• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

WaveDashing In SSBB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
Not everyone, but most of the people in this thread I think I can. I'll be at pound and I'm willing to do a $2 money match best of 3 1 hand versus 2 hand against you if you want.
Hmm...I'm sure you could beat me but I seriously doubt you could do it 1-handed. Who do you main? I probably won't be at Pound, anyway. Too ****ing far away. :(

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
even though u can, it doesnt serve the same situational purposes as a wavedash to fsmash.
Well for Marth it very much does. Pivoting is superior to wavesmashing in almost every situation as it takes fewer frames. It's just much more difficult.

Wavedash with Marth is still very important. I just don't think waveSMASHING is all that necessary.

Banks

Smash Hero
Yea AZ, 20 bucks at Pound should be great. why don't you money match my little bro while your at it, I'm sure you are better than wife's peach, it was close between them too but wife ended up paying out 3-to-1 odds. You shouldn't go making claims about a group of people when you don't know whos in it.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
There was a thread about one hand smash. I can't remember who was good at it other than AZ but I remember than they can't WD or SHFFL [not sure about this one].

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Banks: I have no problem doing a money match using one hand versus you or your brother. I never have exceeded $2 before, so I'm not gonna change that practice now. The comment mentioned *most* of the people in this thread, and I'll stand by that. I'm not saying that I'm gonna make judgements based on join date and everything, but simply by how you post/how long you've been around you shouldn't have considered yourself in that grouping of people. Even so, anyone who wants to take me up on the $2 mm 1 hand offer can do it. I'll be at Pound, Cok III, FC, MLG NY, probably a bunch of MD/VA tournaments this summer. Essentially, if you attend any of the big tournaments this year you (general you, I'm no longer directing this toward only you banks) should be able to play me.

Red: Yea I made that thread. You can't wavedash and its very difficult to shuffle. Chu and I try to Lcancel as many attack as we can but its really difficult. Float canceling with Peach can make up for it, but Peach isn't the only character I use with one hand so it's not the end all be all of tactics...sigh.

mrvblonde

Smash Cadet
yeah banks it's me...even though i don't know who you are, lol...

-----------------------------------------------------

and shai hulud i never said i could pivot perfectly, i mean no offense but that technique is pretty hard for me and i can get it right 50% of the time :)

-----------------------------------------------------

and if i'm lucky i'll get to play alphazealot in the mlg tourney on may 5, you can pwn me with your one-hand ownage x_X

Banks

Smash Hero
AZ: i apologize, I didn't know you had a thread about one handed smashing. I thought that was an insult, offering to do a one handed mm with me v_V. I didn't know you were serious about it..sorry. but yea we can do a five dollar mm at pound two hands per person, or the 2 dollar one hand if you want >_>.

ok after rereading your posts, its obvious you really do the one handed matches, i misunderstood as you saying that as a figure of speech like everyone sucked and you could beat them with "one hand behind your back" whoopsie, no harm done =)

REO: yea i just talked to you once, i forgot about what...

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
Banks: I have no problem doing a money match using one hand versus you or your brother. I never have exceeded $2 before, so I'm not gonna change that practice now. The comment mentioned *most* of the people in this thread, and I'll stand by that. I'm not saying that I'm gonna make judgements based on join date and everything, but simply by how you post/how long you've been around you shouldn't have considered yourself in that grouping of people. Even so, anyone who wants to take me up on the $2 mm 1 hand offer can do it. I'll be at Pound, Cok III, FC, MLG NY, probably a bunch of MD/VA tournaments this summer. Essentially, if you attend any of the big tournaments this year you (general you, I'm no longer directing this toward only you banks) should be able to play me.

Red: Yea I made that thread. You can't wavedash and its very difficult to shuffle. Chu and I try to Lcancel as many attack as we can but its really difficult. Float canceling with Peach can make up for it, but Peach isn't the only character I use with one hand so it's not the end all be all of tactics...sigh.
If you can't L-cancel consistently then I don't see how you could possibly beat my Ice Climbers. Missed L-cancel = grab = death.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Lol considering I'm a Peach main Lcanceling isn't at my highest priority, especially with one hand. Float canceling ftw.

