviousness of its being a Pokeball Mon, Spear Pillar is basically deconfirmed from returning as a Past Stage.
@Inawordyes

Most are assuming that A) Dialga will also appear as a PokeBall Pokemon and B) Spear Pillar will not return as a veteran stage.

What are your thoughts?

Things Confirmed on Wednesday:

1) Palkia is a new Pokeball Pokemon
2) It performs Spacial Rend.
3) Palkia is massive

The Grand Opening of the Official Character Discussion Thread
02/06/14
Day #3: Wednesday

Today was the grand opening of the Official Character Discussion Thread, a collective effort from the Smash 4 mods to provide forum members a positive and constructive place to discuss rosters and characters. Leading this was the moderator @ N3ON N3ON who was the first to open up the topic.

After the closure of the late Roster Prediction Discussion Thread, members were a bit lost in where to go.

Hi guys. Came here cause I'm not sure where else to go...can't believe the RPD thread was locked.
@Pacack

So since I have no idea where else to post this, I can't believe that the Roster Prediction thread was locked...
@ZeldaMaster

Most of the users that participated in the Roster Prediction Discussion Thread migrated to the Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS Social which is a place more welcoming towards off-topic'ness and meme humor.

However, last weekend, the Official Character Discussion Thread was posted but kept closed in order to members to understand the rules and guidelines set in part by the mods.

Reactions varied:

Well,still. Some of the new rules are kind of pushing down on us a little bit. Typing that with no offense or insult-like words against it.
@Arigarmy

Man, don't people come here to have fun?
:dizzy:
As long as I get my RPD back though, I'll be okay.
@ Louie G. Louie G.

Well, the new RDT looks boring because the old one became a wretched hive of stupidity and nonsense. I can only feel sympathy for the people who genuinely tried to make it a decent place for discussion.
@Frostwraith

Preparing for Armageddon the return of the RPDT.
@shinpichu

Some thought it was a positive step in helping make character discussion more positive while others thought it was a futile effort.

After the thread opened, discussion was began almost at once and it looked like the thread would do alright until it saw its first trouble maker. The user [name removed] trolled other members and was inflammatory in nature but was dealt with shortly after. Hours after the creation of the thread, it was evident that the moderators had the thread in its jaws like a Pit Bull on a meaty bone and refuse to let go.
Reactions towards the modding of the thread has been strangely silent in both threads.

What do you think about the OCDT? Is a step in the right or wrong direction? What would you like to see added or chance? Let your voice be heard through our Editorial section!

The Galaxy is Hiding under Rosalina's Gown? (Oh my!)
02/06/14
Day #4

Sorry, I had to use that video again for Sakurai's quote concerning Thursday's rather......suggestive Pic of the Day.

Pic of the day. It is said that the cosmos is beneath Rosalina's gown. This was actually featured briefly in her debut video.
I mean...really Sakurai? You know Smashfans are just going to take this up and run with it as far as they can!

As a tumblr user pointed out, "The Cosmos Beneath Her Gown" sounds like it could be the title to a really, really fancy erotic romance novel.
@SuperBrawler182

The heaven is literally located under Rosalina's dress.
@CardiganBoy

So many jokes to make.

Rosaline's dress, the final frontier. These are the voyages of the USS Smash Bros. To seek out new characters and new battle stages. To boldly go where no man has gone before.
@Master Rapier

Sakurai is revealing the origin of life... All this time we assumed we were created by higher beings or evolved from prehistoric animals... Turns out all was created underneath Rosalina's dress.
@The Real Gamer

Sakurai's comment on this picture was painful to read. Where the **** were his translators/proofreaders?
Miiverse has exploded with perverted comments.
@DakotaBonez

Yuuuuup....it did explode and I am sure the Admins were up to their necks in reports and busy deleting comments. I wouldn't be surprised if most of them are cursing Sakurai out for the needless work they have to go through.

Well....you get the picture what kind of comments this picture sprung up. However, it is good to see Sakurai paying attention to slight details that truly makes the characters shine.

Most of the Rosalina fans believe this to be her U-air attack but Sakurai never came out and said what kind it is so it's still unconfirmed that attack this is as well as what kind of damage/effect this galaxy.

@ThatWasPeachy

However, I find it interesting to note that this galaxy effect is not exclusive to under her gown but is also shown in her Side Smash attack.

So it is possible that the galaxy is not just restrained to being under her gown but she can really use the galaxy everywhere (inb4 the galaxy hides under her top...)

It is really a nice effect that kind adds something to the character and attributes to Sakurai's knack for detail. Plus, it gave fans something to make lewd jokes about.

Things Confirmed for Thursday:

1) Rosalina hides the galaxy under her gown.
2) Some of her attacks have a galaxy affect.
One Mother of a Tease
02/07/14
Day#5: Friday
Writers: Venus of the Desert Bloom

Continuing to tease us with pictures of Pyrosphere, today's pic just further drives that nail deeper into our hearts. This time was particulary evil because the update was not only on Pyrosphere but had a Metroid reveal on it.

Sakurai said:
Pic of the day. Housed within the Control Capsule! Protected by Rinkas! Eyeball armed with a Laser Brain Attack!! The massive Assist Trophy Mother Brain joins the collection!!
So....Mother Brain....on Pyrosphere....attacking Samus is totally not a tease. But it is pretty cool to see a new Assist Trophy and one that is Metroid.

Unless you don't know what Metroid and Mother Brain is; she is a recurring antagonist AI that controls the Space Pirates. She is cold and calculating and desires to bring true order to the universe by "resetting everything back to zero."

Her appearance in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS causes her, apparently, to fire of a massive purple beam that must do continuous damage. In fact, it has a name:
Laster Brain Attack and is her most strongest attack.

