• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ways to improving my Mega Man neutral game/spacing

superange

Smash Cadet
NNID
superange128
3DS FC
1032-2052-1009
This is what I tend to do during Mega Man's neutral game (no customs)

* Neutral As when they are just in range, sometimes mix jumping
* Simple thrown Metal Blades
* Metal Blade thrown to your feet, pick up, then find a different opportunity to throw
* Aerial thrown diagonal Metal Blade that would ideally hit your opponent, land behind them than you can get later.
* Shield/Dash Grabs if they're in range and I don't feel I can get punished

* Occasional Crash Bomber
* Occasional Down Tilt/Dash Attacks for Grounded punishes
* Occasional Full Hop Dairs
* Occasional Leaf Shields for potential grabs (or bluffing)
* Fair/Bair/Nair for predicted jump ins or attempts to get them in the air

Since Mega Man doesn't have many up close safe options, I feel like most of the time I'm mostly just spamming Neutral A, metal blades at mid range, grabs at close range and mixing up doing one of the other options.

Am I doing his neutral game correctly or is there more I should/could be doing?

Also against a half decent opponent (at least for me), KOing an opponent is really difficult to do consistently.

Forward Smashes are really easy to shield (or reflect/absorb) at mid/long range and easy to punish at short-ish range. Up Smash can only be used to punish a bad landing maybe. Down Smash is pretty much only good for punishing a an obvious roller (which most good players aren't). Up Air and Down Air kills are very situational.

Bair and Backthrows off the ledge are the most consistent ways for me to get KOs, but Bair you have to catch them in the air (and they don't air dodge) and with Backthrow you have to get them behind them and grab (which isn't always easy to do).

Based on what I've posted, can anyone provide tips on how to improve my Mega Man game?

Thanks.

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
You have his neutral game down pretty good.

Finishing moves generally are Bair, shoryuken, Fsmash, Bthrow and Usmash (generally)

If you can keep your opponent away from you that is the goal in most matchups (except some lower tiers)

I find doing zigma uppers (diagonal down throw MB to buffered Utilt) can be great for kills although I prefer to do them with a straight down thrown MB.

Also thrown item MB to jab lock can be great for certain characters.

I find mega is really good at edge guarding and gimping as well, he has many options for keeping opponents offstage.

p1ay6ack

Smash Journeyman
depends on the MU. knowing your frames and your opp frames while spacing is really good. keep in mind the startup/endlag of your move and your opp's move. it's kinda hard to elaborate in detail how specific setups go in a MU, but that's what I'm working on atm. also you dont always have to move. when your opp is trying to get up from the floor, you dont have to be at their face immediatly.

read your opp's move and act accordingly

Last edited:

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
Try to go fo Nairs or Fairs once in a while. they are not great moves, but ppeople usually expect them, hich allows you to go for a Tomahawk. If you hit with them, you can gain some space again and start to throw projectiles again. Nair can ill at high % too, but don't rely on it too much.
Small edit : Don't forget that Ftilt can lead into a Nair sometimes, and you can use Ftilt 1, 2 or 3 times then jump back to respace yourself after approaching.

Last edited:
Top Bottom