• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wavelanding on Roof of Onett?

bigafromusclekid

Smash Cadet
I was playing some friendlies when I used link's nair and slid down slanted roof of Onett in a Waveland fasion. Could this be a possible wavelanding solution since a lot of the stages have slants? Maybe a possible mindgame?

I believe I just held down on the control stick and I slid down automatically.

Vortok

Smash Journeyman
No. That's the physics engine at work. It does that for lots of characters on slanted surfaces. I've done it lots of times (think I see it a lot on Toon Link's ship stage). Also, it's not helpful if you're recovering from an attack, which means you're vulnerable. At best, it can be used to retreat from certain spots of certain stages.

Also, old news. We saw vids of Wario doing this on the Halberd stage (mid-air portion of the stage, so bottom is slanted) well before Brawl was released.

mugwhump

Smash Journeyman
Yeah slanted surfaces are really interesting in brawl. Fastfalling an aerial onto a slant can make you slide far enough away that you can avoid a counterattack if your opponent blocks. I think this will be a big part of playing on Yoshi's Story and... Starfox land. :bee:

bigafromusclekid

Smash Cadet
Yeah, I just remember nairing then sliding down like a waveland and then fairing. It just seems it could have some practical uses

wakka444

Smash Ace
I'm gonna cover some of the properties of wavelanding in brawl because it is there as useless as it may be at the moment.

When you airdodge you will move in the direction you are already going, so if you airdodge the moment you jump you'll go up and if you are moving you will also move up and in that direction, now to waveland in brawl the character needs to already be moving in the direction you want to waveland, which is toward the ground(which means your character is falling from the jump) and you need to have some sort of momentum because once you airdodge that momentum goes to the airdodge. This will aim your airdodge to the ground and you will slide exactly like a waveland, if done wrong youll do in immediate dodgeroll or nothing, you wont slide very far either.

Unless you are on a level with a big slant(think yoshi story) if you were to do a waveland there you will slide much farther and looks cool but probably not useful, but when sffling and dashdancing and pivots and so on appeared in melee they seemed useless to me and i was wrong obviously, so time will tell.

Top Bottom