I love the idea of Mother Brain being a assist trophy. It kind of reminds me of when you were able to summon SNES!Andross and watch as he spits out blocks at the characters.

It would be even better if Ridley is able to summon his boss, like how Wolf is able to with Andross in Brawl.
@Armlesspuppeteer09

Some felt that this had some affect on Ridley but...

Mother Brain being AT =/= remotely anything in regards to Ridley.
Arguing otherwise would be foolish.
@GoldenYuiitusin

Regardless, we have a new assist trophy from Metroid and one that has been tormenting Samus for most of her life.

Things confirmed on Friday:

1) Mother Brain is an Assist Trophy.

Overview
Writers:

This week was pretty calm aside from the upskirt jokes and Lucario rage. We did however get a PokeBall reveal and an Assist Trophy reveal. Overall though, a lot of Lucario and Rosalina so some fans and speculators got rather grumpy about it. All in all, a decent week with some Lucario and Rosalina info, Palkia as a PokeBall Pokemon, and Mother Brain as an Assist Trophy. Plus, the new Official Character Discussion Thread is now open to head over there to discuss characters.

Editorials
I would like to take the time to introduce the Editorial section. What is the Editorial section? I will open up the last portion the Week in Review for people to answer the questions asked throughout the articles. What is your opinion of the week? Give me your thoughts and opinions on Smash 4's development and I will publish them! Please, PM only for the Editorial. I will be putting a limit of 10 entries so it is a first come, first serve basis. I will announce when they close.

This is Venus of the Desert Bloom, reporting live from Smashboards.

Stay classy, Smashboards.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
The Week in Review Interview
Today's Guest: @ N3ON N3ON

For our next interview, I would like to bring our lovely Harley Quinn moderator, @ N3ON N3ON . She was one of the three moderators appointed in July along with myself and @ FalKoopa FalKoopa . N3ON is a prolific poster who is active in the Official Character Discussion Thread, Rumors and Leak Thread, and is the proud owner of the Isaac Support Thread! She has done an amazing job heading the newly created Official Character Discussion Thread and is determined to steer it in the right direction. Aside from the Harley Quinn avy, what do we know about her besides the fact that she does not clown around when it comes to moderating? Let's take a look!

1) How long have you been a member on Smashboards? How long have you been a moderator of the Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS Discussion Forums?
I have been a member on SmashBoards for six years... wait, that can't be right. Oh good now I feel old. :laugh:

Anyway, I lurked on many sites pre-Brawl, and posted on a few. SmashBoards was one of them, and slightly before the game released I made an account. Once the Brawl news started dying down I largely left the scene, however with the announcement of Smash Bros 4 I would return three years later to lurk some more and eventually start posting again.

I have now been a Moderator for around half a year, and have developed a pretty good understanding of how to use my powers without making it obvious I'm abusing them. :troll:

2) What is your favorite part of the job? What is your least favorite part?
Banning people is my favourite of course!
Seriously though, I became a mod to help bring order to the forums, which I was aware, having seen the Brawl forums pre-release, would soon starting getting a bit out of hand without proper enforcement. It may not always be the most fun to be the grumpy cop, especially since in real life I'm not overly fond of grumpy cops, but now I realize the necessity of them. I like being able to help maintain some level of quality (or at least try), as well as help users who might have problems or concerns.

That said, I'm not overly fond of reprimanding the same users and the same threads of the same problems over and over. One would hope they would be able to learn a bit better without the implementation of more drastic actions.

3) Has Smashboards improved since you first joined?
Tricky question. Since almost anything is an improvement compared to the pre-Brawl days... I suppose so. But there's still much improvement to be had.

4) Will you be getting Super Smash Bros. for Wii U or 3DS?
Yes. :troll:

5) Counting Super Smash Bros for Wii U/3DS, who is your favorite character in the entire franchise?
Another tricky question. Or at least a multi-faceted one. My favourite character in Smash to date is the ever-fabulous Marthy Marth, however the character I was most wanting to see included (who actually has been included) is Diddy Kong, who might also be my favourite of the playable characters outside of Smash. The character whose inclusion most excited me, and killed many sites in the process, was Sonic.

I think we all know who would be my favourite character should we get him though. :smirk:

6) When was the first time you played a Smash game? Can you recall your feelings or what you were doing at the time?
The first time I played a Smash game was in that brief period between 64 and Melee, so obviously my first game was the original. If I remember correctly my older brothers had recently obtained the game (I rarely got a say in which games the family got), and like normal, weren't letting me play it until they had both thoroughly exhausted it. Yes, even though it was four-players. Eventually they became bored always fighting each other and thought it would be fun to repeatedly kill their confused novice kid sister instead.

My connection to the game was pretty strong even from when I was only "allowed" to watch them play. It helped that, believe it or not, I was previously familiar with all the characters included (we had a pretty sizable game collection), though I didn't remember them all immediately. I suppose that's what got me through repeated losses until I was good enough to beat them. :laugh:

Unfortunately I can't remember the first character I played as.

7) Would it be correct to say that Isaac is your most wanted character for Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS? Why is he your most wanted and how would you like to see him implemented? (move sets, game play, etc.)
Well... he is my most want character with an actual shot. 10-year-old me won't let the dream of Banjo in Smash die, as impossible as it might be. So technically Banjo is my most wanted, but he's also pretty much my least expected.

But yes, of characters that haven't been left to rot and die (or have their series dragged through the dirt) by Microsoft, Isaac is my most wanted, who is my most wanted for a multitude or reasons. Of series not included in Smash (and not impossible to include) Golden Sun is my favourite, 3rd parties and all included. In fact Golden Sun is probably one of, if not my favourite series even counting the series already included. I think it would be wonderful to finally see content from GS expanded past an AT and a song, it's such a diverse and interesting series, from the music, to the setting, and all those things that could be expressively fleshed out in Smash Bros (in the prettiest of HD). Although not entirely surprising GS hasn't yet received a character with the content to follow, it is disappointing. And even with his, I must admit, generic personality (though less so in later games), Isaac is one of my two favourite GS characters, and the only one with a chance. I'm a big fan of his design (Matthew's is good too though), and his potential is crazy; both because it's so vast and because there's nothing like it already on the roster or among the other candidates.

I suppose that leads into the next part. I think most people view Isaac as a relatively grounded character (him being a Ground Pokemon and all ;)) who employs a mix of magic and swordplay. While that's all good, it would still diversify him from the other characters, there's so much potential to go beyond that. While I personally would like to see all key aspects of his abilities represented, including Djinn and weapon Unleash effects, and of course a Summon as a Final Smash, as long as the moveset heavily revolves around Psynergy with some sword attacks thrown in, it will still be a fair representation of him, considering the diversity of the Psynergy Isaac is capable of, including magic from all four elements (not to mention it's probably the most likely outcome). Though the Summon Final Smash is a must (Judgment being the prime choice).

Oh and that Hand totally needs to be involved in Isaac's grabs and throws.

Plus I'd be lying if I said the attention Isaac's inclusion would bring back to GS would be great, as that series really deserves to continue.

8) What stages would you like to see included in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS? Past stages included?
Even if it's unlikely I'm never going to give up on the hope we get Fourside back. I love that stage. Though I'd also settle for Moonside. Actually I'd prefer it. So neony...

In addition to that and an obvious Golden Sun stage (Venus Lighthouse plz), I'd also love to get a Xenoblade stage, or at least one from X. That's another series that needs its content spread all over Smash. And no matter what people think of the game, and the character introduced in it... Sauria would undoubtedly make a pretty fantastic stage.

Plus we all know Bowser's Castle is way overdue.

9) The Stage Builder and Online gameplay was a step in the right direction but some believe they were lacking. What is one thing you would like to see Sakurai improve in the name Smash game? (besides the roster.)
I think the utmost priority of the game should be the core of it: the gameplay. Not to say it's needs drastic changing, the model is good, it just needs perfecting, especially coming off of Brawl. I think once the gameplay is inarguably solid, then the extraneous modes can be dealt with, like Adventure, Stage Builder, and the collectibles.

That said, the modes that promote the direct core of Smash, like online, vs., and the development of the stages should also receive a bulk of the attention. Well... maybe not the bulk, but like I said, they should be the priority.

Unfortunately I believe Sakurai has a bit of a different view, he seems to promote expanding the series (which ofc is good to an extent - we still need new characters and stages) over perfecting what is already there.

10) If you could describe Super Smash Bros. with one word, what would it be?
M&SG took the word I wanted to use. :glare:

I'll go with... FANGASMIC

11) Where did your username come from?
Like any good magpie knows, shiny stuff is awesome. And neon is much too shiny and colourful and bright and super artificial looking, all the stuff which I like. :colorful:

Also being called Neon is boring, not to mention probably already taken. Plus in my head I'm still stuck in the day when 1337 was cool. :laugh:

12) If you could visit any country; where would you go?
Excluding the places I've already been, I'd very much like to go to Australia and steal me a koala. :grin:

13) What is your favorite food and why?
Sushi is the obligatory choice of west coast Japanese hipsters.
Too bad it's so mainstream now. :smirk:

14) Please tell us one thing about yourself that we may not know?
I've been inside Nintendo HQ. Shh!

15) N3ON will be providing her viewpoints on next weeks updates so check back to see them!

Thank you so much N3ON! Let's give her a hand of applause. I must say that it is great to be able to know something a little more about the moderators to help keep this place clean and fun as well as read a little bit more about themselves! Next week, I will be interviewing one of the largest Toon Link fans out there, @ FalKoopa FalKoopa ! Stay tuned for next week!

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Villager
Author: @ Sarki Soliloquy Sarki Soliloquy

Last week, I covered the gameplay aspects of the first newcomer to Super Smash Brothers for Wii U/3DS, the Villager from Animal Crossing. While there’s a bit more left to cover on that side, this week we shall delve into his characteristic side.

But before we get into that, I would like to correct some placements of moves within my moveset interpretation from last week. This is due to additional details noticed in the discussion of last week’s issue.
Fountain Firework

@ Substitution Substitution
Honestly, I see the fireworks being more on an up-smash. Just feels too powerful to be an up-tilt...
@ AEMehr AEMehr
Oh, the Villager write-up is missing the actual Up tilt. Which is Villager flailing a stick above his head. The Fireworks are definitely his Up Smash.
@NintendoKnight
Actually, Villager crouches down before using the Fireworks.
After reconsidering the range and perceived power of the attack, I would say it would be more fitting as either an Up Smash or Down Smash instead of an Up Tilt. I guess where Sakurai was going on in his monologue made me think of the attack in a certain way.

As you can see in the GIF above, Villager crouches before blasting the fireworks behind him. This supports the theory of it being a Down Smash, as characters must hold down the control stick to initiate any Down moves. This may also be part of the animation as if it were the start-up frames.

In that case, my proposed Party Popper could be swapped as an Up Tilt or the Shovel could be switched to a Down Smash maybe with the option to dig on both sides requiring a second input. That Shovel seems to be in similar moment to Link, Marth, Ike, and Pit’s Down Smashes, so this notion may be questionable.

Whew! Now that’s out of the way. Let’s move on to highlighting the rest of the Villager!

Projective Match-ups

With Villager being measured against a roster that contains up to 22 confirmed characters at this point with a 30-45 estimate roster total, he has much competition for being the most effective character in the game. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS has seen some character and mechanics overhauls, as well as increased emphasis on balance. With this new direction in gameplay, will Villager take out some of Brawl’s most competitively-viable characters from the higher tiers on the ladder? Or will he be busted to the bottom round?

Though analyzing the Villager’s gameplay and attributes, I’ve created summaries of how much of an advantage he would have against the other characters. Of course, the game is still in development
Pros & Cons:

+Can take advantage of some of the strongest projectiles in the game
+Good combo and KO setups
+Projectiles and tree could space well
-Could be floaty
-Most strong attacks are animation heavy
-Limited recovery with gimp susceptibility

Mario: Mario doesn’t appear to be threatening. He seems to be matched with Villager’s range and recovery options. His Super Cape can reflect any heavy hitting projectiles the Villager might throw at him, backfiring his sabotage. Fireball won’t be much use Collecting maybe save for getting brief hitstun for grapple or combo setups. Mario could efficiently KO Villager when at high damages with an Up Smash or Down Smash and lead him to a KO with his Forward Air, although Mario should be tweaked to have less lag between frames for comboing moves and needs a power buff with most of his attacks. This is noteworthy considering Villager’s kill moves take a lot of time and baiting to pull off.
Luigi: Luigi only stands out in specials from his brother. Perhaps he will have better ground control and can travel around better with his Luigi Tornado and traction. The Luigi Tornado, along with his Luigi Missile, seem to have enough speed and priority over most of Villager’s attacks. His diverse recovery options will make him keep coming back at the Villager. But Villager can always keep distance with Slingshot and Lloid Rockets, only depending on how Lloid Rocket maneuvers with charge, it could lag behind certain speeds Luigi can achieve. Not to mention Raise Tree can block horizontal approaches and chopping it down with certain approaches could leave not enough time for Luigi to react for a KO.
Peach: Peach’s aerial control on ground or in air will keep the Villager on guard. Once she pushes him back enough, a crown Smash attack would finish him off or at least knock him far back. Her Peach Bomb has a slow startup window. Yet she can move across to different parts of the stage. Making contact with it would only push the Villager back farther. The least she’ll have to worry about are some slow, yet harsh Bowling Balls and maybe a conveniently placed Tree to lock her in a certain area. She can whip out Toad to defend against any maneuvers or attacks he launches her way, especially considering most of his attacks look moderately fast. Villager will be able to take care of her turnips though and may be clever enough to interrupt the momentum of a turnip juggle combo.
Bowser: Bowser is a physical powerhouse and has been given increased emphasis on attack power and speed unlike previous games. This may make Bowser a bit more speedy against the Villager. Additionally, Bowser’s speed and hard attacks will limit Villager in close-quarters. He also doesn’t have a projectile that the Villager can repel him with via Collect either, unless his Fire Breath could be harnessed. Bowser may be able to brush off some of his more sturdier attacks such as the Tree at moderate damages, but may be more susceptible them along with quicker attacks as he takes more damage.
Rosalina & Luma: Rosalina’s functionalities with her Lumas along with the range and speed of some of her attacks can knockback any approach the Villager tries to make. Luma can close in on any gaps and can poke with Star Bits, especially gimping his Balloon Helmet recovery. Villager may try to met this with an approach or poke by Lloid, although her Gravitational Pull may deflect it to the Villager. If Villager can kill the Luma, he could have some openings against Rosalina. It would be hilarious of Villager could Collect Luma through its dash attack or Luma Shoot and perhaps handicap Rosalina through one stock. Her Launch Star looks like it can overshoot really easily with a freefalling effect, making it easy for the Villager to strike her down. Her light weight combined with her unusual height for her weight class make her a rather squishy target.
Donkey Kong: Donkey Kong may not be one Bowser levels of deadliness, but his sturdiness, melee range, and attack power could be something that could limit the Villager’s close-up options. A fully charged Kong Punch might have enough power to destroy a tree or knock him far back, which are one shot moves that characters like Bowser can‘t pressure with. His melee attack priority may also contribute to how much the Villager can pressure him.
Link: Link’s attacks, while powerful or moderately powerful, may not be enough to keep up with the Villager. He provides a good variety of attacks to limit his own approach with Villager’s Collect. Not to say Link can’t use his shield for defense or trick the approach of a bomb or arrow with a Gale Boomerang. However, Link has the efficiency and arsenal of projectiles to keep Villager pressured at range. Effective use of his Gale Boomerang or the throwing of his Bomb could put explosives and other hard projectiles right in Villager’s path, which leaves his standing up to his Collect.
Zelda: Zelda has the opportunity to reverse Villager’s ranged game with Naryu’s Shield. The extreme range and speed of Din’s Fire can zone the Villager out, leaving him to set alternate directions to attack her. Although if they can be Collected, Zelda’s going to have some trouble defending against him. If the Phantom is an attack of Zelda’s (she’s been shown doing a special pose for it), it could chase the Villager away from her, giving her a chance to sustain herself or pressure him.
Toon Link: Toon Link is basically the same as Link, only faster, lighter, and with some attack attributes to differentiate him from his Twilight Princess incarnation. This should keep him closer to the Villager stat wise and perhaps could find Link’s typical combos and approaches more accessible by his speed alone. Otherwise, any other of Link’s items and defensive options against them would be the same with Toon Link.
Kirby: Kirby shouldn’t be too hard for the Villager to deal with due to his setups and ground options. Kirby has a very predictable approach with Final Cutter and his floaty recover can be taken advantage of. Villager could easily fend off a fierce Forward Smash or Dash with some of his tilts of make it harder to get in with his Tree. As with floaty characters, he may want to heed Kirby’s Hammer and his aerial options, as they could set up KOs even at the safest moments. Kirby’s Inhale would give him the Collect, meaning that certain items or other character projectiles are a matter of a duel.
