• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ways to approach?

木西Galaxy

Smash Rookie
I have been using his fireball to approach, but players obviously pick up on that extremely fast. I have been using weegee cyclone as a sort of way to reset the balance (as it throws the opponent into the air on while used on the ground), but that's not really an approach option. Any tips? :)

Last edited:

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
There's also tornado that helps.

But aside from tornado, fireball, or a lucky misfire...that's about it for good approach. Approaching is not one of Luigi's strong suits.

hey_there

Smash Journeyman
Short Hop fair/dair, Luigi Cyclone, Fireball, and SH bair. Space the SH bair so you can condition your opponent to shield and you can slip in a dash grab, so that's another option, too. A sliding dsmash is also something to keep in mind, though the opportunity doesn't come up often.

D

Deleted member

Approaching is a major weakness for Luigi since he lacks range. He does have some nice approaching tools, though.
1. Fireball: Use it on the ground or even in the air. Hell, you can spam it if you like! It will help Luigi get in on an opponent who shielded a Fireball or got hit by one. By that point, Luigi can rush in and grab. Don't do this too often as you will be pretty predictable.
2. Short Hop Fair / Dair / Bair: Luigi has powerful aerials, use them to your advantage! The attacks don't have the greatest range, but they will help Luigi get in and it is a good alternative for him. Sometimes opponents will shield the aerials; fast fall and THEN grab or follow up with yet another move.
3. Luigi Cyclone: This is a multi-hit move that can create nasty setups and combos. You can use the Luigi Cyclone to follow up with another move or aerial. You have to be careful that this isn't always the safest approaching tool for Luigi as it can be easily blocked as well; the ending animation for the Luigi Cyclone will leave him wide open and you will get punished. I would alternate this one in between his other approaches.

You can also use the Green Missile, but I am not a fan of that one since you will get a good hit or look silly for even using it. I wouldn't use the dash attack as a primary way to approach, but I would occasionally mix it up if my opponent rolls a bit too much.

speedguy20

Smash Cadet
NNID
speedguy20
I use Luigi's Nair becuse it's quick, and has next to no landing lag, and can also be used for baiting.

Top Bottom