Shai: Will you be at pound/fc/ny?

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Peach is the best IC counter, 1 dsmash is enough to screw them up, especially when they desynch, as an IC player I know [although I haven't played enough good people to really say it helped them, I can't wobble btw].

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
LOL @ wobbling someone playing with one hand. Real classy.
Eh, I'm just saying he couldn't beat me with one hand and giving a solid reason. I know it's not classy but neither is telling 100 people you're so much better than them you will MM them with one hand and win.

gkrackerr

Smash Ace
sorry if this has already been mentioned in the thread (didn't see it anywhere in the first 5 pages), but i just watched the second brawl trailer again (here's the link to the video i saw http://youtube.com/watch?v=CouZI6S3daw), and while watching this, i saw something weird between seconds 52-53. Kirby is doing an up b to meta knight, and at second 52, meta is just standing there, and as the movie went to 53, he seemed to just glide backwards, quite quickly, behind kirgy and then attack him. This seemed like a wavedash like in ssbm

Now seeing this made me wonder if it was a wavedash, or as some people might have suggested in this thread, to just be a redefined roll that moves faster.

and on the side, i am defenitely for wavedashing in brawl
what are your guys thoughts?

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
Lol considering I'm a Peach main Lcanceling isn't at my highest priority, especially with one hand. Float canceling ftw.

Shai: Will you be at pound/fc/ny?
I might be able to make it to FC if I can find some people to carpool with. Those others are way too far though.

I hate Peach. :(

Rakuen

Smash Apprentice
Now seeing this made me wonder if it was a wavedash, or as some people might have suggested in this thread, to just be a redefined roll that moves faster.
If I recall correctly, Meta Knight's dodge from Super Star was a sliding aura. So it could just be his specific roll, and not be indicative of any movement retuning, rolling or otherwise.

Zero_KoH

Smash Rookie
Just joined the forums, but have been playing for a while.

I think wavedashing is something that should be kept. It added a whole dynamic to the game, that neither dashing, walking, or dodgerolling could offer.

I'm pretty sure the game will be awesome regardless, but I still hope they keep wavedashing.

Danbearking0

Smash Apprentice
This is my first post on smashboards and i am conserned about wave dash. One of the main problems with wave dash is foxes waveshine. Well i have an idea that may sound crazy. what if fox has NO wavedash. Does he really need it? Told ya it was a crazy idea

10th-Karma

Smash Apprentice
WDing is gonna stay I think. The only thing is that it might be regulated a bit so characters don't have unnaturally long wavedashes like Luigi :-(

I wouldn't mind keeping wavedashing the way it is though since it's like 100% of my mindgames.

Oh man I just hope that Luigi has his vaccuum as his token smash cuz that would be sweetness!

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
^^ I agree about luigis smash. I actually like his moves bu this forward smash is excesivly gay, and does his dash attack have to suck -THAT- much?! I think Luigis Dash attack needs rework, he looks like a crying child O.o

cyberdemon

Smash Journeyman
Luigi's speed would be lowered by almost 80% without the wavedash. It's vital to any Luigi's game.

Banks

Smash Hero
yea actually if they gave fox more or less traction so a waveshine isnt an option then thatd nerf him a bit

HideousBeing

Smash Ace
If WDing is kept in Brawl, it means that Nintendo has acknowledged its existence and fairness or usefulness. If this is done, wouldn't they address it the next how to play video or at least the game manual? So here's what I'm wondering: If Nintendo indeed keeps WDing in Brawl, and admits it has a place in the game, what will they call it? Wavedashing is a coined term- not one the game makers provided. Would they follow the smash community's term? That would be flattering! :) The how to play video would say: "Dodge diagonally into the ground right after jumping to perform a wavedash." Or will they rename it? Maybe they'll call it a slide. Speculation?

