• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ways Project: M could make itself even more unique.

Marthmario

Smash Lord
First off, I love P:M. It's amazing. But the remnants of Brawl stills come through. So what if Project:M remakes the character portraits? That would certainly help.

Paradoxium

Smash Master
I would like to see new special effects, just to add a little more flare.

But I would like to see a design overhaul to the point where it doesn't even resemble brawl, and people won't mistake for brawl. That would be way to much work though, but damn would it be cool

NisforSmash

Smash Journeyman

^ Make the menu screens more monochromatic. The versus, solo, play online, vault, options and data buttons should be white/grey until the cursor comes over it. then it should change into the pm bluish purply color (make it something like this). The background of the mode select screen, character select screen and stage select screen don't match at all. One is half grid half universe(pictured above), one is a newer version of melee's grid (css) and the other is just a plain grid (sss). Unify the background's between all three selection screens. Also update the text to match the new pm logo text.

Other things
- add camera shake
- change the 3.2.1.GO.GAME! text for matches to be like the scheme above. (this)

can't really think of*cough* pichu *cough* anything else.

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
I think just the clever incorporation of more purple would make a big difference.

1. Give every character a purple costume
2. Menu screens and the countdown like NisforSmash said
3. Something in the results screen, custom PM background instead of Melee's empty void

Those all would help give PM its own identity even more than it already has, but they wouldn't really help the issue of people coming in to a stream in the middle of a match and legitimately asking if the game was Brawl.

I'm a huge advocate of getting this stage edit or one very similar to it as part of the official release:

And I also think Smashville should be changed visually, to differentiate it from Brawl's Smashville, which is by far the most popular stage in that game and has an almost iconic status. PM-ifying Smashville would go a long way to show that this is a different game.

Last edited:

The_NZA

Smash Lord
-Make the vibrant pack or Smash 3 pack the standard.
-Make sound effects the best of breed from all three games.
-New effects like the light effect.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Brawl does kind of look depressing.

Characters being brighter isn't a bad thing and fits a fun and fast paced game better than the theme that brawl had going.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
First off, I love P:M. It's amazing. But the remnants of Brawl stills come through. So what if Project:M remakes the character portraits? That would certainly help.
http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=35535
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7ysw6vjiktszu0j/SJS Stock PM.brres

Don't worry, while the image may show the old warning signs there, they're gone already in he actual download.

The second link is stock icons for to match those CSPs.

Brawl does kind of look depressing.

Characters being brighter isn't a bad thing and fits a fun and fast paced game better than the theme that brawl had going.
Keep your eye on the Smash 3 Project, then.

http://forums.kc-mm.com/index.php?topic=63270.0

Last edited:

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
I would love to see a new menu background as well, the current is kind of space-generic, i would like i to be inspired from SSB64 or Melee, where the word smash bros is seen in the background with hologram, like figures moving in the backgrond.

210stuna

Smash Lord
S.H.O.P.

SJS

SMASH 3

EDIT: Long story short, everything you mentioned in the OP can be addressed by yourself. Everything is a simple matter of downloading, and then drag & drop onto your SD card. It cannot be any easier than that.

Last edited:

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
I think the point is to make the Official PM Package have some more differentiations from Brawl.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
I think the point is to make the Official PM Package have some more differentiations from Brawl.
We understand that. We're simply giving everyone some other very professionally done alternatives that looks official enough to hold them off since we have no idea if such a thing will actually happen for P:M.

210stuna

Smash Lord
We understand that. We're simply giving everyone some other very professionally done alternatives that looks official enough to hold them off since we have no idea if such a thing will actually happen for P:M.
That way if people see more of this grade-A custom content, that is in fact uniformed as far as SJS's CSPs and CSS goes, then not only are those seeking a different vibe than Brawl can finally be satisfied by using it for Project: M but also if more people recognize it then they might suggest it to the PMBR.

It doesn't guarantee anything though for the future, like all customization, it's a personal preference. Overall it's better than making more of the obnoxious "The PMBR Should do This or Change This" threads when stuff like that already exists.

Last edited:

Pika_thunder

Smash Apprentice
Theytah's custom project m build should be the official version!
If you don't know theytah, you should check him out!

Jordan

Smash Rookie
One thing I'd really like is the option to use Fox's and Falco's melee voice, I really dislike the Brawl voices. Or they could just plain replace it :p

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
That expansion which has a lot of alt costumes and new effects - like Ice Mario and Ice Luigi - P:M should have more stuff like that.

The Brawl team only had so much time on their hands, but here there's a lot of talented people willing to put in the time and effort to truly make P:M as Smash game pay homage to every single one of the Nintendo franchises it represents. Ultimately, P:M is all about how much we love this game and the company behind it and it should reflect that somewhere down the line.

That said, I believe it has been stated before that the PMBR plans to put in original content - like music - into the mod, so I think a design differentiation from Brawl, while mostly within the limits of modifying the existing Brawl graphics, is not too far off.

Kankato

Smash Journeyman
One thing I'd really like is the option to use Fox's and Falco's melee voice, I really dislike the Brawl voices. Or they could just plain replace it :p
While we're on the subject, I think adding Marth's melee sword sfx would be fantastic. The brawl sword lacks the punch of melee's.

Last edited:

Phaiyte

Smash Ace
I actually really love all the purple in this game. If a character has a purple skin I almost always use it. Marth's is just too sexy to not use, anyway

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
so i've been thinking. what about PMBR getting some musicians together and doing their own rendition of the smash theme?
I dunno about that, but they've already said they're working on original music for the game, so maybe it'll happen

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
CSPs/CSS and costumes are the two exceptions I'd say PM could leave out. People like to customize it too much and with Smash 3 where it's at now, there's always the ability to use that. I'd like to see continued efforts on making the menus different and maybe a distinguishing trait on the battle HUD perhaps (I've heard using a watermark has been brought up, but I don't think the response was positive).

Xenozoa425

Smash Ace
NNID
tehross425
3DS FC
3754-7153-5146
Things like these would be better off being implemented by the individual user, since adding all this stuff would just inflate the file size and download times of Project M, making it more tedious for everyone. It really doesn't get much simpler than just dragging and placing files to their proper locations.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Things like these would be better off being implemented by the individual user, since adding all this stuff would just inflate the file size and download times of Project M, making it more tedious for everyone. It really doesn't get much simpler than just dragging and placing files to their proper locations.
But it makes the game look prettier ;_;

foxygrandpa

Smash Journeyman
I thought it might be cool if they could somehow make it so that stages have skins of some sort. Like the way smashville has a concert at a certain time, but make it so that you can change to it when you want....dont even know if thats possible though....

Phaiyte

Smash Ace
I dunno about that, but they've already said they're working on original music for the game, so maybe it'll happen
I possess music skills if that's an actual thing, and I'm willing to put in some work on it. My friend and I are already in the middle of developing our own menu theme.

TheFadedWarrior

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MortifiedPanda
Theytah's custom project m build should be the official version!
If you don't know theytah, you should check him out!
Yeah, TheytahK's build is pretty cool, but you should check out NFreak's. It has way more stuff, and lots of the "alternate" costumes aren't just recolors, they're actually different models. Theytah's are probably all custom, but NFreak pretty much just took half the stuff from BrawlVault and put it together.

Stryker

Smash Journeyman
More Project M Purple!
This is one theming choice that I adore about this game.Make the results screen purple, make the character select screen purple. Hell, GIVE ALL THE CHARACTER SPECIALTY PROJECT M PURPLE COSTUMES.
Seriously, I just can't get enough. It's such a nice shade of purple.

Phaiyte

Smash Ace
Am I the only one that actually kind of hates "custom builds" with an excess of ridiculous alternate character models and any amount of J content?

PastLink

Smash Journeyman
Am I the only one that actually kind of hates "custom builds" with an excess of ridiculous alternate character models and any amount of J content?
only because the ones i have played like that lag horribly and are a pain to play, they run well enough until you need them to and then you die because the game decides to take a breath and forgets what your input was.

Year of the Melee

Smash Rookie
After watching some PM videos, here's what I have to say:

Better voice clips for some of the characters - they don't have to be the Melee clips, though that would be preferred. Ganondorf still sounds like a constipated old man, Fox sounds bland, Ness sounds too old, and so on...

Last edited:
Top Bottom