• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

WE IN THERE! Street Fighter player picks up Melee!

CircleOne

Smash Rookie
Yo guys whats good?
I'm a fairly new Melee player that came from the competitive SF scene (mainly 3rd Strike but I'm pretty good at SF4 too) after I watched the godly thing known as the Smash Documentary. Watching that doc changed my life forever...as I watched it, I said to myself, "WHY THE HELL AM I NOT PLAYING THIS GAME!? THIS IS THE MOST AMAZING THING IVE EVER SEEN IN MY LIFE!!!" So, days after, I called up some buddies of mine that I knew played Melee, borrowed a GC, Melee and a couple controllers and went balls deep into the lab. Been hooked ever since.

I followed the Smash scene (Yes, Brawl too...I aint got no beef with Brawl or the players) for a really long time, I just never paid attention to it. I mean, I respected the players as much as I would the SF scene because I feel we should all support each other, regardless of what game we play, and I never really watched high level play or things of that nature because I was focused on SF so much...I played Melee for fun when I was young but thats about it.

I played C. Falcon when I was younger so I thought, "Why the hell not?". Tried him for a while and realized that I needed to get better, skill wise, before I could handle him so I tried Ganon...and I fell in love. As time progressed and I got slowly got better, I just stuck with Ganon. I play Peach also because I watched Armada play her for the 1st time and immediately wanted to learn her. I also feel shes a better pick for characters like Marth/IC.

ANOTHER NOTE: I wanna say something really quick to all the new players coming in to Melee...DONT. GET. DISCOURAGED! I know this game is 12-13 years old and theres a HUGE skill gap but you can overcome that. You just need to be confident and learn as much as you can. Melee is a great game and I feel that one of the main problems it has with inviting new players is the skill it requires you to have to play at a high level and the gap of skill between players that have been playing for YEARS and you, who just barely started. From a new player to another, dont get discouraged and learn as much as you can! This game deserves more players and more attention!

Anyway, thats about it for me guys. I really wanna get better at this game and learn as much as I can!

Hokori

Great King of Evil
It's really nice to know how much impact the Smash Bros. Documentary had on a lot of people :)

And s/o to the choice of maining the 'Dorf. Hope you enjoy your time here and your time playing competitive Smash!

CircleOne

Smash Rookie
Thanks guys! Yeah I joined Smashboards hoping to start up the Melee scene here in the tip-o-texas again. I knew there was a HUGE scene for it a long time ago but I talked to a bunch of really good players and they said the scene has died since then. Gonna try my best to get a scene up and running again so I can get some good tournaments/casuals going.

Top Bottom