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
If WDing is kept in Brawl, it means that Nintendo has acknowledged its existence and fairness or usefulness. If this is done, wouldn't they address it the next how to play video or at least the game manual? So here's what I'm wondering: If Nintendo indeed keeps WDing in Brawl, and admits it has a place in the game, what will they call it? Wavedashing is a coined term- not one the game makers provided. Would they follow the smash community's term? That would be flattering! :) The how to play video would say: "Dodge diagonally into the ground right after jumping to perform a wavedash." Or will they rename it? Maybe they'll call it a slide. Speculation?
They'll do what they did with L-cancelling, short hopping, fast falling, teching, jumping out of your shield, and all the other things that worked in both SSB and SSBM: Not tell you about it, leave it unnamed, and let people figure it out for themselves.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Luigi's speed would be lowered by almost 80% without the wavedash. It's vital to any Luigi's game.
That would throw my game off a lot with Luigi. That would just be terrible, and Luigi would be a lot lower on the tiers if it wasn't for Wavedashing. Not to mention Wavedashing's removal would throw off a lot of the strategies I use on most of the characters I use a lot, and it would do that with a lot of people.

^^ I agree about luigis smash. I actually like his moves bu this forward smash is excesivly gay, and does his dash attack have to suck -THAT- much?! I think Luigis Dash attack needs rework, he looks like a crying child O.o
Could I agree with you more=? That dash attack sucks so bad, I have to find so many alternatives to it=basically a useless attack.

If WDing is kept in Brawl, it means that Nintendo has acknowledged its existence and fairness or usefulness. If this is done, wouldn't they address it the next how to play video or at least the game manual? So here's what I'm wondering: If Nintendo indeed keeps WDing in Brawl, and admits it has a place in the game, what will they call it? Wavedashing is a coined term- not one the game makers provided. Would they follow the smash community's term? That would be flattering! The how to play video would say: "Dodge diagonally into the ground right after jumping to perform a wavedash." Or will they rename it? Maybe they'll call it a slide. Speculation?
I have no clue Wavedashing would be called if Nintendo or anyone gave it a official name, but I bet it would still be called Wavedashing because of how much it has been said already. Intresting question, to say the least, I would have never thought of the renaming it issue. :)

Seth'White Fox'

Smash Journeyman
Inbewteen Corneria, Midgar, Mushroom kingdom, and
In my humble oponion it is highly useful, but also highly gamorized.

Its like...
hmmmm...
how to put this...
Cloud in Final Fantasy VII

Cloud is a great character, whos personallity shows almost better then any other RPG character I have ever seen, in fact I belive it IS.

But so many people took that and pushed it farther, comments like: "Cloud is god!" "Cloud could easly kill (Character name here), ect that other people who have not seen it, or who have and thought it was a bit much, got pissed off. They got pissed off beceause they were annoyed that people wouldent shut up about it, so there became a line in which you couldent be on both sides, this WAS NOT a fine line, you were eaither in or your out.

WaveDash is ALOT like this. Its is an over talked about move. Its effects ARE great, but not half as great as the majority of the people say it is. Beceause of this if you use it, you'll get yelled at by the people who dont:"Liek j00 are so a H44x0R m@n!". But if you don't use it everybody else will say things like:"LoL j00 sux0rz, Newb go die! l3rn to Wavedsh or g2t pwnd!"*COUGHDYLN_TNGACOUGH*

Thats my two cents.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
WaveDash is ALOT like this. Its is an over talked about move. Its effects ARE great, but not half as great as the majority of the people say it is. Beceause of this if you use it, you'll get yelled at by the people who dont:"Liek j00 are so a H44x0R m@n!". But if you don't use it everybody else will say thinks like:"LoL j00 sux0rz, Newb go die! l3rn to Wavedsh or g2t pwnd!"*COUGHDYLN_TNGACOUGH*
Yes, but the whole thing is thrown off balance by Aniki, and then you get the classic.

''But.... ANIKI DUN' WAVEDESH!!1'' argument. And the cycle repeats again.

The thing about wavedashing in melee is with certain characters, its ESSENTIAL. You can avoid doing it if you're playing like, link... or peach or kirby (why) CF or young link (though I dont recomend it, hes speedy with his WD) but with like, marth, shiek, fox, falco, and pretty much everyone else its a necessity... so you dont need to wavedash with certain characters, but with a lot of em ya do, and if you dont use it chances are you would get your *** handed to you in a serious smash match vs someone of my calibur or higher because I'm not even that good relative to the top players, but I could 4 stock a n00b without looking at the screen and get called a cheap shiek player or something.

Im out.

bizybozo

Smash Journeyman
Check it. A real solution.

I love the wavedash, its hard to get down at first, it feels good to accomplish, it's fun and makes your character movement much more fluid. It seperates the hardcore from the noobs, and it makes melee that much faster, and more respectable as a tournament game.

But alas, it has to go. It is, after all, a glitch.

Teching, LCanceling, Shorthopping, these are all Advanced Techniques that have animations/were intended to be in the game. Take a walk back to Smash64. These moves have been there from the beginning. Nintendo is genius - they made a way for smash to be not only a party game, but a true fighting game with advanced techniques to seperate the competitors from the casual gamers.

As a competitive player, I NEED advanced techs to be in brawl. I need there to be a plataue of technical skill to seperate tournament goer's from ignorant scrubs. Teching, L-Cancel's, these will stay in the game.

As for the wavedash, the best solution would be to include some form of advanced tech, but give an intended animation. Just like the Tech-roll ( a technique unmentioned in any published guide), the brawl-WD will be intended, but kept unveiled. And it won't be left in because "removing it would screw up other physics of the game," it will kept in as an intended move for advanced players, which takes skill to perform, and has an animation.

I need to brawl to be fast, but at the same time, even at a tournament level, no glitch should abuse the intended beauty of the game.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
But alas, it has to go. It is, after all, a glitch.

I need to brawl to be fast, but at the same time, even at a tournament level, no glitch should abuse the intended beauty of the game.
glitch
n.

1. A minor malfunction, mishap, or technical problem; a snag: a computer glitch; a navigational glitch; a glitch in the negotiations.
2. A false or spurious electronic signal caused by a brief, unwanted surge of electric power.

Wavedashing isn't a glitch. Im not going to bring up the same arguments over and over so refer to the ''landfallspecial'' portion of melee's debug mode, or ask around about it. wavedashing was ****well known about and left in because it is just a consequences of the physics engine.

It's not a glitch.

HideousBeing

Smash Ace
glitch
n.

1. A minor malfunction, mishap, or technical problem; a snag: a computer glitch; a navigational glitch; a glitch in the negotiations.
2. A false or spurious electronic signal caused by a brief, unwanted surge of electric power.

Wavedashing isn't a glitch. Im not going to bring up the same arguments over and over so refer to the ''landfallspecial'' portion of melee's debug mode, or ask around about it. wavedashing was ****well known about and left in because it is just a consequences of the physics engine.

It's not a glitch.
Right. Bug would be more near the mark. A bug is, to my understanding, an unintended phenomenon or occurrence possible in a game. The infinite superscope ammo glitch, for example, is missnamed. This is not a glitch, but a bug. Bugs work every time. Glitches don't work every time, or rather, don't not work every time. I like to think of it this way: Bugs are software screw-ups. Glitches are hardware screw-ups.

Rakuen

Smash Apprentice
Still wrong, because the developers INTENDED it to happen. Most likely to keep something else from happening (like falling through the floor).

Jem.

Smash Master
I don't want to read through 40 pages of this, but didnt they know about WD, but leave it in Melee on purpose? I can't even think of how crappy/boring fights were before I learned how to wavedash, L cancel, waveshine, ect. It just takes more skill besides mashing smash attacks, which is how it used to be.

I say keep it all in, makes it competitive.

Ipslne

Smash Journeyman
I am for allowing players to **** the in-game physics. And by "****" I mean "take advantage of." Pretty much slipping the code a roofie.

eep the defiler

Smash Apprentice
In the newer of the two brawl trailers, soon after metaknight comes out, the part when kirby comes down over his head it looks like metaknight wavedashes behind kirby and stabs him. This could have just been a backwards dodge but in my opinion it looked like a wavedash.

i think they will include wavedashing even if im wrong about this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom