• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

waveland

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
Did you... I... hm. How do I put this.

Congratulations! You've discovered Mewtwo's waveland. It travels farther than his wavedash because unlike a wavedash, you can waveland with a perfectly horizontal input when timed correctly. This is true of any character, Mewtwo just happens to have one of the best wavedash/waveland distances in the game.

It's not broken, but it's a very useful tool because it keeps you moving at relatively high speed as you land.

Last edited:

steelguttey

mei is bei
no...

its a waveland.

you go half the stage cause wavelands go further than wavedashes on some characters. its the same with ganon

it works front and back

also, backjumps arent different from forward jump except in animation

stop double posting

Last edited:

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
Trust me bro, its a waveland. Mewtwo just has a really long one.

Last edited:

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
I don't think so keep trying I know its not the waveland as it only works on the back jump
It's a waveland. I do them all the time, forwards and back. Try it with Luigi, Squirtle, or ICs, theirs go even farther. Lucas goes nearly as far as Mewtwo iirc.

Also try not to double/triple post, there's an edit button.

Last edited:

Plebiscuit

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
CARL#168
Other than slippery platform tricks, what good applications does his (Mewtwo's specifically) waveland have that his regular wavedash doesn't?

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
Other than slippery platform tricks, what good applications does his (Mewtwo's specifically) waveland have that his regular wavedash doesn't?
More slippery platform tricks!

Wavelanding off the ledge is the obvious one. If you're fast you can retain some invincibility coming off the ledge, but I'm not sure what Mewtwo's optimal frame count is off hand. Mewtwo doesn't abuse aerials into waveland as much as say... Luigi, because hover cancels and stuff.

Dmanofthedeli

Smash Rookie
hmm so I guess id ask now how come you never see anyone do this at high level play? I've seen most of emu's and frozen's stuff and I don't remember seeing it. is it considered to risky to use or something? and im not gana edit my post to pretend like I never messed up id rather just bask in the humility

Pr0fessor Flash

Smash Master
NNID
Snake_Midwest
3DS FC
1993-8618-5171
hmm so I guess id ask now how come you never see anyone do this at high level play? I've seen most of emu's and frozen's stuff and I don't remember seeing it. is it considered to risky to use or something? and im not gana edit my post to pretend like I never messed up id rather just bask in the humility
Its technically a Waveland https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zexwVu-kh-I the long wavedashes Ganon Mains do is a waveland I'm not saying its useless but its called a Waveland hopefully you will Understand this

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
Two main reasons.

One, nearly all platforms on legal stages are shorter than Mewtwo's perfect waveland. The platform on Yoshi's Island is almost exactly as long as his best wavedash, though there's the complication of it angling. Norfair is the only page 1 stage with a wide enough platform to fully capitalize on it, and that's only in the configuration where the two platforms join together. Norfair was also usually banned in 3.02, though it did have a wide third platform at the time.

Two, Mewtwo has a lot of good movement options, they just require some effort to use. He doesn't often waveland after aerials because he can hover cancel instead of waiting for the IASA frame, or he may have used teleport in which case he's no longer able to airdodge until he lands. Speaking of which, autocancel teleport is a powerful and flexible movement option that is useful in many situations where others would waveland.

Approaching with it isn't all that different from approaching with a wavedash (something you'll find more commonplace in 3.5), but you'll see more wavedash approaches since you can do that straight from the ground. Waveland approaches would only occur if you had some reason to be in the air at midrange beforehand; the slight increase in distance over a perfect wavedash isn't worth all that wasted time in the air.

Dmanofthedeli

Smash Rookie
hmm that's what I thought u might say the wasted time in air, but at least with me it seems to be so zippy and quick it just seems and preforms REALLY good. to the point im very surprised that me and my training partners have never seen it. But im sorry for creating false hype.

Plebiscuit

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
CARL#168
If anyone does discover some crazy glitch/tech that lets us do something cool but obviously unintended like hover out of tele: keep it a secret until after 3.52 drops. That would just about make the rest of Mewtwo's year.

Top Bottom