King Dedede: King Dedede is another heavyweight, hard-hitting fighter. This is made even more potent with the range he can get on many of his aerials and Forward Smash. His hammer has the priority to cancel out a lot of Villager’s attacks. Though they are rather clunky and leave room for openings. King Dedede will be a nightmare while the Villager is navigating with the Balloon Helmet as his Up Special jump should instantly pop his balloons. Villager may be able to steal a Waddle Dee, Waddle Doo, or even a Gordo and defend against Dedede’s ranged pressure. Villager has a speed advantage against Dedede, where he can close in and cancel some more devastating attacks.
Pikachu: Pikachu has very agile melee attacks and can pressure the Villager with diagonal and ground Thunder Jolts. With the aid of Forward Airs and Down Smashes, Pikachu would be able to catch him off-guard as he might try to come in with clunky dashes and tilts. Pikachu’s Thunder Shock will serious hurt Villager in the air and shut down his recovery options more than other characters. A good Collecting of the Thunder Jolts may reverse the effectiveness of Pikachu’s range, but may distract him.
Lucario: Lucario’s close ranged abilities will deny a lot of opportunities for advancement for the Villager. With his buffed Aura effect, his attacks should put more pressure on the Villager at high damage as he tries to find the right recovery back from Lucario’s now speedy advances with a chargeable ExtremeSpeed. A good-timed Double Team would allow Lucario to gain instant access to Villager’s range and begin comboing him. His Aura Ball stands out as an attractive tool for the Villager to take advantage of via Collect. Like Samus’s full Energy Shot, a full Aura Ball would travel fast enough and have the proper knockback to KO Lucario at high damage. With lesser charges of the Aura Ball used for keepaway, constant Villager pockets would cancel each successive projectile. Whether this scales with Lucario’s Aura or not remains to be observed.
Samus: Samus’s speed has apparently been adjusted to be quicker. While she’s historically had clunky attacks and speed, attacks such as Forward Air could have more priority than whatever Villager throws at her. Her projectile game looks trumped with Villager’s Collect and his heavier projectiles such as Lloid. Her full Charge Shot could prove deadly when in Villager’s hands, as it’s quick and knocks back hard. However, Samus has enough missiles and charge shots to pressure Villager even as he limits them.
Fox: Fox has historically been a very solid and agile melee attacker with the ability to chip high damage in short bursts. Fox Flash will pressure Villager on the ground while his Laser Blaster is so quick that not even Collect could be sufficient enough to repel the shots unless he changes his approach. Fire Fox may be a bit manageable to deny recovery with its moderate charge animation, but new ledge mechanics may make this a risky bargain for the Villager to deal with when he has to worry about ledge control with limited defensive options. Although Bowling Ball may say otherwise if far enough. Otherwise, both Fox Fire and Fox Flash look like they’ll assault Villager from many directions even with his maneuvers.
Pit: Pit’s aerial game makes him look like he can control more space against the Villager in the air. Most of the Villager’s attacks we’ve seen look very ground reliant, but that may change. When limited past a glide and his 6 jumps, he can capitalize on a Power of Light or a freefall especially towards edges. Additionally, a lot of Pit’s Smashes, tilts, and his Upperdash Arm look like they can assist in approach to open up more options for him. Perhaps Villager will be able to keep up with Pit’s ranged options and arrow spam tactics by collecting and directing the Light Arrows into another, cancelling them out. He may also throw the arrow in a direction to throw Pit off and open room for additional attacks.
Marth: Marth, being a high priority melee fighter with superior range, can push Villager back with the range of his Forward Smashes, Shield Breaker, and Dancing Blade. Marth has no projectiles to supply the Villager either. But that could serve as a vulnerability to Villager’s Lloid Rockets and Bowling Balls. Given Villager’s slow, but heavy moves, it’s a matter of how Marth approaches him or whether he can anticipate an attack and meet with a Counter. Along with that, he can KO at moderately low percentages and recover with his Dancing Blade and Shield Breaker. Villager should look for any misdirected Smashes or tilts, as well as missed Dolphin Slashes when he’s on the wrong side and the animation cooldowns kick in to capitalize on Marth vulnerabilities.
Pikmin & Olimar: Olimar was pretty good at setting up fierce attacks that cover space well and have some good knockback, great range, and priority. He should expend his Pikmin wisely, as they hit hard with Smash attacks and travel in a downward arc, having them too far away can make the Villager destroy them. In particular, the Purple Pikmin is valuable for the damage and defense-breaking affects it has when harnessed. Villager can probably collect one Pikmin out of his set of three, which may serve against Olimar, but would need to be really crafty how quickly to kill the Pikmin to make him run on efficiency.
Sonic: Sonic’s ground speed and quick attacks should be something for Villager to contend with, especially as a lot of his reliable moves are animation heavy and Sonic can get around anything he tries to set up with a few aerials, jumps, or a Spring Jump. His Homing Charge and Down Air dropkick can close in on the Villager. Not to mention Sonic has some great combos that the Villager will have a hard time dealing with.
Villager: There’s really not much to say about this other than it’s going to be decisive on the factor of skill.
Mega Man: Mega Man, Villager’s gonna have fun with you! The variety of projectiles looks astounding for a lot of Collect setups. Although, the angle of the Hard Knuckle and Air Shooter look like they have to be Collected at an extremely precise position at the risk of being in the path of these hard-hitting attacks. Mega Buster looks as useless as Fox’s Laser Blaster. But if the Charge Shot can be taken, that’s a killing move the Villager can use. Mega Man’s recovery looks just as predictable as the Villager’s. But it’s not to say that he can do a lot more damage when he gimps his Balloon Helmet and kites him with melee and a some Metal Blades, Leaf Shields, Crash Bombs, or Hard Knuckles to shut him up. His Tornado Spin also looks like it’ll keep Villager busy on the ground if he isn‘t hiding behind his Tree.
Wii Fit Trainer: Wii Fit Trainer looks very reliant on her close-up attacks. They look like the have good range for pokes and execute rather quickly. Her only projectile is her soccer ball, which is said to have high damage, but can be hijacked, deflected, and possibly Collected. Villager can pressure her with his ranged options. Wii Fit Trainer looks to have little to no get-arounds from projectiles besides the slick, upward Hoola Hoops which may end up making her freefall and give more attack space to the Villager. Her approaches to make the most out of her melee attacks and trump Villager’s range are also questionable.

Taunts

Up Taunt - Twig: Villager takes out the twig from a tree and twirls it in the air twice. Some say this is his Up Tilt. But the way it’s demonstrated in the Developer Direct. make it out to be a taunt. Whether his is harmful like Luigi’s Side Taunt remains to be seen.

While never discriminately using a twig in the main games, the twig appears to be off the branch of a full grown sapling as it has similar owe and bark patterns.

Side Taunt - Brewster’s Coffee: Villager takes out a plastic cup of coffee from The Roost, taking two sips with a quaffing sound for each.
In Wild World, one of the new shops was the café in the bottom floor of the museum, The Roost. Brewster the pigeon barista would prepare you a cup of coffee for 200 Bells. The more coffee you drink, Brewster’s dialogues would change as he grew closer to you. This would peak when you have the option to order ‘pigeon milk’ in your drink at his request. In City Folk, you are able to store Gyroids with him as a collection. In New Leaf, The Roost gets a big overhaul. It returns this time as an independent community project. Unlocking these after certain numbers of drinks, he will give you the option to work for him, the option to order coffee to go, and giving you special clothes and furniture with a café theme, and even Gyroids modeled after him!

Down Taunt - Mischief: Villager bends his head, putting his hand against his face in a cheeky manner as he gives a sadistic glare. A distorted sound plays as a purple shade goes across his face with a yellow twinkle by his eye.
Emotes were exclusive to animal villagers in games before Wild World. Dr. Shrunk, an axolotl comedian, would occasionally visit town to teach the player emotes, in which they can keep four at a time. In City Folk, Dr. Shrunk appears in The Marquee, where players would pay to see him put on a show titled tentatively with the name of the emote. In New Leaf, Dr. Shrunk runs Club LOL, a community project that can be built on Main Street. Giving Dr. Shrunk a snack would make him tell a joke that would give you one emote in the full list. The final joke will give you a special emote, the Shrunk Funk Shuffle.

Action Poses

Idle: Villager slowly waves his arms back and forth. After a few seconds, he taps the ground with one foot while putting his hand to his chin inquisitively. He returns to waving his arms back and forth. After a few seconds, he pumps his hand against his face twice. Repeat from beginning.

Throughout the Animal Crossing series, the player’s character does this when idle. Wild World introduced accessing the inventory in real time as opposed to pausing, which is where his first alternative idle animation comes from.

Stun: Villager has a shocked expression on his face, twirling his head around. As it reclines forward, it stutters slightly.
Sleep: Villager yawns before dozing off while standing. Bubble float out of his mouth with eyes closes. This is a reference to the Yawn and Drowsy emotes introduced in Wild World. The animation of each emote would not be complete, but transition smoothly into each other.
Sidestep: Villager drops to the ground and rolls over. He then rises himself back up by his feet. This is a reference to the animation for rolling on and off beds in the Animal Crossing series.
Swim: Villager waves his hands in and outward motion, wading his head and upper body afloat. This is a reference to the wading animation when idle or slowly moving in the water when wearing a wet suit.
Near Drown: Villager has a shocked expression as he flails his arms overhead.
Battering Attack: Villager swings his battering item with two hands, forward to down. This move is short ranged even when charged.
Item Pick Up: Villager holds an item in his hand.
Item Throw: Villager does an underhand toss as if he is dropping furniture in an interior room.
Heavy Item Pick Up: Villager holds up the heavy object with his hands overhead.
Heavy Item Throw: Villager pushes his hands forward, throwing the item.

Fanfare & Audio

Victory Theme: The Wild World/City Folk Default Town Tune, but remixed with stylistic instruments such as acoustic guitar, accordion, steel drum, synth, piano, and wooden bells. The tempo would presumably be slightly slower to accent certain instrument sections and to dramatize the tone.

Town tunes are 16-note jingles that can be edited into any arrangement. The notes go through A-E in high and low pitch along with a random, silence, and extend note. The jingle plays whenever you open doors, talk to other characters, or by the bell when the hour changes.

Victory Pose 1: Villager wavers his hand before pumping his fist, holding it in the air with a surprised face with an agape mouth and closed eyes.
Victory Pose 2: Villager turns around with his hands on his sides. He slowly reclines back, close eyes and taking a breath before bobbing back with a prideful, smiling leer.
Victory Pose 3: Villager runs in from the side of the screen, skidding as he turns in the other direction only to trip when he goes forward. He then gets up and walks forward before rubbing his cheek with squinting eyes and an agape smile.
KO Sound: A painful sounding blurb of the human Animalese voice.
Star KO Sound: An elongated human Animalese scream that fades within seconds before KO.
Screen KO Sound: The painful sounding blurb of human Animalese, only cut within a second.
Crowd Chant: “Vill-ag-er!”

Other

Kirby Hat:

The Viking-esque horned hat the male Villagers wear from Dobutsu no Mori to Animal Crossing. Unlike in the above picture, the pattern on the hat will be that of the No. 1 shirt to fit with the Villager’s default clothing.

Stock Icon:

Series Icon:

The iconic furniture leaf appears in all games across the Animal Crossing series, reflecting the atmosphere of nature within the games. However, the leaf most notable appears as the inventory icon for all furniture. When you empty a piece of furniture from your pockets when within owned property, the leaf would land on the floor in a puff cloud and transform into whatever piece of furniture it is. Allegedly, the leaf correlates with a Japanese folktale about tanookis magically turning items into leafs, although the origin of the story cannot be traced. Considering Tom Nook, a tanooki, sells furniture in his shop daily, this reference also correlates with him.

Alt Costumes

Villager’s standard appearance is taken from the Wild World/City Folk line of games, as the body structure is stubbier and shorter compared to New Leaf as well as Wild World being the first to introduce hair. The version of the No. 1 shirt he’s wearing is closer to that of Dobutsu no Mori to Animal Crossing, as it got a drastic redesign in Wild World.

In Wild World, if you answer “Me, too.” “I’m moving out.” and “Maybe…” to Kapp’n questionnaire when starting your character file, you will start with the face and hair shown in the default color.

Shirts in order:

Default male - No. 1 shirt
Alt 1 male - Four-ball tee
Alt 2 male - Jungle camo tee
Alt 3 male - Flame tee
Alt 4 male - BB tee
Alt 5 male - MVP shirt
Alt 6 male - Blue tie-dye tee
Alt 7 male - Paw tee

True to the nature of his games, there would be more variety in changing his face, shirt, and hairstyle as his alt colors. This is something none of the characters ever in the Smash series have done as alt colors. These presets are the ones found in Animal Crossing: Wild World.

Villager’s alt costumes should be in a similar manner to Wario in the sense that both have many recolors and to Wii Fit Trainer’s as her character is more of an indiscriminate identity and has been shown off as a male too. The Villager fits (no pun intended) that category in terms of identity. It would feel pretty lazy not to have female models represent the other side of the Villager’s character. Along with that, make the Animalese blurbs female.

The first model shown should be considered the female default, as the eye style is very similar and their questionnaire responses match except in gender. However, the second model has been featured with the male default on the cover of City Folk and some other promotional art. Sakurai and his team’s call here.

Shirts in order:

Default female - Citrus gingham dress
Alt 1 female - Bold check tee
Alt 2 female - Daisy tee
Alt 3 female - Polka-dot dress
Alt 4 female - Turnip dress
Alt 5 female - Mint gingham dress
Alt 6 female - Rugby tee
Alt 7 female - Lime dress

Given the version of Animal Crossing the Villager takes from, keep in mind all females will wear their shirts with a skirt attached to it. New Leaf introduced interchangeable pants, tees, skirts, dresses, socks, and shoes.
BONUS! - How to Dress like Villager in New Leaf:

*FACE WILL NOT BE ACCURATE UNLESS YOU ANSWERED THE FOLLOWING RESPONSES DURING THE CHARACTER CREATION QUESTIONNAIRE WHEN STARTING YOUR CHARACTER’S FILE*

“Isn’t it cool?”
“I’ve never been there.”
“I’m moving.”
“I’ll get a place there.”

Clothes to Buy:

Blue sneakers - 480 Bells, available at Kicks

Villager is seen wearing green socks unattainable as a clothing item. Your choose of socks is optional. The first choice is closer to the nostalgic look of the Gamecube games.

Green stripped-socks - 160 Bells, available at Kicks
Gray socks - 160 Bells, available a Kicks

Patterns to Make:

You will have to make a pattern at Able Sisters for 350 Bells. Make it a short-sleeved shirt. You have to draw a bigger, centered version on the No. 1 shirt, as the version of it used in New Leaf is long sleeved and configures a shrinked version of the 1 over the right breast instead of front and back center. I used this as a reference. Once you drew this, copy it onto the back of your shirt. Make the sleeve patterns solid red.

Put on a dress or a pattern configured to be worn as a dress. This will automatically remove any pants you’re wearing. Then put on the No. 1 shirt you made. You will automatically have the Villager’s grey shorts on.

Cosmetics:

Hair style - Set slider just before Formal at the bottom. Answer “I’m very serious!” and “Fight and overcome!” Under Natural, set the slider to 25%, which is two up from center.
Eye color - Pitch black

Want to see my results composing the costume? Just look at these screenshots snapped right in my New Leaf town.

A true, dignified warrior pose.

Front view (top), back view (bottom)

A mysterious suspect has been spotted in Okamota. Residents are advised to limit their time outside, especially without company. Do not engage the suspect as he is considered armed and dangerous. Instead, get to a safe distance and report your sighting to Officer Copper.

In conclusion, Villager transcends Sakurai’s doubts of him working well in Smash Bros. by bringing along his hammerspace arsenal of tools and items throughout the Animal Crossing series. There’s so much potential for his moves and Final Smash we are yet to see too. Animal Crossing, like Kirby and Pokemon in my younger years, is one of my top video game franchises and to see the representative who would most faithfully represent the series is well deserved. Not someone wonky and marginal like Tom Nook. Nor someone who works better as an Assist Trophy like Mr. Resetti. Hell, not even one of the popular animal villagers like Rosie or Bob the cats! Villager reflects the premise and abilities of his games with more faith than any other character from Animal Crossing and its representation already feel complete with him alone. Villager, without a doubt, will be the first character I pick up and play immediately when I start my first SSB4 match ever. I look forward to putting him in action and maining him early.

