• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Ways to improve gameplay using the Wii-mote and nunchuck

«◆Jοhηηγ◆»

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Johnnycay
3DS FC
4983-5527-1165

So I have been using the Wii-mote and nunchuck to play smash ever since I started to dive deeper into the meta game back in 2012.

I tend to side dodge too much and I get beaten by the more experienced players online, I also want to main a variety of characters so I can have more interesting fights online.

I just wanted to know if there are any tips and tricks I should know about while using the Wii-mote/Nunchuck or just ways to stop the habbit of side dodging too much.. That's all (•//~//•)

Last edited:

Pudgetalks

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Anchorboy7
Buy a Gamecube Controller

No but seriously buy a GC controller the idk how you can use that monstrosity of a control scheme, it will take some getting used to but will be worth it in the long run.

TastyCarcass

Smash Apprentice
I've always used a gamecube controller, but I can see the advantages of the WM+N.
You do get to do a really relaxed pose and do dances whilst playing with Wii Mote and Nunchuck, both your hands can be separated.
To be closer to gameplay, I think it's easier to walk rather than running. On the Gamecube controller for Smash 4, the analog stick seems to be too sensitive, so I end up running when I don't want to. You can use the Wii D-Pad to walk if you wanted to.
Also it might just be a good idea to keep the control schemes between Melee and 4 different to avoid any potential confusion or to not effect tech between games.

Rexcalibr

Smash Apprentice
I have a GameCube controller and the adapter. I don't like it and I think most of the people who prefer it were just used to it because of Melee. I think the Pro Controller is better.

Never tried the nunchuck but I doubt I would like it.

Aldolies

Smash Rookie
In my opinion a the GC controller is the most confortable. But i don't see any competitive adventage when using the WM+N.
and about your habit u could replay your matches and constantly play against experienced and improve your game

TeddyBearYoshi

Banned via Warnings
Buy a Gamecube adapter/controller. Don't hurt yourself as you do.

I have a GameCube controller and the adapter. I don't like it and I think most of the people who prefer it were just used to it because of Melee. I think the Pro Controller is better.

Never tried the nunchuck but I doubt I would like it.
I hate playing Melee, but the Gamecube controller is basically just blatantly better.

randa20

Smash Rookie
NNID
Randa20
I have been playing with the WM/N since brawl came out and i just can't seem to switch. I just got so used to it!! I don't think i'll ever switch back. But i used to dodge a lot too and unfortunately you just have to get over the bad habit. You honestly just have to find a style that works for you and once you really get used to it you will beat the experienced players. Trust me i do it all the time! Good luck :)

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
Throw it out a window and buy either a gamepad or a classic controller.

There's never been a Gamecube in my house, so I've only used a gamecube controller like once. But 99.9% of Smash Bros. Players use it, so that and an adaptor may be good too.

JNOON

Smash Rookie
C for grab, Z for dodge, A for Attack, B for Special, Analog stick for movement and jumping. Tips to note side dodge - perhaps, don't side dodge?

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
I do agree that the gamecube controller is superior... but considering the thread title.

A friend of mine switched the trigger and C buttons... with some good results. he says low jumping is so much easier that way which opened up some tactics he struggled to do before.

Side dodging... that is a problem that I suspect has nothing to do with the control scheme. All I can suggest there is go into some casual matches and force yourself to shield and spot dodge... even where a side dodge would work. Get used to doing those things, then implement it all together.

ExiaPilotDedede

Smash Apprentice
My way of improving gameplay with the wm/n is setting a bind to the a+b combo. I love setting it to jump and accidentally jumping every now and then. After all, if I have no ides it's going to happen, then how will my opponent ever read it?

The one thing that is 100% superior on wm/n is the ability not get hand cramps and being able to just lay down with my hands on either side of my body.

ItsMeBrandon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HumanMaleBrandon
The Wiimote and Nunchuk style is considered inferior to most other controllers competitively, but I use it and don't see any problems, so my first piece of advice is to not cave in to everyone telling you to drop the control scheme. You can try out other controllers and see if you like them, of course, but if you prefer the WM/N style, don't be afraid to use it.

As for your issue, I'd say it's either your play style or your reflexes. Using a certain control scheme doesn't make you more likely to use a move over another unless your muscle memory is involved, which would be harder to work with than your play style. If spot-dodging frequently seems to be just how you play, then you'll want to focus more on improving your skills.

LeWall

Smash Cadet
NNID
Eriiluup
Get a GameCube Controller, more buttons mean more possibilities! and Wired for the win.

Raijinken

Smash Master
While I share the sentiments of the people suggesting the Gamecube controller (or the Pro controller), in this case, your rolling habit is unrelated to the controller itself. If you have players nearby who could reliably punish you on rolls, get them to do so until you start automatically evaluating for (and using) better options as the situation calls. Of course, rolling is not, in itself, bad, so there will definitely be times you want to roll. Just don't spam it.

Top Bottom