There you have it. The first analysis of one of the newcomers for Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS! From satire to investigative reporting, I’ve delved in journalism before and it feels so satisfying contributing to the community in this manner. Might as well hand the torch over to the next writer for the Mega Man analysis that will soon follow. It’ll be interesting to hear there incites on the newest 3rd party addition to the cast. Maybe I’ll write for the Week in Review in the future. But until then, this is Captain Hotcakes, signing out! Keep on Smashing and see you around the forums, my Smash brethern!​

Last edited:

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
But Sarki Soliloquy Sarki Soliloquy , Villager's down tilt has to be the weed pulling. s:
Not to mention that the Shovel goes both sides (Unlike any down tilt ever down before), has been shown to be chargeable, and the sound effect made while doing to sounds like a Smash attack.

Oh and him crouching before doing the Fireworks move shouldn't mean much. Since the C-Stick, or in this game's case the right control stick, allows easing execution of Smash attacks (If the Classic Controller's control scheme is anything to go by).

Again, a nice read! Very informative.

Last edited:

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Godsdammit, I can be inconsistent when it comes to the conservation of detail in my previous article. Probably meant to say Shovel was Down Smash while writing. :s

I'm personally in favor of Fountain Firework being an Up Smash and Shovel being a Down Smash.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Though here's what I ask.
Honestly, the stick looks more like an Up-tilt.
Especially when you take this into consideration:

Not to mention during the direct, Sakurai was also showing off the other tilts. So take that into consideration.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I don't even know why people still think that the following screenshot is Rosalina's upward aerial. It looks way more like a forward aerial, since it's too low-angled to hit anyone from straight above.

Anyway, two Lucario pics + Palkia + Rosalina's cosmic dress + Mother Brain, equals a rather interesting week.

Now, judging by the way that the newcomer articles will be handled, it's not going to be until March 7 that it'll be time for me to start covering Rosalina's article. In other words...

2/10 - 2/14: Mega Man Part 1
2/17 - 2/21: Mega Man Part 2
2/24 - 2/28: Wii Fit Trainer Part 1
3/3 - 3/7: Wii Fit Trainer Part 2

Hopefully before that time comes, we might get more screenshots of her that may prove to be useful.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
A funny thought, but do you think it's possible for Villager to grab and store Olimar's pikmin? It would make him a hard counter though.

This was an interesting week. We got a good amount of new info about Lucario, a pokéball reveal along with a Pyrosphere update. Looking forward to next week.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Two weeks of a newcomer? Looks like I have a lot of work ahead of me analyzing Mega Man. :laugh:

Not a bad week. We all knew Aura Sphere would get a pic at some point, the ExtremeSpeed buff was unexpected, Rosalina was meh but mostly because we already saw the attack in action, Palkia and Mother Brain are definitely this week's highlights.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
That Mother Brain pic was quite the fake out for me. I was so sure that she'd be the Pyrosphere hazard :/

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Mother Brain was pretty much a surprise.

I don't even know why people still think that the following screenshot is Rosalina's upward aerial. It looks way more like a forward aerial, since it's too low-angled to hit anyone from straight above.

Anyway, two Lucario pics + Palkia + Rosalina's cosmic dress + Mother Brain, equals a rather interesting week.

Now, judging by the way that the newcomer articles will be handled, it's not going to be until March 7 that it'll be time for me to start covering Rosalina's article. In other words...

2/10 - 2/14: Mega Man Part 1
2/17 - 2/21: Mega Man Part 2
2/24 - 2/28: Wii Fit Trainer Part 1
3/3 - 3/7: Wii Fit Trainer Part 2

Hopefully before that time comes, we might get more screenshots of her that may prove to be useful.
Would you suggest that is not in fact her Uair but her Fair?

And that seems about right. I will contact you regarding Rosalina when it's time for to come.

I still need to find someone to write up about WFT.

I'd be happy to be a guest sometime, if you are willing @ Venus of the Desert Bloom Venus of the Desert Bloom ...
Happy that I got a bit of a shout out this time, I've been waiting for this...
Ok, I'll contact you about helping sometime next week :). Thanks.

Last edited:

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Just wait until Little Mac's reveal.
I am prepared to do an extensive moveset speculation on him.
I would volunteer for K. Rool, Palutena, and Ridley, but @BKupa666, @ Admiral Pit Admiral Pit , and @Oasis_S are best suited for those, respectively.
I'm flattered, but I kinda had help from some fellow intense Palutena supporters, in case I forget anything. iirc, @BluePikmin11 is one of the big ones, but if I'm in when it comes to Palutena, I'll be honored.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Would you suggest that is not in fact her Uair but her Fair?
I've pretty much thought that that aerial move was a forward aerial when it became clear to me that it doesn't go high enough to really count as an upward aerial.

I'll most likely compare that move to the upward aerials from the other characters, just to further prove my point.

And that seems about right. I will contact you regarding Rosalina when it's time for to come.
Will do. I was thinking that when it's time for me to start the Rosalina article, I'll set up a conversation with you, regarding my rough drafts.

I still need to find someone to write up about WFT.
Good luck with doing that. I have no interests in covering the Wii Fit Trainer article.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Egads!! This issue has been open for far too long! As of right now, I have begun writing the next edition so please stay tuned!

I would also like to thank @ Sarki Soliloquy Sarki Soliloquy for writing that brilliant Villager analysis! Make sure you thank him for writing it up :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom